daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2014, 05:43 PM   #4101
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

WTC Transportation Hub

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1209 by trevor.patt, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:06 PM   #4102
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

10 Hudson Yards

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by themodulorman, on Flickr
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:21 PM   #4103
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Brookfield reveals residential tower at Manhattan West site:
That looks like a generic massing study. Or, at least, I sure hope it is.

That and 160 Madison Avenue would otherwise make for a bad news day. About 160 Mad: does anyone know whether the permit process is just red tape at this point or whether they can actually be sent back to the drawing board? I don't know the process that well.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:37 AM   #4104
ophizer

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Brookfield reveals residential tower at Manhattan West site:

http://beta.som.com/news/brookfields...breaks_ground/
these bastards (along with the chang/kaufman abominable duo) are so adept at ripping the hearts out of anyone who loves this city and stomping on them half a dozen times.....for god's sake, gouge out my eyes instead

I understand you're no poets, artists, architects and you're only moved by that primordial, reptilian part of your brain that can only calculate the bottom line. But I didn't realize how stupid you are to boot: to put up crap like that when just two blocks west a new Rockefeller Center is rising.

I guess there's always a market for those ready to slurp up any sweet sticky santorum dripping from the backsides of those who hate this great city; just like the cheapo-budget European tourist driving the demand for those shacks Sam Chang is crapping out every few months or so.

Last edited by ophizer; January 22nd, 2014 at 01:55 AM.
ophizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:13 AM   #4105
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Except this is just another case of 'renderitis' where everyone calls it ugly from the initial renders, then ends up liking it at the end.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:46 AM   #4106
ophizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Except this is just another case of 'renderitis' where everyone calls it ugly from the initial renders, then ends up liking it at the end.
that's what they said about those hulking, squat, glassy turds behind it

or am i wrong and brookfield is using those 'placeholders' to sell his development?
in that case he's even more of a clown than i'd imagined
Old January 22nd, 2014, 03:54 AM   #4107
ThatOneGuy

Again, those are only the renders
When they're built, people will like them. It almost always happens.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 04:04 AM   #4108
ophizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Again, those are only the renders
When they're built, people will like them. It almost always happens.
as opposed to what??

taking them apart brick by brick
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:27 PM   #4109
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophizer View Post
as opposed to what??

taking them apart brick by brick
Some of the other renders of the glassy towers in the back don't look bad but I don't know what their thinking putting that black block in between those two towers and hudson yards. It's gonna look really out of place.... Then again someone has to add some diversity to the building facades over there.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:13 PM   #4110
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

Quote:
these bastards (along with the chang/kaufman abominable duo) are so adept at ripping the hearts out of anyone who loves this city and stomping on them half a dozen times.....for god's sake, gouge out my eyes instead

I understand you're no poets, artists, architects and you're only moved by that primordial, reptilian part of your brain that can only calculate the bottom line. But I didn't realize how stupid you are to boot: to put up crap like that when just two blocks west a new Rockefeller Center is rising.

I guess there's always a market for those ready to slurp up any sweet sticky santorum dripping from the backsides of those who hate this great city; just like the cheapo-budget European tourist driving the demand for those shacks Sam Chang is crapping out every few months or so.
Wow...overreact much? Hahaha get a grip
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:01 PM   #4111
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Except that Brookfield is now saying that render above is an old one:

Revealed: Brookfield’s Residential Tower at Manhattan West

Quote:
EDIT: Brookfield sent along a new image of the tower, which has shrunk significantly from the rendering initially posted, which was outdated. The new version will not verge on supertall status, instead standing shorter than either of the office towers.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:09 PM   #4112
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Norman Foster's 551 West 21st Street Gets a New Rendering

Quote:
This morning, World Architecture News revealed a new rendering (right) for starchitect Norman Foster's 551 West 21st Street in West Chelsea. With executive architect Beyer Blinder Belle moving forward with construction, the storm-ready Hudson River tower is expected to be completed in 2015. Each residence in this 19-story, 44-unit development will be 6,200-square-feet or more, and will have a double-sided wood burning fireplace and a private elevator landing. The top three floors will be full-floor penthouses, with the highest penthouse claiming ownership over the 4,000-square-foot rooftop with private swimming pool.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:14 PM   #4113
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

44-Story Glass Tower Will Rise From Queens Plaza Warehouse

Quote:
New York YIMBY got their hands on new renderings for 23-10 Queens Plaza South in Long Island City. The mixed-use building, developed by Property Markets Group and designed by SLCE, will rise in the Court Square neighborhood and add 345 units and 44 stories atop an existing warehouse, which will be converted to parking and loft office space. As YIMBY points out, by keeping the existing industrial building, the project will connect with the street "in a way that's atypical for new construction" in the neighborhood, an area where developers routinely tear down warehouses ahead of redevelopment. Although the DOB disapproved building plans for the site in December, the new construction is slated to begin this month, with completion likely before 2017.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:05 PM   #4114
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

A Towering Addition!!

Times Square hotel files to add 23-story addition
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2012/03/...ts-new-rental/

Quote:
The owners of the Manhattan at Times Square Hotel have proposed to cap the building with 23 more floors, according to a plan exam application filed Wednesday.

The vertical addition would double the height of the hotel at 790 Seventh Avenue between West 51st and West 52nd streets, according to BuzzBuzzHome. Highgate Holdings currently operates the hotel and co-owns it with affiliates of the Rockpoint Group and Goldman Sach’s Real Estate Principal Investment Area. The partners bought the 665-room hotel from Stanwood Hotels & Resorts for $275 million in 2012.

The new levels would house 121 new units, but the application doesn’t specify whether they will be apartments or hotel rooms. The architect will be Morris Adjmi, praised for the exoskeletal design of his latest work at 837 Washington Street, according to Department of Buildings records. [BuzzBuzzHome] – Angela Hunt
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:49 AM   #4115
ThatOneGuy

Quote:

Except that Brookfield is now saying that render above is an old one:

Revealed: Brookfield’s Residential Tower at Manhattan West

I wish they kept the black cladding. There's not enough of it these days.

The building with the sloped sides, if it ends up ike that, will actually look really nice!

837 Washington Street looks nearly complete, and beautiful!
Photos:
http://www.emporis.com/building/837-...rk-city-ny-usa
Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:49 AM   #4116
ophizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Some of the other renders of the glassy towers in the back don't look bad but I don't know what their thinking putting that black block in between those two towers and hudson yards. It's gonna look really out of place.... Then again someone has to add some diversity to the building facades over there.
that was my point, this development is so much worse than HY in terms of architecture that i can't understand why anyone would even consider it as an alternative (especially given all the development going on right now)

and they're a block apart!!!

nevermind that silly residential tower (which is even sillier now ).....we all know there will always be demand for all sorts of crap in residential....but the office towers

the design was outdated ten years ago when first proposed, it will take ten more before anything gets built

Last edited by ophizer; January 23rd, 2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:12 PM   #4117
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I like it. Will be a game changer to a dumpy section along 14th street.

New Rendering Revealed for East 14th Street Condo Project
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...do_project.php

Quote:
A new listing for the eastern retail section of Extell's mixed-use development on East 14th Street reveals the project from a different angle. Although there's nothing surprising, we do get a good view of the buildings that were mostly obscured in the original rendering, including 520 East 14th Street, which—as the only residential building on that stretch of the street—is being left alone as the buildings on either side of it are demolished and redeveloped into stores and condos.

The retail section to the east of no. 520 includes 88 feet of frontage, with a total of 18,739 square feet of space on the ground floor and lower level. Like the (larger) western portion, it will be done in the first quarter of 2016.

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:11 PM   #4118
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
that was my point, this development is so much more worse than HY in terms of architecture that i can't understand why anyone would even consider it as an alternative (especially given all the development going on right now)

and they're a block apart!!!

nevermind that silly residential tower (which is even sillier now ).....we all know there will always be demand for all sorts of crap in residential....but the office towers

the design was outdated ten years ago when first proposed, it will take ten more before anything gets built
Those renderings are so far from final I honestly don't even know why we're analyzing them. They're nothing. They're crap. They're an intern's afternoon.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM   #4119
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Avalon West Chelsea is looking much more complete. They took down the construction elevator on the eastern side of the building. From this angle you can really see how they tried (and failed) to emulate the awesome Starrett-Lehigh Building.

image hosted on flickr

jglover1028

TowerVerre:), desertpunk liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 09:44 PM   #4120
ophizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Those renderings are so far from final I honestly don't even know why we're analyzing them. They're nothing. They're crap. They're an intern's afternoon.
from your mouth to god's ears

i've been hoping that's the case ever since seeing those renders in early 2000's

yet, nobody's been able to answer my question: what kind of business tries to sell a multibillion dollar development with crap renders or incomplete plans

they couldn't update those renders in ten years??

Tags
new york city