daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:56 AM   #2281
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 19760

the last one seems nice

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2282
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6535

new project posted by NYguy on SSP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/08/...ia-waterfront/

Another major housing development in the works for Astoria waterfront

Alma CEO Efstathios Valiotis and the proposed Astoria Cove site

Another developer has big plans for the Astoria waterfront, joining two other proposed projects for the gritty western Queens neighborhood.

The New York Daily News reported that Long Island City-based Alma Realty has had preliminary discussions with the city to develop 1,800 units of housing across four towers and a promenade with shops, restaurants, a supermarket and open space on an 8.5-acre parcel on 26th Avenue. Alma plans to file official applications for the project, named Astoria Cove, by the end of the year.

That project joins another potential development site that hit the market earlier this month across the street. The parcel, at 3-15 26th Avenue, is being marketed by Avison Young for $80 million, and could be built up to 800,000 square feet. The third project is Hallets Point, which has been in the works for a while but has yet to see any progress. That project calls for 2,300 residential units.

August 23, 2012
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #2283
Minsk

Likes (Received): 1787

The Nolitan / Grzywinski + Pons

Architects: Grzywinski + Pons
Design Team: Matthew Grzywinski, Amador Pons
Project Year: 2011
Photographs: Floto + Warner/OTTO

The Nolitan Hotel is a 55 room boutique property in downtown Manhattan. It also features a restaurant at grade and a roof deck. The building, interiors, restaurant and rooftop were designed by Grzywinski+Pons.

The Nolitan is located on the corner of Elizabeth and Kenmare Streets. Kenmare is a wider thoroughfare with a comparatively larger scale than the neighborhood – Nolita – that it bisects. It was our intention for the hotel to act as architectural and programmatic connective tissue joining the northern and southern parts of the district. The lot itself is a rather constrained trapezoid but it offers a lot of facade and exposure (principally northern) in relation to it’s area. Grzywinski+Pons wanted to celebrate and exploit that opportunity but reduce the potential reading of the northern facade as an outsize bulk so we bifurcated the building into an eastern and western volume. While each part is clad in the same family of materials and fused at grade with a contiguous ground floor there is enough of a break to address the scale. This division of the mass also allowed us to address the narrowing site with a realignment of the corridor and guest rooms yielding more space and allowing us to put loggias on all the rooms in the western half.

In addition to the loggias Grzywinski+Pons especially wanted to foster a connection to the neighborhood at the street level and we played with the section of the ground floor: we dropped the restaurant dining room and a portion of the lounge two feet below the street level and left portions of both the restaurant and reception double height. We wanted to abstract the view of the street and its vehicular traffic with this lower perspective from the dining room and also added a ceramic frit to the glass there. In the lobby the double height point supported glass provides more of a direct unfettered connection to the street. Within the guest rooms themselves we alternated channel glass with fully transparent panels centered on dramatic sightlines. By using a low iron glass we avoided the melancholic effect of northern light with a greenish cast and instead the frostiness fortifies the daylight for a bright cheerful effect. Privacy and/or views can be maintained without sacrificing daylighting.

The material palette for the entire project was chosen to be elemental rather than a surface treatment and the intention is that – with use and age – the materials will develop a patina or richness rather than become shabby. The exterior is comprised largely of terraced terra cotta shingles, exposed concrete, glass and wood. Grzywinski+Pons carried some of the same materials (and all of the same philosophy) to the interiors. We used European Oak floors finished so as to look unfinished, exposed concrete, ceramic tile, leather, felt, blackened steel – all real, elemental finishes that share the characteristics of warmth, texture and authenticity. Bathed in the northern light via the channel glass the interiors trade none of their cozy cheerfulness for sophistication.

Source: www.archdaily.com

Minsk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #2284
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

I've passed this hotel a few times and thought it turned out well. I think its a little rough around the edges (in a good way), which fits the grittiness of the neighborhood. I particularly like this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk View Post
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2285
sbarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Below is the massing diagram for 107 W 57th Street, another tower proposed for 57th Street just east of One 57 (on the same block).

image hosted on flickr
A few shots of the current state of the site. I'm clearly eager to see this one rise!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

(photos by me)
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #2286
sbarn

Here is a planned project for 135 East 79th Street by the Brodsky Corp. The building is replacing an ugly outdated school of social work which has been demolished. Not sure if this one is actually under construction yet.

image hosted on flickr

Source: Curbed
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2287
sbarn

Another infill site has restarted. This is Galerie 515 Hotel + Condos on 9th Avenue just south of the Port Authority Building. The design is "meh", but its an area that needs some filler.

image hosted on flickr

Source

Now one floor up and rising...
image hosted on flickr

(photo by me)
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #2288
sbarn

304 Fifth Avenue looks like it will become a narrow 15 story sliver building (according to the DOB). I found this rendering online, not sure if it is what will actually rise here:

image hosted on flickr

Source

And the site:
image hosted on flickr
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #2289
sbarn

241 Fifth Avenue is shaping up much nicer than its neighbor to the north (319 Fifth Avenue). The building was designed by ODA and will rise 20-stories when complete. So far the cladding looks quite nice.

Here some renderings (from the ODA website):
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And the construction progress:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

(photos by me)
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #2290
sbarn

555 6th Avenue is getting a much needed makeover, also by the design firm ODA.

Renderings:

Source

image hosted on flickr

Source

image hosted on flickr

Source

image hosted on flickr

Source

Construction Update:
image hosted on flickr

(photo by me)
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #2291
sbarn

Here's an update on the New School project. The cladding on this one is definitely exceeding my expectations. Here is a construction Update:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And a close up:
image hosted on flickr

(photos by me)
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #2292
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Great updates sbarn! Thanks a ton.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #2293
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12612

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Here is a planned project for 135 East 79th Street by the Brodsky Corp. The building is replacing an ugly outdated school of social work which has been demolished. Not sure if this one is actually under construction yet.

image hosted on flickr

Source: Curbed

Echoes of a bygone era. Very nice!
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #2294
sbarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Echoes of a bygone era. Very nice!
Yeah, from what I understand the Brodsky Group does quality work.
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #2295
sbarn

Update on a couple Kaufman Hotel 'specials' on West 37th Street between 8th and 9th Avenue.

On the north side of the street, one is currently being clad... somehow. TBD how it will turn out. I believe this tower is 20-stories. There are no renderings that I know of... here are some photos I took:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

On the south side of the street, another hotel is well under construction. There was a frenzy of activity on the foundation when I walked by. The address is 312 W 37th Street and believe completed tower will be around 20-stories.

A few renderings (source):
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A few photos I snapped:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #2296
sbarn

Update on the Chelsea Seminary condo conversion. They are rehabbing the existing historic stone building and then building an new structure next door. I walk by this project often since I live in the neighborhood. I think it will turn out nice.

Rehab of existing structure:
image hosted on flickr

Beginning the excavation and foundation for the new structure:
image hosted on flickr

Here are a few renderings from Curbed of the new building under construction:

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:00 AM   #2297
sbarn

This is a project that I had not heard about that is well underway. It is a 355 foot tower in the heart of the Chelsea district, which is quite tall for the area. There is now a crane on site and it looks like the foundation is poured. Unfortunately it replaced an ornate prewar building - a shame because there are some real ugly buildings just a block away on Sixth Avenue.

Oh well... on the brighter side, it should be interesting to see rise. I would love to see an actual rendering. Here is a zoning diagram:

Source

Here are a few photos I snapped the other day.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A peak into the foundation:
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by sbarn; August 31st, 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old August 31st, 2012, 04:14 AM   #2298
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Wow. That's a nice tower.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2299
rolandkeys

Likes (Received): 1

The John Jay College is really a college? or its just a ProperName
rolandkeys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #2300
sbarn

Yes John Jay is actually the name of a College on the west side of Manhattan.

In other news, I passed the future site of the NYU School of Nursing on First Avenue and ~26th Street. Looks like site prep is already underway as there were several active excavators on site, which looks consistent to the schedule posted online:
  • Phase 1: Mobilization and security of site: spring of 2012
  • Phase 2: Building's foundation work: spring 2012 through spring 2013
  • Phase 3: Concrete/steel phase: spring 2013-summer2013
  • Phase 4: Building fit out: summer 2013-December of 2014

Here are a few renderings:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The project will be 11 stories, and some much needed infill on this rather drab section of 1st Avenue. More info HERE (pdf warning).

Tags
new york city