daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 03:52 PM   #121
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor
I would assume that the on beside Midway Regional Airport would be bigger considering that it is actually two railyards nit together to form one colossal railyard.

By the way, how many railyrads are the in Greater Chicago?

Chicago is, indeed, th freigt-rail capital of the world. But, again, watch out for the rapidly growing Chinese cities. I would presume that, considering the geographical similarities and, consequently, rail network patterns in terms of railyard design between the United States and China, Chinese cities would be a serious contenders to host ultra-large railyards. I mean, look at those Beijing and Zhenzhou railyards...their gargantuan but not yet colossal. Colossal railyards are only located in the United States, still.
Hey Cebuano, I think that you are quite right! The one by Midway airport actually has 3 railyards nit seperately and I think that it could be the biggest in Chicago metro.
As far as number of railyars for greater Chicago, you will find out in the first page of the thread. I think at least 8.
Yea, China is another up and comer that has very similar geographical landscape, but due to most of their railyard situated near coastal region, it wouldn't have the impact like chicago which is spread out like a web! Couple of reports said that Chicago's railyards are in bottleneck which causing for more expansion and plans. So I think that Chicago is likely to remain as world's freight rail capital in some time!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM   #122
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ ChicagoSkyline

Well, maybe. But, let me point out that not all of these Chinese railyards are located in the prosperous eastern coast of China.

Xi'an, it so happens, is located similarly inland as Chicago is away from the Northeastern Seaboard of the United States. And, since I assume that what makes Chicago a freight rail capital of the United States and eventually the world is that it is a the crossroads of almost all agricultural (i.e. farmlands, wheat fields, etc.) areas [why else would America's largest mercantile exchange be located in Chicago] of the contigous United States. Xi'an could have the potential have a similar niche for China as Chicago does for the United States.

Given this premise, and the fact that China produces more agricultural products in terms of volume than any other country in the world, Xi'an could be a very, very serious contender of taking the crown from Chicago.

Just my thought.

Cheers
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #123
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Well, maybe. But, let me point out that not all of these Chinese railyards are located in the prosperous eastern coast of China.

Xi'an, it so happens, is located similarly inland as Chicago is away from the Northeastern Seaboard of the United States. And, since I assume that what makes Chicago a freight rail capital of the United States and eventually the world is that it is a the crossroads of almost all agricultural (i.e. farmlands, wheat fields, etc.) areas [why else would America's largest mercantile exchange be located in Chicago] of the contigous United States. Xi'an could have the potential have a similar niche for China as Chicago does for the United States.

Given this premise, and the fact that China produces more agricultural products in terms of volume than any other country in the world, Xi'an could be a very, very serious contender of taking the crown from Chicago.

Just my thought.

Cheers

Yes, Chicago's freight volume by rail does moving tons of argricultural goods for being in the crossroad of argricultural region, but don't forget, it is location nearly crossroad of everywhere in NA! America is the world's biggest spender and consumer so consumer products are just another one big movers for Chicago freight, btw don't forget that industrial rust belt are from Chicago-Gary to Cleveland, so you can expect tremendous industrial goods and materials are being process here in chicago or being transfer! So don't forget that Chicago's extensive freight rail network are already established before 1900 and that it is continue to being add year after year due to the extreme bottlenecks.
China does have same niches like Chicago, but I don't think that it will be as extensive like one city of Chicago which will handle nearly 80% of freight rail traffic for the nation! Due to China's over developed costal cities, its rail network are more of north to south! Chicago's freight rail network consumes nearly all directions, north from Canada, east from eastern US, South from Mexico and west from west coast. So there really is no limitation on the traffic that it will have!
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #124
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ ChicagoSkyline

Anyway, as long as United States and China develops, it's okay with me. hehe But we'll just wait and see

Cheers
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #125
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ ChicagoSkyline

Oh by the way, I honestly think that Chi-Pitts Megalopolis (the megalopolis formed by Chicago and its adjacent Great Lakes cities--Can you name them? I happen to have little geographical knowledge over that area of the United States) is a larger megalopolis than the North-east Corridor Megalopolis formed by Boston-New York-Philadelphia-Washington D.C.-Baltimore.

I even have the reason to believe that Chicago seems to be a bigger city than New York in terms of infrastructure physical-wise after seing all those mega-rail yards and that massive aviation facility, Chicago O'Hare International Airport.

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; August 8th, 2006 at 01:33 PM.
The Cebuano Exultor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #126
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Oh by the way, I honestly think that Chi-Pitts Megaqlopolis (the megalopolis formed by Chicago and its adjacent Great Lakes cities--Can you name them?I happen to have little geographical knowledge over that area of the United States) is a larger megalopolis than the North-east Corridor Megalopolis formed by Boston-New York-Philadelphia-Washington D.C.-Baltimore.

I even have the reason to believe that Chicago seems to be a bigger city than New York in terms of infrastructure physical-wise after seing all those mega-rail yards and that massive aviation facility, Chicago O'Hare International Airport.
Yes, Chicago is slowly become a megapolis with bunch of other manicipal cities like Milwaukee, Gary, bunch of other Indiana cities(Indianapolis), bunch of Michigan cities(Detroi) and of course bunch of Ohio cities(Cleveland) or any cities that are near Lake Michigan are consider under the belt of Chicago Metrapolis belt or rust belt(industrial in pre 2000s),Chicago is steadily become more of transportation hub and warehousing hub for industrial related sector. It is the US heavy industrial region which is like what China is doing in most of its cities! Chicago is obviously the best location and city to be call major hub for all goods due to its extensive railroad, ship canal, lake harbour and highway infrastructures!
I wouldn't say that rust belt is larger than NE corridor tho, considering the population of NE are much more concentrated and well developed! Here in the rust belt, I would say nearly 40-50% are occupying by either railroad yards, tracks, highways, industrial parks than residential area sprawl of NE!
Chicago is definitely a very large metro and its industrial related infrastructures which I think would probabily be the best in NA due to its location like crossroads for its aviation, railroad, and ships!
I will leave you to yet another railroad yard so what near o'hare, I drove by this one and see the chicago skyline on the I-294 toward O'hare everytime, I always like when I drive thru the highway bridge over it, it is stunning!
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:42 PM   #127
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ ChicagoSkyline

What I meant when I said "larger" is that it is larger in terms of the overall extent. Using a nighttime map of the United States shows you that Chi-Pitts Megalopolis sprawls and encompasses a far larger extent of land mass than does the Northeastern Corridor. Yes, the NE Corridor is larger in population, denser in population, and larger in GDP (with US$ 2.5 trillion compared to Chi-Pitts US$ 2.3 trillion) but it's infrastructure (transportation, industrial) is smaller in scale. As you may know, industrial infrastructure is hell more massive in physical scale and size than residential, commercial or financial infrastructure...if you know what I mean.
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #128
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
What I meant when I said "larger" is that it is larger in terms of the overall extent. Using a nighttime map of the United States shows you that Chi-Pitts Megalopolis sprawls and encompasses a far larger extent of land mass than does the Northeastern Corridor. Yes, the NE Corridor is larger in population, denser in population, and larger in GDP (with US$ 2.5 trillion compared to Chi-Pitts US$ 2.3 trillion) but it's infrastructure (transportation, industrial) is smaller in scale. As you may know, industrial infrastructure is hell more massive in physical scale and size than residential, commercial or financial infrastructure...if you know what I mean.
Oh, yea, if you meant the infrastructures like particularly in industrial then yes, Chi-Pitts, defnitely is larger and well formed than NE Corridor.
BTW, You not happen to have a nitetime satellite shot of US, or some sort of light pollution satellite pix? I remembered that I saw it somewhere and see that Chicago region to Pitts defnitely have some of the highest light pollution in US and NE Corridor also are very polluted but more of spread out along the coast!
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #129
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ ChicagoSkyline

Sorry, I happen not to have that map [pollution-levels map]. But, I have a
nighttime satellite map of the world. The only problem is that I don't know how to post pics. Anyway, you can check it out in Googlemaps Nighttime.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #130
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry, I happen not to have that map [pollution-levels map]. But, I have a
nighttime satellite map of the world. The only problem is that I don't know how to post pics. Anyway, you can check it out in Googlemaps Nighttime.
What, are you serious???
Use, [img]put url link in between tags like this[/img]

No prob!
Some sneak previews....
Anyway, here is what US looks like at nite during 1998

Last edited by ChicagoSkyline; August 19th, 2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #131
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ ChicagoSkyline

Why are there different versions of the pollutions-level map?

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; August 10th, 2006 at 06:01 AM.
The Cebuano Exultor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #132
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Why are theredifferent versions of the pollutions-level map?
they all came from different source for different times, just to get a general idea on how US nite sky looks like from space with all these light pollution in major metros!
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #133
AmherstMan
Levend Mijn Leven

Likes (Received): 0

Believe it, Buffalo still has cargo rail.

Rail traffic is going to increase because an ethanol plant is opening.

Last edited by AmherstMan; August 10th, 2006 at 06:46 AM.
AmherstMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #134
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

were you talking about largest sea ports or largest railway hub?
oliver999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #135
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver999
were you talking about largest sea ports or largest railway hub?
Are u refering to Amerstman?
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #136
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Chicago's early freight rail traffics was within DT area!
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #137
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Old August 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #138
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Bedford park freight railyard: Talking about jam pack freight trafficking!

Last edited by ChicagoSkyline; August 20th, 2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old August 20th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #139
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Some other ones:

Old August 20th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #140
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

1938 Aerial Photograph Collection of major Chicago railyard!

Proviso Yard:

Bensenville Yard

Cicero and Hawthorn Yards

Bedford clearing yard

Corwith Yard