daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:45 PM   #4361
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

The old building is crappy & an inauthentic take on classic German architecture. What is the loss; it is out of place as-is.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter

msquaredb, Tubeworm liked this post
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2014, 04:56 PM   #4362
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

This. It looks like the kind of crappy Tudor knockoff buildings you see on the west side of L.A. It has nothing to do with any kind of local architectural tradition, although it may have been part of a short-lived fad whenever it was built. Raze it.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:00 PM   #4363
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58005

Actually it rather seems like a take on English timbered tudor. If you're calling this "fake", you can call all revival styles and even classical architecture as a whole (except ancient) fake. What's the point?

Think of the "fake" New Amsterdam buildings in Manhattan (e.g. at Pearl Street). These are cryingly non-authentic, but still lovely. Or the artificial ruins at Central Park, or Belvedere "Castle". Disneyesque, probably - destruction-worthy, hell no.

If properly refurbished, this could be a true hidden gem.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 06:15 PM   #4364
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

Wont be sad at all to see that go.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 07:06 PM   #4365
deckard_6

Likes (Received): 112

Come on, you wouldn't be sad at all to see any building being replace by a taller one, would you? Even if the new one is absolutely crap, no problem, you'll find it great. Is it tall? Then you like it. As simple as that. I don't even understand why you make an effort to write here your opinion, we already know it! And then you call troll whoever dislikes your beloved tall craps growing across the city, even if he uses ten times more arguments to explain what he means than you usually do to express your amazement about any kind of tall structure. Seriously, you're killing Skyscrapercity. You make it boring as hell!

erbse, Andrake, TowerVerre:) liked this post
deckard_6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 08:25 PM   #4366
erbse
LIBERTINED

Indeed all that hyperbolic enthusiasm for sole height above anything, continiously expressed by a bunch of kids, is crazy on SSC. We can't do much about it though, let's just see them change their mind once they're grown-ups. And then a new generation shall arise... Those conscious of what really makes a good city.

For a starter, I suggest people read this:

The Ten Principles of Intelligent Urbanism

Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:28 PM   #4367
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Actually it rather seems like a take on English timbered tudor. If you're calling this "fake", you can call all revival styles and even classical architecture as a whole (except ancient) fake. What's the point?

Think of the "fake" New Amsterdam buildings in Manhattan (e.g. at Pearl Street). These are cryingly non-authentic, but still lovely. Or the artificial ruins at Central Park, or Belvedere "Castle". Disneyesque, probably - destruction-worthy, hell no.

If properly refurbished, this could be a true hidden gem.
"Disneyland Architecture" is just how I would put it when it comes to something like the Belvedere Castle. I wouldn't cry for it if someone said they were flattening that either.

Also, not all revival architecture is created the same. "Mediterranean" McMansions are probably the dominant residential architectural form in the US, but I'd be happy if there was a moratorium put on them because they're tacky as hell.

But I believe some forms of revival architecture are more legitimate than others, particularly when they've been adapted and adopted into the fabric of a city and a vernacular is developed around them. The relationship has to be unique to that place. I cannot stand this copy-and-paste architecture.

Ultimately this comes down to a matter of personal taste. I don't care for the aesthetics of German-style half timbered buildings, but I find them much more appealing in European villages. I think they're incredibly discordant with their surroundings in the context of New York City.

Quote:
We can't do much about it though, let's just see them change their mind once they're grown-ups.
As for this... well, all I have to say is, "condescending much?" I just laid out for you an argument that has nothing to do with building heights. But I understand that it's easier to feel superior when you group all dissenting opinions together and throw some literature at them so that they'll "come around."

erbse liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:39 PM   #4368
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 19706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
I love the idea of this development opening up Grove place alley to pedestrians and businesses. Unfortunately, this development will require the demolition of a unique building for Downtown Brooklyn that I like so much. This building adds an "old world" vibe to this stretch of nevins. I will miss it. A pub would go nicely in this old building, the alley would still be reconnected with nevins by demolishing the structure to the right of it. It's insane how this neat little building will be demolished but not the piece of shit to the left of it. Notice how the junk to the left is still in the renderings! Welcome to New York.

[IMG]http://i61.************/29ktnxx.jpg[/IMG]

Old April 2nd, 2014, 11:08 PM   #4369
erbse
LIBERTINED

MarshallKnight, thanks for opening up a more constructive approach. Though I understand not everyone's in favour of fairy-talish/fantastical architecture, it's still been a great inspiration to generations and can add interesting aspects to a cityscape. The above building is something rarely or not-at-all seen occurence in its surroundings and thus adds a special non-modernist contrast. I'd say you better try to keep it and raze the concrete atrocity next to it.

Did you read up on this?

Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:07 AM   #4370
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4606

One SoHo Square: Two Abutting Buildings With a Single Address

http://ny.curbed.com/tags/rendering-reveals
Quote:
Two office buildings at 161 Avenue of the Americas and 233 Spring Street are being combined to create One SoHo Square, a new 786,000-square-foot office building at the fringes of the eponymous neighborhood. Developed by Stellar Management and Rockpoint Group and designed by Gensler, the combination will see the creation of a new glassed-in lobby and the addition of three modern penthouse floors complete with terraces to the 233 Spring Street structure. The structures' pre-war exteriors will remain largely untouched while the interiors will get a thorough revamp including new elevators. Expect the office building amalgamation and rebranding to be complete by 2016.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 01:47 AM   #4371
Tubeworm

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Though I understand not everyone's in favour of fairy-talish/fantastical architecture, it's still been a great inspiration to generations and can add interesting aspects to a cityscape. The above building is something rarely or not-at-all seen occurence in its surroundings and thus adds a special non-modernist contrast.
?? I usually don't comment on much, but I must interject here. That "English Tudor" is truly not very different than the building being planned for the site. Like the planned tacky residential tower, our tacky "English Tudor" over here most likely had a similar objective: to make money. If there was an actual effort to make something "inspirational", the building would have been inspirational, and there would have been an incentive to keep it alive and clean for today. The purpose of that building is history, and it's an insult to all other buildings that are of historical significance.

Quote:
I'd say you better try to keep it and raze the concrete atrocity next to it.
Don't worry-- it'll get razed at some point.

babybackribs2314 liked this post
Tubeworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:02 PM   #4372
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Details, Rendering Revealed For Zeckendorfs' 520 Park Avenue

Quote:
New York's newest super expensive condo tower has revealed itself to the world. Today the Journal brings us an exterior rendering and oodles of details about the planned 51-story tower on East 60th Street and Park Avenue. Designed by the limestone-loving architect Robert A.M. Stern, 520 Park will have just 31 units, one of which will be a mega penthouse "priced at considerably more than $100 million." Obviously. It will be a 12,400-square-foot triplex with a private terrace and will likely be priced at more than $10,000 per square foot. The "smallest" of the units will clock in at 4,600-square-feet, and they will each occupy a full floor and have a private elevator landing. And prices will start around, brace, $27 million. There will also be seven six-bedroom duplexes. We can't wait for floorplans.

Developers Arthur and William Lie Zeckendorf worked with Stern on the wildly successful 15 Central Park West and record-setting 18 Gramercy Park, so the team knows how to build a blockbuster. The partial rendering shows an 85-foot wide building with large windows and a "temple-like structure" on the roof that hides the mechanicals. To construct the building, the Zeckendorfs cobbled together air rights beside the site (and bought the Park Avenue address from a church), and the tower will "cantilever over much of the Grolier Club" on East 60th Street (not the church, as previously reported). As part of the agreement to obtain the extra development rights, the Zeckendorfs will fund affordable housing on the Upper East Side and make 520 Park environmentally friendly.

[...]

Lux! Lux! Lux!
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:34 PM   #4373
erbse
LIBERTINED

Beautiful. Geil. Now that's what I call a true Manhattan tower.

Thank you, Robert Stern.

Though it could be even better with some more setbacks and structural features underneath the top section. Well, at Billionaire's Row you need to make some profit per sqf of course...

Last edited by erbse; April 3rd, 2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM   #4374
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Wow, lovely!

So happy to see that New York is using brick and stone again! classy.
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM   #4375
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

How many new building will be made like this?
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:35 PM   #4376
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18863

If you mean highrises, so far 3-4 are planned/prepared/uc.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:58 PM   #4377
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

A great change of pace from the usual industrial materials used on high-rises these days.

erbse liked this post
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:02 PM   #4378
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
How many new buildings will be made like this?
Check this thread:

New Classical Buildings for NYC / Historic pre WW2 Building styles planned

Especially Robert Stern's towers currently are prominent classical (and classy) additions to the skyline of course.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:33 PM   #4379
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4606

New Renderings: The New York Wheel

Quote:
The New York Wheel and the neighboring outlets are expected to be open by Labor Day of 2016, and construction is imminent

http://newyorkyimby.com

More pics

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...en_island.html

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:00 PM   #4380
thebackdoorman

Likes (Received): 52

Not a huge fan of the Stern tower. NYC should be innovative... the Stern tower looks to me like a lazy way out, something more appropriate to a place that is trying to buy history rather than NYC.

Tags
new york city