daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #321
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

Here uoi go wala.

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #322
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Plans for Javits Center and Railyards Move Forward

By DANNY HAKIM and THOMAS J. LUECK
Published: July 27, 2006

ALBANY, July 26 — City and state officials moved on two fronts Wednesday to jump-start the redevelopment of the Far West Side, a little more than a year after a failed effort to build a football stadium next to the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.

In Albany, state officials approved a $1.7 billion expansion of the Javits Center, meaning that construction will probably begin this year. The plan calls for a major expansion of the complex, which has been criticized as being too small since it opened its doors 20 years ago, and a facelift for a structure often viewed as an aesthetic calamity. Earlier in the day, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s board authorized its chairman and executive director to negotiate a deal in response to the city’s $500 million bid for 26 acres of railyards adjacent to the convention center.

Taken together, the actions moved the Bloomberg administration closer to realizing an alternative development plan for the Far West Side after the fierce battle over the previous proposal to redevelop the area around a new football stadium for the Jets. But some critics say the new plan is also flawed.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg hailed the vote. In a statement, he said, “The approved plan will double the current size of Javits and provide the city with the ability to host many more conventions, trade shows, exhibitions and special events.”

The current Javits Center, he added, was too small and meant that New York City had “missed its opportunity to capture its rightful share of the lucrative convention market.”

The City Council speaker, Christine C. Quinn, said Wednesday that the project would mean thousands of permanent new jobs and tens of millions in new tax revenue.

The Javits Center plan calls for it to have the city’s largest ballroom; for the exhibition space to increase to 1.1 million square feet by 2010, from the current 760,000 square feet; and for a sevenfold increase in the square footage used for meeting rooms. A new hotel would also be part of the complex.

The plan will be financed with $350 million from the state and $350 million from the city, $645 million from a new $1.50-a-night hotel tax, and $339 million from the sale of land between 11th and 12th Avenues for commercial development.

The Public Authorities Control Board unanimously approved the plan. Its three voting members include representatives of Gov. George E. Pataki and the Republican-led State Senate, as well as a representative of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, a Democrat. Mr. Pataki said this would make Javits “an epicenter for the hospitality and tourism industry.”

Still, the expansion project has no shortage of critics, including Senator Charles E. Schumer, the local community board, and Freeman, the company in charge of a majority of the exhibitor services and expositions that moves shows in and out of the Javits Center.

Last year, Governor Pataki removed the chairman of the Javits operating corporation, Robert E. Boyle, after he clashed with the administration over the plan.

Among other things, critics have said that the plan expands the convention center upward instead of outward, making it more cumbersome and costly to move shows in and out.

Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, a Democrat who is running to succeed Mr. Pataki next year, was measured in his response on Wednesday.

“I think everyone agrees that the current expansion plan is far from perfect,” Mr. Spitzer said in a statement, “but I think we should proceed with this expansion plan unless there is a consensus among the various participants that a better alternative is available.”

Michael A. Petralia, the president of the New York Convention Center Development Corporation, said the plan had been modified in recent months to try to address some concerns. For example, a marshalling yard for trucks was moved to the north side of the complex from the south side.

“By doing that, you’re able to add some more space,” Mr. Petralia said. “It doesn’t add to the overall amount of space; it adds to the contiguous space on the main floor, which for trade show people is very important.”

But John F. O’Connell Jr., the chief operating officer for Freeman, called the design “ill-conceived” in a recent interview and said that the decision to move the marshalling yard to a garage will drive up the cost of producing shows at the Javits Center, which is already among the most expensive sites in the country.

As for the railyards, Peter S. Kalikow, the transportation authority chairman, said “a major portion of the city’s proposal appears intriguing.”

But some on the M.T.A. board said the city’s $500 million bid may be too low, citing a 2005 appraisal valuing the western part of the railyards at $923 million, assuming the site was prepared for development by building a deck over its former rail operations.

Mr. Kalikow expressed skepticism about bargaining for a significantly higher price.

“Real money is always better than maybe money,” he said, adding that the city’s offer would move the authority closer to a goal of raising $1 billion for capital projects over the next five years. Mr. Kalikow said he and the authority’s executive director, Katherine N. Lapp, hoped to work out a memorandum of understanding with the city and present it to the board at its September meeting, or earlier if negotiations proceeded quickly.

The railyards are on both sides of 11th Avenue, between 30th and 33rd Streets. The authority would retain ownership of the eastern section, where it plans to explore deals with private developers.

A central element of the discussions, although not directly addressed in the city’s offer, is extension of the No. 7 subway line from Times Square to a new station at 11th Avenue and 34th Street. The new line has always been considered crucial to Far West Side development. The city had planned to pay $2 billion to build the line as part of its proposal to develop a football stadium.

Mr. Kalikow said Wednesday that the latest proposal by the city “allows us to firm up building” the No. 7 extension, suggesting the city would be required to build it. But several board members questioned whether the authority would be left with huge costs if the subway project ended up costing more than $2 billion.

A spokeswoman for the mayor, Jennifer Falk, would not specify how much the city would pay for the subway project. “That will be part of the negotiations,” she said.

Danny Hakim reported from Albany for this article and Thomas J. Lueck from Manhattan. Charles V. Bagli contributed reporting.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #323
krull
In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by macon4ever
Here uoi go wala.
Thanks, I will add it to page 1.
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #324
krull
In Time

Second Moinian tower on West 42nd Street will have 938 condo units

27-JUL-06

Renderings of the second phase of The Moinian Group’s huge development on West 42nd Street east of 11th Avenue were publicized today on http://wirednewyork.com.

Several posters on its discussion board on New York City real estate described a rendering of 605 West 42nd Street as two towers, one 57 stories and the other 54 stories, with a total of 938 condominiums.

The rendering, however, appeared to indicate one tower and Daphne Viders, director of communications for The Moinian Group, confirmed for CityRealty.com this afternoon that the rendering depicts one, not two, towers.

The new tower will rise just to the east of the Atelier, the first phase of the Moinian development. The 46-story Atelier was topped out this spring and has 478 condominium apartments. Its sleek blue-glass façade is punctuated by banded groups of different fenestration patterns that do not extend fully around the slab tower.

The new building appears like two slabs: the shorter, southern slab has a pronounced grid fenestration pattern punctuated by four different windows bands that pay homage to the Atelier’s distinctive façade; the taller, northern slab, however, not only has a clear façade that is not distinctively gridded but also a roofline that slants upward from the west to the east, adding a new visual dynamic to the grouping, one whose slanted roofline hints to the midtown skyline and whose notched western ends thematically recall oceanliner bridge aesthetics.

The developers purchased the project, which will be known as Atelier, in June from the J. D. Carlisle Development Group and CUBS 42nd Street LLC.

The new building will include 375 parking spaces and about 200,000 square feet of retail space.

Forty-Second Street west of Eighth Avenue has been undergoing a major transformation for many years, led by some off-off-Broadway theaters, then the twin apartment towers of the full-block Manhattan Plaza project, then Harry Macklowe’s Riverwest apartment tower followed by Larry Silverstein’s Riverplace tower overlooking the Hudson River. More recently, Extell is completing its very tall Orion apartment tower just to the west of the “Green Giant,” as the great, former McGraw-Hill Building designed by Raymond Hood is known. Two other apartment towers have been recently completed and there are two very large undevelopment parcels that are likely to be development in the not distant future.

Meanwhile, the state has just approved a major expansion of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is reexamining a proposal from the city to purchase its large amount of air rights over train tracks west of Penn Station, and the Times Tower on Eighth Avenue at 41st Street has been topped out recently – all of which adds up to a lot of real estate activity.

While some observers have characterized the Moinian Group’s 42nd Street towers as flamboyant and colorful exercises in Miami style, it would be hard to not characterize them as “handsome” and “attractive,” much to the lament of some posters at wirednewyork.com who are convinced that CityRealty.com’s vocabulary is limited.

There is always a shock in comparing renderings with finished products. What appears daring and bold in a drawing may be merely a carbuncle in some prince’s eye.

Kondylis’s designs for Moinian on 42nd Street have a simple but stunning resonance where fine proportion and élan may outweigh detailing.

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY.COM INC.
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #325
krull
In Time

Major Office Tower Would Radically Change Downtown
‘One Brooklyn Plaza’ Envisioned For Area West of Fulton Mall

by Dennis Holt
published online 07-28-2006

BROOKLYN — All the furor over the Atlantic Yards project has obscured the plans for high-rise Downtown development, closer to the established business district.

For example, there now exists the prospect that a new 32-story tower will radically alter the entrance to Fulton Mall, where Joralemon Street, Adams Street and Boerum Place come together, near the Transit Authority building.

This new tower would not only change the skyline, but would have implications for the Fulton Mall shopping strip as well.

When the Downtown Brooklyn rezoning plan was being formulated, four sites were nominated for new office buildings. The sites were chosen because they were logical places for new buildings, although other sites were available.

No new buildings have yet been announced, but there has been speculation about at least two of the sites. One is at Willoughby Street and Flatbush Avenue, and a rendering has been published, showing what it might look like.

But another, recently found by this newspaper on the Internet, is perhaps even more dramatic, as shown in renderings and plans by Ehrenkrantz Ekstut & Kuhn, a major architectural firm. It has been known that a major Brooklyn developer has been formulating plans for the Boerum Place-Fulton Street-Livingstron Street area. So far, no definite announcement can be made, but the renderings suggest what may happen.

The 32-story office building, if constructed, could just about complete the overhaul of the Boerum Place segment that links Atlantic Avenue to the entrance and exit of the Brooklyn Bridge along Adams Street. Already, the Brooklyn Law School residence hall and an apartment complex called Boulevard East have been completed in the area. Nearby, the former Board of Education building at 110 Livingston St. is being converted to residential use.

The new structure, called 1 Brooklyn Plaza, would be totally dedicated to offices, with a major retail presence on the ground floor.

More stores are expected on the Adams Street side of the city-owned building at 345 Adams, which is largely vacant now.

Besides adding new commercial space to Downtown Brooklyn, the 1 Brooklyn Plaza project, if fully implemented, would significantly inject major new retail capacity where essentially none now exists. It also complements the major new apartment houses completed or under way within easy walking distance of this important site.

It has to be noted that this is one concept: many different versions are indeed possible, as is the shape and height of the proposed office building.

© Brooklyn Daily Eagle 2006
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #326
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

i like it.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #327
Spooky873
BANNED

seems like NYTimes is making a positive impact on buildings all over.
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #328
krull
In Time

^ I know, I though about the New York Times when I saw 'One Brooklyn Plaza.’

Anyway talking about the New York Times Tower... I saw it last night when I was on 42nd street (which I rarely do at nightime) and it just look so beautiful at night time. I believe the lights of 42nd street were reflecting light to the tower. I think I will missed the way it looks before the office lights will light up from within.
Old July 29th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #329
NewYork-wala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by macon4ever
Here uoi go wala.
Thanks a lot... Appreciated.
NewYork-wala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #330
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by krull
^ I know, I though about the New York Times when I saw 'One Brooklyn Plaza.’

Anyway talking about the New York Times Tower... I saw it last night when I was on 42nd street (which I rarely do at nightime) and it just look so beautiful at night time. I believe the lights of 42nd street were reflecting light to the tower. I think I will missed the way it looks before the office lights will light up from within.

ive seen it too, it does look nice. i think when the offices are lit from within itll look better, especially since the glow of lights from txsq will hit the facade, should be a nice effect. we dont have much longer to wait now.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #331
christian818
westsiders only

Likes (Received): 0

what happens if u guys drown because of global warming. the water is goin to start risin wat do u do. i dont know

PS: Good thing u guys biuld tall buildings because u guys can just live on top of the buildings. LOL HEHE

westside4life
christian818 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #332
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

Isnt that movie dramatizing the amount of flooding that would occur.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #333
Spooky873
BANNED

some shit is just too pretentious.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #334
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Flooding would happen very slowly, inch per year and less, you can easily build a wall.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #335
Indyman

And if there was a city to build a wall it would be New York.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #336
christian818
westsiders only

Likes (Received): 0

u no what its called a joke gosh man and u never know there could be a ginormous tsunami duhhhhhhhhhh
christian818 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #337
Indyman

I know I just felt like being serious. lol
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #338
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian818
what happens if u guys drown because of global warming. the water is goin to start risin wat do u do. i dont know

PS: Good thing u guys biuld tall buildings because u guys can just live on top of the buildings. LOL HEHE

westside4life

Thats fine, i personally can't wait till an earthquake sucks you guys all in. But hey, hehehehehehe.
Screw jokes. That was straight up truth.

Have fun with all your mudslides, earthquakes, heatwaves, rampant illegal immigration, and suffering snow cap. A tsunami is probably more likely to hit you guys. Enjoy .

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #339
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

THE COCKYNESS!!
kool!
You tell him! Lets see if he can come up with a good comeback...

Old July 30th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #340
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

I actually like L.A though...

Tags
new york city