daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #561
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

New Yorkers in general have turned into quite the bitchy little bunch. Sucks for us huh? God I hate those people who tell developers what they can and cannot do with their own land..

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #562
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

new highrises?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:56 PM   #563
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
New Yorkers in general have turned into quite the bitchy little bunch. Sucks for us huh? God I hate those people who tell developers what they can and cannot do with their own land..
First off, you have to understand who lives there and who does not. Why should some out-of-town developer dictate what that area should look like when they don't live there to begin with. If you can understand why the residents and local businesses want such height restrictions, then you should look at the area in general. Personally, I am against out-of-scale developements especially when several NYC neighborhoods are already loosing their identity from this.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:04 AM   #564
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

okie dokie nimb..

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM   #565
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

$1.5B Bonds To Finance Office, Subway Projects

By Katie Hinderer
November 22, 2006

NEW YORK CITY-The development of Hudson Yards into a commercial and residential location has been a city project for several years now. Reaching the goal, and extending Manhattan’s very tight Midtown office market, will take a large step forward during the first week of December. The city is set to sell the Hudson Yards Infrastructure Corp. senior revenue bonds beginning on Dec. 4.

The proceeds from the bonds will be used to extend the No. 7 subway line west and south. The current line stops at the Times Square station at Seventh Avenue and 41st Street, but under current plans the line will run to 11th Avenue and 34th Street. Construction is slated to begin next summer but will most likely not be complete until 2013.

Fitch Ratings has assigned the bonds an A- rating, according to a release. The company bases its rating on “The historical strength of the midtown Manhattan real estate market, the expectation of the strong demand for commercial and residential development in the Hudson Yards area that will support the bonds, and, significantly, New York City’s obligation to pay interest on up to $3 billion of HYIC bonds when project revenues are insufficient for this purpose.”

Hudson Yards is a 45-square-block area bordered by West 43rd Street, Seventh and Eighth avenues, 30 Street and 11th and 12th avenues. Originally a manufacturing area, the city rezoned the entire place for medium- to high-density commercial use, which will allow for office buildings, hotels and residential buildings.

Fitch Ratings points out the importance of the No. 7 line’s extension as it will enable more office buildings to be built in the area. “The subway extension is critical to commercial development in the Hudson Yards area; office building in Manhattan is dependent upon subway access and the area is currently underserved.”

The city is offering tax incentives to developers willing to build in the Hudson Yard area, as the establishment of office and residential projects in the area will further back-up the HYIC bonds, according to testimony from George Sweeting, deputy director of the Independent Budget Office of the city.

In September, the Metropolitan Transit Authority and the city agreed to pay for the No. 7 extension. HYIC will provide $2 billion toward the project. In a statement at the time of the agreement, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said, “The agreement will help us continue to move forward with our plan to build more affordable housing, create jobs and extend the No. 7 subway line past Times Square which together will grow this underutilized asset into a vibrant new community.

The fiscal 2007, series A bonds will sell through negotiation with a syndicate of Goldman, Sachs & Co. They are due on Feb. 15, 2047.

Copyright © 2006 ALM Properties, Inc.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #566
TalB
Refugee

I have just heard that the building that houses Shelly's Steakhouse and the lowrise the right of it were demolished recently.

Before

After
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #567
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

yes, a process that most if not all other cities do not have to go through.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #568
Kev the burninator
////////////////////

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
23rd St and Madison Ave

Rendering
[img]http://i10.************/2a0185z.jpg[/img]

Current site
I just love the look of this project. And its in a great location. Right across the street South-west of the Metlife tower and just a small walk from the Flatiron building right? Man, I'd love to live there.
Kev the burninator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #569
rocky

Likes (Received): 5

new york identity IS skyscrapers

chrisler and empire state and citycorp where probably built over lowrises. new york was full of lowrises before skyscrapers so if they were to preserve it ny wouldnt be the great city it is
rocky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #570
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

God dammit, I soooo wnt to work in New York ! Anybody know how I go about looking for media work there? As a Brit..

Off topic I know !

Great city!
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #571
TalB
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873 View Post
yes, a process that most if not all other cities do not have to go through.
The architecture of Shelly's Steakhouse and the building that stood to the right of it is remnent of what was left on its block before there were any skyscrapers.
Old November 27th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #572
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

Very nice buildings.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #573
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/24/re...ref=realestate
The Rushmore and the Elysian Hotel and Private Residences

By NICK KAYE
Published: November 24, 2006

An artist's rendering of The Rushmore, a building with two 43-story towers, which is expected to open in Manhattan in winter 2008.

The Rushmore

WHAT Residential building.

WHERE New York.

AMENITIES A swimming pool, a playground and a spa and fitness center, among others.

PRICES One- to five-bedroom units range from about $1 million to $7 million.

STATUS Construction is under way, and the building is expected to open in winter 2008.

DEVELOPER Extell Development Company.

CONTACT (212) 496-1400 or www.therushmoreriverside.com.

DETAILS In Manhattan at the western end of 64th Street, this project consists of a building with two 43-story towers rising from a 16-story base. It will have 289 units ranging from 717 to 3,072 square feet. Some of the properties will have large terraces. The project borders Riverside Park, which has biking and walking paths. The building will have a landscaped deck as well as a garden atrium with a library. The swimming pool will be 50 feet long and indoors. There will also be a billiards room and doorman and concierge services. Additionally, access will be granted to a nearby children’s club that will design the playground at the development.

The Elysian Hotel and Private Residences

WHAT Hotel and residential development.

WHERE Chicago.

AMENITIES Restaurants and a spa and fitness center, among others.

PRICES Condominium-hotel units from $480,000; private residences from $2.6 million.

STATUS Construction began a few months ago and should finish in 2008.

DEVELOPER Elysian Worldwide.

CONTACT (312) 664-9500 or www.elysianhotels.com.

DETAILS This project in the Gold Coast area of Chicago is the first for a new luxury hotel brand, Elysian, and it will offer all of the 60-story building’s rooms as residences. There will be 188 condominium-hotel units ranging from studios to one-bedroom suites, which may be placed in a rental program when owners are away. On floors above these units will be 51 private residences with 3,400 to 12,000 square feet each. No more than two of the private units will be on any floor, and some units will take up an entire floor. The development is a few blocks west of Lake Michigan and close to many high-end shops. The spa and fitness center will have an indoor pool and personal yoga and pilates instructors. The two restaurants in the building will offer room service.

Breaking Ground is a weekly look at projects, planned or under construction, that include weekend or vacation homes.
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #574
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

zenith, come to NY and find a job then you may get a work visa. I'm not in media, but just out of curiosity, what kind of media is it?
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #575
krull
In Time

Firms may leave city as tax breaks expire
Tough choices loom, with AXA, Disney, Viacom in play

By: Julie Satow
Published: November 26, 2006

When Viacom Inc. threatened to move 1,600 workers to New Jersey in the 1990s, Mayor Rudy Giuliani offered the media giant millions of dollars in tax breaks. In exchange, Viacom agreed to stay and expand in Manhattan.

Now, the company's incentives and leases are expiring, and it is back in the market for as much as 2 million square feet. Among the locations that Viacom is considering is Jersey City, forcing the city to once again confront the company's possible departure.

Viacom isn't the only one. Tax incentive deals enjoyed by several large companies, including The Walt Disney Co., AXA Equitable and Merrill Lynch & Co., are due to expire in the next several years. Merrill Lynch announced this month that it may move its headquarters outside the city. Officials will soon have to decide whether to extend the tax breaks or risk an exodus of companies and jobs.

"The city has to be on guard continuously, as there are always discussions of migrating employees to other locations," says Barry Gosin, president of real estate brokerage Newmark Knight Frank.

AXA Equitable may look outside New York when its $9.3 million in city tax breaks and its lease at 1290 Sixth Ave. expire in 2011. An AXA spokeswoman says it is too early for the company to begin its real estate search, but brokers have been busy pitching new locations to the financial services company.

For Disney, the deadline will arrive sooner. It has three years before $12 million in tax breaks expire and it is short on space. Its ESPN subsidiary is already trolling the market for more than 200,000 square feet.

Some observers say the companies should not get another round of tax incentives.

"It would be disgraceful for firms with billions of dollars of assets to even consider revisiting the public trough," says Bettina Damiani, project director of Good Jobs New York.

Job creation

The watchdog group tracks corporate retention deals and says several companies fail to meet their obligations. For example, Viacom, which pledged to have 6,950 jobs in New York by 2009, is currently 1,690 jobs short.

These corporate incentive packages are a hangover from the administrations of Mr. Giuliani and David Dinkins. From 1990 to 1997, the city shelled out incentives to dozens of companies for a total of $3.8 billion in projects.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg says that he opposes corporate handouts and opts instead to offer incentives based on broader efforts to redevelop areas of the city, such as Hudson Yards or lower Manhattan.

"As a general matter, we are not big fans of generous incentive packages," says Seth Pinsky, an executive vice president of the city's Economic Development Corp. "If you make the city a good place to live, people will want to be here and we won't have to pay them to stay."

The Bloomberg policy is to focus on creating supply, because in today's strong economy, demand is already robust, says Michael Bailkin, a managing partner at law firm Stadtmauer Bailkin.

"This administration is rezoning areas and using incentives to create major new facilities rather than giving companies individual handouts," Mr. Bailkin says.

Targeting development

Mr. Bailkin says he is advising his clients that "if they really need an incentive, they have to tie their projects to the city's policies — namely, they have to build buildings, especially in targeted locations."

But the Bloomberg administration has made exceptions. It has given tax breaks to a handful of big companies, including $150 million to Goldman Sachs, $46 million to Pfizer Inc. and $42 million to Bank of America Inc. In addition, the city has initiated talks with Merrill Lynch.

"We are always interested and concerned when a major company talks about possibly relocating," says Mr. Pinsky. "Whether incentives are what is needed or some other means, I cannot answer."

Entire contents © 2006 Crain Communications, Inc.
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #576
krull
In Time

Fulton Transit Center:

Majesty vs. Practicality in Planning Downtown Subway Station

By WILLIAM NEUMAN
November 28, 2006

With plans for a lofty, glass-domed subway station in Lower Manhattan, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is reaching for the sky. But the project has repeatedly stumbled on the nitty-gritty realities underfoot.

Although the authority has an $844 million budget for a new glass-enclosed station at the corner of Fulton Street and Broadway, with enhanced connections for about a dozen subway lines, an additional $15 million is needed, planners say, to build an underground walkway about half a block long that would add the E train to the alphabet soup of connections.

Yesterday, the authority’s board members landed firmly on the side of function over form, saying they would gladly sacrifice architectural beauty if it meant that subway riders could transfer between trains more easily.

“I won’t support a project like this that is going to discombobulate tens of thousands of passengers a day because you want to have a fancy roof,” said Barry L. Feinstein, a board member.

He said it would be “unacceptable” to build the costly station complex without providing a connection between the nearby World Trade Center station on the E line and the Cortlandt Street station on the R and W lines. The Cortlandt Street station in turn would be connected by a new underground passage beneath Dey Street to the Fulton Street Transit Center, which will serve the A, C, J, M, Z, 2, 3, 4 and 5 lines.

Despite Mr. Feinstein’s predictions about the number of riders who would be affected, officials said it was not clear how many might use a connector to the E line. Mr. Feinstein was one of four board members who spoke out during an animated meeting of the board’s Capital Construction and Planning Committee.

“There has been a recurring theme among my board members that we don’t want a fancy building and a fancy roof,” said Nancy Shevell Blakeman, the committee’s chairwoman. “We are not building cathedrals here.”

The comments were aimed at Mysore Nagaraja, the authority’s president of capital construction, who said the domed station had been redesigned at least three times already because costs of other parts of the project had escalated. He said he favored including the connection to the E train.

“I’m still committed to making it happen, but I can’t do the impossible,” Mr. Nagaraja said. “If there is the money, then I will do it.” The budget for the project cannot be increased, but he said he would see if he could cut back on other parts of the project to free up the $15 million needed for the E-line connector.

The dome, intended to maximize the natural light entering the complex, would sit atop a 50-foot-high glass-enclosed building designed by the British architectural firm Grimshaw. The dome, which is called an oculus, was initially designed to be 50 feet high, taking the total height to about 100 feet, Mr. Nagaraja said, but it has already been scaled back to about 20 feet.

The project, to be completed by late 2009, will be paid for with federal funds dedicated to the rebuilding of Lower Manhattan after the destruction of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

Mr. Nagaraja said that original estimates for the building and dome were $180 million, but that successive redesigns had trimmed the amount to $130 million. He said the oculus itself would cost about $15 million.

A major expense has been the cost of acquiring several buildings that had to be demolished for the project. Mr. Nagaraja said that real estate costs had risen from an estimated $50 million to $157 million, partly because of the overall increase in Manhattan real estate values. Most of the $844 million budget would be spent on rehabilitating existing subway stations and building the enhanced system of connectors.

In the frenzy of planning for a revived downtown, with weighty architectural statements being made a block away at the World Trade Center site, many officials at the transportation authority and at other agencies involved in the redevelopment saw the Fulton Street project as the authority’s chance to make a grand statement of its own.

But the project seems to have been shrinking almost from the beginning.

“In a project of this size, to not finish this connection makes no sense,” said another board member, Andrew Albert. “You want to connect everything that’s down there. If you have to build the Fulton transit center a little less opulent, you do it.”

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

Old November 28th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #577
krull
In Time

Whitney’s Expansion Plans Are Shifting South, to the Meatpacking District

Whitney Museum is planning a
branch at the High Line park.

By CAROL VOGEL
November 28, 2006

A month after the Dia Art Foundation scrapped its plans to open a museum at the entrance to the High Line, the abandoned elevated railway line that the city is transforming into a public park, the Whitney Museum of American Art has signed on to take its place and build a satellite institution of its own downtown.

The Whitney recently reached a conditional agreement on Wednesday night with the city’s Economic Development Corporation to buy the city-owned site, at Gansevoort and Washington streets, officials at the museum said yesterday. Plans call for the new museum to be at least twice the size of the Whitney’s home on Madison Avenue at 75th Street, they said, and to be finished within the next five years.

The deal, which has still to go through a public review process before it is final, puts an end to the Whitney’s plan to for a nine-story addition by the architect Renzo Piano that would connect to the museum’s original 1966 Marcel Breuer building via a series of glass bridges. It will be the third time in 11 years that the museum has commissioned a celebrity architect to design a major expansion to its landmark building, only to pull out.

“This is a more prudent step to take,” Leonard A. Lauder, chairman of the Whitney’s board, said by telephone yesterday. “Yet it is an adventurous step. We think the new site will have a big enough impact so that it will become a destination.”

The museum’s director, Adam D. Weinberg, said the new museum would not only offer more gallery space but would also be less expensive. “We know it will be cheaper per square foot than uptown, but we don’t know what it will cost,” he said. (The uptown expansion was expected to cost more than $200 million.) Mr. Piano has agreed to design the new museum. Although no architectural plans have been drawn up, the future museum is loosely estimated to afford at least 200,000 square feet.

Kate D. Levin, the city’s cultural affairs commissioner, called the agreement “a wonderful moment” but cautioned, “It is a preliminary moment.” If all goes as planned, she said, “it will let a museum grow and flourish” as well as provide an anchor to the city’s High Line project.

In addition to attracting a broader audience, having a site downtown will allow the museum space to build larger galleries without the constraints of building in a historic district. Sweeping galleries are generally needed to show much of the latest art being produced today.

Compared with around 65,000 square feet of gallery space in the uptown Piano addition, the High Line site will have about 100,000 to 150,000 square feet of gallery space, Mr. Weinberg said. The current Breuer building has some 30,000 square feet.

Mr. Lauder said: “The key word here is footprint. We will be able to stage shows horizontally rather than vertically.” Previous uptown expansions jettisoned by the Whitney include a $37 million addition by Michael Graves canceled in 1985 and a $200 million design by Rem Koolhaas scrapped in 2003.

Mr. Piano’s project met with heated opposition from preservationists who objected to the elimination of brownstone facades on Madison Avenue, part of the Upper East Side Historic District. After the Whitney agreed to maintain that facade, the project was approved in July by the city’s Board of Standards.

In addition to a second site the Whitney is also planning to upgrade the Breuer building significantly, with improvements like new, double-glazed windows and a better climate control system, Mr. Lauder said.

“The Breuer building is now 40 years old, and a lot of technology has happened since it was built,” Mr. Lauder said. “It is our iconic building, and we are planning to put a lot of money into it.” While he said it was too early to say just how much “a lot” is, he estimated the cost of refurbishing the building at $20 million to $40 million.

While taking note of the creation of dual-site museums like the Tate in London and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles, Mr. Weinberg said the Whitney was hoping to invent a model of its own. “We are envisioning both sites will show contemporary and historic art,” he said.

The Whitney will continue to devote itself to American art, he said, but “it will be American art in the broadest sense seen within an international context.” In addition to providing room to spread out, he added, the downtown space will allow the museum to keep adding to its collection.

Mr. Weinberg said the museum intended to strengthen its performing arts, education and film programs, which will all be based downtown.

While Dia had planned to lease the downtown site from the city, the Whitney’s deal calls for buying 820 Washington Street and 555 West Street, abandoned shell structures adjacent to each another. The city will charge the Whitney roughly half the appraised value of the two buildings, said Jan Rothschild, a spokeswoman for the Whitney.

“We like the character and the grittiness of the neighborhood,” Mr. Weinberg said of the meatpacking district. “We want to keep the museum as low as possible.” Plans call for about 15,000 square feet of meat market space as well as offices for the High Line in the complex.

Rather than dwell on the death blow to the Piano addition, Whitney officials sought to portray the move as a homecoming of sorts. The institution, which began in Greenwich Village in 1918 as the Whitney Studio Club, became the Whitney Museum in 1931.

“We’re returning to our roots,” Mr. Weinberg said. “So much of the first half of our collection was made around 14th Street and below, and so many artists whose works we have live within a 20-block radius. We see this as reconnecting with the artists’ community.”

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:33 AM   #578
krull
In Time

New hotels sprout all around city

By Tim Moran
November 28, 2006

Despite rising room rates, demand remains high at New York City hotels, prompting developers to go on a building blitz. According New York City & Company, a nonprofit agency that oversees city tourism, occupancy rates in city hotels are hovering around 85 percent as travelers come into town for both business and pleasure. In response to the increased demand, developers are planning to add nearly 13,000 new or renovated rooms to the current stock of 72,420 by 2010.

New York City & Company has compiled an extensive list of hotels that are under development around the city. While the group says most of the new developments are "smaller, mid-priced, limited service hotels," that doesn't mean there aren't any behemoths on the list. The largest hotel currently planned is The Javits Center Convention Hotel on 11th Avenue between 35th and 36th streets. Slated to open in 2010, the 1,000-room hotel will connect to the convention center -- which itself is currently being renovated and expanded -- through an underground tunnel and will boast at least 50,000 square feet of meeting and ballroom space.

This year's big buzz word, is "condo-hotel." At condo hotels, individuals can purchase rooms, living in them when they are in town and renting them out when they are away. Developer Donald Trump plans to build the city's largest condo-hotel yet in Soho. If built, the 25-story, 411-unit condo-hotel would be the tallest structure between Downtown and Midtown.

Copyright © 2003-2005 The Real Deal.
Old November 29th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #579
krull
In Time

HOTEL DEVELOPMENT AND RENOVATIONS CONTINUE IN NEW YORK CITY’S RED HOT MARKET

The City to Add More Than 13,000
New and Renovated Hotel Rooms in the Next Four Years

New York (November 14, 2006) – New York City’s hotel inventory is expected to add nearly 13,000 new or renovated rooms by 2010, increasing the current inventory of 72,420. This rise in hotel development is specifically found in the smaller, mid-priced, limited service hotels throughout the five boroughs. A combination of record leisure and business travelers along with a robust economy are responsible for the increase in hotel building. With hotel occupancy levels hovering at 85 percent and surging room rates, the hotel industry in New York City is realizing new trends in the market.

Mid-priced Hotel Development Surges

New York City’s hospitality industry is trending toward new and improved hotels responding to business travelers’ needs with renovations and new builds being done with the corporate customer in mind. More mid-range properties geared toward business travelers are planting their flags in New York City – Comfort Inn, Four Points, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Wyndham Garden Inn to name a few.

Fractional Properties Debut in NYC

This past summer the The St. Regis Hotel New York, one of New York City's most legendary hotels, opened its St. Regis Residence Club, giving members the opportunity to call the famed property their New York home. The residences include studio, one and two bedroom apartments on the 8th and 9th floors of the hotel. Hilton Hotels Corporation through its timeshare division, Hilton Grand Vacations Company is developing a 28-story timeshare property on West 57th Street, marking the first building designed exclusively for timeshare accommodations in Manhattan. Donald Trump has also announced plans to build a 411-room ‘condo-hotel’ in SoHo, the first of its kind. Each unit will be sold individually to investors who may use their property for a number of days annually.

What’s Hot, Hot, Hot…

The city’s first aloft Hotel property is scheduled for a mid-2008 opening in downtown Brooklyn. The full-service hotel will be paired with a newly built Sheraton Hotel and the two will have 500 rooms, meeting space, and a host of upscale amenities another Brooklyn property, the 93-room Smith Hotel will open in April of 2007 with an additional 50 luxury residential condominiums.

Lifestyle hotel and boutique properties are also in style. Ian Schrager recently launched the Gramercy Park Hotel after a major renovation. The Duane Street Hotel, part of the Luxe Hotels Group is set to open in TriBeCa, and Intercontinental Hotels is poised to introduce its Indigo brand to the Chelsea neighborhood. LXR Luxury Resorts has just unveiled the London NYC (formerly the Rihga Royal Hotel) after a complete redesign by David Collins and Gordon Ramsay is set to open his first U.S. restaurant there.

New York City tourism is a $24 billion industry which generates $5.4 billion in city, state and federal tax revenues, further supporting essential services including the police and fire departments, public education, sanitation services and transportation infrastructure. Visitor spending supports nearly 330,000 jobs in all five boroughs. Millions of visitors each year enjoy live theater on and off-Broadway, an industry that contributes over $5 billion to the New York economy.

Editor’s Note: Many of the city’s new and proposed hotel projects are listed below. Since plans change frequently, please contact hotels directly for additional information. Phone numbers have been provided wherever possible.

UNDER DEVELOPMENT
(listed in chronological order of scheduled opening)

Fairfield Inn LaGuardia/Astoria – 87 rooms
40-25 Astoria Boulevard
Astoria, NY 11103
Scheduled Opening: Fall 2006

6 Columbus Circle – 90 rooms
6 Columbus Circle
Jason Pomeranc, who opened 60 Thompson three years ago, will expand his boutique-hotel empire with two properties in 2006. In addition to 6 Columbus Circle, Pomeranc will open a hotel on Allen Street on the Lower East Side in 2006. This is a renovated property.

Unnamed Hotel – 213 rooms
171 Liberty Street
Brooklyn, New York
Plans are to build an independent mid-priced property with limited service.
This is a newly built property.

Howard Johnson Midtown - 40 rooms
449 West 36th Street
Scheduled Opening: Fourth Quarter 2006
Press: 973/496-0750

Hotel Mela – 235 guest rooms
120 W. 44th Street
Scheduled opening: December 2006
This property was formerly an office building.
Public: 877/452-6352
www.hotelmela.com

Hotel 373 – 78 rooms
373 Fifth Avenue
Scheduled Opening: December 2006
This new boutique property is located across the street from the Empire State Building.
Press and Public: 646/688-1117
This is a renovated property.

Hilton Garden Inn Tribeca – 150 rooms
6 York Street
Scheduled opening: First Quarter 2007

Comfort Inn - 55 rooms
279 Butler Street
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Scheduled Opening: December 2006
McSam Hotel, LLC Hotels is developing this newly built property.

Unnamed Hotel – 108 rooms
59-40 55th Road
Queens, NY
Scheduled Opening: Late 2006

The Downtown Hotel – 90 rooms
Greenwich and North Moore Streets in TriBeCa
Scheduled Opening: 2007
Actor Robert DeNiro and partner Ira Drukier have announced plans to build a $43 million, six-story luxury hotel planned in Manhattan’s TriBeCa neighborhood. This is a newly built property.

Sheraton Four Points – 250 rooms

Fairfield Inn – 250 rooms
Eighth Avenue at 40th Street
The Lam’s Group plans to build two mid-priced properties which will share a rooftop restaurant and lounge. Construction began at the end of 2005 and both should open in late 2007. These are newly built properties.

The Lamb’s Club – N/A rooms
130 West 44th Street
Next on the agenda for Vikram Chatwal, owner of Time, Dream and Night hotels, is converting the landmark 1904 Sanford White-designed Lamb's Club at into a luxury hotel. Architect Thierry Despont has signed on to design. This is a renovated property.

The Plaza Hotel – 282 rooms
768 Fifth Avenue at 59th Street
Scheduled to reopen in 2007
Undergoing renovations and will reopen 282 hotel rooms and 152 condo hotel units. The hotel was purchased by ELAD properties and will be managed by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts when it reopens in 2007.
Press: 212/715-7098, www.fairmont.com
www.hamptoninn.com

The Duane Street Hotel – 45 rooms
130 Duane Street
Scheduled Opening: February 2007
Hersha Hospitality is currently putting the finishing touches on this boutique property which is scheduled for 2007 opening in the middle of TriBeCa. This is a newly built property and part of the Luxe Hotels.
Press and Public: 212/964-4600

Sheraton JFK – 151 rooms
South Conduit Avenue
Jamaica, New York
Scheduled Opening: February/March 2007
McSam Hotel, LLC is developing this newly built property.

Comfort Inn – 78 rooms
305 West 39th Street
Scheduled Opening: March 2007
Public: 877/424-6423,
www.comfortinn.com

Fairfield Inn by Marriott – 154 rooms
Midtown Tunnel
Long Island City
Scheduled Opening: Second Quarter 2007
The Lam’s Group plans to build this hotel on the Queens side of the Midtown Tunnel in Long Island City. This is a newly built property.

The Smith Hotel – 93 rooms
75 Smith Street at Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY
Scheduled Opening: April 2007
Public: 718/339-2500, www.75smith.com
Construction has begun on the aptly named Smith Hotel, slated for Smith Street. The 13 floor new build will open as a 93 room hotel with 50 luxury residential condominiums.

Unnamed – 175 rooms
West 28th Street
Projected Opening: Mid 2007
The Lam’s Group is planning a first class property in this Midtown West location.

Holiday Inn – 226 rooms
121 West 26th Street
Scheduled Opening: July 2007

Allen Street – 100 rooms
Allen Street (between Houston and Stanton Streets)
Scheduled Opening: Summer 2007
Following on the success of his 60 Thompson hotel, Jason Pomeranc is developing this boutique property in the Lower East Side. The hotel will feature 32 luxury condominiums plus a spa, and swimming pool. This is a newly built property.

Hampton Inn – 160 rooms
Watt Street (SoHo)
Scheduled Opening: Third Quarter 2007
This Lam Generation property will include meeting space as well as a restaurant and lounge. This is a newly built property.

The Standard – 344 rooms
West 13th Street between Washington and West Streets
Scheduled Opening: Late 2007
Andre Balazs’ third foray into the New York City hospitality market with this new build in the Meatpacking District. A rooftop pool is planned. This is a newly built property.

Doubletree Hotel – 241 rooms
124 West 29th Street

Four Points by Sheraton Soho Village – 152 rooms
66 Charlton Street (between Varick and Hudson Streets)
Scheduled Opening: Fourth Quarter 2007
The Lam’s Group is developing Starwood Hotels 14th New York City property which will be a moderately-priced lodging alternative in one of the city’s most vibrant neighborhoods. The hotel will feature 150 guestrooms including two luxury suites with hardwood floors, 20-foot high floor-to-ceiling windows and 42-inch plasma TV screens.
Press and Public: 914/640-8496

Sanctuary Hotel (Portland Square Hotel) – 115 rooms
132 West 47th Street
Scheduled Opening/Reflagging: Fourth Quarter 2007
Major renovations are scheduled to begin in January of 2007 and, when work is completed on the $7.5 million renovation, the Times Square property will be a cutting-edge, deluxe hotel. Following renovations, Sanctuary will have 115 rooms versus the 147 now at Portland Square.
(The property is open and operates as the newly refreshed Portland Square Hotel)
Press: 212/247-2211 Public: 212/382-0600
www.sanctuaryhotelnyc.com

Wyndham Garden Inn – 115 rooms
20 Maiden Lane
This is a new build.

Wyndham Garden Inn – 124 rooms
37 West 24th Street
This is a new build.

Comfort Inn – 48 rooms
Webster Avenue
Bronx, NY
Scheduled Opening: January 2008
This is a five story 42 room property. This is a new build.

Wyndham Garden Inn – 228 rooms
West 36th Street (between 8 & 9th Aves.)
Scheduled Opening: 2008
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC– 162 rooms
132 Fourth Avenue at East 13th Street
This is a new build.

Comfort Inn - 4 hotels 80 rooms each
244-254 59th Street
59-02 Third Avenue
Brooklyn, NY

McSam Hotel Group LLC is building these new properties.

Candlewood Suites – 183 rooms
339 West 39th Street

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 186 rooms
337 West 39th Street
This is a new build.

Holiday Inn Express – 210 rooms
343 West 39th Street

Sheraton Hotel and Aloft Hotel – 500 rooms (2 hotels)
Duffield Street (Downtown Brooklyn)
Brooklyn, NY
Scheduled Opening: Second Quarter 2008
These two new full service hotel properties will include meeting rooms, restaurants, a swimming pool and an open terrace.
The Lam’s Group is developing this newly built property.

Comfort Inn – 60 Rooms
61 Chrystie Street
Scheduled Opening: August 2008
Press: 301/592-5032

Hotel Indigo New York – 122 Rooms
Scheduled Opening: August 2008
Construction is scheduled to begin on the Hotel Indigo at the end of 2006. The new, 20-story boutique property will be owned by Fortuna Realty, LLC, under a license agreement with a company in the InterContinental Hotels Group. The nearly $50 million Hotel Indigo New York will house 122 guestrooms in a 20-story high-rise building and feature unique design elements including a rooftop garden, guest lounge, and a street level glass canopied outdoor sitting area with café. Other amenities will include a boardroom for small meetings and both wired and wireless high-speed Internet Access in all guestrooms as well as the lobby.
Press: 770/604-5597

Manhattan Hotel – 300 Guest rooms
Mid-town West
The Lam’s Group mid-town west property will be a first class full service hotel.
Scheduled Opening: Third Quarter 2008

The Paramount Hotel – 610 rooms
235 West 46th Street
Scheduled Re-flagging: Late 2008
This Times Square property was purchased by Sol Melia Hotels & Resorts and will undergo a multi-million dollar refurbishment, following which it will be re-flagged.
Press and Public: 212/764-5500 www.solmelia.com

Comfort Inn – 70 rooms
153 – 75 Rockaway Blvd
Jamaica, NY
Scheduled Opening: Early 2008

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – TBD rooms
57 West 35 Street
This is a new build.

Comfort Inn – 60 rooms
23-51 83rd Street (Astoria Blvd./LaGuardia Airport)
Queens, NY

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 112 rooms
124 Water Street
This is a new build.

Sheraton Hotel – 360 rooms
370 Canal Street
Scheduled Opening: First Quarter 2008

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 410 rooms
311 West 39th Street
Scheduled Opening: Spring 2008
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 80 rooms
38th Street (between 3rd & 4th Avenues)
Brooklyn
Scheduled Opening: Mid – 2008
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 2 hotels, 200 rooms each
40-70 Delong Street
Queens, New York
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 200 rooms
Nevins and Schermerhorn Streets
Brooklyn
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 150 rooms
East 43rd Street (between 2nd and 3rd Aves.)
Scheduled Opening: Mid - 2008
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 200 rooms
52 West 36th Street (between 5th & 6th Aves.)
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 350 rooms
99 Washington Street
Scheduled Opening: Mid-2008
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 288 rooms
585 Eighth Avenue
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 300 rooms
98 Greenwich Street
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC – 186 rooms
50 Trinity Place
Scheduled Opening: Mid-2008
This is a new build.

Holiday Inn Express – 198 rooms
505 West 43rd Street
Scheduled Opening: Late 2008

Unnamed Hotel/McSam Hotel Group LLC –144 rooms
506 West 44th Street
Scheduled Opening: Late 2008
This is a new build.

Unnamed Hotel – 90 rooms
West 37th Street
Scheduled Opening: Fourth Quarter 2008
The Lam Generation is developing this hotel property in the Bryant Park area.

Hilton Grand Vacations Club – 161 rooms
West 57th Street (between 6th and 7th Avenues)
Scheduled Opening: First Quarter 2009
Hilton Hotels Corporation through its timeshare division, Hilton Grand Vacations Company is developing a 28 story timeshare property in NYC.
Press: 407/521-3178

Gold Hotel Plaza – 650 rooms
Financial District
Scheduled Opening: First Quarter 2009
The Lam’s Group is developing this 650 room full service property which will include meeting rooms and a roof top bar.

Trump SoHo – 411 Rooms
246 Spring Street (between Varick and Sixth Avenue)
Scheduled opening: 2009
Donald Trump in partnership with Bayrock Group and Tamir Sapir has announced plans to build a condo-hotel, which would have 411 rooms. The luxury hotel will have an outdoor pool, a screening room, restaurant and cocktail lounge, members library and event space. This property is envisioned as the city’s first "condo-hotel" every unit will be sold individually to buyers who might live there year-round, from time to time or seasonally.
Press: 212/832-2000

The Javtis Center Convention Hotel – 1,000 rooms
11th Avenue between 35th and 36th Streets
Scheduled Opening: 2010
The hotel will have a minimum of 50,000 square feet of meeting, ballroom and pre-function space and will be connected directly to the Convention Center via an underground connection.

RECENTLY OPENED/RENAMED
(listed in chronological order)

The London NYC (formerly Rihga Royal Hotel) – 564 rooms
151 West 55th Street
Scheduled Opening: November 2006
This property has undergone a complete redesign, refurbishment and repositioning and has been renamed The London NYC. Part of LXR Luxury Resorts, the property features the designs of David Collins and acclaimed English chef Gordon Ramsay will open his first US restaurant Gordon Ramsay at The London NYC and the London Bar at the location.
Press: 212/822-8165 Public: 212/307-5000

Holiday Inn Express – 228 rooms
232 West 29th Street (between 7th and 8th Aves.)
Opening: November, 2006
Press and Public: 212/695-7200
This is a new build.

Wingate Inn Manhattan Midtown – 92 Rooms
235 West 35th Street
Opened: September 2006
Wingate Inns International opened their first Wingate Inn in Manhattan, a $20 million, 18-floor property in September 2006. Hotel facilities include a boardroom, meeting room, fitness room and 24-hour self-service business center.
Press: 973/496-0750 Public: 212/967-7500

New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge – added 280 rooms
333 Adams Street, Brooklyn
Construction Completed: September, 2006
September 2006 saw the addition of 280 new rooms as part of a 24-story expansion to the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge. This expansion also added 2,000 additional square feet of meeting space for a total of 656 guest rooms and 30,000 total square feet of meeting space. Premium retail space was added along Adams Street. The pedestrian plaza between Adams and Jay Streets will be improved with new street furniture, lighting and landscaping. A two-level pedestrian bridge links the expansion to the existing hotel.
www.brooklynmarriott.com
Public: 718/246-7000 Press: 212/704-8906
This is a newly built addition.

Courtyard by Marriott New York Upper East Side – 210 rooms, 16 suites
410 East 92nd Street at York Avenue
Opened: September, 2006
Just steps from Museum Mile and the most renowned healthcare facilities including Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and New York Presbyterian Hospital, this property features comfortable rooms with free high-speed Internet access, a fitness center with 50 ft. indoor lap pool, whirlpool, steam room, sauna and massage facilities. Business Center and meeting space to accommodate 122 people.
www.marriott.com
Public 212/410-6777 Press: 212/704-8906

Radisson Martinique – 532 rooms
49 West 32nd Street
Reflagged: August, 2006
The former Holiday Inn has been reflagged the Radisson Hotel Martinique after completing a guest room renovation that included the installation of Radisson Sleep Number beds and flat-screen televisions, will also add additional meeting space and a supper club next year.
Press and Public: 212/736-3800

Fairfield Inn by Marriott JFK - 110 Guest Rooms
156-08 Rockaway Boulevard
Jamaica, NY 11434
Re-flagged May 31, 2006
Formerly the Doubletree Club JFK, this property is under new ownership and management and just completed a full property renovation.
Press and Public: 718/977-3300

Doubletree Hotel JFK Airport - 386 Guest Rooms
135-30 140th Street
Jamaica, NY 11436
Re-flagged: July 2006
Formerly the Radisson Hotel JFK, this hotel is under new ownership and management and just completed a full $10 million property renovation. This property is the second-largest hotel at JFK Airport.
Press and Public: 718-322-2300

Marrakech Hotel NYC – 125 rooms
2688 Broadway (at 103rd Street)
Opened: Summer 2006
The Marrakech is a newly renovated Moroccan theme hotel featuring Authentic Moroccan décor and room rates starting at $119. The hotel features Salon Arabe a lounge which features a fireplace, 42 inch plasma tv and state of the art surround sound system. Guest rooms boast upscale amenities such as flat-screen TV’s, European bed linens, Ecco bath essentials in-room coffee makers, CD clock radios and high speed Internet access.
Phone: 212/222-2954

Wingate Inn LaGuardia – 136 rooms
137-07 Northern Blvd.
Flushing, NY
Opened: Summer 2006
Press: 718/445-3300

Gramercy Park Hotel - 186 hotel rooms and 23 private residential units
50 Gramercy Park
Opened: August 8, 2006
Ian Schrager’s latest hotel project has opened following a complete overhaul of one of the city’s truly legendary hotels.
Public: 212/920-3300 www.gramercyparkhotel.comPress: 212/228-1500

Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn – 115 rooms
625 Union Street
Brooklyn, NY
Opened: July 24, 2006
Press: 770/604-5597 Public: 718/797-1133

The Rockefeller Center Hotel – 80 rooms
25 West 51st Street
Opened: May 2006
The Rockefeller Center Hotel is the first hotel in Rockefeller Center. Located at the top of Rockefeller Plaza, many guest rooms face the ice skating rink, Radio City Music Hall and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The facility is state of the art, with instant registration, 24 - hour concierge, free high-speed Internet access and use of a computer and printer in a business lounge. The hotel will have a health facility, restaurant, bar and lounge.
Press: 212/626-9382
This is a converted property.

Econo Lodge Times Square - 50 Rooms
302 West 47th Street
Opened: February 2006
Press and Public: 212/246-1991
Choice Hotels’ newest Manhattan hotel located in the heart of Times Square offering affordable accommodations.

Blue Moon Hotel – 22 suites
100 Orchard Street
Opened: April 2006
Manhattan's only kosher hotel opened in April 2006 in a beautifully restored tenement building which creates the charm of Old World, late-19th Century Orchard Street while providing modern and chic amenities. Guests will experience Historic Americana through the hotel's ethnic dining and live Jazz music.
www.bluemoon-nyc.com
Press and Public: 212/533-9080
This property has been converted from a tenement to a hotel.

The Night Hotel - 72 rooms
132 West 45th Street
Opened: February 2006
Formerly the Best Western Ambassador, The Night Hotel is inspired by the pulse and passion of New York City, Vikram Chatwal's new property is a stylish petite hotel of distinctive elegance.
Press: 212/777-3455

Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square – 357 suites
W. 39th Street & 6th Avenue
Opened: December 2005
The first Residence Inn by Marriott in New York City, this extended stay hotel is part of the Bryant Park Tower, a 43-story building that includes 96 studio and one-bedroom rental apartments, street level retail space, a bar overlooking Bryant Park and onsite valet parking. The hotel is owned by G. Holdings Corporation and operated as a Residence Inn.
Press: 212/704-8906 www.marriott.com

Hampton Inn Manhattan/Seaport – Financial District – 65 rooms
320 Pearl Street
Opened: December 2005
Press and Public: 1-800-Hampton, www.hamptoninn.com

Holiday Inn Express Midtown-Fifth Avenue – 125 rooms
13 West 45th Street
Opened: October 2005
InterContinental Hotels Group opened their first Holiday Inn Express in Manhattan. The popular midtown location at Fifth Avenue and 45th Street is walking distance from many of the city’s most popular attractions including Grand Central Station, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park and Fifth Avenue shopping.
Press: 770/604-5597 Public: 212/302-9088

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square – 369 rooms
790 Eighth Avenue at 48th Street
Re-Flagged: October 2005
In the heart of the theatre district this newly renovated hotel offers the business traveler a 24 hour complimentary business center, high-speed Internet and wireless high-speed Internet access in the lobby and indoor parking. This is the 250th Hilton Garden Inn and the first in New York City.
Press and Public: 212/581-7000

The Hampton Inn Times Square North – 300 rooms
851 Eighth Avenue at 51st Street
Re-Flagged: August 1, 2005
Formerly the Howard Johnson Plaza, the property has undergone a complete transformation including new guestrooms, bathrooms, changes to the exterior of the hotel and an expanded lobby and hotel entrance. Guests at the property enjoy a complimentary "On the House" Hot Breakfast each morning.
Press and Public: 1-800-Hampton
www.hamptoninn.com

Comfort Inn and Suites – 76 guest rooms
60-30 Maurice Avenue
Maspeth, Queens
Opened: July 2005
This new mid-market hotel is 1 ½ miles from mid-town Manhattan, 2 miles from LaGuardia Airport and offers free parking, airport shuttle and complimentary continental breakfast.
Press and Public: 718/457-5555
www.comfortinn.com

Affinia Manhattan – 526 suites
371 Seventh Avenue
Renamed: July 2005
Following a $3.3 million renovation, the Affinia Manhattan was re-launched. Formerly the Southgate Tower, the Affinia Manhattan offers business and leisure travelers an authentic New York experience with every stay. The property is centrally located in midtown near Madison Square Garden, Penn Station the Javits Convention Center, shopping theater and Chelsea.
Public: 212/563-1800 Press: 212/229-0119
www.affinia.com

Hotel 57 – 225 rooms
130 East 57th Street at Lexington Ave.
Opened: June 2005
After undergoing a $20 million complete renovation, Hotel 57, formerly a budget property reopened as a sophisticated full service hotel with contemporary and comfortable rooms. At Lexington Ave. and East 57th Street, the location is ideal for business and leisure travelers alike.
Press and Public: 212/651-3225

La Quinta Inn Queens - 100 rooms
37-18 Queens Blvd.,
Long Island City, Queens
Opened: May 15, 2005
La Quinta Inn Queens is located less than two miles from Manhattan directly across the Queensboro Bridge, and less than ten minutes by cab from La Guardia Airport, the property is La Quinta's second in New York City.
Public: 718/729-8775 Press: 212/808-6556

Hampton Inn Manhattan/Madison Square Garden – 136 rooms
31st Street at Sixth Avenue
Opened: November 2004
Press and Public: 1-800-Hampton www.hamptoninn.com

Hilton Garden Inn JFK – 190 rooms
148-18 134th Street
Jamaica, NY
Opened: February 2005
Press and Public: 718/332-4448

Courtyard by Marriott Manhattan Fifth Avenue (formerly Hotel 5A) – 189 rooms
3 East 40th Street
Renamed: January 2005
This 30-story boutique hotel located in the heart of New York City offers comfortable rooms with a work desk and complimentary high-speed internet access. By late 2005, there will be some new enhancements -- guest rooms will feature plush bedding with extra pillows along with a fitness center, a market, an executive boardroom, and a business center.
Public: 212/447-1500www.marriott.com Press 212/704-8906

Sources: NYC & Company communications and research departments, member hotels; PKF Consulting; PriceWaterhouse Coopers Lodging Research Network, Lodging Investment Advisors, Manhattan Report, VMS International, HVS International, The New York Times; Travel Weekly; Condé Nast Traveler; Business Travel News.

© 2006 NYC & Company, Inc.
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #580
krull
In Time

Jamaica lights up
12M hub planned for dark stretch under LIRR

Artists' renderings of
proposed development
on the east side of
Sutphin Blvd.,
between Archer and
94th Aves.

BY PETE DONOHUE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
November 29, 2006

A shabby stretch of downtown Jamaica, sitting in the shadows of the LIRR station, will be transformed into a bright commercial hub, officials said yesterday.

Inspired by the teeming Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, the Greater Jamaica Development Corp. has secured $12 million to create some 5,600 square feet of commercial space on the east side of Sutphin Blvd., between Archer and 94th Aves.

That's a small fraction of the space dedicated to shops and restaurants at Grand Central, but it could be a significant step forward for the downtown Jamaica area, said Andrew Manshel, the corporation's senior vice president of real estate development.

"We're hoping that the renovation of that space will be a catalyst for the continuing redevelopment of Jamaica," Manshel said.

"We're hoping to provide a heightened level of service to Long Island Rail Road passengers and provide them with an incentive to do some shopping downtown."

The plan includes infusing the viaduct with light by installing electronic panels - which will display colorful patterns - above the enclosed sidewalk, Manshel said.

The area currently is a "foreboding" place, Roco Krsulic, head of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's real estate and advertising division, said at an MTA committee meeting this week.

"If you've been under that underpass you really will appreciate what this project will do," Krsulic said.

The MTA board today is expected to approve a 20-year lease for the property with the development corporation.

The support and efforts of Linda Kleinbaum, an MTA deputy executive director, were critical in getting the pact done, Manshel said.

"They have been fabulous," Manshel said.

Funding for the project has been provided by the federal and state governments, the Port Authority and the MTA, Manshel said.

The western side of Sutphin Blvd. between Archer and 94th Aves., where the Port Authority built a terminal for the AirTrain to Kennedy Airport, was previously renovated.

The lease calls for the development corporation to pay the MTA $55,920 the first year of the two-decade lease. Subsequent annual payments will increase by 3%.

All contents ? 2006 Daily News, L.P.

Tags
new york city