daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 04:35 PM   #4221
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

And just like that my ignore list grew by 1.

Now back to NYC and her magnificent projects!
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2014, 04:47 PM   #4222
Tataristan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Tataristan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:26 PM   #4223
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
And just like that my ignore list grew by 1.

Now back to NYC and her magnificent projects!
Come on, you can be a little more mature than the that.

The design of 432 Park Avenue really is not very good. I like simple modernist buildings, but the square windows on this one ruin the proportions. The flat roof is also extremely jarring considering this is meant to be the pinnacle of the whole of New York. Considering the height and luxury of this building, I think New Yorkers should be disappointed.

erbse liked this post
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:31 PM   #4224
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

432 Park Ave will fit great in the Skyline i think. Especially with the other supertalls which are currentlich U/C or planned!

LCIII liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:27 PM   #4225
Loathing
BANNED

Any particular reason why you think the design is good? Or do you just like it because it is tall?
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:42 PM   #4226
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Good or bad, 432 PA is one building out of many and by it's slender dimensions, won't make as big a dent on the skyline as people think. And I'd also wait for the windows to be installed before passing judgement. The concrete already sparkles and the glazing will too. A lot of people may come to like it. More and bigger things are on the horizon. 432 is the start of something, not the finish.

TowerVerre:), xXFallenXx liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:00 AM   #4227
LCIII

It's a combination of the simple geometric shapes, basic materials and extreme proportions that make it a complete stunner.

xXFallenXx liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:02 AM   #4228
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

For me, obviously the height and the slim profile is a biggie, but it's design IMO is perfect for the area. It's a park avenue tower w/ cladding that mimics limestone in close proximity to the upper east side and it's design should be understated & classy which they had succeeded. If this tower where to be located in the high density area of midtown or lower manhattan, I would say it's the wrong design for the area. At least there is a 780ft Stern tower rising just a couple blocks north Would a Robert AM stern super tower fit where 432 Park is?? Absolutely and it would be my preference but Vinoly's design fits. Obviously, what makes 432 attractive is the interior quality with 10 X 10 windows outlined throughout the apt. It's a tower that won't win any beauty pageants, but gorgeous in the inside. I would def live there.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; March 3rd, 2014 at 12:30 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:05 AM   #4229
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
It's a combination of the simple geometric shapes, basic materials and extreme proportions that make it a complete stunner.
Too bad so many people don't seem to understand that. It all just flies over their heads.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:13 AM   #4230
LCIII

People are often afraid of things they don't understand. Time will heal that.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:25 AM   #4231
Loathing
BANNED

Please guys, grow up. You are making a big arrogant mistake if you think you have some special elite insight into architecture, and that I can't understand your rarefied sensibilities.

I already said I like simple, elegant, Modernist designs. This is a mediocre building. Mies van der Rohe is rolling in his grave as you invoke his mantra to defend this tasteless, incompetent design.

@ThatOneGuy, is there any building which you DON'T like? I must have seen you in a thousand threads commenting on how great every single building is, even (perhaps especially) on the ones that are unanimously derided. If you like pretty much EVERYTHING then your judgment becomes somewhat meaningless.

erbse, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2014, 12:15 PM   #4232
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58005

Couldn't agree more. While people may argue it's all POV, there's objective means in design.
Like proportions. And 432Park completely fails at this major discipline.

Please have a look at this thread for various examples of truly timeless, (mostly) well-proportioned buildings.

Tower Verre e.g. could be a great example for a slim and well-proportioned supertall, if executed right.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:59 PM   #4233
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

This isn't really one of those clear-cut, black and white issues. Personally, there's nothing I hate more in the architectural world than the boring, blue, modernist boxes that have been ruining many a skyline around the world. Yet, I love Mies' work, because the black, sleek starkness of it makes it standout, and because it was a bold design choice, both then and (regrettably) still now.

Similarly I like this building. Maybe it's because of the size of the windows, or the quality of the cladding, or the small size of its footprint, or that it's square rather than rectangular -- something about it really appeals to me. So while I generally have a distaste for modernism, it's just a general preference and not an iron-clad rule that prevents me from liking the odd modernist building or two.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:35 PM   #4234
Vertical_Gotham

Good News! The Empire Development Corp is looking to sell 1.5 m sf of air rights to a developer to fund the Moynian Station project.

Post Office Air Rights Sale Could Fund Penn Station Expansion"]Post Office Air Rights Sale Could Fund Penn Station Expansion
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0..._expansion.php

Quote:
Farley Post Office's long-talked-about conversion into Moynihan Station seems like a pipe dream, but now state officials are talking about one concrete way to raise funds.

The plan seems pretty simple and it goes like this:
1) find a buyer for the post office's 1.5 million square feet of air rights via; 2) use the money to expand Penn Station into the post office.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the Empire State Development Corporation issued an RFP last month for the post office's unused real estate development rights, which could likely be transferred within a few blocks from the post office's location on Eighth Avenue between 31st and 33rd streets, but what's murky is "how fast the state intends to proceed with the selection of a broker and marketing of development rights, nor is it clear if developers would be willing to pay a price that satisfies state officials or that would fully fund the project." Which would be hundreds of millions of dollars.

Nevertheless, in light the post office conversion's long, setback-filled history—which has spanned two decades—this is the first time we've seen officials take even the slightest step towards making the Penn Station expansion an unarrested development. The grand, columned post office space would be used as a waiting room for Amtrak. According to the RFP, via the WSJ: "Under the new plan, the state would use revenue from the sales to pay down debt on the property and help pay for transforming 'the Old Sorting Hall within the Farley Building into the new, sky-lit train hall comparable in size; to Grand Central Terminal, the document says."

MarshallKnight, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:48 PM   #4235
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4606

I was just reading that article. This will be great for both Penn Station and Hudson Yards/west midtown. Wonder who will snatch those air rights, I thing Related and Brookfields will be first in line.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:19 PM   #4236
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Interesting that the rights could be transferred as far as a few blocks, as opposed to a contiguous parcel. This will be interesting to watch, if it does go down.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:28 PM   #4237
Vertical_Gotham

Another Development site @ 245 and 247 West 34th Street! Demo approved today.

Chetrit Group pays $32M for Penn Plaza development site
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/03/...elopment-site/

Quote:
The Chetrit Group snapped up two adjacent properties across the street from Madison Square Garden in the heart of the Penn Plaza commercial district in January for $31.5 million and today won approval from the city to demolish them.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:16 PM   #4238
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I was just reading that article. This will be great for both Penn Station and Hudson Yards/west midtown. Wonder who will snatch those air rights, I thing Related and Brookfields will be first in line.
I don’t think Related would avail of those extra air rights, I mean they decided to shorten 30 Hudson Yards and we all know that site can be much taller. I just think Related has a lot on their plate as it is. They even have air-rights from 55 Hudson which they decided not to use it all, which I think they plan to transfer that to 50 Hudson across the boulevard.

Possibly Brookfield could do it since their plans had been pretty vague as to the planned height of their Manhattan West Towers. Frank McCourt at 360 Tenth could certainly use it. I dunno, but it will be interesting as Marshall Knight says.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:24 PM   #4239
thebackdoorman

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Oh no. Such an abomination for poor NYC! Lexington Ave is some halfway-desaster, too.
Boxy modernist blandness all over.

I think it looks great. In my opinion, by far the best skyscraper design currently under construction. I love how simple and thin it is.
Old March 4th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #4240
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4606

Another site to watch, this one downtown.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/03/tower-p...-broad-street/
Quote:
Developer wants to bring modernity to Broad Street tower
Developer Bill Rudin is plotting the redevelopment of 55 Broad St. into a new, modern mixed-use tower, The Post has learned.

Prompted by the diversification of downtown and a residential population beginning to pay top dollar for apartments, sources say the third-generation developer has already hired FXFOWLE to research the feasibility of redeveloping the current 30-story, 400,000 square-foot office structure into a 53-story, 742,000 square-foot mixed-use building.
Such a building could include retail, technology-focused office space and ritzy apartments in an energy-efficient tower designed for the prominent site on the northeast corner of Broad and Beaver streets.

Coincidently, Cushman & Wakefield is marketing 45 Broad, the adjacent stalled site to its north, where Robert De Niro once planned a hotel. That site can host a tall but slender tower with views to the Statue of Liberty because there are no height restrictions in the area.

But it is entirely possible that Rudin is planning a tower play and will be bidding with an eye on winning that site and incorporating its 264,200 square feet into Rudin Management’s 55 Broad, so he can add a new majestic skyscraper to the downtown skyline.
The current building, also known as the NY Information Technology Center, was originally developed by Sam, Jack and Bill’s father, Lew Rudin, in the early 1960s as the headquarters for Goldman Sachs before being occupied by Drexel Burnham.

After that financial firm went bust, the building sat vacant from 1990 to 1995, during a time when downtown had a vacancy rate pushing 25 percent. The real-estate industry and the family lobbied city and state officials to obtain property tax and other benefits for the entire downtown area, eventually allowing the Rudins to renovate and rebrand the building for newly emerging tech companies.
No one returned calls for comment.

Vertical_Gotham, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city