daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2014, 07:07 PM   #4341
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
This is a NYC project thread and I'm discussing projects. What are you discussing here?
This thread is for development news. If you have no news to share, then don't participate.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2014, 07:55 PM   #4342
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58051

This thread is for general project discussion, too. I posted current renders that weren't posted here before, a construction update and I asked about a current project.

While I've only seen you rumbling in your most recent posts, sbarn.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

TowerVerre:), storms991 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 09:20 PM   #4343
Troopchina

Likes (Received): 2337

432 park would fit and look better if it were a bit shorter imho. It is too lackluster for such a stand-out. But with all the developments it will hopfully not stand out for long.

erbse, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Troopchina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:31 PM   #4344
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

Revealed: 175 West 60th Street

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/03/cons...th-street.html

streetscapeer liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:59 PM   #4345
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18905

I partially agree with erbse. NYC is gem as a whole, and one of the most important thing in preserving cities is protecting old districts, but also fragmented structures around the city. Drake was absolutely worth saving. If it was protected, investor would buy other property nearby with some blank after-war architecture and replace that instead. City would keep gem and had new one as well. That's a win-win. Something like that is happening in Hudson Yards.
But that is european way of thinking about cities. America is just learning how to do that, Asia is very, very far from It

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:12 PM   #4346
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
I partially agree with erbse. NYC is gem as a whole, and one of the most important thing in preserving cities is protecting old districts, but also fragmented structures around the city. Drake was absolutely worth saving. If it was protected, investor would buy other property nearby with some blank after-war architecture and replace that instead. City would keep gem and had new one as well. That's a win-win. Something like that is happening in Hudson Yards.
But that is european way of thinking about cities. America is just learning how to do that, Asia is very, very far from It
Drake not that great.. No detail on the mid facade for the most part. It was a meh building. Probably should've been protected, but then again, if 432 park had some proper developers with some vision no one would be complaining. The problem is developers in NYC.

America needs an asian approach while keeping its best historical structures. Asia is where the exciting structures are getting built and where developers aren't afraid to build progressively. Developers in NYC have old fashioned tastes in buildings save for a few. That is why we see this Greco-roman neo-classic modernist monstrosity because these old men are still in love with the past and can't see the future. NYC needs a more progressive breed of developers. Even Barnett is very conservative with his Pomo and boxy towers. Where is the futurism or organic styles ny? A few examples notwithstanding, the city is not on the leading edge of design right now sadly.. It's time to drop modernism, post modernism, art-deco, etc... The new age of computer aided organic design that speaks to us organic beings is here and nyc is still building half assed recreations of past styles to suit a conservative market.. NYC needs to move on with the times. Steer is overrated, his buildings are not Art Deco, just Pomo which won't be venerated in decades like the old classics but will instead be mocked as cheap tacky recreations of revered buildings from an era long past. Now if they were building faithful recreations of past styles, I would gladly change my tune.

Last edited by aquablue; March 31st, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 12:23 AM   #4347
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

I'll happily wait and see which, if any, of the wackier fads happening in Asia stands the test of time before developers start building twisty and organic 300-500m towers in NY.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:27 PM   #4348
deckard_6

Likes (Received): 112

I absolutely agree with Erbse, 432 Park Ave is pure speculative and disproportionate crap. It is a shame a city like NY allows this! I would expect something like that being built in China, but not in NY. Not within 20 miles of the Empire State.

erbse liked this post

Last edited by deckard_6; April 1st, 2014 at 07:09 PM.
deckard_6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:35 PM   #4349
Ghostface79

Revealed: 29-26 Northern Boulevard

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/04/reve...ulevard.html/0

streetscapeer liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:38 PM   #4350
Ghostface79

Revealed: 8-16 Nevins Street

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/04/reve...-street.html/0

streetscapeer, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:07 PM   #4351
Ghostface79

Port Authority looks to build bus terminal addition

http://nypost.com/2014/04/01/port-au...inal-addition/
Quote:
The Port Authority wants to build a huge addition to its Hell’s Kitchen bus terminal, a plan that would make life easier for bus commuters and people who have to navigate the streets near the existing facility.
The new terminal – called the Galvin Plaza Bus Annex – would be built on an empty lot the authority already owns on West 39th Street between 10th and 11th avenues, DNAinfo reported.
The PA has applied for a federal grant to pay for $230 million of the $400 million expansion, which would speed up service for the thousands of bus commuters who use the terminal every day.
The addition would be connected to both the Lincoln Tunnel and the main PA terminal, which would take scores of buses off clogged streets in the neighborhood.
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:40 PM   #4352
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard_6 View Post
I absolutely agree with Erbse, 432 Park Ave is pure speculative and disproportionate crap. It is a shame a city like NY allows this! I would expect something like that being built in China, but no in NY. Not within 20 miles of the Empire State.
All development is speculative.
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:21 PM   #4353
deckard_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
All development is speculative.
Bullshit! Cities grow and need more houses, this isn't speculation. Speculation is when developers build disproportionate crap like 432 Park Ave in an attempt to profit from fluctuations in the market value of real state property, not giving a shit about aesthetics or city cultural and historical values.
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:36 PM   #4354
Pew
No, no and no

Likes (Received): 235

How far will you go on trying to explain why they are building a building with a design you don't like ? Objectively it is a pretty cool building and some people are liking it and its simplicity, this discussions should be moved to its thread and maybe adding a poll there so you can give your opinion but here it really is boring to see all these negative comments
Pew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 08:30 PM   #4355
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2714

The stupidity towards the masterpiece that is 432 Park Ave is growing my ignore list day by day. I have had enough of the trolling.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 09:31 PM   #4356
deckard_6

Yes, we know you guys like tall buildings.

Pew, erbse, Andrake liked this post
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:44 PM   #4357
erbse
LIBERTINED

After all we're at SkyscraperCity. But that shouldn't let anyone conclude aesthetics and different tastes aren't of consideration anymore and it'd be all about height.

And yeah, it's a forum, so let's discuss about aesthetics and don't proscribe people from doing so - and don't ignore them just because you don't like their friggin' opinion! You might be missing out on a lot. Else, there's the scroll wheel on your mouse or your swifty finger on the touchpad. Thank you.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:01 AM   #4358
Pew
No, no and no

Likes (Received): 235

1. You like boxy scrapers, or you don't. Half the buildings in NY are boxy, and it is what makes NY identity in a way. In this regard, there is no comparison with what we see in China, NY makes sense as an overall city architecture landscape and 432 park av fits in the landscape with its slim boxy design.

2. The city is starting to build higher and what I think is your problem is that it is the first one in that area with that height and it pops up... but there will be others... and you'll not see 432 park av anymore as a stand alone. NY just starts again being pulled from the top
Pew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:50 AM   #4359
Bronxwood

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
I love the idea of this development opening up Grove place alley to pedestrians and businesses. Unfortunately, this development will require the demolition of a unique building for Downtown Brooklyn that I like so much. This building adds an "old world" vibe to this stretch of nevins. I will miss it. A pub would go nicely in this old building, the alley would still be reconnected with nevins by demolishing the structure to the right of it. It's insane how this neat little building will be demolished but not the piece of shit to the left of it. Notice how the junk to the left is still in the renderings! Welcome to New York.

[IMG]http://i61.************/29ktnxx.jpg[/IMG]

erbse liked this post
Bronxwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:37 PM   #4360
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ This kind of utter crying stupidity is exactly the reason why I'm on such a rampage when it comes to NYC at SSC. And that's only one of several such recent events.

Unbelievable.

Andrake liked this post

Tags
new york city