daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #6241
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

414 West 15th Street in Chelsea is really stunning while i am pretty dubious as Cetra Rudy is not Andrea Palladio!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #6242
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17003

I did a small update yesterday ...all from the New Jersey side

- 10 Manhattan Projects
-WTC 1 & 3
Small Urban Jersey update
Uptown , Midtown , Lower Manhattan Skyline

Next Update will be posted on Friday 3.4.16

Covering...

South Norwalk,CT
Stamford,CT
White Plains,NY
Lower Manhattan
WTC Complex , WTC 1 , 3 , 4 , Hub / Brookfield Center
Downtown Newark
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by Nexis; March 2nd, 2016 at 04:42 PM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #6243
hseugut

Likes (Received): 784

Amazing NYC ... can't wait to be there !

hseugut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #6244
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27268

This tread is just awesome. No matter if skyscraper, highrise oder Lowrise: There is some kind of regional "New-New Yorkian" Architecture language, visible which you can easily connect to the city, which looks great, diverse and retromodern without beeing tacky. Not much development hotspots are really able to achieve such a high class recognizable architecture in masses next to their "Everywhere-else-in-the-world-stuff"
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 08:05 PM   #6245
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

MetLife Building Redesign Competition Finalists Announced

1. PANAM UNDER GLASS: VOA Architecture, PLLC and Werner Sobek New York Corp.

Quote:
“Piercing the tower on either side of the New York Central Building and then chiseling bulk away around the penetrations creates just enough transparency to allow the building to remain a focal point without the complete removal of mass between the core and the wings. Removed floor area is relocated to graduated upper floors to suggest skyward ascension. The outer glass sheath restores the building to a simpler geometry,” says the presentation. “Adapting the tapered form of the tower as a geometric module/motif creates a non-directional pattern across the surface of the tower – in keeping with early models and renderings which emphasized the form over the surface. Applied in a larger scale to the tower allows for maximum daylighting while the denser, smaller scale at the podium creates a more monolithic reading much closer to pedestrian level.”
2. PERFORMANCE‐BASED PRESERVATION: SHoP Architects, Heintges, and CASE-RPI

Quote:
“Our proposal for 200 Park Avenue preserves the most iconic element of the existing facade: its precast concrete shell. On the north and south, we add a new unitized curtainwall outboard of the concrete that uses emerging materials to generate energy while dynamically controlling solar heat gain and glare. On the east and west, we bring the new envelope inboard of the concrete to highlight the materiality and plasticity of the existing skin,” said the presentation. “By preserving and overcladding – instead of demolishing and recladding – our proposal reduces the building’s environmental impact by 42% over the next 50 years.”

3. THERMALSWITCH FAÇADE: StudioTJOA

Quote:
“The Thermalswitch facade looks at hybridizing the overcladding and double skin techniques to create a unitized frame which mounts directly over the existing precast panels. The Metlife facade is constructed of a primary precast panel with integrated fins on both sides that alternates every other bay. Between these primary panels, secondary infills are set at the spandrel conditions,” the presentation said. “Because the Thermalswitch unit is designed to fit over the existing single floor unit, once the units are unloaded on a floor above, the existing glazing is removed and they are set via a custom horizontal slide and floor crane through the opening of the precast unit.”
4. HARNESSING URBAN ENERGIES: FXFOWLE, THORNTON TOMASETTI, and DAGHER ENGINEERING

Quote:
Broadly considered, the building façade is a mediating element: between public and private realms; between interior and exterior environments; and between urban and human scales. In working through and reconciling these sometimes conflicting considerations, the design takes on a specific character. At the urban scale we have striven to make readable on the façade an idea about the particular location of this building in mid-town Manhattan. We have also strategically re-shaped the tower to repair some of the damage that was done to the skyline as viewed from both ends of Park Avenue by the construction of the Pan Am building in the first place. At the building scale we have re-invented the form, the spatial experience, and the image/identity of the building while retaining in its essence the composition of the original design. At the façade scale we have developed a cladding system that significantly improves energy performance and enhances the workplace environment,” said the presentation.

“Finally, we have created amenity spaces that take advantage of unparalleled urban vistas for enjoyment by the building users as well as by the general public. All of these interventions have been made without a loss in leasable square footage, by harvesting space from the reduction in the size of mechanical systems – an example of just one of the synergies that stem from the design of an exceptionally energy efficient façade. We believe that our approach is applicable on a broader scale to many under-performing high rise buildings.”
5. VERTIMEME: AECOM and Volley Studio

Quote:
This proposal doubles the height of the building and removes and re-purposes old elements. It would “layer the new high performance facade to intercept and re-purpose the local energy flows to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and the overall carbon footprint. Approach Zero.” It would also “increase occupant wellbeing by merging deep energy retrofit strategies that provide fresh air and access to daylight to support our natural circadian rhythms. Increase biodiversity inside and out of the building, increase the wellbeing of the city by providing new public green plazas.”
6. FARM FOLLOWS FICTION: LemayLAB, Ecosystem, and Sefaira

Quote:
This concept reconceives a lot of the building as an urban farm. The presentation was done in the form of a short graphic novel.
More info at YIMBY.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 08:39 PM   #6246
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Holy shmoly, way to re-envision an NY icon (albeit one that garners mixed feelings from all corners.) The SHoP and StudioTJOA proposals are great in terms of preserving the character of the building while updating it for the modern office tenants that will hopefully be flooding into Midtown East.

But come on...

Just build this 1616 ft. behemoth already.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 08:46 PM   #6247
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6535

Nr. is awesome!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 08:54 PM   #6248
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6581

HOLY ..... thats going to be a architecture-renovation revolution!

BrickellResidence está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:16 PM   #6249
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Ugh, no.. all of those are terrible. Why ruin the original character to such boring all-glass designs?
If they want something more thermally efficient, just replace the existing glass.

And people keep saying they "won't repeat the mistakes" of the ones who ruined pre-war buildings. They're doing the exact same thing to the Met-Life.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:20 PM   #6250
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22575

I don't think this is a competition for a redesign anyway. Just something to get the creative juices flowing. I like SHoP's design, everything else is a bit too over the top.

In other news, Tishman Speyer is going ham in Long Island City.

Tishman Speyer plans massive LIC office project, looks to raise EB-5 money

this is right next to this project:

Foundation work begins at Tishman Speyer’s Long Island City project

Last edited by Hudson11; March 2nd, 2016 at 09:27 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:23 PM   #6251
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I think it's more creative to make the building energy efficient without ruining the original design.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:38 PM   #6252
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Ugh, no.. all of those are terrible. Why ruin the original character to such boring all-glass designs?
If they want something more thermally efficient, just replace the existing glass.
I think it's more creative to make the building energy efficient without ruining the original design.
The StudioTJOA proposal is virtually identical to what's there already, with some added texture due to these movable window casings.

But as Hudson points out, this isn't a real design competition, and I don't think we should expect anything more than some minor efficiency upgrades.

AbidM, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 06:04 AM   #6253
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Yeah, they will almost certainly choose either SHoP or TJOA's proposals. It would be amazing if they actually went back to the old PanAm logo if they go with SHoP's proposal. Highly unlikely, but I'm holding out a dim hope lol.

And wow @ the new Tishman project in LIC. I can't imagine what the 7 train will be like during rush hour when all these new units come online. Exciting nonetheless.

bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 06:29 AM   #6254
benpicko

Likes (Received): 96

The Met-Life's one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen, but those aren't much better
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:13 PM   #6255
tateyb

Likes (Received): 368

Journal Squared Adding Three Peaks to Jersey City Skyline

Quote:
Journal Square is a historic residential and business district in Jersey City that achieved fame for its vibrant assortment of movie palaces. Named after the Jersey Journal newspaper that once housed their headquarters in the area, Journal Square is served by a multi-modal transportation hub that provides PATH rail service to Newark, Harrison, Hoboken, and Jersey City, plus lower and midtown Manhattan in New York City. While most transit hubs are credited with injecting life into an urban area, the relocation of the Port Authority bus terminal coupled with the popularity of local shopping malls actually decreased foot traffic. Though the decline of the neighbourhood has left a gap in the local economy, it has also presented a clean slate of sorts for some developers who are hoping to rejuvenate this cultural corridor. KRE Group and National Real Estate Advisors are among two city builders realizing this potential, reaching into their pocketbooks, and investing in the area with a three-tower residential development.

Journal Squared and the Statue of Liberty, image by towerpower123

tateyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:15 PM   #6256
C4creeper
The architect of my world

Likes (Received): 63

I'd prefer them to leave the Met-Life building the way it is,I find it to be a landmark more than a corporate office building, anyway,why does SHoP design use the Panam logo?

C4creeper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:18 PM   #6257
C4creeper
The architect of my world

Likes (Received): 63

And I think if I had to choose out of any of the designs for the M-L tower, I'd choose Stark's design.

teles448, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
C4creeper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #6258
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

NEW YORK | Projects &amp; Construction

It was initially the Pan-Am Tower

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 11:00 PM   #6259
ophizer

Likes (Received): 132

why, oh why

not every building needs to be a glass box,
this is one of the best examples of the international style and should not be touched
Old March 5th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #6260
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17003

I took photos of 14 projects in Suburban Connecticut , a few projects in Lower Manhattan and of course the World Trade Center...

Stamford , Norwalk
Lower Manhattan
World Trade Center

Next Week I will be doing some non redevelopment photography in South Jersey.

2nd week of March : South Jersey / Philly?

3rd Week of March : Downtown Newark , University Heights - Newark , The Ironbound - Newark , East Newark , Harrison , Journal Sq - Jersey City , Downtown Jersey City

4th Week of March : Hackensack , Bogota , Ridgefield Park , Downtown Brooklyn , Gowanus , Red Hook

5th Week of March : Oradell , River Edge , New Milford

A lot of Jersey Centric projects this month and next....
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city