daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #6501
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegentHouse View Post
RAMSA is the best choice. Apart from 111 West 57th Street and 340 Flatbush Avenue Extention, the former of which I assume you're talking about, I find most SHoP's work repulsive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Great to finally see more classical buildings (or at least their facades) protected and extended instead of torn down.
And RAMSA is a perfect choice, they'll do it carefully and with sensibility!

Looks like NY developers are finally eager to learn.
I disagree about RAMSA for a couple reasons.

First, whether you like Stern's brand of postmodern historicism, it's decidedly flat and not intricately detailed (chief examples: 30 Park, 220 CPS, Limestone Jesus around the corner.) In fact that's why some of us are so insistent on terms like "postmodern historicism" as opposed to "classical" when describing Stern's work. The Lee's Art Shop building, by contrast, is covered in fine details, and unless Stern is going to make a drastic departure from the style he's developed over his long career, you're going to wind up with an addition that's kind of close, but noticeably, awkwardly different.

I don't mind pale facsimiles when they're standing on their own, but I think if you melded one with the genuine article, you're going to wind up ruining both. For my money, if you're going to contrast old with new, make it a proper contrast. Hearst Tower is a great example, as are 837 Washington and Porter Hall. This is the same reason that if someone were to try to build a topper for the unfinished Met Life North Tower, I'd also rather it not be Stern.

Whether you like SHoP's skyscrapers or not is just a matter of taste. I tend to love their work, but I understand it's not for everyone. When I cited SHoP, I was referring specifically to Steinway Hall and the Dime Savings Bank in Brooklyn, both of which the architects have gone to extraordinary lengths to preserve and restore to their original grandeur. This is the kind of thought that a gem like the Lee's Art Shop building deserves.

Hearst Tower a block down is actually another great example of a successful preservation + addition, so I'd be happy to hear Norman Foster's name in the mix as well.

(Some of the projects on RAMSA's site indicate they're capable of a great restoration as well, so credit where it's due, but in addition to the awkward contrast stuff pointed out above, I trust SHoP and Foster for their experience doing these kind of projects in the specific context of New York City)

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #6502
hateman

Likes (Received): 1803

I'd like to see what a boutique New York architect like Peter Pennoyer or William Sofield or Roman and Williams could do with a major site like this. Ramsa is a natural choice for Billionaire's row though. While Stern might eschew most of the details that people look for in traditionalism, his designs are generally handsome and solid. I'm certain that 220 CPS and 520 Park will not disappoint, even if they don't fit everyone's view of what a contemporary or traditional tower should be. I don't think Stern does a pale facsimile, but his own architectural vision of what modern classicism looks like. What Stern does offer is a blue chip name. And no one else is designing limestone skyscrapers that high these days.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #6503
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
I'd like to see what a boutique New York architect like Peter Pennoyer or William Sofield or Roman and Williams could do with a major site like this...
These guys do excellent work! This site will likely spawn something tall, and there's always questions about whether a firm can successfully move from lowrises to supertalls (*cough*BIG*cough*) but I'd be excited to see what any of those firms came up with.

Quote:
I don't think Stern does a pale facsimile, but his own architectural vision of what modern classicism looks like. What Stern does offer is a blue chip name. And no one else is designing limestone skyscrapers that high these days.
Yeah, I didn't really mean to insult the guy, although I'm not the biggest fan of his work. For me it just seems like, either do a perfectly integrated, historically accurate addition to this building, or go hard in the other direction -- Stern sits somewhere in the uncanny valley in between.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 09:02 PM   #6504
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

...Stern never forgot he was(is?) for years the official Disney's architect.
His work is,imo, highly despicable.
Beside Shop,Adjmi would be a great option.
(It's no surprise Walpole find Shop's work repulsive!)

Last edited by BLACK DAHLIA; June 9th, 2016 at 11:41 AM.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #6505
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

COOKFOX’s 54-Story, J&R-Replacing FiDi Tower, Revealed
http://ny.curbed.com/2016/6/9/118941...ondo-rendering

...Sounds great as it should hide the ugly Beekman something...(almost the same height)

BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #6506
Torch

Likes (Received): 1015

Please, stop this :

New Rendering Shows Restored Fašade of Midtown Church-to-Hotel Conversion
The Sam Chang-developed hotel will rise 20-stories
http://ny.curbed.com/2016/6/9/118943...rved-rendering

Quote:
The church-replacing hotel set to rise 344 West 36th Street now has its first rendering, and as promised, the developer has maintained the fašade of the historic church, and what's more he's also going to rebuild the church's parish house, the New York Post reports.

schostabur, ChuckScraperMiami#1, goyo liked this post
Torch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #6507
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

As long as it's integrated, I'm fine with it. That design is pretty meh, however.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #6508
matzek
»\_(ツ)_/» »\_(ツ)_/»

Likes (Received): 75

They should at least keep the gabled roof and use Glass & Steel for the new facade to create a bigger contrast... This "Billboard"-Thing as seen in the Rendering is ridiculous.

Even better solution: Leave it as it is.
Old June 10th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #6509
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Wow that tower is awful. Looks like an average 'bad part of town' apartment block from the late 70s.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #6510
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58015

That's not what I wanted when I longed for "at least keep the facades instead of tearing down old marvels!"

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #6511
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

It definitely sucks but considering the original plan was to tear the whole thing down it's not the worst outcome. And as bad as it is, that building is not the ugliest thing Sam Chang has put up.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #6512
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
That's not what I wanted when I longed for "at least keep the facades instead of tearing down old marvels!"
Every wish can backfire. They wanted to remind us that not every good intention turns into a Hearst Tower.

erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 06:43 AM   #6513
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

Small Update from Friday - 6/10

Manhattan
Yonkers
Metro North
Visit the New Jersey Section

erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #6514
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25213

Check Out the Manhattan Skyline in 2020! New Development Sales to Hit $8.4B This Year

Sorry, very large (but necessarily so) images

More images and graphics at 6sqft
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #6515
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

just as downtown's highrise construction spilled over to Brooklyn and Jersey City, Midtown's is spilling into Queens. This single-city highrise construction boom is unparalleled in the history of the United States.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #6516
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I'll miss the ESB's dominance over midtown but the skyline's overall growth is still exciting.
Old June 15th, 2016, 01:18 AM   #6517
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

That's a lot of buildings also city realty still seems to have a supertall on the 360 10th ave site

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #6518
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
I'll miss the ESB's dominance over midtown but the skyline's overall growth is still exciting.

..So young and already nostalgic!?...
Show must go on!!..
Old June 16th, 2016, 03:53 AM   #6519
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

See Rockefeller University's Modular Expansion As It's Lowered Into Place

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/6/15/11949...e-construction

Quote:
Rockefeller University filed permits for its hard-won expansion on top of FDR Drive in February 2015, and construction on the Rafael Vi˝oly-designed facility is now in full swing. Max Touhey photographed the site for Turner Construction last night as cranes started hoisting the first and smallest of the development’s modular components—yes! It’s modular!—into place.

The modular units are being fabricated in Keasby, New Jersey, and are then stored in Newark as they await placement at the site, which spans from about 64th to 68th streets
Old June 16th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #6520
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25213

Great! Space-starved Manhattan building over train yards and highways.

streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city