daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:13 PM   #301
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
 
malec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 9,598
Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf
Why? Maybe for ALL the reasons I listed above.
The thing is, you haven't actually given any reasons for why you think this. All you've said is you think the place is gross, tacky, etc but haven't actually explained why you think so. I can think of a few possibly reasons but I want to hear it from you because I actually think that skyline is shaping up quite nicely and in the future will be way different to the strip you see now.

BTW, just in case you didn't know those towers are not in the city centre.

Anyway, what suggestions would you give?
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM   #302
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

If people have nothing to say about the tower's construction, better gt the f... out of here.

There have been enough bashing threads already.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:33 PM   #303
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 662
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
The thing is, you haven't actually given any reasons for why you think this. All you've said is you think the place is gross, tacky, etc but haven't actually explained why you think so. I can think of a few possibly reasons but I want to hear it from you because I actually think that skyline is shaping up quite nicely and in the future will be way different to the strip you see now.

BTW, just in case you didn't know those towers are not in the city centre.

Anyway, what suggestions would you give?

Ummm...


1) It's not compatable with the surroundings to build massive high rises like this. It looks foolish, tacky and poorly designed. The developers are clearly in it to make a quick buck and not concerned with the overall asthetics of the area.

2) It is foolish to build 7 or 8 of the world tallest buildings in a city smaller than mine (which is not that big)

3) It just LOOKS horrible to see out of place 500m+ buildings built within 100 meters of undeveloped desert.

4) It will prove to be a huge mistake when the boom ends. I don't care how big of a tourist attraction or business draw it is, no city of that size can sustain that amount of high rises for very long. Not even Vegas. Mark my words.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:50 PM   #304
luv2bebrown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Unknown
Posts: 1,882
Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerontheruf
Ummm...

4) It will prove to be a huge mistake when the boom ends. I don't care how big of a tourist attraction or business draw it is, no city of that size can sustain that amount of high rises for very long. Not even Vegas. Mark my words.
thats what people have been saying for the past 20 years. yet Dubai's boom is 40 years old now and is showing no signs of slowing. with 150,000-200,000 people moving to the city each year, and with rent spiralling out of control due to a massive undersupply of residential units, i'd say dubai badly needs MORE towers. in 2000, the population was around 1,000,000. in 6 years, the population has increased to 1.7million (2.5million dxb-sharjah metro?). within the next 5 years, the population will increase to around 2.5 million. if towers arent built where do you expect those people to live? in caves? in the sea?

last i heard, milwaukee's city population was around 600,000. if dubai expects an 800,000 population increase in the next 5 years, it has to build more housing units in the next 5 years than are in existence in the entire city of milwaukee. think of all the housing units in milwaukee... and now you can understand the need for such massive construction in dubai.

Last edited by luv2bebrown; July 1st, 2006 at 07:55 PM.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM   #305
Peter the [email protected]
Forza Calcionistica
 
Peter the gre@t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Barquisimeto
Posts: 3,093
Likes (Received): 112

me too
__________________
Not Around
Peter the gre@t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:26 PM   #306
Hani
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 30
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
thats what people have been saying for the past 20 years. yet Dubai's boom is 40 years old now and is showing no signs of slowing. with 150,000-200,000 people moving to the city each year, and with rent spiralling out of control due to a massive undersupply of residential units, i'd say dubai badly needs MORE towers. in 2000, the population was around 1,000,000. in 6 years, the population has increased to 1.7million (2.5million dxb-sharjah metro?). within the next 5 years, the population will increase to around 2.5 million. if towers arent built where do you expect those people to live? in caves? in the sea?

last i heard, milwaukee's city population was around 600,000. if dubai expects an 800,000 population increase in the next 5 years, it has to build more housing units in the next 5 years than are in existence in the entire city of milwaukee. think of all the housing units in milwaukee... and now you can understand the need for such massive construction in dubai.
Sorry to say, but for u to say that Dubai's boom is 40 years old is dead wrong. I mean, Cairo and Beirut, well Beirut was until the war, weren't booming and look at the difference between Beirut/Cairo and Dubai. I'd say Dubai's boom is more or less 10 years old now and i've lived here most of my life.
Hani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:52 PM   #307
luv2bebrown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Unknown
Posts: 1,882
Likes (Received): 109

dubai has been booming ever since oil was discovered 40 years ago my friend.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 09:27 PM   #308
Krazy
Kool Kat
 
Krazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,557
Likes (Received): 35

Fiddlerontheruf please stop your rubbish and guys please dont respond. For god's sakes dont spoil another Dubai construction updates thread with this gibberish... open up a "I wanna know why Dubai builds highrises" thread in Skybar if u have to but **** off from here
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 09:34 PM   #309
DARKNIGHT
Dreamin of Dubai
 
DARKNIGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 156
Likes (Received): 1

I agree Krazy, this is a contruction thread on a Skyscraper website. Who cares why it's being built, and jsut enjoy the fact it is being built. I will admit, I am slowly growing concerned about the number of highrises as I think Dubai is spending a little too much and it could backfire. They are putting to many eggs into one basket as it were and it's a huge huge risk. I know all the reasons why they are doing it, I'm just not so sure it will all pan out the way they think it will. But anyways that's not the point fo this thread. We should continue to just marvel at this amazing building.

By the way, anyone have any new pics?
DARKNIGHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 04:31 AM   #310
dettol
Logarithm
 
dettol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 836
Likes (Received): 7

dam.. i missed a really pointless and some what entertaining flame war...

Can we just forget the last 2 pages happened and get back to the fact that this tower in my opinion is gorgous. Its like a giant, shinny, sharpened penicil.. SO NICE!!!

New pics? :-)
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:22 AM   #311
Nadini
Registered User
 
Nadini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beirut
Posts: 5,042
Likes (Received): 542

Woooowww this tower is just amazing, whoever doesn't agree must be on..... hehe, I love this building, the height, the color, the design everything, just amazing!!
Nadini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #312
dettol
Logarithm
 
dettol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Auckland
Posts: 836
Likes (Received): 7

lol..... ok guys, time to come back and start chatting about Rose again
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #313
Marco Polo
Registered User
 
Marco Polo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N/A
Posts: 5,530

Some new photos, pls!!!!!!!!!!
Marco Polo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #314
Stephan23
Bonsai
 
Stephan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Munich
Posts: 7,299
Likes (Received): 93

What's with the top structure???
__________________
SUPER BAYERN SUPER BAYERN, HEY HEY
Stephan23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #315
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Has not yet started. There are 2 more floors (floorplates) to be constructed, till they reach the top of the central core.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #316
SNT1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 314
Likes (Received): 12

Im impressed at how fast it rose... (no pun intended) but I dont like its skinniness, but thats just me.... to Dubai
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #317
melkor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 5

Taken two days ago:



melkor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #318
Shad
Sup ?
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE | Woodbridge, USA
Posts: 298
Likes (Received): 6

its tall...!
Shad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #319
OtAkAw
BUMMED
 
OtAkAw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Makati
Posts: 2,484
Likes (Received): 530

I will be the happiest person on Earth if Dubai gave one of its planned supertalls to my city!
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #320
Nongkhai_tong
Tong
 
Nongkhai_tong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Udon Thani - Nongkhai - Bangkok - Singapore
Posts: 3,280
Likes (Received): 38

almost complete
Nongkhai_tong no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu