daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #5901
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Looks great. What would that green cladding material be?

And yeah there will be a nice contrast between the neighboring building and this project.

streetscapeer, Ulpia-Serdica liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; November 15th, 2015 at 10:17 PM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #5902
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Larger version:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/re...ref=realestate

teles448, erbse, Minsk liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #5903
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Tribeca Project - 15 Renwick Street

Vertical Aesthete

el palmesano liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:52 AM   #5904
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Call me overly proud of my city, but I don't believe there's higher quality architecture going up anywhere in the world than what's currently going up in SoHo/TriBeCa? I won't say all of NYC is so blessed, that'd be a lie, particularly outside of Manhattan quality goes down. But walking around SoHo, I'm in constant visual euphoria looking at how much these new buildings are contributing to make SoHo more visually pleasing, when I didn't even think it was possible.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 04:57 AM   #5905
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6574

you should explore the world more often Lol
BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 05:29 AM   #5906
royal rose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickellresidence View Post
you should explore the world more often Lol
Thanks buddy, I've been to 40+ countries, including the "hub" of contemporary architecture, ie London and Scandinavia in the last six months, and I have to disagree with you. I think you need to walk around NYC more and get out of Mexico City to see what quality architecture is. How about you propose a counter in the form of neighborhoods with better architecture instead of being a troll.

Also, realize that height doesn't have any correlation with quality, in fact, I believe low to midrises are almost universally better quality, thus Dubai and China, and really everywhere except select European cities aren't credible counterpoints.
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #5907
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1604

I guess it's the fact that NY has a lot of money behind its architecture. Manhattan doesn't have unlimited land, so you either had to build tall or pretty buildings to stay in the game. With other cities being rather strict about height, NY was able to gather around all the best architects, because many of them dreamt about designing beautiful towers, and it was possible to do it here and nowhere else.
The fact that some ugly glass-only towers are being built in NY still boggles my mind, but I guess that's where height matters more than looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Looks great. What would that green cladding material be?

And yeah there will be a nice contrast between the neighboring building and this project.
Website says that it's terracotta facade with copper window frames.
Interiors look a bit too retro for my taste, but damn that building is sure a looker on the outside.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #5908
royal rose1

Thanks for the productive contribution, I agree. And the biggest issue at hand particularly, to expand on your point, is the lack of land and abundance of wealth in SoHo in Tribeca, these neighborhoods are extremely expensive to live in, have strict boards that govern what designs match the historical context of the neighborhood, and due to the status of the neighborhood, it's able to attract the world's best architects such as Jean Nouvel, to build lowrise architecture, and channel the best of their talent.

royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #5909
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Nat Geo posted a neat interactive graphic showing NYC's future skyline.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ne...own-manhattan/
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #5910
streetscapeer
hmmm......

National Geographic has cool interactive renderings of Manhattan's future skyline. I took screenshots and made gifs for easy viewing:

SCROLL -->

World Trade Center Complex

Hudson Yards - Phase I

57th St Corridor - Billionaire's Row

Old November 16th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #5911
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

please is the project of canarsie line new metro still exist? i've heard 15 years ago that a project like this was in the track

Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 02:37 AM   #5912
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Thank you for posting that bodegavendetta/streetscaper, that turned my Monday around. It's a shame they didn't include the new cluster that's forming around Madison Square Park where at least 3 200+ meter buildings are going up.

Additionally, I not only fully expect the area between 1 Vanderbilt and the 57th St billionaire buildings to fill out once East Midtown Rezoning fully passes, but the Hudson Yards and Penn Station area should continue to see massive amounts of development.
Old November 19th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #5913
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4606

290 West Street

http://fieldcondition.com/blog/2015/11/17/290-west

Old November 19th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #5914
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Nice industrial look!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #5915
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

That corner used to be a gas station! A huge improvement.

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #5916
Zabonz
Master Planner

Likes (Received): 1351

Beutifull!

p.s. Love the 56 Leonard on the last pic!

Zabonz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #5917
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

St. John's Terminal Redevelopment Gets First Renderings

Quote:
The redevelopment of the St. John's Terminal site could bring over 1,500 residential units, many of them affordable, to the West Village, and the first images of what that project could look like are finally out, The Villager reports. Local residents aren't too thrilled about the proposed development, which entails razing the existing 1 million-square-foot St. John's Terminal building and erecting a 1.7 million-square-foot multi-building project, despite the benefits the developers say it would offer the community. For the time being, the plan is conceptual; it still needs to pass through a uniform land use review procedure (ULURP) before getting the go-ahead.

In a community meeting held this month, project architect COOKFOX presented designs for the Atlas Capital Group- and Westbrook Partners-developed project. The development's highlights include 500 units of affordable housing, of which 175 units are just for seniors. A little number crunching turns back that, at that rate, one-third of the projects apartments will be affordable, which is well above what's par for the course.

Here's how the plan breaks down: The tallest residential building proposed for the site, at 430 feet tall, will be fully market rate and sit at the northern end of the development. The 175-unit senior housing building will also be in this area, as will 40,000 square feet of retail—the developers suggest bringing in a Trader Joe's. There's also an additional 105,000 square feet of basement space for a big box-type store, as per the developer's suggestions. The middle section of development will include a smaller residential building with almost equal market rate and affordable apartments spread throughout, and a small garden adjacent to this building would connect it to the another fully market-rate residential building. The southern portion of the development will hold a set of mews and a 350-room hotel.

The plan also includes publicly accessible park space. When St. John's Terminal was still in use, platforms connected it to the elevated railway track that now makes up the High Line. Under COOKFOX's plan, those platforms will be converted into mini elevated park space, much like the High Line.

If the plan moves forward, the developers will pay $100 million to the city to purchase Pier 40's air rights for the redevelopment of the terminal. In turn, those funds can be pumped back into the crumbling pier, which is in urgent need of repair.

Neighborhood residents are so up-in-arms because they believe the development does not address the burden it will add to the limited amount of schools in the area, the fact that they need more medical facilities, and how the flood protection mechanism for this development might endanger the homes of other residents in the area.

"The tallest building in this plan is equal to the Trump Soho," Andrew Berman, the director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, told The Villager. "The overall project is equal to six Trump Sohos."

If the proposed development does not pass the ULURP process, the developers may move ahead with an as-of-right development, which wouldn't allow for the residential buildings the developer is looking to add.

At the community meeting, the developers assured that this will be the first of several discussions with the community in terms of designs and proposals before the project moves forward.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/1...rings.php#more

Edit: Two additional diagrams from The Villager
http://thevillager.com/2015/11/19/ar...-johns-project

Last edited by bodegavendetta; November 20th, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 01:07 AM   #5918
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58005

So Gotham, Art-decoesque! Totally adore it! Like a termite hill.

And BOY, my eyes! The Fitzroy by JDS has to be officially the greatest peace of Deco ever since this style took a halt in the 1940s/50s! Wow, über amazing. This could potentially be right up there with gems like the American Radiator Building. Can't wait for it!

I mean, seriously, this just has to be quoted:

http://jdsdevelopment.com/the-fitzroy/

Giving you the thrills. That glazing beauty. Now if they'd add actual ornaments, this will rob people of their sleep.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 03:17 AM   #5919
Chris08876
Organischer Chemiker!

Likes (Received): 1020

Fellow New Yorkers and users who adore the city. A memo:

The Memo:

The new SSC NYC sub-forum is up, so be sure to check it out. Its organized by borough, so no more confusion like in the world forum. Just pure NYC focus.

More threads will be added.
Chris08876 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2015, 03:42 AM   #5920
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58005

The New York City forum looks great now, thanks!

That's pretty much how I wanted it to look like for years.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city