daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:37 PM   #3321
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I also was speculating about 80 South Street or within the Seaport itself since SHoP is the architect there, and they had planned a tower at the site.

Last edited by RobertWalpole; July 3rd, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:18 PM   #3322
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I also was speculating about 80 South Street or within the Seaport itself since SHoP is the architect there, and they had planned a tower at the site.
I hope it's not 80 South. I like the current design by Morali Architects and the latest article by the developer mentioned that they hope to start in 2016 interviewed in Feb of this year by NYYimby.

Interview: http://newyorkyimby.com/2013/02/inte...ny-morali.html

It would be amazing if this is for a totally separate site in lower manhattan, that way we could potentially have 4 super tall towers there.
(80 South Street, 2 WTC, 3WTC and This..)

At what site is SHoP the architect in the seaport area?

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; July 3rd, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3323
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I hope it's not 80 South. I like the current design by Morali Architects and the latest article by the developer mentioned that they hope to start in 2016.

It would be amazing if this is for a totally separate site in lower manhattan, that way we could potentially have 4 super tall towers there.
(80 South Street, 2 WTC, 3WTC and This..)

At what site is SHoP the architect in the seaport area?
The one that I posted above (i.e., the Pier 17 redevelopment).
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:40 PM   #3324
Vertical_Gotham

isn't that tower 80 south street in that pic u posted? Sorry i'm confused with the location betw. 80 south and SHoP's project.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3325
RobertWalpole
BANNED

My guess is that it's this project:

Howard Hughes Corp. project at South Street Seaport may include hotel, market-rate apartments
April 01, 2013 02:00PM
« Previous Next » Print Tweet
The South Street Seaport
Updated, 4:55 p.m., Apr. 1: The Howard Hughes Corporation may build a hotel, retail space and market-rate residential apartments at the South Street Seaport, a letter of intent seen by Downtown Express reveals, ending months of speculation about the developer’s plans for the megaproject.

A letter of intent between the two parties had previously been released in December 2011, but specifics of the mixed-use project had been blacked out. Now, the uncensored version of the letter reveals plans for a 95,000-square-foot hotel, 280,000-square feet of market-rate residential apartments, and roughly 82,000 square feet of retail space. The letter did not specify where the buildings would be located, but the scale of the project indicates that at least some of them would have to be in the newly rezoned waterfront area. The New Market Building, which lies outside the confines of the South Street Seaport historic district, is a likely location for the project.

In addition, the letter of intent outlines about 60,000 square feet of parking plus roughly 100,000 square feet for reconstruction of the Tin Building.

The details have incensed some community members, who allege that Howard Hughes Corporation willfully ignored requests for details about the project. “We’ve been asking [Howard Hughes] for a master plan for the site all along. They have obviously not been telling us the truth when they said they didn’t have one,” John Fratta, chairperson of Community Board 1’s Seaport Committee, told Downtown Express upon hearing of the new information.

On March 29, City Council member Margaret Chin’s press secretary Kelly Magee denied that the letter contained any specifics. “There is absolutely nothing in the [Letter of Intent] that describes H.H.C.’s development plans,” she wrote to Downtown Express in an email.

A day later, in response to Downtown Express’ article, Chin said that, “like the community board, my office has also asked Howard Hughes to make their development plans public. I understand the frustration people feel, but the Letter of Intent (LOI) is not a master plan for the Seaport. The LOI does not contain any specific development proposals, and furthermore, it is not accurate to use the numbers quoted in the LOI to predict what future development could entail. The city has final say and approval on development at the Seaport.”

Seth Pinsky, president of the New York City Economic Development Corporation, told Downtown Express that the EDC could veto a proposal from Howard Hughes Corporation, depending on the specifics of the project. Moreover, any proposal would have to go through a Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, or ULURP, an EDC spokesman told The Real Deal.

A spokesman for Howard Hughes Corporation declined to comment to Downtown Express on where the intended developments would be located. [Downtown Express] –Hiten Samtani

Tags: howard hughes corporation, South Street Seaport
Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:38 PM   #3326
Vertical_Gotham

Ok. I definitely thinks this will be the site for this supertall. It makes sense.

80 South would be developed on the western side of the pier and this project by Howard Hughes would be developed on the other side (eastern side) of the pier is my guess. So potentially there will be a supertall tower at both side of pier 17.

Seems like he was getting a lot of opposition with the whole pier 17 seaport project but I guess developing this tower is fine if indeed this will be the site.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #3327
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

I thought Hughes killed the tower over all the local opposition. I know they hinted at doing something more than just Pier 17 but I'd be amazed if they brought back the tower idea. Maybe after Bloomberg's Seaport City proposal they feel like it might survive the approval process??
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #3328
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I think that it's definitely proceeding. This could be around 300m, assuming that it's pretty thin, which it supposedly will be.
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #3329
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
I think that it's definitely proceeding. This could be around 300m, assuming that it's pretty thin, which it supposedly will be.
Thinner, tapered and less boxy to reduce shadows over the water just might get that baby past the critics and over the finish line.
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #3330
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I'm envisioning something razor-thin, like 107 W 57th.
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #3331
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

You should watch this entire lecture, it is quite eye opening (and something I've been thinking a lot about lately: land use is more pertinent to our discussion - what is ailing us - more so than just "suburbia."

At the very least, this section (starting at about 46 minutes in) is quite interesting...
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #3332
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

50 UN Plaza July 2:

image hosted on flickr

Some Fluffy Clouds by Tim Drivas, on Flickr

mariusCT liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #3333
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
My guess is that it's this project:

Howard Hughes Corp. project at South Street Seaport may include hotel, market-rate apartments
I'd be VERY surprised if its this site. I used to work on the South Street Seaport project and at that time there was incredible opposition to the previous tower proposed that was only around 450 ft. The residents in South Bridge Towers are fiercely opposed to anything tall being built at that location and anything that would remotely block their view. GGP - now Howard Hewes - is very aware of the political impossibility of building tall on this site. Additionally, the site is located on a pier over the water, which would require incredible engineering as well as environmental approvals that have become nearly impossible. Not to mention the site borders both a local and state Landmarks district.

My guess it will be somewhere else...
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:35 AM   #3334
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

You're probably right about a Seaport supertall, especially after what Sandy wrought on that area. Second guess is Thames Street. Some of those lowrises are not long for this world, especially if they'll demolish a fine brick Romanesque like 22.
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #3335
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Yeah my guess would be that neighborhood or something like the Nobu site which previously had a 700 ft tower proposed on it.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3336
Vertical_Gotham

MTA move to free up prime location

Space next to Grand Central to be leased

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...320/-1/SITEMAP

Quote:
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, following through on a plan announced two years ago, will move from its Madison Avenue headquarters and lease the coveted location adjacent to Grand Central Terminal to a developer.
Quote:
The MTA has retained Cushman & Wakefield, one of eight commercial real estate companies that bid on the contract, to market the buildings at 341, 345 and 347 Madison Ave. Cushman is working on commission.

The request for proposals was given to developers June 25. Responses are due Aug. 14.
Quote:
Demolition expected

Donovan said the MTA expects the developer who secures the long-term lease will demolish the buildings, which occupy a full block between 44th and 45th streets, and redevelop the site with modern Class A offices or a hotel or residential tower or a mix of uses.

Demolition is anticipated because the three buildings cannot be combined and are replete with inefficiencies that prevent their conversion to modern office space. The oldest of the trio dates to 1917.

The developer will be required to maintain access to Grand Central, now an underground walkway from 347 Madison.
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #3337
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Base cladding at 1WTC

image hosted on flickr

Triptych by Keith Michael NYC, on Flickr

ThatOneGuy liked this post
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:34 AM   #3338
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

NYPD flyover at West side neighborhoods

image hosted on flickr

2013 Macy's Fireworks NYPD Flyover 3 by Strykapose, on Flickr

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3339
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Cool. It looks like the scene from Apocalypse Now when Ride of the Valkyres is playing in the background.
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:51 AM   #3340
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
MTA move to free up prime location

Space next to Grand Central to be leased

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...320/-1/SITEMAP
Here is an interesting news. It is a large footprint, and is Within the new rezone of midtown east. It would be amazing to see a skyscraper (maybe a supertall) being built on this site... But it's just a dream, too early to talk about it.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city