daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #2801
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
It's obviously intended to mimic the old cast iron facades. It looks ugly at this point. SoHo is in a landmark district. I wonder what revisions the city will require.

UnHavrais liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #2802
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6528

maybe it will look better in reality, but on the renders it doesn't look good
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #2803
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

IMO the above shown building looks stunning. And it will be a small architectural gem in the city.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #2804
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

+1. I think that there are no similar buildings in the world, am I sure?
Nikonov_Ivan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #2805
ophizer

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
IMO the above shown building looks stunning. And it will be a small architectural gem in the city.
it looks stunning especially compared to what was being proposed there previously:

of course, it will all come down to execution i.e. how clear and non-undulating that long slab of grass will be, how ponderous the aluminum will feel....the devil's in the detail, and what looks great on a render, with some value engineering and a lot cheap materials, can quickly degenerate into kitch

having said that, this is not the snarky and pretentious WNY, and I tend to give anyone who tries a little innovation the benefit of the doubt, especially since there's a marked improvement in the design evolution...
ophizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #2806
Vincen1

Likes (Received): 168

It should get a gaint skull above the entrance and it could be built on Coney Island as ghosthouse.
Vincen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #2807
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophizer View Post
it looks stunning especially compared to what was being proposed there previously:

of course, it will all come down to execution i.e. how clear and non-undulating that long slab of grass will be, how ponderous the aluminum will feel....the devil's in the detail, and what looks great on a render, with some value engineering and a lot cheap materials, can quickly degenerate into kitch

having said that, this is not the snarky and pretentious WNY, and I tend to give anyone who tries a little innovation the benefit of the doubt, especially since there's a marked improvement in the design evolution...
I agree, that forum can often be on the cynical side of things and it isn't exactly the most progressive place in the world.

Last edited by aquablue; March 11th, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #2808
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincen1 View Post

It should get a gaint skull above the entrance and it could be built on Coney Island as ghosthouse.
Yes, it is exactly what I thought. It looks like a real house of horrors, lol. Seriously, that framework on the facade is very skeleton like.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2809
fimiak

Likes (Received): 37

I am going to take a leap and say this is the first steampunk / post-apoc construction ever built. Just kidding, that render looks somewhat ugly but also very fake, it is not at all a true representation of what this project would actually look like. I think it will look awesome if done this way, and will serve a good example for future architects most of all.
fimiak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #2810
Nikonov_Ivan

Not sure if it was posted before, but:

Work at the Staten Island wheel site, but not quite a groundbreaking

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...land_whee.html
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #2811
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5331

They need to get started on the Staten wheel. Vegas is currently building the High Roller which will surpass the Singapore Flyer as the tallest in the world by the end of 2013.

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/20...nd+High+Roller
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2812
Nikonov_Ivan

Is there any sence to build this wheel when Dubai announced a higher one?
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #2813
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Cool news, i like such big wheels
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2814
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Is there any sence to build this wheel when Dubai announced a higher one?
The wheel in dubai is probably cancelled i guess
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #2815
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Should we not build anymore skyscrapers here in NY because they aren't the tallest in the world? The SI Wheel isn't some publicity stunt, it'll bring tourists and money into SI, and be another attraction for the millions who visit NY ever year. Who cares if Dubai is building a bigger one, it sure as hell won't have the views this one does.

javosp, DesignerVoodoo liked this post
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #2816
Nikonov_Ivan

So, maybe we should create a special thread about SI wheel?
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #2817
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Sneaky Towers

"The Lara" Set To Make A 2014 Debut In Lower Manhattan

Quote:
A 30-story SLCE Architects-designed mixed-use project rising at the corner of Nassau and Ann streets in Lower Manhattan will be called the Lara, and offer 35,000 square feet of commercial space and 168 residential units, brokers close to the project told The Real Deal today.

Developers Anne / Nassau Realty have now begun marketing the office and retail portion of the tower — more than 30,000 feet of office and nearly 5,000 feet of retail, said Stanley Lindenfeld and Henry Goldfarb of Lee & Associates NYC, who are representing the spaces.

The tower, long-shrouded in secrecy, saw construction stall during the recession, Goldfarb said. But the building should now be ready for occupancy in the first quarter of 2014. And the mystery that has surrounded the project was not purposeful, he noted.

“We were just very low-key,” he said.

Naming rights and a “building within a building” arrangement are available for interested tenants, and larger tenants will have the opportunity to provide input on how the interior of the building is crafted, Goldfarb said. The retail portion of the tower will go by the address 111 Nassau Street and the residential will use 113 Nassau.

http://nyccondoconstruction.wordpres...ng-completion/
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2818
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

New Beach Structures Are Ready for the Next Big Storm

Quote:
One type of building that particularly needs to be modified in case of another major storm like Hurricane Sandy? The lifeguard station. So city officials called Garrison Architects in December and asked Jim Garrison and company to design 50 new beach structures, including lifeguard stations, by Memorial Day weekend. Nothing like a time crunch to spur productivity, and the Garrison team has already produced designs for net-zero energy modular structures—nothing new for this crew—to line the city's beaches. Co.Exist has some renderings:

Old March 12th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #2819
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This could result in a very tall tower, but I hope that it does not because there are some beautiful old structures that would be razed.

Gary Barnett puts vacant W. 57th site on block
By LOIS WEISS

March 12, 2013

EXCLUSIVE
Gary Barnett finally wants to give up his pawn in a high-stakes game on West 57th Street.

The developer, who has been selling many noncore assets, is placing the entirely vacant 16-18 W. 57th St. on the market and expects to get back the $80 million he paid in 2011 while outbidding Sheldon Solow — who would be the logical buyer....

Just steps off Fifth Avenue, the structure is sandwiched between 10-14 W. 57th and 20-22 W. 57th St., which are both owned by Solow, as is 6-8 W. 57th.
Some say Solow, an irascible billionaire octogenarian, has kept these properties semivacant to ensure nothing blocks the views of his 9 W. 57th office tenants, who pay well over $100 to $200 a square foot to enjoy both Central Park and city views....

The addition of 16-18 would give Solow 237.5 feet of frontage and a plot of 23,750 square feet for a tall building of 356,250 square feet.

His spokesman did not return a call for comment.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #2820
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This could result in a very tall tower, but I hope that it does not because there are some beautiful old structures that would be razed.

Gary Barnett puts vacant W. 57th site on block
By LOIS WEISS

March 12, 2013

EXCLUSIVE
Gary Barnett finally wants to give up his pawn in a high-stakes game on West 57th Street.

The developer, who has been selling many noncore assets, is placing the entirely vacant 16-18 W. 57th St. on the market and expects to get back the $80 million he paid in 2011 while outbidding Sheldon Solow — who would be the logical buyer....

Just steps off Fifth Avenue, the structure is sandwiched between 10-14 W. 57th and 20-22 W. 57th St., which are both owned by Solow, as is 6-8 W. 57th.
Some say Solow, an irascible billionaire octogenarian, has kept these properties semivacant to ensure nothing blocks the views of his 9 W. 57th office tenants, who pay well over $100 to $200 a square foot to enjoy both Central Park and city views....

The addition of 16-18 would give Solow 237.5 feet of frontage and a plot of 23,750 square feet for a tall building of 356,250 square feet.

His spokesman did not return a call for comment.
whats your definition of very tall? in numbers lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city