daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #721
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

aww it looks pretty good

Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #722
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
It's ok TalB kinda thinks he's the boss around here. Pay him no mind.
I never said that, so stop words in my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyman
Ha not only that but he really is a WTC killjoy.
Just b/c I am not for the FT doesn't mean that I want the WTC site to remain a memorial, I do have an alternative and that is having the Twins placed backed there with updated buildings codes.
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #723
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

well...considering the current design is NOT what you have in mind for the site. I just am saying that you cannot deny the fact that you do not support the new design. And I am totally cool with that because everybody has different tastes. Just dont ruin this for the rest of us who really are happy about it.
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #724
Duopolis
Hong Kong lover

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Omar View Post
Looks good on this render!
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #725
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

and will also look great in reality i think
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #726
Haber

Likes (Received): 0

They should replace Foster's building with another Freedom Tower
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #727
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

NY looking good! I love the Freedom tower design. I wish it could have been even taller!!

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #728
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haber View Post
You've got to be kidding, Fosters design is the best one there.
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #729
Don Omar

Foster's tower is one of the best ones on the WTC site, let alone all of lower Manhattan.

- Beastie Boys
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #730
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haber View Post
No they should replace FT with Foster's.
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #731
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

Foster's is really nice. I wish it could have been taller or in some way as imposing as the WTCs were. That's what was most significant about them. This new design will still do a lot for lower manhattan, but it has a fairly common look and lacks the badass factor. I'm happy that something has been resolved though, hopefully we can get more great designs in the future.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #732
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyman View Post
well...considering the current design is NOT what you have in mind for the site. I just am saying that you cannot deny the fact that you do not support the new design. And I am totally cool with that because everybody has different tastes. Just dont ruin this for the rest of us who really are happy about it.
Indyman, you were probably reading my posts in a mirror b/c you are mentioning it all backwards. I do not force anyone to like what they don't like. I have never even given personal attacks on FT supporters. Everytime I state a reason I do not like it and would prefer the Twins rebuilt, a number of fourmers attack me for saying this. Calling it a monument to Al Qadea is NOT an attack on anyone, just the FT. Just like everyone else, I am stating my opinions. I have nothing against anyone disagreeing with me, it is those who have directly attacked me that matters. In other words, I am not ruining anything for anybody. If anyone does not like my view on whats going on the WTC site, that's their problem, not mine.
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #733
Don Omar

ironic

- Beastie Boys
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #734
Don Omar

A Tower That Sends a Message of Anxiety, Not Ambition

By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF
Published: February 19, 2007
nytimes.com

Ground zero has gone through its own kind of war fatigue. With every step forward in the reconstruction process, New Yorkers were asked to buy into the rhetoric of renewal, only to be confronted by images that reflect a city still in a state of turmoil and delusion.

Perhaps if we close our eyes, one might wishfully imagine, it will all just go away.

But the widely anticipated announcement that Gov. Eliot Spitzer will support the construction of the Freedom Tower may signal an end to any hope that a broad vision — or even a level of sanity — can be restored to a project tainted by personal hubris and political expediency.

The most recent debate over the tower has centered narrowly on real estate values. With the developer Larry Silverstein set to build six million square feet of office space in three buildings just alongside the Freedom Tower, some have questioned whether it will be possible to lease enough of the $3 billion project at a high enough rate to make it profitable. The tower’s symbolism alone is likely to scare off tenants who will see it as a potential targets for terrorists. The suggestion that we simply pack the building with government offices is almost perversely Strangelove-ian.

Yet the problem is not simply whether enough bureaucrats can be coerced into working there one day; it’s also what the building expresses as a work of architecture. Governor Spitzer may recall the looming presence of the twin towers on the downtown skyline, at once proud and intimidating; the Freedom Tower will have an equally powerful effect on the daily lives of New Yorkers as well as on the city’s image throughout the world. Yet its message will be very different from the old towers.

Hurriedly redesigned more than a year ago after terrorism experts questioned its vulnerability to a bomb attack, the Freedom Tower, with its tapered bulk and chamfered corners, evokes a gargantuan glass obelisk. Its clumsy bloated form, remade by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, vaguely recalls the worst of postmodernist historicism. (It’s a marvel that its glass skin hasn’t been recast in granite.)

Recently cities like Paris, London and San Francisco have held major architectural competitions for towers that will reshape their skylines. All of them drew on an array of ambitious architectural talents; many of those designs pushed technological and structural limits while reimagining the skyscraper as part of a holistic urban vision.

Even in New York, which has lagged behind much of the world in its architectural ambitions over the last decade or so, projects like Norman Foster’s new Hearst Tower suggest that a higher standard is demanded in the design of our urban structures.

If built, the lamentable Freedom Tower would be a constant reminder of our loss of ambition, and our inability to produce an architecture that shows a genuine faith in America’s collective future rather than a nostalgia for a nonexistent past.

Nowhere is that failure of ambition more evident than in the tower’s base. In a society where the social contract that binds us together is fraying, the most incisive architects have found ways to create a more fluid relationship between private and public realms. The lobby of Thom Mayne’s Phare Tower in Paris, for example, is conceived as an extension of the public realm, drawing in the surrounding streetscape and tunneling deep into the ground to connect to a network of underground trains.

By comparison the Freedom Tower is conceived as a barricaded fortress. Its base, a 20-story-high windowless concrete bunker that houses the lobby as well as many of the structure’s mechanical systems, is clad in laminated glass panels to give it visual allure, but the message is the same. It speaks less of resilience and tolerance than of paranoia. It’s a building armored against an outside world that we no longer trust.

There is no reason to accept this as fate. Although construction has begun on the tower’s foundations, we are still a year or so away from the point that the building will begin to rise. The foundations could even be completed while a process is set in motion to begin rethinking the design. Meanwhile construction could begin on Mr. Silverstein’s towers to the south, which should prove much easier to lease.

Governor Spitzer of course would have to summon the will to venture into one of the most emotionally and politically charged sites in the world less than two months into his tenure. To do so he must first accept that the Freedom Tower’s message is not directed solely at real estate-obsessed New Yorkers but at the world, and that the message it’s sending now is the worst of who we are.

- Beastie Boys
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #735
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Fraid-of-em Tower
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #736
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Well it would look fine with out the spire. I think they should of made roof height to 1776ft and spire height to 2001ft.
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #737
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

higher is better
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #738
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Couldn't agree more with the article.
That darn tower just ain't good enough!
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #739
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

I agree with the article. But in reality there are contradictions taking place. On one hand people want ambitious projects, yet on the other hand, we have very powerful people who are stupid and end up hurting perception by bringing other people back to thinking whether it can be occupied b/c of its visibility. So now every time we want something badass to go up in NYC, we have so much doubt b/c of people may want to target it for an attack.

I hate the politics that this project has had, I'm not crazy about the design, but more than just this particular design, we need to push the envelope more w/ respect to designs all over the city and esp. Manhattan.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #740
Don Omar

couldn't agree more

- Beastie Boys

Tags
new york city