daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #4581
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Take a Peek Inside Thomas Juul-Hansen's High Line Condos
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ondos.php#more

More pics in link:

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #4582
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

More high line craziness

Studio/Gang's Zany, Angular High Line Tower Is Gonna Happen
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...appen.php#more

Quote:
It's baaaack. The edgy, High Line-abutting tower by big-name Chicago architecture firm Studio/Gang is going to get built after all. After its mind-boggling renders were unveiled in late 2012, genius, New Yorker-profiled architect Jeanne Gang's first New York City project, a 10-story office building on Tenth Avenue between 13th and 14th streets futuristically called Solar Carve, ran into some roadblocks: namely, community opposition from groups like the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, which went hand-in-hand with a decision from the city's Board of Standards and Appeals not to approve a zoning variance that would make possible its bigger-than-permitted size. But wait: after its rejection in February, developer William Gottlieb Real Estate revised the application for a fourth go-around, not requesting any additional FAR (basically more interior space given the lot size) but just asking for minor variances related to the project's height and use of setbacks. And voila, a tipster tells us the BSA just gave a thumbs-up to the project. Reactions: in an e-mail blast, GVHSP said it's "glad" the building won't be larger; meanwhile, the Architect's Newspaper reports that the Gang is "excited" about the news and is working towards completion in 2015. Whew, that seems soon.
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #4583
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

What a pleasant surprise! I was so bummed when I heard it would never see the light of day. Glad they were able to work something out and that this killer design will rise. Chalk another one up for the High Line and its architectural murderers' row.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #4584
Vertical_Gotham

Good news! There should be a Highline Thread for all of these fantastic Boutique Office & Condo developments.

Old May 14th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #4585
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Those renders need about 4x the pedestrians to be accurate. Renovate it all you want, Times Square will never be a pleasant place to be.
May not be pleasant, but it's definitely a thrilling place and there's no where like it outside of Asia (sorry piccadilly). Even a quick walk through it is enough to get a rush, unless you are a local I suppose where it probably would become a place to avoid. But there's nowhere that screams big city more than times square in NYC. I'd prefer it to be more architecturally interesting (can you imagine times square with futuristic structures?), but the new paving will probably lead to a more user-friendly uniform look, reigning in some of the visual clutter.

Last edited by aquablue; May 14th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #4586
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Without a doubt, random cladding is what will be ridiculed in the next architecture generation.
It looks fine to me. Just because you are a such an outspoken fan of boring glass modernist boxes doesn't mean most people share you view. The average person doesn't want their cities full of that alone anymore.. that's the past, that's 1960's Park Avenue (most people are not enthralled by that). Would you prefer all glass walls or window grids on every new building built today? Sounds like a snooze fest to me. Random cladding may fall from fashion, but there will be something else to replace it that isn't a simple glass facade, sorry. The trend is back to a more visually exciting style of architecture, isn't that obvious? People can't relate to architecture made for robots and cyborgs, they like something for the eye to latch on to. Why are Paris and Venice the dream for most American and Asian tourists, those who live for the most part in bland modernist cities? I appreciate some minimalist styles, but come on, most people don't and like things that look 'cool' for better or for worse. I actually like a mix of styles. However, most people think the average glass scraper is wallpaper and a random facade might actually make them look and appreciate a building

Last edited by aquablue; May 14th, 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #4587
Ghostface79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Good news! There should be a Highline Thread for all of these fantastic Boutique Office & Condo developments.
Good idea. Perhaps we should create one for all the major construction areas in the city (57th st, WTC, HY...) to make it easier for some ppl to keep up.
As far as this proposal I'm also glad it's back cause at the exception of Zaha's building, the new buildings along the high line are kind of ok design-wise, nothing compared to the earlier buildings in the areas, in fact there's an article about that exact topic in the Wall Street Journal.
Don't mean to sound like a Nimby but I'm starting to wonder of the area immediately around the high line is starting to feel a little too cluttered with all those new buildings hugging the park, not to mention the park is already crowded as it is, those nice walk along the high line might be less enjoyable. I hope it doesn't turn into another Times Square.

Last edited by Ghostface79; May 14th, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #4588
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
I felt it was a very stinky place, that bothered me the most.

But the square redevelopment is much needed. Congrats on that move!
So are most busy streets in London (diesel odor) but I doubt I'd hear you complaining about that given that most posts from you that i've noticed are focused on bashing NYC in some way and promoting European cities. It's obvious you have an agenda. If you're talking about other smells like smelly food and trash, well then, NYC isn't for you buddy. better stay in pure Northern Germany where the most bothersome smell is probably horse manure from horse-and-cart travel though that village you call a city. I hope you have fun contemplating how you're going to solve the issue of horse manure overload in the future.

Last edited by aquablue; May 14th, 2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #4589
Ghostface79

^ lol or Paris or any major city I can think of, doesn't stop me from liking any of them tho, especially Paris and London.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #4590
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Good idea. Perhaps we should create one for all the major construction areas in the city (57th st, WTC, HY...) to make it easier for some ppl to keep up.
Yea.. I'll cook up something special with a map for all the major developments going down for a new Highline development thread.

Re: One Vandam

It's not all glass! according to the website it's limestone and glass.

Old May 14th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #4591
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2628

Carrying over my question from the previous page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Random question I'm not clear on: When De Blasio says build taller and denser, does he only mean Manhattan, or will it spread to the other boroughs?

droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #4592
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
So are most busy streets in London (diesel odor) but I doubt I'd hear you complaining about that given that most posts from you that i've noticed are focused on bashing NYC in some way and promoting European cities. It's obvious you have an agenda. If you're talking about other smells like smelly food and trash, well then, NYC isn't for you buddy. better stay in pure Northern Germany where the most bothersome smell is probably horse manure from horse-and-cart travel though that village you call a city. I hope you have fun contemplating how you're going to solve the issue of horse manure overload in the future.
I don't think he meant it in a bad way. I actually agree with erbse on this. Times square really is a stinky place, and this is coming from a New Yorker himself. The last time I was there, I could smell raw sewage odors emanating from the drain as me and some tourists waited at a crosswalk. The look on their faces was priceless!

koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #4593
Ghostface79

Quote:
This applies to all the boroughs.

Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #4594
koolkid

Quote:
He definitely means citywide as he's targeting areas in Brooklyn (east new York), The Bronx (Mott Haven), and queens for taller/denser affordable housing.
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #4595
Jaffster

Likes (Received): 20

With the current building boom going on in Long Island City, do you think that phase 2 of 2 Court Square might eventually happen? I hate the fact that 2 Court Square currently has a blank wall facing Manhattan.

Jaffster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #4596
Vertical_Gotham

Another High Line site

Michael Stern eyes record-setting West Side buy

West 24th Street parcel could go for $800 per square foot

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/05/...west-side-buy/

Quote:
Developer Michael Stern is reportedly eyeing a parcel on Manhattan’s West Side that could set a record if it goes for the predicted $800 per square foot.

The head of JDS Development Group is looking to buy 510-514 West 24th Street, between Tenth and Eleventh avenues, in a joint venture with Largo Investments. Located beside Cary Tamarkin’s 10-story condominium building at 508 West 24th Street, the parcel could go for as much as $32 million, according to Crain’s.

Old May 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #4597
Vertical_Gotham

30-Story Rental Apartment on West 38th St. Moves Forward in the Hudson Yards
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...es_forward.php

Old May 16th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #4598
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Hard to tell from that render, but seems like it'll be a fine addition to Hudson Blvd. How're we coming on starting an HY compilation thread?

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #4599
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

What is being built here?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #4600
koolkid

Downtown Brooklyn looks amazing in that shot!

Tags
new york city