daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #361
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
and do that faster than your nerves work, otherwise its gonna be painful
Not necessarily. Just remove the brain first at the source and leave the brain until last at the destination.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #362
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
and do that faster than your nerves work, otherwise its gonna be painful
...and boring to sit or even stand in the machine for hours, and possibly you'd be faster by train. Besides, it's kind of OT.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #363
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driverless_car

I have great benefit of seing wich cars are parked and wich are about to drive in mixed street trafic, in Norway lights are lit automaticly when the engine is turned on.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #364
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
I think for most of the people who don't wear them it's just a bad habit, especially for older people. They learned to drive without them, so they feel safe enough to drive without it. At least, that would be my explanation.
Yor're probably right. However, even up here in the snowy winter hell called Norway, where seatbelts have been mandatory for ages, almost 10% of motorists don't use them, so it's not the entire explanation. Must admit I'm an offender myself; from time to time when I go a km or so in a 30 zone, I neglect to fasten it. Don't know why, really, and I tell myself I should use it. Stupid, I know...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #365
ElviS77

I remember watching a Discovery series about traffic safety a few years ago. One of the claims made was that if you widen a road by a foot (I think...), average speed increases by 2 mph (again, this is my personal recollation...). Thus, it doesn't take long before a safety benefit from an improved roadway is eaten up by an increase in driving speed. Quite interesting, even though I don't think we should stop improving roads because of this... But if true, it shows you need to think carefully about how to improve roads, simply making something that's more efficient doesn't necessarily improve safety.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #366
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77
One of the claims made was that if you widen a road by a foot (I think...), average speed increases by 2 mph (again, this is my personal recollation...). Thus, it doesn't take long before a safety benefit from an improved roadway is eaten up by an increase in driving speed.
That isn't so weird. If you have to pass an other car on a small street with just a few cms difference, you'd also not do that with 50km/h. The more space you have, the more comfortable it will feel to pass at a higher speed. That's a natural reaction. That's also the reason why speeddifferences between vehicles so much more influence have on traffic safety that speed itself.

Last edited by Jeroen669; March 27th, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #367
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

I think is much-much more important to creat 2x1 roads with spearated intersections, such as there are around - for example - Barcelona.

These roads are NOT highways, and there are only 1 lanes / direction, BUT there are no perpendicular vechicles coming onto the road and everyone turning on/off has an easier way.

When you are going in the main section, you have priority over everyone else. Long straight sections and a higher (possible 100-110 kph) speed, ringroads around towns, no railroad crossings allow for higher capacity as sell.

Below you can see:
- a highway
- a main road with separation (upper left)
- a high speed railline
- a regular rail line

gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #368
ElviS77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
That isn't so weird. If you have to pass an other car on a small street with just a few cms difference, you'd also not do that with 50km/h. The more space you have, the more comfortable it will feel to pass at a higher speed. That's a natural reaction. That's also the reason why speeddifferences between vehicles so much more influence have on traffic safety that speed itself.
I'm not saying it's weird, on the contrary, I think it's quite understandable. However, feeling safe and actually being safe are two different things. The main safety problem with an undivided road is head-on crashes, and they become more severe with increased speed. If memory serves me right, this was one of the main suspects when it came to increases in road fatalities. Roads seem safer, cars are safer, thus, we drive faster... and the safety benefit of the improved road vanishes. The same was said regarding T or X junctions: you may improve them, but unless you remake them into roundabouts or grade-separated systems, you won't really reduce the number of serious crashes. Roundabouts are interesting, since they often lead to more collisions, but fatality and serious injury rates drop.
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #369
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

What do you think of this idea? "share space" no signs, ONLY the Priority to the right rule.

Hi!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

for the lazy ones
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Some euro countries try this out and even in USA and Australia!

Seems it works...do you think you can adapt such a concept to a bigger city like LA or New York, Berlin oder London????
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #370
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Its called pedestrian or limited-access street. Very old concept.

RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #371
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I think it's good for places with nearly no traffic, such as historical city centers or shopping streets.

Otherwise I think it's a stupid idea. Make it look like Africa (no signs, markings or road layout) so everybody doesn't know what to do and has to slow down so bad that it's "safer".

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 26th, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #372
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

And in the end we all know traffic "safety" in Africa..
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #373
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

I recently heard a radio show dedicated to the blind and sight-impaired on BBC Radio 4 about this topic. Many in the sight-impaired community are quite concerned about the lack of a curb which helps them determine where the pedestrian zone ends and the car/bike area begins.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #374
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

I like the idea of this. It can mean instead of having to wait at lights then speed up and slow down you can carry on through at a slow speed but stop much less. Pedestrians no longer have to wait at lights but feel it is safe to cross in front of cars who are happy to slow down for them. It is simlar to the occasions when traffic lights fail, as nobody has priority everyone slows down and proceeds with caution while cooperating with other road users, then everyone passes the crossroads quicker.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #375
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
It is simlar to the occasions when traffic lights fail, as nobody has priority everyone slows down and proceeds with caution while cooperating with other road users, then everyone passes the crossroads quicker.
Sorry to pick in on just a part of your post, but as far as I'm aware, there are usually still signs on intersections which indicate which road has priority (Stop-signs, Give Way signs or priority diamonds). Those signs are to be followed if the lights are defect. And if there are no signs, there's the priority to the right rule (talking about Belgium, will certainly be different elsewhere).

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #376
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Sorry to pick in on just a part of your post, but as far as I'm aware, there are usually still signs on intersections which indicate which road has priority (Stop-signs, Give Way signs or priority diamonds). Those signs are to be followed if the lights are defect. And if there are no signs, there's the priority to the right rule (talking about Belgium, will certainly be different elsewhere).

Greetings,
Glodenox
In the UK we don't tend to have that. Often one road will be wider than the side road and have separate lanes for people turning right so you could assume it has more priority but there is nothing to say it has. Whenever this has happened the traffic flows better and you don't find yourself sitting at a red light while nothing moves on the intersection. Generally we would have priority to the right like at a roundabout if there was no signs but as there is no overall rule everyone treats it with caution and moves over slow enough not to cause a collision if someone does something unexpected.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM   #377
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

The Most Dangerous Roads in the World

Have fun
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006...-in-world.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yungas_Road

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

image hosted on flickr

*EDIT*
normally i dont like and post those videos, but to give a view what makes the most dangerous in the road such dangerous. at 0:55 you see the brave man climbing in his truck. RIP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI6YJv163r4

Could there be any way to rescue the truck??????

Last edited by Dr.Mabuse; August 1st, 2009 at 06:32 PM.
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #378
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Near Death Expirience Accidents

Here is one from Greece which always fascinates me everytime I see this video:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 25th, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #379
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Moderator, please help, the video does not load up... Can anyone see it? Here is the link btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tth9krDtxII
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #380
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

You've put the whole URL between youtube tags. You should only put the code after "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=" between those tags.

Horrible accident, that guy is pretty lucky to survive without a stratch.