daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #6381
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpicko View Post
Nobody would care if the replacements were similarly beautiful, but when the best being offered is a glass block of course people will care. If caring about the beauty of a city is 'crying over spilled milk', then I'll happily continue doing so.
....That's not how historic preservation works, in practice - in law, and if you'd like to comprehend why this building is being torn down rather than preserved, we can have that discussion.

Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you lot. The building isn't valuable. There's no point in saving it. It does not contribute any "historic" value to that neighborhood.

Downtown has been a sea of modernist boxes for decades, now.
Art deco is not at risk of being lost - in the city, or country.
There are existing structures that constitute masterful examples of that style, in this neighborhood and elsewhere in the city.

Hence, it is of no worth saving; when considerations of making space for developable land hangs in the balance.

In an ideal world, older structures obviously wouldn't need to be torn down, but we don't live an ideal world, and space isn't unlimited.

Manhattan is an island.

Continuing to go on about it is, indeed, crying over spilled milk. I normally gloss over it, but it happens every so often, despite repeated attempts to explain why everything older than 15 years isn't (and can't be) preserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellvis View Post
Apologies but I beg to disagree, these are the type of buildings that for me typify New York. It may not be the best example of NYC Art Deco and it may not have any historic merit, it may not be important and I don't care if it's uptown, downtown or mid town, it's a beautiful building and to demolish it 10 odd years short of it's centenary is cruel. I love New York with a passion and it hurts to see the fabric of New York slowly eroded.
Alas, we have the same problem here in London. We have plenty of historic and protected buildings but we are gradually losing the old 'pretty but unimportant' buildings, the buildings that have to particular merit but buildings that form the fabric of London. Redeveloped under the 'progress banner'.
But I guess someone is getting wealthy redeveloping this site and it's difficult to fight the developers on so many fronts. Very sad. A tale of two cities.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:44 AM   #6382
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
The building isn't valuable. There's no point in saving it. It does not contribute any "historic" value to that neighborhood.

Downtown has been a sea of modernist boxes for decades, now.

Hence, it is of no worth saving; when considerations of making space for developable land hangs in the balance.
You're being obtuse about this particular case. This building was valuable because Trinity Square was surrounded entirely by older buildings. When you were standing there and looked around, it felt like you were in the 1930s from all sides. Now, it'll only look like that from three sides.

I think your argument works better for the buildings being demolished for One Vanderbilt...they weren't that interesting and that part of Midtown had less of its old urban fabric intact than Trinity Square, which was anything but a sea of modernist boxes. I mean yeah it's not like they demolished the Woolworth Building but it's definitely a bummer.
Old April 19th, 2016, 04:02 AM   #6383
Amrafel
Bratislava YIMBY

Likes (Received): 5023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Speaking of under the radar starchitects in the city, I can't wait to see how Tadao Ando's project turns out. Simple and sophisticated, unlike some of those overly loud buildings we see too many of.
Some updates would be nice too.
More Japanese architects for Western cities, please. Simple, minimalist and with philosophy behind it - that's how modern architecture should be

BRATISLAVA YIMBY.

storms991, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Amrafel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 02:24 PM   #6384
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
You're being obtuse about this particular case. This building was valuable because Trinity Square was surrounded entirely by older buildings. When you were standing there and looked around, it felt like you were in the 1930s from all sides. Now, it'll only look like that from three sides.

I think your argument works better for the buildings being demolished for One Vanderbilt...they weren't that interesting and that part of Midtown had less of its old urban fabric intact than Trinity Square, which was anything but a sea of modernist boxes. I mean yeah it's not like they demolished the Woolworth Building but it's definitely a bummer.
I'm not being obtuse...I'm simply pointing out that the way things work, don't mirror the mindset of "I like it, it should stay."

Look, it's not like I don't agree. I do. The building is nice, but your example of the Woolworth is odd...this would be like demolishing a cast iron building in SoHo.

There are so few of those buildings left elsewhere in the city, or country, and little to no cohesive grouping of buildings, in that style, it is worth preventing a building being demolished, in that scenario.

If that same building happened to be in downtown, Brooklyn, it wouldn't be as high a priority.

I just get exasperated, because I've worked with people in historic preservation, and I'm simply explaining the mindset many of them have and the perspective of preservation laws/efforts.

There are other considerations to take into account, because everything can't - and won't - be saved.

If there were other buildings near the one, at hand, in very similar styles - there really isn't - then you would have what could be a historic district, with this structure being a key/contributing resource. As such, it would be worth saving.

As it currently stands, in the view of preservation efforts - understanding that the ability, time, effort, to preserve is limited - this is just not vital to the surroundings. It's a nice building, but not a "masterwork" example of Art Deco, doesn't have a cohesive grouping of Deco neighbors, and its neighborhood has long ago shifted its historic character, as older structures were demolished or altered beginning in the 60s and 70s.

That has nothing to do with a subjective value of the building but more about a hierarchical/comparative ordering of structures on which efforts should be focused.

If you want to criticize that, go ahead, I think that's a worthwhile discussion. However, I'm pointing out that the refrain of "we should make sure anything older than __ years is designated, particularly if it looks nice, and I like it," isn't how historic preservation works, in practice.

I mean, it should be patently obvious the tension between preservation, on the one hand, and development, on the other. You can't have a totality of either. There's a balance, and this building's fate is the consequence of a give-and-take.

Forgetting - or, as is often the case, refusing to accept - this reality is "being obtuse," to me.

phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #6385
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I'm not being obtuse...I'm simply pointing out that the way things work, don't mirror the mindset of "I like it, it should stay."

Look, it's not like I don't agree. I do. The building is nice, but your example of the Woolworth is odd...this would be like demolishing a cast iron building in SoHo.

There are so few of those buildings left elsewhere in the city, or country, and little to no cohesive grouping of buildings, in that style, it is worth preventing a building being demolished, in that scenario.

If that same building happened to be in downtown, Brooklyn, it wouldn't be as high a priority.

I just get exasperated, because I've worked with people in historic preservation, and I'm simply explaining the mindset many of them have and the perspective of preservation laws/efforts.

There are other considerations to take into account, because everything can't - and won't - be saved.

If there were other buildings near the one, at hand, in very similar styles - there really isn't - then you would have what could be a historic district, with this structure being a key/contributing resource. As such, it would be worth saving.

As it currently stands, in the view of preservation efforts - understanding that the ability, time, effort, to preserve is limited - this is just not vital to the surroundings. It's a nice building, but not a "masterwork" example of Art Deco, doesn't have a cohesive grouping of Deco neighbors, and its neighborhood has long ago shifted its historic character, as older structures were demolished or altered beginning in the 60s and 70s.

That has nothing to do with a subjective value of the building but more about a hierarchical/comparative ordering of structures on which efforts should be focused.

If you want to criticize that, go ahead, I think that's a worthwhile discussion. However, I'm pointing out that the refrain of "we should make sure anything older than __ years is designated, particularly if it looks nice, and I like it," isn't how historic preservation works, in practice.

I mean, it should be patently obvious the tension between preservation, on the one hand, and development, on the other. You can't have a totality of either. There's a balance, and this building's fate is the consequence of a give-and-take.

Forgetting - or, as is often the case, refusing to accept - this reality is "being obtuse," to me.
Regardless of it's historical value, one cannot deny that the older building was much more attractive. How can you justify such a beautiful building being demolished to make way for something so bad? It's criminal.
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #6386
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25292

Also what bodegavendetta says is true. The immediate area of this building is ALL classical buildings with respect to architecture, so demolishing the building does indeed break up the cohesiveness of that.

streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #6387
streetscapeer
hmmm......

I love that NYC is getting so many classically-inspired skyscrapers as of late

Old April 19th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #6388
streetscapeer
hmmm......

But 220 Central Park South might get lost in the behemoths going up nearby :P

Old April 20th, 2016, 02:37 AM   #6389
Android2001

Likes (Received): 2689

How many people can live in one of those residential supertalls? It's gotta be a huge amount equivalent to several city blocks of your average townhouse. Crazy stuff.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Andre_idol liked this post
Android2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 04:10 AM   #6390
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android2001 View Post
How many people can live in one of those residential supertalls? It's gotta be a huge amount equivalent to several city blocks of your average townhouse. Crazy stuff.
Not many. A lot of the units are floor-through meaning that you get one or two per floor. This is exclusivity on a global scale hence the moniker "Billionaire's Row".

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #6391
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android2001 View Post
i generally assume 1 person per unit/apartment, though in reality its probably much lower. Way less than 100 for sure.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #6392
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

53W53 Developer Plans 15 Story Senior Housing Project in Midtown
http://ny.curbed.com/2016/4/20/11467...ousing-midtown

Quote:
Hines, the developer behind such high-end Manhattan skyscrapers as Jean Nouvel's MoMA-adjacent 53W53 and the Jenga-esque 56 Leonard Street, is going in a bit of a different direction for its next project. Bloomberg reports that the developer has partnered with health care facilitator Welltower to create a new senior housing building on East 56th Street and Lexington Avenue. The new building, which will rise 15 stories, will replace a TGI Friday's. As Bloomberg notes, the neighborhood is better known for its pricey towers—including 53W53—and indeed, this new building would be only a few blocks from 432 Park Avenue.

The two companies noted that New York's older residents have been "vastly underserved," and that their property hopes to ameliorate that problem. "We expect this project will support a more-connected model for health-care delivery to seniors," an SVP for Welltower said in a statement.
And the original Bloomberg article: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...es-for-seniors
Old April 20th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #6393
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

LPC Approves Brooklyn’s First 1,000+ Foot Tower

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 09:23 PM   #6394
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Huge news for that one! Bring on the piling machines

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #6395
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2714

I can never get enough of this tower. Will absolutely become an icon.

LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #6396
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6581

damn thats one Iconic design!

BrickellResidence está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #6397
Momosty

Likes (Received): 16

Awesome news !

Momosty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 04:49 AM   #6398
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

The NYYimby article on the new brooklyn supertall is quite fantastic. Goes into detail on how they seamlessly integrated the Dime Savings Bank building into the design.

http://newyorkyimby.com/2016/04/land...extension.html

storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 06:52 AM   #6399
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Awesome! I love how it will also integrate with the historic structure next door:

Old April 21st, 2016, 06:23 PM   #6400
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
But 220 Central Park South might get lost in the behemoths going up nearby :P

Huh, what's that next to 10 HY?

droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city