daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #341
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
GPS-speedcontrol doesnt mean tracking...

its like current GPS devices would be connected to the cars onboard computer and could control the speed...
...and not only to say: YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST!

(mine says: heyya, slow down now! )

except that there is a proposal to introduce ROAD TAX based on your EXACT ROUTE, which will come into effect for lorries 3.5++ tons next year, and for smaller vechicles later

that means the goverment will have records of every single metre you covered, when you did that, and what your exact speed was
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #342
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

only on motorways...

(note: the "government" ALREADY has records on your movements on motorways, the sticker checking cameras record it...)
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #343
gramercy
BANNED

true, but that is still a passive way

this way they know where your garage is located...
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #344
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

How about the police pounding your car and taking your license if you are caught without a seatbelt, overtaking in sharp turns, drunk-driving etc. Maybe that would help the no-safety-freedom-loving-rebels.

In Norway we already have the automatic toll-system, you can pay at certain locations to get your record deleted if you want tough. Else it's deleted withinn 3 months if payed by bill...

From 2012 Abs/Esp is mandatory for new cars in EU, eat that!

I have little doubt that in the future cars will drive themselves, and people will wonder why the hell we let two vehicles in opposite directions meet so close to eachother at high-speeds. Well - one can't judge the past with regards to the future....
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #345
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

How about the police pounding your flat/house and taking you under arrest/guardianship if you are caught drinking, smoking, excessive eating or in a suicide attempt?

afterall U cant choose your death, this is the government's right and task...

ladies and gentlemen, this is the nice new world...

(in hungary there are about:
some 100 unfasten seatbelt fatalities
3000 suicide fatalities
some 10,000 drinking-smoking-overeating fatalities

so, lets concentrate on the largest number... )

Last edited by H123Laci; March 26th, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #346
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenioren View Post
How about the police pounding your car and taking your license if you are caught without a seatbelt, overtaking in sharp turns, drunk-driving etc. Maybe that would help the no-safety-freedom-loving-rebels.
One of the basic ideas of a western justice system is PROPORTIONALITY. Maybe you safety-nazis should get familiar with that.

Quote:
From 2012 Abs/Esp is mandatory for new cars in EU, eat that!
Eat what? Better brakes and better grip makes cars SPORTIER. Eat that.

Quote:
I have little doubt that in the future cars will drive themselves,
and I have little doubt that we will one day discover teleportation

Quote:
and people will wonder why the hell we let two vehicles in opposite directions meet so close to eachother at high-speeds.
erm, maybe otherwise it would be a giant waste of money and asphalt?
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #347
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I don't understand people who don't fasten their seat belts. Will they eat them up?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I don't understand people who don't fasten their seat belts.
Yeah me neither, I usually fasten it before I even start the engine, kinda lika fixed ritual. It makes me feel safe, and I find it even more convenient because you're not pushed by G-forces on for example roundabouts or sharp turns.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #349
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

I think for most of the people who don't wear them it's just a bad habit, especially for older people. They learned to drive without them, so they feel safe enough to drive without it. At least, that would be my explanation.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #350
gramercy
BANNED

yes definitely an age-issue
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #351
ChrisZwolle
Road user

On the other hand, I NEVER have my hands at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions... It was the first thing I dropped after drivers ed. I almost always have one hand on the wheel, and on freeways or other freeflow situation only like three fingers.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #352
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

And the left arm (in left-wheel vehicles) sits on the door.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #353
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Hopefully it doesn't hold a can of Heineken

The habit of not wearing a seat belt probably comes from older cars, which sometimes don't have seat belts for the back seats.
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #354
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah me neither, I usually fasten it before I even start the engine, kinda lika fixed ritual. It makes me feel safe, and I find it even more convenient because you're not pushed by G-forces on for example roundabouts or sharp turns.
I'm the same, just about the first thing I do when I get in the car is fasten my seatbelt. Then, if the conditions cause any doubt at all about visibility, I will turn my headlights on - something that very few other people here seem to do. I was once driving right about sunset with heavy clouds in the sky, so that it was as dark as it normally would be about half an hour after sunset, and around half the other cars on the road did not have their headlights turned on.

Honestly, why do people not realise that visibility is reduced and they need to turn that little knob to the right of the steering wheel? It's not that difficult, and it's not just one or two people that do it, but about 50% of the drivers around here seem to feel that unless it's pitch black they don't need to use their headlights.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #355
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oh yeah, I ALWAYS have my headlights on, regardless of the time of the day. It's not to see, but to be seen
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:26 PM   #356
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Oh yeah, I ALWAYS have my headlights on, regardless of the time of the day. It's not to see, but to be seen
I don't turn mine on if it's the middle of the day and sunny weather, but in the early morning, late afternoon, at night or if it's heavily overcast or raining, I'll always turn them on. I also turn them on inside tunnels.
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #357
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
and I have little doubt that we will one day discover teleportation
It already exists. I think australian scientists managed to "copy" a photon a few cm away. But due to the Heisenberg-"law" it is impossible to do it with anything bigger(the way its shown in films),as you cant define the speed and the direction of a given substance at the same time,because:

"In quantum physics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that certain physical quantities, like the position and momentum, cannot both have precise values at the same time. The narrower the probability distribution for one, the wider it is for the other."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/2049048.stm
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #358
gramercy
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
It already exists. I think australian scientists managed to "copy" a photon a few cm away. But due to the Heisenberg-"law" it is impossible to do it with anything bigger(the way its shown in films),as you cant define the speed and the direction of a given substance at the same time,because:

"In quantum physics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that certain physical quantities, like the position and momentum, cannot both have precise values at the same time. The narrower the probability distribution for one, the wider it is for the other."

I refuse to believe you. Spock told me it will exist.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #359
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post

This doesn't mean a thing. You can define a human being in terms of an arrangement of atoms, and each individual atom is large enough that the uncertainties in position and momentum can both be sufficiently low to perfectly replicate a human. There's no need to precisely reproduce every single subatomic particle, which is what the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle prohibits.

Of course, that doesn't mean the technology to do that is going to be available anytime soon. You would still need a machine that could locate every one of the billions upon billions of atoms in a person and somehow recreate that somewhere else - not a very easy thing to do.
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #360
gramercy
BANNED

and do that faster than your nerves work, otherwise its gonna be painful