daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:18 PM   #4381
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

That one and his downtown tower are Sterns only buildings that really do anything for me. NYC should get some old style buildings, but only if people learn how to actually design them right.

Also, a ferris wheel? That's just copying London.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; April 3rd, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:40 PM   #4382
LouDagreat
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
That one and his downtown tower are Sterns only buildings that really do anything for me. NYC should get some old style buildings, but only if people learn how to actually design them right.

As a Staten Islander, I wouldn't mind having a Ferris Wheel and some outlets coming to the borough. My high school is literally a 5 minute walk from where this Ferris Wheel will be. Plus the Ferry is right next door. Sure there'll be increased Ferry traffic but I think it's good for Staten island. Sure, London has a Ferris Wheel, but I feel this one stands out for New York in it's own special way.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
LouDagreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:12 PM   #4383
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Gross!!!

xXFallenXx liked this post
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:23 PM   #4384
Pew
No, no and no

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Now that's what I call a true Manhattan tower
Ok thanks for letting us know what NY style should be now. Innovative architects could now resign, there is no place for diversity in NY no more. No matter how the city became what it is now, nostalgia takes it over.
Don't get me wrong, I like the design but I also notice you're afraid skyscrapercity become boring, I'm afraid you'll make New York boring.
Pew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:39 PM   #4385
thebackdoorman

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pew View Post
Ok thanks for letting us know what NY style should be now. Innovative architects could now resign, there is no place for diversity in NY no more. No matter how the city became what it is now, nostalgia takes it over.
Don't get me wrong, I like the design but I also notice you're afraid skyscrapercity become boring, I'm afraid you'll make New York boring.

I think erbse should move to Skopje.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:41 PM   #4386
thebackdoorman

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
Gross!!!
Considering how peripheral (no offense to Staten Islanders) this project is, I do not think it is a bad addition.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:29 PM   #4387
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebackdoorman View Post
Ouch
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:03 PM   #4388
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:

NYC has been copying London aka "The Great City" for 300 years. This wheel is but the latest of many London innovations that found their way to New York. And I like the fact that it gives more people a reason to visit Staten Island. SI has needed some kind of boost for decades.

erbse liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:31 PM   #4389
TheMoses

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
NYC has been copying London aka "The Great City" for 300 years.
Be fair... they copied the skyscraper from Chicago. And I'm pretty sure that weird smell is all their own invention.
TheMoses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:34 PM   #4390
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoses View Post
Be fair... they copied the skyscraper from Chicago. And I'm pretty sure that weird smell is all their own invention.
Cities absorb new innovations from many places. And "that smell" always comes from New Jersey!
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #4391
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

170 Amsterdam's Geometric Exoskeleon Encircles UWS Apartments-To-Be

Quote:
Ever since renderings surfaced of the architectural craziness coming to Amsterdam Avenue between 67th and 68th streets, we've been waiting to see what it would look like in the flesh concrete. Handel Architects has overlaid a diagrid of criss-crossing columns on the facade of the building, which will house 239 units when complete. Construction is progressing speedily on the Equity Residential-developed project. The 20-story, 185-foot-tall structure just topped out, and the glassy walls under the exoskeleton reach about halfway up.

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #4392
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pew View Post
Innovative architects could now resign (...)

What is your definition of innovation?

This is mine:
Quote:
Marvels like Tower Verre are awesome of course.
Please stop implying I'd be crying for a monotonous classic-style building policy. That's clearly not the case. Thanks.

The built and natural environment should always be of consideration. Genius loci. Read up on that.
Stern's towers perfectly respect their surroundings while still adding something visually interesting to the scene. And so does Tower Verre, the Beekman Tower by Gehry or the recently finished One57. These are good quality, innovative and properly proportioned towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
Gross!!!
Granted. But please spare us the repost of all the images just 3 posts before yours next time, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebackdoorman View Post
I'm mostly living in authentic and well-kept old towns, thanks.
Skopje's a joke and an insult to anyone firm in classical architecture design. It's just gross. But also imposing and somewhat entertaining at the same time, a bit like Macau, Dubai or Las Vegas. At least it's more interesting than modernist dull Canberra.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; April 4th, 2014 at 01:27 AM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #4393
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Cool graphic on the engineering for 111 W57th Street:

Structural gymnastics help ultrathin, ultra-tall residential towers for the ultrarich make their mark on the Manhattan skyline. (read entire article in link)
http://archrecord.construction.com/t...-the-World.asp

Old April 4th, 2014, 03:10 AM   #4394
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

Quote:
What was one of the world's greatest gems? The Drake? Not a chance. In fact I would say it was nothing special even for NYC.
Wow... 180 much?

What a stupid assumption! NYC was once known for its grand hotels, many of which, as you likely know, were destroyed in the 1950s-60s. The Drake survived well past said era. Its uncalled for demolition in 2007, its subsequent replacement, and proposals to demolish classical pre-war skyscrapers for more boxes, are clear indications of something wrong with the historic preservation movement. Frankly, the Drake Hotel should have been the second trigger after Penn Station in 1963.

erbse liked this post

Last edited by RegentHouse; April 4th, 2014 at 03:18 AM.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:00 AM   #4395
ThatOneGuy

I never liked singer so there was no '180'. Unproportional, top-heavy, weird colour.

And now NYC is known for its "boxes", as you call them. The symbol of modernity and power. ]

I don't understand this weird mentality that historical value stopped after WWII... Mid-century modernism is historic as well.

hordak1975 liked this post
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #4396
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

Yes, Mid-Century Modernism like the Lever House, Seagram Building, among others are worthy of historic value based on their time period. With that in mind, the Sony Building should be due for designation any time soon.

The fact that Mid-Century Modernism emphasizes ubiquity makes copies literally a block away have absolutely no historic value whatsoever. Conversely, so many pre-war buildings demolished had unique characteristics almost always dismissed with the "there's still plenty of buildings like that... the other side of town" mentality.

erbse liked this post

Last edited by RegentHouse; April 4th, 2014 at 04:28 AM.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #4397
Pew
No, no and no

Quote:
What is your definition of innovation?
I don't know what is innovation, I only know having an open mind allows it.

For example, I'm not a fan of 56 leonard street or bendy buildings in hudson yard but I'm saying I'm not a fan, I'm not saying they should not be built. Who care about my subjectivity, I know a lot of people are liking these buildings and afterall I don't know what will be my tastes in 30 years if I'm still here, I hope creative people have an impact on my tastes and subjectivity, that's their job, not mine. 30 years from now, maybe 432 park av will be considered as an old classy building, or not, we'll never know if we don't try it.

Innovation come also from trying, but certainly not from looking at the past, always.
Balance, please. And New York is New York, that is where "New" usually born, just keep it this way.

streetscapeer liked this post

Last edited by Pew; April 4th, 2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #4398
hordak1975

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
Wow... 180 much?

What a stupid assumption! NYC was once known for its grand hotels, many of which, as you likely know, were destroyed in the 1950s-60s. The Drake survived well past said era. Its uncalled for demolition in 2007, its subsequent replacement, and proposals to demolish classical pre-war skyscrapers for more boxes, are clear indications of something wrong with the historic preservation movement. Frankly, the Drake Hotel should have been the second trigger after Penn Station in 1963.
I suggest you - since you're literally obsessed with the Drake Hotel - to go back to NYC just to have a walk along Park Avenue.

You will realize that there are COUNTLESS beaux-arts / art deco buildings in that Manhattan' street.

Last edited by hordak1975; April 4th, 2014 at 05:38 PM.
hordak1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #4399
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58005

Actually I don't intend to open up fronts here, modernists vs. traditionalists or whatever. I think it should all balance.

I consider this article to be really interesting by the way, especially for New York/ers:

How to Build Skyscrapers by Robert Adam

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; April 4th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #4400
Pew
No, no and no

Yes, no need to argue more, we are agree it is all about good balance. But you're talking about modernists, if that's the team that support soulless building skylines such as Houstons or Canary Warfs.. I'm not in that team either. I'm in the chill team that support the : do whatever you want as soon as it entertain and it does not affect negatively the life style

Tags
new york city