daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #61
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
High limits for trucks then.
not high limits, it's just an idiot caught on camera.

i'mnot sure for limits here in Croatia, but i think at motorway trucks have limit 90
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #62
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I'd say lack of proper driving education? That would be the cause to begin with. Then, there is a total lack of left lane enforcement. Finally, there is no peer pressure on left-lane hogs because Americans consider light flashing and/or honking to be an overkill, so most of the time they just tailgate slow drivers hoping to force them to the right.
Must be that, if you learn early on the advantages of the left lane (for service vechicles as ambulances, police...) and overturns you wont use it if not needed.

X-type:

Trucks have a 90km/h limit in Sweden too. Id say its probable that its the same down in Croatia.

Edolen1:

Its nothing unique to Slovenia, in Sweden you are also allowed to overtake on the right lane, if the speedlimit is 70km/h or lower, if there are roadmarks.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #63
Ćsahćttr

Likes (Received): 5

MY DAD IS A LEFT LANE HOGGER.
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #64
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrfan55345 View Post
Ask him what his justification is
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 01:26 PM   #65
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotrfan55345 View Post
Telling on his own father, what a betrayer!

Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM   #66
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Well I think driving in any lane on an arterial road in a city is fine as long as you drive at the speed limit. For example, sometimes if I am in an unfamiliar area and I know that I will have to turn left at some point, but not sure where exactly, I will drive in the left lane for a while. If traffic isn't very heavy and there are 3 lanes into my direction, I might drive in the middle lane. In heavy traffic, it doesn't really matter at all. In Toronto it is especially relevant, since a lot of our main streets are very wide, having 3 lanes into each direction + the middle simultaneous left turn lane.

Sometimes, I also drive in the middle or left lane on city streets even if the right lane is relatively free, because cars are frequently turning to the right, or there are large potholes or little debris close to the sidewalk.

On highways I rarely drive on the left lane, because I don't drive very fast (usually around 10-15 km/h above the limit).
Old August 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM   #67
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Yeah, but on major arterials, there is a lot of interacting and crossing and merging traffic. I go on the left lane too, 2 miles before i have to exit, because of the heavy traffic. But on Motorways, you should stick to the right lane if possible.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 01:21 PM   #68
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

well, in traffic lights areas it is not wrong to drive on left lane, especially if you're soon turning left. for instance, in Zagreb we have some kind of city fast road. it has multilevel intersections, but also some intersections with traffic lights. and i don't blame if somebody is driving at left lane (i'm allways triing to drive at right (except in case of crowds) and go to left before my turning left). but when somebody is driving at motorway in left lane -
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM   #69
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Nothing pisses me and most drivers more than people who drive slow on the fast lane and hog it up when a line of cars are tailgating and the right lane is clear. And not just on freeways, but on multi-lane arterial roads as well. What is it with the left lane that makes drivers lose logic?
Sounds like you're plain tired of average N-American mindsets -- sounds like you're alluding to the chronic I-cannot-become-indebted-to-him/her-! N-American attitude.

It's funny, so many visitors to Quebec grumble about local motoring habits, yet praise the fact that Quebeckers readily pull over when another motorist wishes to pass her/him. This is true for Quebec's autoroutes although seldom the case on its expressways and roads.

I've done tens of thousands of Kms of road trips, and the N-American habit that I mention earlier here is what I see when I venture west or south of our provincial line.

I must declare that Cincinnati-Ohio motoring habits were ummm very European, i.e., very relaxed and comfortably orderly. A really stark contrast there when I compare it to the loads of other N-American urban and rural roadways I've driven.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:51 AM   #70
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Well, in Oregon (excluding the Portland area) motorists always follow the lane discipline and always indicate their lane changes. In Northern California at least half of all drivers do neither one. What differs Germans from Oregonians is that the latter will not put an enormous pressure on a left-lane bandit to force him/her to the right. Unlike in Europe, people here rarely understand what a left blinker means and if they see that you are flashing at them, then they will rather slow down even further.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:39 PM   #71
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

I'm happy to be one of those that follow lane discipline and signal. I just follow that old saying "Don't do unto others what you do not wish done to yourself" or something like that.

I personally hate hoggers, and hate people who don't signal and cut in with miniscule amounts of space. Outright dangerous.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #72
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

This advertisement appeared in all Spanish magazines yesterday.

But they put a street instead of a highway
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #73
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10408

Being a left-lane hogger is some kind of obession around here.

I try to be courteous enough to signal when I'm making a turn way before I actually turn. But not everyone does that here.

It doesn't help that we have such a large percentage of the eldery driving their own cars. I don't want to sound stereotypical, but when I get a look at the fool who either cuts me off, hogs the left lane, or does not signal before making a turn, it's an old man or an old woman.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #74
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicerón View Post
This advertisement appeared in all Spanish magazines yesterday.

But they put a street instead of a highway
Maybe you can translate it?
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #75
Cicerón
Espere verde

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Maybe you can translate it?
It's like a poem but OK, I'll try:

Because, even though you have more lanes, this one is for overtaking and not for driving.

Because the correct thing is driving on this lane, the right one.
Because if you don't, you can be fined.
You cause more traffic jams, more sudden brakings.
And you can cause more accidents.
Because you get nervous.
So that the median strip barrier don't crush your body.
Because you are not alone in the road.
Because all cars in the left lane reduce the flow to a single lane: the left one.
Because you may arrive later.
Because you may not arrive.
Because the smart lane doesn't exist.
Because if everybody drives in the left lane, it's more difficult to respect a safe distance.

With everything clear, you're safe.
In roads with several lanes, you must use the right lane when it's not full.

Driving on the left lane causes more traffic jams, because the drivers reduce the flow to a single lane, the left one, and the risk increases.

Driving on the left lane when it's not necessary is forbidden and you can be penalized.

Choose your reason not to drive on the left lane in roads with several lanes.

We can't drive for you.
Cicerón no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #76
OPO.RVK

Likes (Received): 1

In Portugal, I´ve to admit the people are too inloved for the left lane.
The most annoying and dangerous type- 200km/h, light signs to the people get out of his way, and if not, attach to the rear of the car in front at very short distance.
Jail is the minimum to this guys
OPO.RVK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #77
Jeroen669

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPO.RVK View Post
In Portugal, I´ve to admit the people are too inloved for the left lane.
The most annoying and dangerous type- 200km/h, light signs to the people get out of his way, and if not, attach to the rear of the car in front at very short distance.
In Germany that happens a lot. Last sunday I overtook another car with about 140 km/h, when I suddenly got signed by a BMW-driver. I hadn't seen him, even not looking in the mirrors, he was that fast.
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #78
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Yeah, in Italy, especially in the South, when you drive 190km/h on the left lane, some dude wants to drive 200km/h, and get's so close to you, you can't see the plates anymore.
Absolutely no enforcement there.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #79
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Interesting topic.

In the US west, there are two kinds of left lane hogs...one type, especially in more rural areas, just don't know the protocol, and don't realize they are slowing traffic and causing frustration behind them. (These folks are usually in pre-1990 vehicles, btw).

The other kind is even more disturbing. They are not that numerous, but there are actual drivers who hold up the left lane because they don't think ANYONE should be driving faster than they are. These drivers think they are actually "calming" traffic, but in reality are creating more road rage.

It's pretty simple. If you want to drive right at the speed limit, stay right. You have no right to slow traffic in the left lane, even if those drivers are speeding. That is the job of highway patrol, not you!
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #80
Jeroen669

Doesn't the keep-your-lane system in america allow you to drive in whatever lane you want?