daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:43 PM   #161
Skid-Mark
Punctual and polite

Likes (Received): 0

That remy appears to have lost the plot! love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stourbridgebaggie View Post
this has decended into farce...
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:21 AM   #162
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/...p-354459c.html
$62M office towers are in the works

BY BILL EGBERT
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

With a new Yankee Stadium complex and a huge shopping mall set to rise in the South Bronx, a new office park on the other side of the borough is in for a growth spurt of its own.

The developer of Hutchinson Metro Center in Pelham Bay is planning to more than double the space available with two new office towers.

Tower One, a 10-story, 260,000-square-foot office block, will break ground this fall, and the project is expected to create 500 construction jobs. Plans for the second tower are still in the works. Together, The Towers at Hutchinson Metro Center will cost $62 million and add 520,000 square feet of space to the 460,000-square-foot office park.

"With a wave of new office and residential projects under way as well as plans moving ahead for a new Yankee Stadium, the Bronx economy is currently enjoying an unprecedented renaissance," said Hutchinson Metro Center developer Joseph Simone.

The $60 million first phase of development at 1200 Waters Place - the largest Class A office park in the borough - was nearly 100% leased within two years of the start of construction in 2001, making Hutchinson Metro Center one of the most successful new office projects in the New York metropolitan area.

The Visiting Nurse Service was the first to move in, in 2003. It was followed by the Internal Revenue Service, the New York City Housing Authority and the new Bronx campus of Mercy College.

Simone Development Cos. acquired the original 18.2-acre site of the decrepit Bronx Developmental Center from the state in 2001 and has expanded the site to 42.5 acres through a succession of acquisitions. The company plans to develop the entire site, creating a total of 1.8 million square feet of office space.

Although the East Bronx may sound like a remote spot for Manhattan-quality office space, Hutchinson Metro Center's location - near most of the region's major highways, including the Hutchinson River Parkway, I-95, the Bronx River Parkway, New York State Thruway and the Cross Bronx Expressway, and just a few minutes from LaGuardia Airport - makes the office park more accessible than many other parts of the city.

Hutchinson Metro Center also runs its own private shuttle bus service linking workers to city subways.

Tara Stacom of Cushman & Wakefield, which handles leasing for the office complex, said that although the first phase of development attracted mostly businesses connected with Westchester, rising Manhattan rents will make The Towers more attractive to expanding businesses priced out of midtown.

Originally published on May 22, 2006
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:26 AM   #163
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginza
I think it is great that after such a terrible experience all New Yorkers had with the Sep 11 attacks the city is getting back on track hopefully New York may once again hold the title for having the tallest building not only here in America but the world
its not that big a deal anymore.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:46 AM   #164
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Honestly it's not such a big deal to have the World's Tallest Building anymore.
Any country in the world can build a WTB, unlike in the first half of the 20th century when only two cities were competing, and NYC kept the crown for so long.
Nowadays quality and density is the word, of course height is important, but you don't need to go as far as the kilometer.
Although I still would like to see a 1km tall tower in Manhattan, but there isn't much space left
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:58 AM   #165
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

Here is something I took out of a paper today, these are those 62 million towers...

SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM   #166
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

DOWNTOWN TOWER PLAN

May 23, 2006

THE Frank Gehry-designed project that Forest City Ratner is developing on the NYU Beekman Downtown Hospital parking lot is starting to shape up.

The tower's just-revealed 876-foot height will top off as the tallest City Hall area structure - yes, taller than the nearby venerable 792-foot Woolworth Building. Nevertheless, despite earlier reports, it will be shorter than all the new buildings at ground zero.

It will be taller, however, than the 740-foot Goldman Sachs headquarters being designed by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners at the World Financial Center in Battery Park City.

Plans just refiled with the Dept. of Buildings call for a 75-story building with residences above a new public school whose funding has been in doubt.

The 1.147-million foot project is being built in the middle of the block bounded on three sides by Nassau, Beekman, Spruce and Gold Streets. For all you development junkies out there, you can follow its progress on the DOB Web site with an 8 Spruce St. address.

The most intriguing nugget is a triplex unit at the top that will become one of the highest residences in the city. While it will share part of the 72nd floor with two other units, it will encompass the entire 73rd and 74th floors as well.

You can be sure its eventual price and occupant - Bruce Ratner or not - will end up being widely reported in the coming years.

These residences will all have unobstructed views of City Hall - and should we dare to say it - likely cast shadows on the park during a brief portion of some days.

Along with lobbies for each use, the first four floors host a school cafeteria, classrooms, a gymnasium and a library.

Medical offices for the hospital next door take up the fifth floor. The sixth is reserved for mechanicals such as the elevators. But above it is a pool on a building setback on the seventh floor, along with two community rooms for 150 people each.

The midsection includes what will likely be smaller luxury rental apartments - between 17 to19 units per floor.

Starting at the 37th floor, the sprawling condos take over with eight per floor. At the 44th floor, the count changes to four apartments, plus a gym and community room - which does not really mean open to anyone but the condo community. There are five units per floor from the 49th through 70th floors, three on 71 and then two plus the bottom of that triplex on 72.

Although no renderings have been released, it is likely that the top will taper gradually and that, unlike the uptown Trump World Tower, the upper floors won't be the same size as the lower ones.

Gehry's spirited and wavy designs are slowly taking shape as buildable ones for Forest City's other huge project in Brooklyn for the Nets and Atlantic Yards.

A Forest City spokesperson was unaware of the details and had no comment.

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:32 PM   #167
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Anything in NYC will take forever to build. The recent bickering between developer Larry Silverstein and the city delayed the project for about 2 months, and now there are rumors that the city is sueing him for not progressing fast enough? By the time the Freedom Tower is finished in 2012, another building will probably surpass it. The world's current tallest building, Taipei 101, took only 4 years to build. More buildings around the world are constantly being designed and approved.The clock is ticking...
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #168
krull
In Time

Beekman Street Tower (Gehry): 876 feet - 75 floors (Proposed)

Old May 24th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #169
WestTexan87
Plattsburgh to Abilene

Likes (Received): 8

It's kinda weird...I'll have to get used to it. Though, I love the height coming to downtown.
WestTexan87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #170
Woko

Likes (Received): 0

like i said in an other thread, this tower is a shit. I hope that it will just be a proposal, than after it becomes a cancelled tower.

But i like the idea to build a new tall (without the new WTC) at lower manhattan*.

Come see Montréal's projects

Montreal's projects - U/C, Proposed, Approved

You just have to look at the first page to see them all. I update it every time there is a news.
Woko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #171
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaRaJeVo-City
Here is something I took out of a paper today, these are those 62 million towers...

The online version didn't have a rendering, which surprised me. Now that I have seen it, it looks like it belongs in an office park. Then again, Pelham Bay is a remote part of the city, so it will probably fit in. My guess is that new parking garages, lots, are incorperated parking are only disallowed in Manhattan, while the other boroughs can have them after seeing a shot of a new garage being built in the Kew Gardens sections of Queens.
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #172
krull
In Time

Proposed...

Silvercup West project (Tower 1): 588 ft - 57 floors
Silvercup West project (Tower 2): 538 ft
Silvercup West project (Tower 3): 517 ft - 49 floors

City Planning holds hearing on Silvercup West project on the East River

24-MAY-06

The City Planning Commission held a hearing today the draft environment impact statement of the large mixed-use waterfront development known as “Silvercup West,” which is also submitting eight applications for various zoning amendments, text changes, authorizations and certifications.

The project would develop about 2,100,000 “zoning” square feet on a site immediate south and adjacent to the Queensborough Bridge in Long Island City.

The impact statement indicated that project “would result in no unmitigated significant adverse impacts.”

The applicant is Terra Cotta, LLC, of which Stuart Match Suna and Alan Suna, the heads of Silvercup Studios, are the principals.

The project would erect 8 large television and film studios at its center flanked by an office tower to the north and two residential towers to the south.

The architect for the large project is the Richard Rogers Partnership of London. Lord Rogers, one of the world’s most famous “high-tech” architects, designed with Renzo Piano the famous Centre Pompidou in Paris and on his own Lloyd’s Bank in London and he was recently selected to redesign the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center and to design one of three office towers that are to be developed by Larry Silverstein at Ground Zero.

In addition to about 1,000 market-rate apartments in the two south towers, the project would have about 650,000 square feet in the office building at the north end of the site and the eight film studios in the center of the site would be about 18,000 square feet. The studios would be topped by a catering facility with sweeping views of midtown Manhattan. The project, furthermore, would have a cultural/community facility in the base of the office tower of 126,401 square feet, 77,000 square feet of retail space and 1,400 parking spaces.

The tallest residential tower would be 588 feet high, although Stuart Suna told the commission today that the Federal Aviation Agency had authorized a building height at this location of up to 600 feet. (The finials of the elegant Queensborough Bridge are about 354 feet high.) Lord Rogers told the project’s design relates to the “language” of the “fantastic” Queensborough Bridge, adding that office tower’s setbacks were designed to respect the ornate towers of the nearby bridge. Some speakers at the hearing, however, suggested that the project’s mass competes strongly with the bridge. After the hearing, Lord Rogers told CityRealty.Com that the size of the office building was determined in large part by the perceived market need for large floor sizes.

The project would restore the New York Architectural Terra Cotta Company building, and provide considerable public open space. Silvercup Studio’s main facility is located in the former Silvercup Bakery Company building that is about half a mile east of the 6-acre, “Silvercup West” site.

Commissioner Camilla Battaglia asked Alan Suna what provisions were being made to include “affordable housing” in the development. Mr. Suna said that while “we’re basically big supporters of affordable housing, it is not economic for this project,” which he emphasized was private, not public. Commissioner Battaglia did not retreat, however, and suggested that the developers seek out subsidies.

Under questioning, Mr. Suna said off-site possibilities for such housing was being researched.

“That’s far less than perfect,” Commissioner Battaglia retorted, adding that she would like to see something specific in writing before the July 18 deadline for the commission to vote on the proposal.

At one point during the hearing, Amanda Burden, the chairman of the City Planning Commission, said that “we’re all very eager to get this built.”

Joel Shapiro, the well-known sculptor, told the commission that it should be careful to ensure that the project does not “homogenize both sides of the river.”

Copyright © 1994-2006 CITY REALTY
Old May 25th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #173
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 4

I like the whole silvercup project and i really hope it goes through
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #174
Dancer

Likes (Received): 253

WOW! I love it. Nice work Krull. NYC isn’t going to look anything like it did when I moved to Seattle. NYC is the greatest city in the world. Keep it going.
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #175
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

MAY 27, 2006 by me!

Old May 28th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #176
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Chelsea Landmark
May 27, 2006 by me.

Last edited by SaRaJeVo-City; May 29th, 2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #177
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Old May 28th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #178
treboy

Likes (Received): 3

Wow Amazing

How can you possibly dig up collection of these construction projects going on in NYC.? it's wild

Last edited by treboy; May 28th, 2006 at 03:41 AM.
treboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #179
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Random Buildings, I walked from 23rd to 72nd street and took some random shots.

Hearst Magazine Tower

Time Warner Building

Last edited by SaRaJeVo-City; May 29th, 2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #180
fish

Likes (Received):

Cool shots, SaRaJeVo-City!

I'll be in the city tomorrow with my new camera.

I'm going to bring my tripod with me (which I don't normally do).

Tags
new york city