daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #921
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

those 2 towers above look hella cool, the area around Empire State building needs to get filled up with some supertalls, it would look real cool...
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #922
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I'm not exactly sure, but there are NO HEIGHT LIMITS!

Not official:

Anything is possible for Midtown! In a few weeks, we'll start to get info and maybe renderings and heights. There will be a plethora of supertalls by the ESB for sure!
They remind me of the twin towers with a special twist.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #923
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
One question ebola.

Should we take this project for real?????
I saw on Emporis alot of projects/towers unrealised/never built.

I am concerned that this is again nothing but hot air.

If this gets built it will be so awesome for NYCs skyline.I still hope for something in NYC over 600m.

It's definetly real. It's approved I believe and right now we are just waiting for official renderings.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #924
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

hopefully soon, can't wait
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:07 AM   #925
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

i'm so excited
Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #926
Joey313
JOEY

Likes (Received): 12

Those towers really dont look good in that area in my opinion.
Maybe one tower would kind of fit in but two. I dont know maybe its just me

If a tidal wave hits L.A just grab a fake boob for safety.
Joey313 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #927
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Not official:
That looks great! Hopefully something like that will come to fruition.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #928
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I would rather see those building on the WTC site, b/c they look like the Twins only modern rather than the FT.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #929
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The only problem I have with the NWTC is that the towers are all so different. Hopefully, they will all use the same color glass and will be lit up at night with the same colors.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #930
krull
In Time

Hotel and condo tower to rise at 839 Sixth Avenue

14-MAY-07

J. D. Carlisle Development Corporation is erecting a 44-story mixed-use tower at 839 Avenue of the Americas between 29th and 30th Streets.

The project will have a 250-room hotel operated by the Fitzpatrick Hotel Group and 320 residential condominium apartments.

Perkins Eastman is the architectural firm for the development.

The hotel will occupy the first 8 floors and long-term-stay units will occupy floors 9 through 13. The residential condominiums will occupy floors 16 through 44.

The project is seeking a special permit for an underground garage and the local community board recommended approval March 8, 2007 and the Borough President recommended approval April 5, 2007. It is also seeking permission for a plaza with an open air cafe and the community board issued a favorable recommendation February 8, 2007.

A rendering of the building indicates that the hotel portion of the project will be clad in a bronze-colored glass and the condo section of the tower will be clad in a clear glass. The tower will be distinguished by two vertical "fins" in the middle of its north and south faces.

The site was formerly occupied by a parking garage and two-story store buildings.

Perkins Eastman's other recent projects include the Cielo tower on the southwest corner of 83rd Street at York Avenue, and the Centria at 14 West 48th Street, both for J. D. Carlisle, and the Jade at 16 West 19th Street.

The project is expected to be completed in 2009.

Copyright © 1994-2007 CITY REALTY.
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #931
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

Whoooooor......shit!! Striking!!!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #932
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

great news. i guess the construction will start still this year
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #933
TalB
Refugee

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/
Africa-Israel buys Manhattan's Clock Tower for $200m

Subsidiary AFI Development has bought 3 Moscow office buildings for $243 million.

Globes' correspondent 15 May 07 15:05

Africa-Israel Investments Ltd. (TASE:AFIL; Pink Sheets:AFIVY.PK) has bought Manhattan's landmark Clock Tower on Madison Avenue for $200 million.

The Clock Tower was built in 1909 as the headquarters for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. The 213.5-meter tall 26,000-sq.m. tower facing Madison Square Park was added to the original 1893 building to make it the tallest in the world at the time. The Clock Tower was modelled after the clock tower of St. Mark's Cathedral in Venice, and its four bronze bells, sounds off Händel every fifteen minutes during the day and the evening. The interior decor comprises 14 murals by painter Newell Covers Wyeth.

The Clock Tower was declared a Landmark building in 1999.

Africa-Israel plans to invest $110 million to convert the office building into luxury apartments.

In a separate development, Africa-Israel’s Russian subsidiary, AFI Development plc (LSE:AFID) has acquired two Russian companies that own three office buildings in Moscow. AFI Development plans to renovate the properties, which cover an aggregate 116,700 sq.m. of built-up space. Renovations are due to be completed during the fourth quarter. The company also plans to apply for permits to add 70,000 sq.m. to the property, which will be developed for commercial space. The company estimates that it will invest $243 million to buy and renovate the buildings. The deal will be financed with proceeds from its IPO earlier this month.

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes.co.il - on May 15, 2007

© Copyright of Globes Publisher Itonut (1983) Ltd. 2007
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #934
krull
In Time

Yeah that is one of my favorite classic towers in NYC...

Old May 16th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #935
krull
In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
great news. i guess the construction will start still this year
Not only that but another new tower (not as tall - 37 floors) will start by the end of the year aswell. No renderings yet. This one will be located the next block north of the 839 Sixth Avenue tower. Here is the information....

$105M Loan Clears Way for 37-Story MXD

March 30, 2007

NEW YORK CITY-Tessler Developments and the Chetrit Group have purchased 855 Sixth Ave. with the help of $105.3-million loan from Fremont Investment & Loan. The property located on Sixth Avenue between 30th and 31st streets contains a couple of buildings that will be razed to make way for a 37-story mixed-use project.

Craig Lockard, VP and senior loan originator for Fremont tells GlobeSt.com that the loan covered a majority of the acquisition price for the property, but he could not reveal what percent or the total cost.

Plans for the property are currently being drawn up, with an architect now working on the drawings. Lockard tells GlobeSt.com that the new building will total 500,000 sf and will contain a base level of retail followed by 11 floors of office space and topped by 23 floors of residential units. Further details have yet to be solidified.

Lockard says construction should start by the end of this year, with the demolition of the existing buildings. As part of the deal, Lockard says Tessler and the Chetrit Group negotiated lease terminations with the existing tenants.

“The project will really invigorate the area,” Lockard says. He cites the full office market in Midtown south and the growth of residential in the area as the two key factors that will aide the success of the project. Retailers have not yet been identified but Lockard says the space is likely to be filled with a high-end tenant and not a grocer or pharmacy.

Fremont has financed six other Tessler projects including the luxury condo project at 240 Park Ave. South.

As GlobeSt.com reported, the locally based Chetrit Group recently purchased the 250-room historic Berkeley Carteret Oceanfront Hotel and Conference Center in Asbury Park, NJ for $16 million.

Copyright © 2007 ALM Properties, Inc
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #936
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

i'm always impressed from NY. can't imagine how the skyline will look in 50 years or even more
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #937
rincon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by krull View Post

Hotel and condo tower to rise at 839 Sixth Avenue

Wow that is so amazing! NYC keeps on rocking!
rincon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #938
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05152007...eve_cuozzo.htm
START-UP AT CARNEGIE SITE

EXTELL BEGINS WORK ON TOWER ON NORTH SIDE OF W. 57TH STREET

May 15, 2007 -- THE roar of jackhammers across from Carnegie Hall is sweet music to developer Gary Barnett's ears.

Barnett's prolific Extell Development Corp. has finally started work on one of the city's most-watched sites - a colossal, six-building assemblage on the north side of West 57th Street across from Carnegie Hall.

Barnett said yesterday the project will be "at least 50 stories" with "north of 500,000 square feet." Though plans aren't final, "We're looking forward to doing a five-star hotel at the base and above it, condos with Central Park views."

Extell filed demolition plans with the Buildings Department this month. The takedown has begun behind a shroud of black netting. Barnett said actual construction should start this year, even though certain aspects of the project - including choice of architect and hotel operator - have yet to be finalized.

A gratified Barnett said, "It's taken me nine years to put it together." The site includes all the buildings from 147-161 West 57th and air rights from adjacent properties.

With 150 feet of sidewalk frontage, Extell's is the largest of several building sites on the block between Sixth and Seventh avenues.The company also owns the former Hard Rock Café. Barnett said, "We're not sure yet what we'll do there - it might be offices."
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #939
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

I noticed that many or maybe most of the buildings are box-shaped but maybe I am just wrong. I guess they are trying to make sure all of the buildings are terrorist proof by putting more stronger support on it? Or they are just trying to build Classic New York Style buildings?
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #940
krull
In Time

Biggest Building Site in Manhattan Up for Auction

The city plans to begin an auction next month for the rights to build office towers, apartments and parks
over the Long Island Rail Road yards on the Far West Side.

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
May 17, 2007

It is the largest building site left in Manhattan, 26 acres on the Far West Side, where the Bloomberg administration envisions the equivalent of five Empire State Buildings rising on $1 billion worth of concrete columns over bustling railyards.

And starting next month, some of the city’s biggest developers will have a chance to bid for the rights to make that grand — some say grandiose — plan real.

“The city hasn’t done anything like this before, certainly not in Midtown,” said Daniel L. Doctoroff, deputy mayor for economic development and rebuilding. “We want to create a 21st-century Rockefeller Center.”

Known as Hudson Yards, the project is central to one of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s longstanding ambitions: to transform the heavily industrial Far West Side into the city’s third business district, after Wall Street and Midtown, with not just high-rise office and apartment towers, hotels and parks, but also an expanded Jacob K. Javits Convention Center nearby.

The challenges are daunting. Developers say it will probably cost $1 billion to build platforms over the yards for skyscrapers as tall as 70 stories, and the work must be done while Long Island Rail Road trains are running. Some residents want assurances that the development will include permanent housing for poor and working-class families. And a sharp debate is emerging over whether to tear down the northern end of the High Line, an unused railroad structure that is being converted to an elevated park south of 30th Street.

The plan, which is likely to take more than a decade to complete, calls for the construction of 12.4 million square feet of commercial, residential, recreational and cultural space over the railyards, which span 11th Avenue between 30th and 33rd Streets. It is Mr. Bloomberg’s second attempt at developing the yards: His first attempt, which involved building a $2.1 billion stadium for the Jets football team, crumbled in the face of opposition in the neighborhood and in Albany.

The city and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which owns the land, are working together to develop the railyards. The project must go through the city’s lengthy land-use review process, but unlike the plan for a football stadium, it will not require approvals in Albany.

The city and transit officials say they will begin an auction for development rights over the parcel next month, and they expect five of the city’s biggest developers to bid. They also plan to hire a contractor this summer to begin drilling work for the extension of the No. 7 subway line from Times Square to 11th Avenue and 34th Street.

“The Hudson Yards are one of the most expensive and complicated developments ever to be undertaken,” said the developer Douglas Durst.

Mr. Durst has formed a partnership with Vornado Realty Trust to bid for the property. Extell Development Company also expects to bid, as does Brookfield Properties, and Tishman Speyer Properties, which real estate executives say may have an alliance with Lehman Brothers as a tenant. Tishman Speyer declined to comment, but if such a collaboration exists, the company would immediately jump to the front of the race.

Debate over the plan has focused on two potentially conflicting demands: that the development provide public benefits, like subsidized housing, parks and other amenities, and that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority get the highest possible price for the land.

Developers insist that any requirements for affordable housing or parks will increase their costs by $100 million, reducing the price they can pay. Critics contend that the sale of public land should lead to community benefits, and that the cost of those benefits is a small price to pay for a rare commodity: land in Manhattan.

“It’s a vast undertaking, and it pitches these competing public goals against each other,” said Anna Levin, a member of Community Board 4. “I understand that the entire burden shouldn’t be placed on developers. But this is a public undertaking. There have to be public resources that can be brought to bear, otherwise this will become a gold coast that doesn’t serve the entire city.”

Although the Bloomberg administration failed to win legislative support to build the football stadium over the railyards in 2005, it did succeed in a more far-reaching goal: rezoning a wide swath of the West Side, including 45 blocks outside the railyards, for large-scale development. However, the portion of the railyards west of 11th Avenue still needs to be rezoned and to go through a public review process.

Last year, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority rebuffed the city’s offer to buy the development rights to the yards for $500 million, saying it was too little. The two sides then agreed to create a strategic development plan for the yards, which is now complete, and put them up for sale.

The winning bidder would be assured of state and city support — though not necessarily community backing — during the lengthy public review, which can be unpredictable for a developer. Last week, the city and state publicly unveiled the plan, which calls for up to 5.7 million square feet of residential and commercial development on the western portion of the yards.

Under the proposal, towers as high as 70 stories are pushed to the north and south sides of both the western and eastern yards. There is public space at the center of the eastern yard that would connect to a tree-lined boulevard that the city wants to build from 39th to 33rd Streets between 10th and 11th Avenues. The open space is designed to draw pedestrians across the western yard, to the waterfront.

One of the thorniest issues concerns the fate of the High Line, which some people want converted into a park all the way to its northern terminus inside the Hudson Yards area. The city already plans to turn the railway into a park from 30th Street south to Gansevoort Street, where the mere promise of an elevated park has helped spur a residential boomlet in west Chelsea.

But state and city officials have expressed concern that keeping the High Line inside Hudson Yards could impede the already difficult task of construction. At least one critic, Mr. Durst, said retaining the line would add $100 million to the cost of construction.

“Any additional complications will subtract from the value the M.T.A. receives, and leaving the High Line in place will have a substantial effect on that value,” Mr. Durst said.

But Friends of the High Line, an advocacy group, contends that retaining the rail structure will cost only about $800,000, with the benefits outweighing any problems.

“You don’t often have the opportunity to take a piece of the city’s industrial infrastructure and reuse it in an interesting way, to connect west Chelsea, Hudson Yards and the waterfront,” said Robert Hammond, a leader of the group. “It’ll be a great park that’ll serve the city as well as Central Park.”

At a community board meeting last week, an official with the transportation authority said for the first time that the authority supported retaining the High Line, although it also wanted to maximize revenues for rail operations. Privately, one official indicated that the authority did not want the High Line venture to cost it more than $25 million.

Elliot G. Sander, the executive director of the authority, said he was trying to work out the housing issue and had set aside land controlled by the authority outside the railyards for subsidized apartments. Officials say bidders will be asked to submit offers based on keeping or demolishing the High Line.

There are other snags in the Bloomberg administration’s plans for the Far West Side. The long-awaited expansion of the Javits Convention Center is stalled while the Spitzer administration continues its review of the $1.8 billion project, which has come under criticism from trade show producers. That, in turn, has held up plans to sell land across 11th Avenue from the Javits center, for a convention center hotel, as well as the block between the center and the western railyard.

But the administration is eager to show progress while the real estate market is hot. So officials say the request for bids on the railyards will be issued no later than early June.

“This is for the future of New York, so it’s not going to be done overnight,” said Stephen M. Ross of the Related Companies, one of the city’s most active developers. “I don’t think there’s ever been anything like this, on this scale.”

The High Line, a railway being turned into a park, is part of the debate over developing the Far West Side.

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

Tags
new york city