daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #5961
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

Wow, some great updates, thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Meh, it's got some nice texture to it. The base might be too nice for an 80s modernism nightmare, too.
Yeah, "nightmare" is probably an exaggeration. I was a little put off by the weird geometry around the windows, but if I've learned anything on this forum in the past couple years it's that SHoP delivers and their buildings tend to come out even better than in renders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Those two buildings will look great together.
I am psyched for that block. Two buildings playing on the same theme: hard modern angles tempered by delicate, nonlinear facade detail. They contrast so much in terms of tone and texture, and yet they could almost be twins. Or at least brothers from another mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
The hell is that dilldo in the middle?
Heh, that's the HY Phase II office tower. Thus far, the Phase II buildings we've seen in renders and models have all been placeholders, but there have been several recently that include a version of that design...

Let's just say I do really hope it's still only a placeholder. As pictured that building doesn't belong in the same sentence as 35 and 55 HY, much less on the same corner.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #5962
obses

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
The render sees far better than in real life.

almin96, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
obses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #5963
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58031

It's not a good photo at all. It might look better in person when finished, so not decided yet. Better quality pics highly welcome!

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #5964
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25258

AvalonBay Plans 33 Stories at 1865 Broadway on the Upper West Side

Quote:
Just as AvalonBay Communities wraps up its big Brooklyn tower at 100 Willoughby Street, the developer has filed new building applications for a 33-story development at 1865 Broadway, just north of Columbus Circle on the Upper West Side.

The building would reach 416 feet into the air and span 270,550 square feet. It would bring 160 apartments and 34,000 square feet of retail to the corner of West 61st Street, the former headquarters of the American Bible Society. The apartments would be divided across 236,532 square feet of residential space, for units averaging 1,478 square feet each.

Retail would fill the first two floors of a six-story base, and 30 stories of apartments would be stacked on top. Diagrams show that the structure will be setback after the sixth floor, creating a shared roof deck on the seventh. The lower floors would have 13 to 15 units each, seven units apiece on the eighth through 13th floors, followed by a duplex on the 14th and 15th floors and two units per story. The remaining stories would hold three or four units each.

[...]
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:58 PM   #5965
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Lower East Side - 100 Norfolk St

Tectonic
Old December 1st, 2015, 05:58 PM   #5966
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Chelsea - 505 W 19th St

From the top

See more photos at Field Condition
Old December 1st, 2015, 06:38 PM   #5967
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Sutton Place Project - 900 Feet

Demolition Permits Obtained For Bauhouse’s 900-Foot Tower At 426-432 East 58th Street, Sutton Place

Old December 1st, 2015, 09:54 PM   #5968
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ Oh noes! Another 432 Park Ave! Crap. Though it's slightly more structured, this kind of tall boxy cubature is just horrid. Don't do that again NY, please! The skyline's ruined at that rate.

PS: "Bauhouse"? They're joking right? That's an insult to Bauhaus. To hell with 'em.

Opulentus liked this post
Old December 1st, 2015, 10:24 PM   #5969
streetscapeer
hmmm......

This one is way more elegant than 432 Park Ave. Much more mid-century modern, with the earthy colors and thin lines the structure forms... and thus way more glassy as well.

baisaroff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 10:43 PM   #5970
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
This one is way more elegant than 432 Park Ave. Much more mid-century modern, with the earthy colors and thin lines the structure forms... and thus way more glassy as well.
Yep, I think 3 Sutton Place hews much more to the classic Miesian typography than 432 PA ever could. Viñoly's designs remind me of Stanley Tigerman ...after a severe stroke!
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:27 PM   #5971
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ Oh noes! Another 432 Park Ave! Crap. Though it's slightly more structured, this kind of tall boxy cubature is just horrid. Don't do that again NY, please! The skyline's ruined at that rate.
Agreed. It looks like something a two year old could have come up with.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 07:13 PM   #5972
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

Why do you have to troll every thread. Why not go hang out in the photography section and post your comments on the good ol days in there.

New York - you're looking fantastic, 2015 has been a very good year for Manhattan, it's really raising the bar in creativity and quality.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:03 PM   #5973
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ It's neither trolling nor opinionism. Critical thinking is a prerequisite for contributing in a discussion forum, especially when it comes to something that will last for many years -perhaps decades or even centuries-, like a tall skyscraper.

We can agree to disagree on tastes here, but you have to admit it has a very simple cubature, lacking some ambition (flat roof, no spire/crown/steep roof, no setbacks, no soaring shape). The facade might be interesting when seen up close, but many will only see it from a distance, so basically a long drawn-out box. Like 432 Park Avenue. Some might like it, but it's the good right of everyone who doesn't to state why - and no one has to accept a long-lasting building without stating an opinion, we're living in a free world.

Opulentus, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2015, 10:52 PM   #5974
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

Critical thinking? If it was critical thinking then I'd completely agree. Saying a two year old could do it - is insulting to the architect the profession and the integrity of this forum.

Constructive comments are always welcome, trolling is not.

.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:17 PM   #5975
erbse
LIBERTINED

Here I agree, though we also have very simplistic one-liner positive comments that barely anyone complains about, ever. (We've got the "Like" button introduced for a reason, too.)

Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:35 PM   #5976
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I think it depends on the quality of the execution. If it has a nice corten steel or Miesian painted black steel cladding with actual depth, instead of cheap black aluminium panels, it could turn out really nice. And those trees could add some vibrance.

I do hope some taller buildings with interesting crowns are built, however. The Nordstrom Tower doesn't deserve to be the tallest, I think.

erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 06:06 AM   #5977
CurlzerUK

Likes (Received): 30

Wow, NYC is booming again.

CurlzerUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:32 PM   #5978
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
Critical thinking? If it was critical thinking then I'd completely agree. Saying a two year old could do it - is insulting to the architect the profession and the integrity of this forum.

Constructive comments are always welcome, trolling is not.
Perhaps I should have worded my comment differently.

I just don't see the appeal of the building. To me, it is a tall, glass rectangle with very little thought or effort put into its design. Nothing more, nothing less. I wish I could see more in it but I can't.

When I look at a building from a century ago, I am amazed by the skill and craftsmanship it took to design and construct it, there was real heart and passion, and those involved cared genuinely about how the building looked and how it would impact its local area; the greatest of attention was applied to the most miniscule of detail. This attitude doesn't seem to exist anymore. Instead, we see buildings with blank, soulless facades, flat roofs and virtually no ornamentation.

Recently, there has been a sort of renaissance in traditional styles, and I think it would be beneficial for New York (and the world of architecture in general) if this were to continue. New York is losing its identity and its culture as a result of these modernist buildings; they could be seen anywhere in the world, and that is the flaw with most buildings today, there is no individuality, they all look the same.

For the benefit of us all, it is vital that cities protect and preserve their heritage and their traditions. London, once one of the world's most impressive cities, has tragically lost what used made it special. Don't let the same happen to New York.

Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #5979
Kopacz

Likes (Received): 1604

It would look better if they got rid of the trees and worked on some actual ornaments for the facade. Seriously, stop putting a forest on skyscrapers because they always end up with only a few flowers plucked here and there.

Kopacz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #5980
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

Buildings do not define an identity or culture , they are it's most visual and materialistic representation ...

skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city