daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2006, 01:06 AM   #281
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

OK, lets end it here. I can see the flaming beginning so better to just ignore and not bother posting a reply. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, if he doesn't like it then he doesn't like it.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2006, 01:08 AM   #282
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

well u wouldnt expect Dubai to have hunderds of of high rises in the middle of the jungle for example....
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 01:10 AM   #283
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw
well u wouldnt expect Dubai to have hunderds of of high rises in the middle of the jungle for example....

I think you've missed my point...
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 01:16 AM   #284
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw
I think he was talking about the fact that the towers are all aranged in a line and right behind them looks like a desert.

Doesn't matter since this whole area is getting developed anyway with DIFC.
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:35 AM   #285
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

i think it rather has to do with the fact he does not know what is actually happening in Dubai.

it is not about proving yourself.

and i am sure smussuw understood what he meant to say ...
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 03:06 AM   #286
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Sorry malec, but I'm fed up of people who call fake and tacky everything newer and fancier then the pile of, mediocre, run-down, falling to pieces, shiat they're used to see.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 03:43 AM   #287
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
Sorry malec, but I'm fed up of people who call fake and tacky everything newer and fancier then the pile of, mediocre, run-down, falling to pieces, shiat they're used to see.

Ha! What you just said is 10X worse than the brief shot I took at Dubai. Now who's trolling, troll?

I have a great understanding of what's happening in Dubai, but truly I cannot stomach it. It's not because I have a bias against the middle east or anything (I fell the asme way about Las Vegas, for example), but I just think that place is so...gross. But would be marvelous to see for a day or two, just to marvel at how I don't want to live there.

I guess I have to give the oil-rich and corrupt middle eastern oligarchies some credit. They have turned once poor countries into thriving economic centers. But they have done it in such poor taste, I'm sorry to say.

OK Dubai, we get it, you're rich! You don't have build 4000 mega scrapers to prove it! MMMMMMMMKAY?
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:06 AM   #288
Principes
To Engineer is Human

Likes (Received): 0

Awsome update, keep the photos coming.

P.
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:16 AM   #289
Toronto06
New Yorker in TO

Likes (Received): 5

its ok

not really a fan of dubai high-rises

very very random looking buildings
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:18 AM   #290
Principes
To Engineer is Human

i Think thats an overstatement, what exactly do u meam by random.?
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:30 AM   #291
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

How about we all stop since it's pointless arguing against something stupid like "I don't like tower X", etc. It's people's opinions and there's nothing much people can do to change them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf
OK Dubai, we get it, you're rich! You don't have build 4000 mega scrapers to prove it! MMMMMMMMKAY?
This statement is wrong though and here's why. Barring burj dubai, most of the supertowers (ie, over 1000ft) are getting built by private developers so it's not actually Dubai that builds them.

If NYC decided to let developers build towers to an unlimited height in a few designated areas (with no chance of any nimby ever getting a chance to shoot it down) then I whether a few 1000 footers would pop up there aswell.
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:34 AM   #292
Principes
To Engineer is Human

LOL
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:57 AM   #293
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec

This statement is wrong though and here's why. Barring burj dubai, most of the supertowers (ie, over 1000ft) are getting built by private developers so it's not actually Dubai that builds them.

If NYC decided to let developers build towers to an unlimited height in a few designated areas (with no chance of any nimby ever getting a chance to shoot it down) then I whether a few 1000 footers would pop up there aswell.
Good point, but the city of Dubai still has to approve these buildings. And in so doing it has opened its doors to the development masses and said "Here ya go boys, do your worst!" And, in my opinion, they have.

But like I said, the same could be said for Las Vegas, a tacky, ostentatious and poorly planned new city in the desert.

New york cannot be compared to Dubai at all. in New York, an established city with miles of urban development and logical infrastructure surrounding it, skyscrapers are a necessity and are much more compatible with the overall landscape. In Dubai, a city of less than 2 million people, the tax haven created that engendered these mega developments will prove to be a huge folly in the coming years.
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:17 AM   #294
Toronto06
New Yorker in TO

Quote:
New york cannot be compared to Dubai at all. in New York, an established city with miles of urban development and logical infrastructure surrounding it, skyscrapers are a necessity and are much more compatible with the overall landscape. In Dubai, a city of less than 2 million people, the tax haven created that engendered these mega developments will prove to be a huge folly in the coming years.
yupp

nyc is the GOLDEN example of a modern world class city

they have high rises because its NEEDED

dubai has high rises to prove something...that they are rich or to show off or soemthing

anybody know the vacancy rate in Dubai?

and can anybody answer WHY there are so many buildings in dubai, a city half the size of toronto (population-wise)? it cant all be for commerce or tourism........anybody know the real reason?
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM   #295
Krazy
Kool Kat

when did this thread turn into a dubai bashing thread? well guess what.. that's what trolls do... spoil threads with off-topic bitching that puts off everyone and only attracts more trolls.. doesnt matter if uve been on this site for 10 years.. doesnt make u any less a troll if u keep posting crap like this.

This isn't a thread for you all to increase your post counts by stupid endless arguments... please focus on the topic which is the tower itself!
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:40 AM   #296
Toronto06
New Yorker in TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy
when did this thread turn into a dubai bashing thread? well guess what.. that's what trolls do... spoil threads with off-topic bitching that puts off everyone and only attracts more trolls.. doesnt matter if uve been on this site for 10 years.. doesnt make u any less a troll if u keep posting crap like this.

This isn't a thread for you all to increase your post counts by stupid endless arguments... please focus on the topic which is the tower itself!
wtf? nobodys bashing dubai

i was asking questions about dubai

.........why is there so much developmenT?
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM   #297
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

I happen to think the tower itself is very nice.

The last thing I'll say about Dubai is something I've been trying to say in the last few posts. But why should I say it when the great and eternal forumer Rainer Meadows can? And much more eloquently, I might add.

"Many skylines and neighborhoods are ruined by the designer who looks up rather then around!" - - Rainier Meadows

I'm all for Dubai being a modern, progressive city, but it seems the people who are behind the development have lost sight of the importance this idea.

Last edited by Fiddlerontheruf; July 1st, 2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old July 1st, 2006, 11:04 AM   #298
italy
abbia ogni cosa !

Dubai is in first place fast growing city!!!
italy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM   #299
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

sorry but some guys here just don't have na idea what they are talking about.

and i am really pissed by those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto06

they have high rises because its NEEDED

dubai has high rises to prove something...that they are rich or to show off or soemthing

Dubai's towers/projects/palm etc , average let's say 300 apt per tower were usually sold out not within months, weeks, or days but even within hours!

of course this has slightly slowdowned in the past two years, but still there is massive demand!!

tell me any other city where they have to implent a 15% rents cap per year, so that people can afford to rent an apartment?

there is not much vacancy, of course a lot of the apartments are used for holiday lets or as holiday home.

but they are not just built like that.

it is not Dubai buildings those.

they are developed by private developers, and guess what, they want to make money and the STILL keep announcing more and more projects.

so there must be demand?!

Quote:
Good point, but the city of Dubai still has to approve these buildings. And in so doing it has opened its doors to the development masses and said "Here ya go boys, do your worst!" And, in my opinion, they have.
1st) way should they stand in the way of development?

2nd) what is so bad?
--------------

look at this (totally random) article:

Demand for short term rental increases 1,000 per cent

Better Homes, the leading property company in the Middle East, has seen its short term rental service grow by 400 per cent to accommodate the exponential growth in this sector.

The company has recorded a ten-fold surge in demand in just eight months since the launch of this new business division. The innovative concept was pioneered by Better Homes in September last year whereby property owners can lease their apartments and villas for a short duration based on clients' specific requirements.

Amina Harris, Short Term Rentals Manager at Better Homes explained, 'With the constant over demand for hotel accommodation coupled with soaring room rates, short term rentals offer the perfect alternative. Under this scheme, we provide ready-to-live-in properties in key locations at reasonable prices. We are currently running at 82 per cent occupancy.'

'This summer, we anticipate a high demand from various market segments. 60 per cent of our clients are corporate executives, consultants, company visitors, while the remaining comprises holiday visitors and families relocating.'

Harris pointed out that the hotspot locations for short term rentals at this time were those that provided easy access to Sheikh Zayed Road such as the Greens, Dubai Marina and Emirates Hills. 'We also foresee a demand in the new areas once these are partially complete such as Burj Dubai area, the Palm Jumeirah and Dubailand. Visitors pouring into Dubai throughout the year are constantly looking for a picturesque property close to the heart of Dubai. Short term rentals offer them a mix of business convenience and a flavour of Middle Eastern hospitality.'

Harris added: 'Under the short-term rental scheme, we extended an attractive proposition to landlords to include maintenance, advertising, promotion, reports and even guest's transportation are arranged by Better Homes. In addition, we also provide consultancy in several areas including furnishing, decorating and even insurance.'

'Successfully developing a hospitality segment within our key services means we have utilize our core competencies in the market; the key lies in providing quality property services coupled with cost effective prices,' said Harris. 'The objective is to maintain the high level of service that Better Homes is renowned for.'

Harris is upbeat about the sustained growth of Short-term Rentals in the region and Better Homes is poised to take on the challenges of this sector by investing in staff and technology.

'Dubai is not what it used to be at one time when during summers one expected an exodus. Spurred by the massive developments in real estate, Dubai's growing economy has created thriving activity across all sectors. Our division has been busy ever since it started eight months ago and we are gearing up to meet the increase in demand during the summer holidays and beyond. When people travel they want everything taken care of; our Short-term Rentals service does this but offers the guest an independence that they can't get in hotels and at a far more attractive price.'
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM   #300
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo

1st) way should they stand in the way of development?

2nd) what is so bad?
--------------

Why? Maybe for ALL the reasons I listed above.