daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #81
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor
What is a URL?
The link for your saved image on the web!
something like below:
http://www.zhengzhou.gov.cn/adminsys...5052444627.jpg

copy the above url link by following the image post instruction that I show you for your next post. Lets see!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #82
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

You know what...

You know what, I think that won't work because I'll only be stealing pictures from Nemo (Dutch forumer). I think it would be easier for you to check out his thread ***********Port Of Rotterdam*********** thread in the maritime sub-forum of the Infrastructure and Mobility Forums.

I'm really sorry for the trouble. But here are the posts you should see:

Post # 5 (go to the 15th pic)
Post # 48 (5th pic--see the diagram...there is the pointer/arrow that says that these coal is being transported via freight trains [Fully Automated Train Station].

Feel free to explore the rest of the thread and you'll see that Rotterdam port should have a large freight infrastructure to move all those cargoes (TEUs, Coal, Petrochemicals, Refined Petroleum, etc.) throughout Europe.
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #83
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

^
Ok, that works too!
I will link some related pics of Rotterdam rail yards for everyone to see here, thanks!
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #84
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62893

Rotterdam is not as big in railtransport as some of the other European harbours. This is mostly beacause of the river Rhine which provides a lock-free inland route to far into Germany. Also the Dutch railnet is heavily used by passenger trains, the get priority over freight trains. Kijfhoek yard, the main (only) shunting yard of the Netherlands has only got a capacity of 2.800 wagons per day.

In 2003 only 9,5% of containers from/to Rotterdam were transported by rail, (road: 59,2, inland shipping: 31,3), Rail was the only modality that grew. I don't have precise statistics for other goods, but with bulk goods (Coal & Ore) shipping is a lot bigger than rail. Oil is mostly transported by pipeline, petrochemical products by road.

But their is good news, next year (after years of delays) the new Betuweroute freight-only line will be opened, running from Kijfhoek to the German Boarder. Freight trains can run without hinder from passenger trains to Emmerich in Germany.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #85
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by momochan
Rotterdam is not as big in railtransport as some of the other European harbours. This is mostly beacause of the river Rhine which provides a lock-free inland route to far into Germany. Also the Dutch railnet is heavily used by passenger trains, the get priority over freight trains. Kijfhoek yard, the main (only) shunting yard of the Netherlands has only got a capacity of 2.800 wagons per day.

In 2003 only 9,5% of containers from/to Rotterdam were transported by rail, (road: 59,2, inland shipping: 31,3), Rail was the only modality that grew. I don't have precise statistics for other goods, but with bulk goods (Coal & Ore) shipping is a lot bigger than rail. Oil is mostly transported by pipeline, petrochemical products by road.

But their is good news, next year (after years of delays) the new Betuweroute freight-only line will be opened, running from Kijfhoek to the German Boarder. Freight trains can run without hinder from passenger trains to Emmerich in Germany.
Thanks momochan for explaining Rotterdam rail infrastructure. I would say that Chicago is the other way around, as its passenger rail based on most of already establish freight rail network and most of them have been sharing the same routes/yard/tracks for so long and have been creating so much inefficiency, which causing our Chicago transportation officials to come up ways to seperate our freight away from passenger. If you have read some of the articles posted earlier by me, you should know that the freight traffic in Chicago is already reached bottleneck all over the city and the traffics are expecting to double within next few years. We also have some good news and one of them being the proposal of CREATE program(also posted earlier) which update some yards with better traffic flow technologies...anyway, it is necessary and not require for chicago to transform some of its yards to handle the projected traffic.

Eventho, Rotterdam isn't as big in freight rail, but I still love to see some of its largest rail yard...in this case like other smaller cities like Hamburg, Jinang, and North Pallete!
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #86
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

The Nation's Busiest Rail Hub

Only gateway where all six Class-One North American railroads can interchange traffic

50% of U.S. rail freight passes through Chicago's rail yards

500 freight trains and 37,500 carloads of rail freight leave Chicago each day
(i.e., 2.5+ million tons)

Chicago is the world's largest intermodal container handler after Hong Kong and Singapore

Intermodal Container Handler

Location Twenty-foot Equivalent Units (2001)
Hong Kong 17,800,000
Singapore 15,520,000
Chicago 12,329,000
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #87
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv
The Nation's Busiest Rail Hub

Only gateway where all six Class-One North American railroads can interchange traffic

50% of U.S. rail freight passes through Chicago's rail yards

500 freight trains and 37,500 carloads of rail freight leave Chicago each day
(i.e., 2.5+ million tons)

Chicago is the world's largest intermodal container handler after Hong Kong and Singapore

Intermodal Container Handler

Location Twenty-foot Equivalent Units (2001)
Hong Kong 17,800,000
Singapore 15,520,000
Chicago 12,329,000
Yep, I read this before as which city is the largest intermodal container hub in the world. For HK being one of the busiest port, it is without a doubt that its intermodal is #1. Don't forget, eventho Chicago is inland only serving the lake and conjuction with mississippi river, it still handle lots of intermodal due to our heavy rail traffic!
BTW, intermodal is just one part of freight industry!

Last edited by ChicagoSkyline; April 28th, 2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #88
dmu

Likes (Received): 0

Twin stack container trains

Could anybody tell me whether twin stack container trains also run on electric locomotives anywhere?
dmu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #89
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62893

Yes, in China. I just found a link to this pictures a while back. I can't see a locomotive but they are under a wire.

found here:
http://locopage.fotopic.net/
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #90
dmu

Nice pictures. But still does not show whether it is an electric loco or a diesel loco under wire.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #91
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:

Yes, in China. I just found a link to this pictures a while back. I can't see a locomotive but they are under a wire.

found here:
Nice pics but that's more of a container train.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #92
dmu

Double stack containers in largest ports?

does the railway carry double stack containers trains to & from the largest container ports, like HK, Singapore, Busan, Shanghai ...
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #93
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmu
does the railway carry double stack containers trains to & from the largest container ports, like HK, Singapore, Busan, Shanghai ...
For HK, no!

Old May 9th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #94
dmu

The double stack container train. Note the diesel AC400CW locomotive also running between the stacks ...

Last edited by dmu; May 9th, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #95
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmu

The double stack container train in Beijing, China. Note the diesel AC400CW locomotive also running between the stacks ...
Oh yean and I believe the train came from Canada!

Old May 9th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #96
dmu

the train is in canada.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #97
HeMo

Without out doubt Chicago is the rail-freight capital of North America, and also a fierce bottleneck, because of it's lack of a central marshalling yard. Transit times for east <-> west traffic are pretty bad.

To name Europe's freight capital is difficult because the European railwork is ana malgation of national rail networks. Hamburg surely is a major freight node (Rottrdam was layed out for truck traffic, only now the plans for an "iron Rhine" freight line to Gemrany to compete with Hamburg are in the stage of realisation), but I don't think Europe has one distinct freight hub like the US have with Chicago.
Large marshalling yards exist in a lot of places, but with point to point traffic gaining importance, their role is dereasing.
HeMo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #98
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11125

A yard in Milan (a little part of it )

[img]http://i3.************/wlx8uo.jpg[/img]
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #99
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline

Is Zhengzhou an industrial city? It does look like the one in Beijin! Nice find null!
Zhengzhou is an important rail center for northern China--kind of like Chicago, I think, but more of a crossroads than a destination. When I traveled in China a few years ago, I had to go to Zhengzhou to find an open seat on a train to Urumqi, in Xinjiang Province. Zhengzhou's new railstation is huge, and there were thousands of people camped outside waiting for their trains. Amazing sight!
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:27 PM   #100
dmu

Double decker container trains in China

Quote:

found here:
Looks more like 4'3" (1.3 m) half-height containers (used for heavy loads), one on top another. Compare with this: