daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #101
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Rawlee- It's just a example of a nice day.
Chris- I'll have a look at that in Portugal.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #102
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

A couple of years ago I was almost ran over by a grey car on grey asphalt on a grey rainy day, because the driver hadn't turned headlights on.
Rebasepoiss está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #103
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
A couple of years ago I was almost ran over by a grey car on grey asphalt on a grey rainy day, because the driver hadn't turned headlights on.
I belive that, here we put the headlights in the rain (it's very grey today).
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #104
sk

Likes (Received): 3

we have big fines here in case someone doesnt put on a seat belt.
we dont use the lights during the day,only when its rainy or cloudy .
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #105
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Hehe interesting discussion. In Canada, we don't have to keep lights on during the day, but there is a law that all cars imported/produced in Canada since 1994 must have daylight running lights, i.e. when you turn on the ignition, the lights automatically turn and stay on, but not at the same power level as actual headlights that are used at night.

I have almost never seen a car in Canada that does not have daylight running lights, and therefore, it is not a problem here. Virtually all cars here are visible because their headlights are always dimly lit. I am curious - is this very rare elsewhere in the world, such as in Europe?

Wearing a seatbelt here is of course mandatory, but I did find the bus remarks somewhat strange. There are actually buses with seat belts? Most of the time people have to stand anyway when the bus becomes full. This is interesting also
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #106
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

In the U.S.,

In the U.S. most states have mandatory seat belt laws, however, there are still a number of states (mostly western) where you can't be stopped for not wearing them, unless there is another violation. In other words, if you are obeying all traffic laws, then they can't pull you over for seat belt violations.

The only state that requires lights turned on during daylight is Alaska. And I believe that is on only select highways.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #107
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10397

Here, you have to wear your seatbelt, and if the cops catch you without one, you can get a ticket and a fine.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #108
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I have almost never seen a car in Canada that does not have daylight running lights, and therefore, it is not a problem here. Virtually all cars here are visible because their headlights are always dimly lit. I am curious - is this very rare elsewhere in the world, such as in Europe?
In Europe it is not rare, more and more countries have mandatory to have headlights during the day. Even there, where it is not mandatory (like Germany) more and more people use headlights during the day.
Quote:
Wearing a seatbelt here is of course mandatory, but I did find the bus remarks somewhat strange. There are actually buses with seat belts? Most of the time people have to stand anyway when the bus becomes full. This is interesting also
Seatbelts are mounted on long distance buses and tourist buses (but not on city buses), however I doubt, that people use them a lot.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #109
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

In Croatia lights have to be on all the time also. New cars are adapted to this rule. Their lights are always on so you cant forget to turn therm on.
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #110
DanielFigFoz

I've been loking around in Portugal and I've not seen one car with the light's on during the day (even the one from Estonia), the Dutch ones, none.

Did you know that you can't put fog light's on here, so the car headlight hand dosen't go all the way around.
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #111
Realek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

In Macedonia they are both mandatory - the seatbelts and the lights during all times.
Realek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #112
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
I've been wanting to know, for ages, what are the seatbelt laws where you all live.

Here in Portugal, everybody in a car must use them.

Same in the UK.
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #113
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
I've been loking around in Portugal and I've not seen one car with the light's on during the day (even the one from Estonia), the Dutch ones, none.
Maybe you have fines for having lights on during the day? This was common in many parts of Europe about 20 years ago and as I've heard, Greece still punishes drivers for having lights in the day.
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #114
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

[QUOTE=TheCat;15046949]Hehe interesting discussion. In Canada, we don't have to keep lights on during the day, but there is a law that all cars imported/produced in Canada since 1994 must have daylight running lights, i.e. when you turn on the ignition, the lights automatically turn and stay on, but not at the same power level as actual headlights that are used at night.QUOTE]

Lights turning on with the ignition used to be the situation in Norway as well, but due to some EU regulations, we aren't allowed to do this anymore.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #115
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Israel: wearing seatbelts is compulsory front and rear

Headlights must be on during the day during the winter (Nov. 1 to April 1, I think), even if it is a bright sunny winter's day.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #116
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Maybe you have fines for having lights on during the day? This was common in many parts of Europe about 20 years ago and as I've heard, Greece still punishes drivers for having lights in the day.
No,I'm sure of that.
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #117
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

very strict here, australia is safety mad.......

i reckon less than 0.01% of ppl don't wear seatbelts here.
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #118
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
Lights turning on with the ignition used to be the situation in Norway as well, but due to some EU regulations, we aren't allowed to do this anymore.
Hm, Norway is not in EU. And in Sweden, which is in EU, cars turn lights on on igniton.
Something is wrong with your statement.
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #119
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post

What?
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #120
kebabmonster

Likes (Received): 2

England and Wales

Every person aged 14 or over must wear an adult seat belt in a motor-vehicle, whether in the front or rear.

There are exceptions, such as

-when reversing
-taxi-drivers
-disabled people
-certain types of buses (such as those providing a public service in a built up area, or which is constructed/adapted for the carriage of standiong passengers and the operator permits the standing) but not buses or coaches carrying 3 or more children on an organised trip.

There is a sh*tload of legislation relating to seat belts in England and Wales, but the above are the main points.
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote