daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #4421
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNaHtEiM View Post
The fact that these are residential towers doesn't make them prettier.
True, it makes them worse. Why would I want to live in something that looks like an office building, let alone designed by a two-year-old with baby blocks? It looks so ridiculous it hurts. There really is no honor in NYC architecture anymore.

Also, 111 West 57th Street a "superscraper?" Last time I checked, there are buildings considerably taller and fatter than this Laffy Taffy... It's not the worst design, but hardly something to call a name that sounds like it breaks records. The older render was far better and sleeker.

Last edited by RegentHouse; April 9th, 2014 at 11:16 PM.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2014, 02:01 AM   #4422
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

I don't like 'em either. With rents now north of $4,000 for a 1 bedroom in Brooklyn, there was no need to build these stacked modular prefab towers except as affordable housing (which most of AY won't be). Atlantic Yards has been nothing but a failure since it's inception and it's divided the community. But MTA wants the revs from selling space above their tracks so something very large was going to be built there anyway. I hope Brooklyn will learn from this fiasco and demand excellence from future big developments (not holding my breath).
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:38 AM   #4423
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

Not to pile on what's already been said but I was at Barclays center over the week end and I took a walk to see the building, not only it looks horrible but it is also very cheap looking. I also never understood why they couldn't separate the buildings from the arena and build them on the next block.
Very undeserving to be next to that awesome arena.

Last edited by Ghostface79; April 9th, 2014 at 03:59 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:28 AM   #4424
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25287

I dunno why but I really like it close up.. looks sleek.. I do agree that, in the renders, it looks cheap from far away.

el palmesano liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #4425
Ghostface79

Upper West Side garage to turn into cushy condos

http://nypost.com/2014/04/08/upper-w...-cushy-condos/
Quote:
Another Manhattan garage building will bite the dust to be reincarnated as a place to park people.
The Upper West Side garage at 219-223 W. 77th St. is on a plot of 7,700 square feet. Sources said it is being marketed as a residential tear-down that can be redeveloped to 77,000 square feet.
Located on the north side of the street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue, and next to the new 20-story Larstrand rental, it would not surprise us to see bids rising to or above $800 per square foot — more than $61 million.
Calls to the Avison Young marketing team of Vincent Carrega, Neil Helman, Jon Epstein and Charles Kingsley were not returned.
Like other brokerages, this group has been active in the garage-sale market. Finance Department statistics show Manhattan had 865 garages in the tax year 2012-2013, but 860 in 2013-2014 — a loss of five garages and an untold number of spaces.
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #4426
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...-new-york-city

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #4427
LArchitect
I and I

Likes (Received): 1143

Thanks! for us non-New Yorkers this really helps put all the development in the area in perspective. Cheers!

TowerVerre:) liked this post
LArchitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #4428
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Bloody hell. Some tall ones going up there!

Good job NYC! reach for the skies!
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #4429
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58051

Really imposing, thanks for sharing!

Though I have to admit I despise these terrifying, cityscape-screwing boxy monsters.

While set-backed soaring One57 (157W 57S), Tower Verre (53W 53) and 220 Central Park are so much better, so much more New York and hopefully will give a new direction to Manhattan skyscraper developments, instead of the disproportionate random boxes.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #4430
Ghostface79

Construction Update: 150 Charles Street

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/04/cons...et-april.html#

Old April 9th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #4431
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Landmarks Loves BKSK's Redesigned 130 Seventh Ave. South

Quote:
It's been a rocky road to Landmarks approval for mixed-use condo development 130 Seventh Avenue South, but after two redesigns the Commission finally signed off on the building yesterday, and did so with unanimous enthusiasm. "I cannot imagine a better building for this site," said Commissioner Michael Devonshire. "As a New Yorker, I thank you for this building."

The Commission had ripped apart the original proposal for the site from architect Peter Samton, comparing it to "an industrial loft that has been added to in the '80s." Samton was subsequently replaced by BKSK Architects, whose new design was not quite as loathed by the LPC, but still deemed to be too tall and too glassy. However, BKSK's revised design, which they presented yesterday, won over the Commission completely.
The rejected proposal:

Keys to winning LPC approval: make your building look like any typical new condo in Boston.

streetscapeer, TowerVerre:) liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #4432
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 771

Something is indeed totally wrong with the landmarks commission if they believe that new design is superior.

Also, I guess I'm routing for 111 West 57th Street. If a foot taller, it's basically telling 432 Park to go f itself.

erbse liked this post
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #4433
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

That Vanity Fair article showed the typical biases of contemporary architecture critics regarding what 'serious' architecture is i.e. if it isn't new, attention-grabbing, challenging, or different, then it ain't serious, which is how funny-eyeglass-wearing types like Libeskind become vaunted for their seriousness.

erbse liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #4434
Vertical_Gotham

While there are so many current projects in Manhattan, there are 3 major zones that are seeing the most.

1) 57th Street
2) Hudson Yards Phase 1
3) WTC Complex

57th Street Corridor

Hudson Yards Phase I

World Trade Center

el palmesano, TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; April 14th, 2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #4435
Ghostface79

I think that should do it. Great team work lol

So not to alienate the outer boroughs, other major developments worth mentioning:
Queens: Hunters Points South and Willets point
Brooklyn: Domino Factory Redevelopment
Staten Island: St George ( NY wheel, outlets, hotel...)

TowerVerre:), erbse, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; April 10th, 2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #4436
Vertical_Gotham

^ Go team go! cheers cheers
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #4437
Vertical_Gotham

700-foot tower to rise on West 38th Street (Hudson Yards)
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...st-38th-street

Quote:
The builder of one of the most exclusive condo buildings in Hudson Yards is about to do his biggest deal yet in the fast-changing West Side neighborhood. Sean Ludwick, who operates the residential development firm Black House, has reached an agreement to acquire a group of parcels on the corner of West 38th Street and 11th Avenue, according to sources.

Mr. Ludwick could not immediately be reached for comment.

Using air rights that he plans to purchase from the city that are available to developers in the Hudson Yards district, Mr. Ludwick will be able to raise a 700-foot tall, 380,000-square-foot hotel and residential tower on the site. All told, Mr. Ludwick, along with an Asian equity firm who he is partnering with to do the deal, will spend about $115 million acquiring the site and the air rights, according to a source.

About 65% of the development will be a hotel and the top floors of the building, totaling about 115,000 square feet, will be high-end residential condos that will target buyers from China.

In recent years, Mr. Ludwick has found considerable success catering to the influx of foreigners looking to acquire homes in the city. At the Soori for instance, an ultra-luxury condo building that Mr. Ludwick is currently building on West 29th Street, he hired an architect from Singapore and is marketing the apartments to buyers from that country.
For his new - and biggest - project, Mr. Ludwick is planning again to use an architect from the nation whose citizens he hopes will buy his condos. In this case it will be a firm based in Shanghai.

The building is just across the street from the newly-renovated Jacob K. Javits Center, making the new tower's hotels one of the closest hostelries to that convention facility.
In addition to the Soori, Mr. Ludwick's firm Black House has built other projects in the Hudson Yards area, including the Americano Hotel.
I’m guessing the location of this assemblage is possibly: 462-470 11th Avenue and 554 West 38th Street based on this listing. http://www.masseyknakal.com/listingi...et_-_Setup.pdf

Old April 10th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #4438
Vertical_Gotham

David Marx Hudson Yards site’s application for NB is partially approved located across the street on 10th avenue from the Hudson Spire plot.

via Google Street

Address: 428 Tenth Avenue
Architect: DSM Design Group
29 stories
312 feet
Hotel Use

Old April 10th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #4439
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Jade Hotel Taps Kaufman for Expansion That, Wow, Looks Nice

Quote:
The Jade Hotel, a boutique Prohibition-themed Greenwich Village outlet that opened in 2012, is expanding. One will be near Bryant Park, the other near the South Street Seaport, and the third in Miami, the Journal reported earlier this week. Developer Gemini Real Estate Advisors said that the Bryant Park location will be at 34-36 West 38th Street, and that the design will be inspired by early 20th-century McKim Mead & White buildings, executed by Gene Kaufman (project architect) and Atelier & Co (exterior and interior designer)—who collaborated on the first outpost, too. But wait, that Gene Kaufman? And it looks that prewar/historic/contextual/good? Well, color us surprised. Atelier & Co must be a good influence. The Bryant Park Jade is slated to open in late 2015.

Gene Kaufman's doing this? I feel like I'm floating in space!
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #4440
Vertical_Gotham

^Kauffman?? Wow! I'm pleasantly surprised. I like it.

Tags
new york city