daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #1921
european
Registered User
 
european's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,510
Likes (Received): 25

lol haha, honey you could've come up with something better than that and anyways don't be surprised when the arabs lock you or your wife up for the most obsurred reason we'll see who will be crying back to vienna then, dubai is a city which was built on greed and money and look what happened? this is my last post on this thread and i am not intrested in what you or anyone else has to say thats my opinion about dubai.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1922
boyerling3
Registered User
 
boyerling3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 146
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by european View Post
this is my last post on this thread.

Thank goodness!
boyerling3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #1923
boschb
boschb
 
boschb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Langley(Vancouver) BC
Posts: 716
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by european View Post
lol haha, honey you could've come up with something better than that and anyways don't be surprised when the arabs lock you or your wife up for the most obsurred reason we'll see who will be crying back to vienna then, dubai is a city which was built on greed and money and look what happened? this is my last post on this thread and i am not intrested in what you or anyone else has to say thats my opinion about dubai.
dude your a fag
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #1924
other page
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 146
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boschb View Post
dude your a fag
How old are you?

While european's posts were certainly inflammatory, only a 12 year old would retort with a statement like that.
other page no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #1925
boss-ton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 370
Likes (Received): 185

i dont agree 100% with european but until dubai proves otherwise hes basically correct, but its too early to tell right now.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #1926
PrincessTower
Tallest Block Resident
 
PrincessTower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dubai (davor Schland)
Posts: 1,674
Likes (Received): 83

If somebody thinks the Arabs are "low minded", does this imply we Europeans are considered high minded? Not only a racists comment, but also narrow minded and certainly not worth sharing.

Let's not forget how much of western culture actually emerged from the Arab and Persian world some time ago. In the meantime, climate on the Arab peninsula did not exactly allow such a speedy development of modern cities as it did in other places, which has relatively recently become possible through trade, petro dollars, and tourism.

Can we now return to discussing and appreciating tall buildings like the Index?!
PrincessTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1927
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
i dont agree 100% with european but until dubai proves otherwise hes basically correct, but its too early to tell right now.
And you learn that by reading Yahoo and YouTube comments, right?
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #1928
roogenial
In da gym
 
roogenial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 10,691
Likes (Received): 2291

I love Dubai but this skyscraper is pretty ugly.
roogenial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #1929
parsonsnose
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 512
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
And you learn that by reading Yahoo and YouTube comments, right?
The comment he was referring to stated that Dubai was built on money and greed. Are you seriously arguing that it wasn't?
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #1930
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,346
Likes (Received): 8243

can we talk about skyscrapers instead of a sensive topic like that?
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #1931
parsonsnose
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 512
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
can we talk about skyscrapers instead of a sensive topic like that?
Why should that be sensitive?

I doubt that there is a decent skyline anywhere that wasn't built on money and greed.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1932
DG
Emirian Lady
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dubai/Paris
Posts: 996
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by european View Post
the arabs might have built the tallest buildings but still are really low minded people
clear racist comment and still no ban!!!
DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1933
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,319
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by european View Post
lol haha, honey you could've come up with something better than that and anyways don't be surprised when the arabs lock you or your wife up for the most obsurred reason we'll see who will be crying back to vienna then, London is a city which was built on greed and money and look what happened? this is my last post on this thread and i am not intrested in what you or anyone else has to say thats my opinion about London.
Make sense this way round also,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsnose View Post
The comment he was referring to stated that Dubai was built on money and greed. Are you seriously arguing that it wasn't?
Which city isn't,, just been in London,, MONEY - GREED a plenty

Hey,, maybe look up capitalism on wiki.

Also compairing Cities is not allowed on SSC, but hey, what do I know..

P.S Index is a Marmite tower,, love it or hate it,, it exists..

It was designed by a person from Machester, maybe why some of you think it looks so bad..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_...of_Thames_Bank
__________________
If you're interested in photography, find me here at
500px

Last edited by 234sale; December 29th, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #1934
parsonsnose
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 512
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Which city isn't,, just been in London,, MONEY - GREED a plenty
Perhaps you missed this.

Quote:
Why should that be sensitive?

I doubt that there is a decent skyline anywhere that wasn't built on money and greed.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #1935
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,319
Likes (Received): 24

So whats your point, also plently of skyscrapers existed before the boom on Sheikh Zayed Road..
__________________
If you're interested in photography, find me here at
500px
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1936
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,346
Likes (Received): 8243

i still see dubai as a playground for architects. everything is possible and if you wanna try something crazy, go to dubai. no judging or comparing is needed. especially with the knowledge that those intense buildings, whether it is the idea of a building that can turn with the sun or building a kilometer high tower, if they get build or not still keep dreams alive and help in architectural science.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1937
234sale
Registered User
 
234sale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dubai/Brighton
Posts: 8,319
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
i still see dubai as a playground for architects. everything is possible and if you wanna try something crazy, go to dubai. no judging or comparing is needed. especially with the knowledge that those intense buildings, whether it is the idea of a building that can turn with the sun or building a kilometer high tower, if they get build or not still keep dreams alive and help in architectural science.
Knowing Architects, Working with and for developers, the crazy days are gone.

Those crazy projects will be shelved,, even stuff that has been designed and started has been value engineered to increase usable area and reduce costs.
__________________
If you're interested in photography, find me here at
500px
234sale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #1938
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,346
Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post
Knowing Architects, Working with and for developers, the crazy days are gone.

Those crazy projects will be shelved,, even stuff that has been designed and started has been value engineered to increase usable area and reduce costs.
yeah it was all spread in the news when the bubble of dubai bursted after the financial crisis. but crazy days are always in our memories and we still can see it. But by time Dubai will recover too. Maybe they will not have a boom again they had. And i think after those buildings are finished (and a lot may even stay unfinished) Dubai will grow "slowlier" like a normal city.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #1939
darioperu
Registered User
 
darioperu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LIMA
Posts: 3,819
Likes (Received): 88

Me encanta, la vista de la ciudad con esas torres es expectacular.
__________________
.



HILO: LIMA DAMERO DE PIZARRO O LIMA CUADRADA:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...954252&page=16
darioperu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #1940
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,346
Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by darioperu View Post
Me encanta, la vista de la ciudad con esas torres es expectacular.
english please
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
dubai

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu