daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #161
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Hmm ... seems like Chicago discussion is shutting down here. Sorry if I posted inappropriately ... it is still Christmas in America.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2006, 05:03 AM   #162
jonnytwo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
I acknowledge that Chicago is at least one of the greatest freight rail centres in the world ... now I have a question to ask Chicago Rail freight enthusiasts.

Recently I got into Google Earth (and quickly burnt up half my monthly broadband quota within a few hours), substantially by following railway lines around the south & west of Chicago.

In the course of this, I came across a railway yard, oriented E-W, surrounded by hundreds of white trucking or shipping containers. since I live close to the Port of Melbourne, this was no surprise to me, since within a k or two of me, there are thousands of similar containers stacked 4 to 5 high. This port acts asa hub for Southern Australia, and I understand that most shippiing containers arrive in Adelaide by rail from Melbourne, rather than being unloaded directly at that port.

But to get back to Chicago: these containers appeared to be stacked just one high (Google Earth is good enough for me to judge that), moreover, they were not stacked neatly and in parallel, but as if they had been backed in and dropped there, within ten or so degrees of their neighbours. These containers were oriented east-west. From the look of the image, after this, the original access tracks (roads) have been filled with containers dropped north-south, again, rather haphazardly. Particularly conspicuous south of the railway yard.

OK, despite the fact I've overshot my quota, I had another quick look: it's at 41 49 08 62 north, 87 40 27 63 west. Someone please tell me ... why are these containers lying around in such a state of apparent abandonment around what looks like a functioning railway yard? Most of them you couldn't get out without moving half a dozen others.

Also, to the east of here there is a railway easement which seems to run almost to the shores of Lake Michigan, except that there appear to be bridges removed and quite large trees growing along the roadbed ... what's going on?

ps. ... I'm an Aussie with a house or two ... I'm not looking for a container to live in
Thanks for comment on this thread, seems like you are definitely a freight rail fan, so I will take time to talk to you!
You can actually see "how high the containers are stacking up vertically from space?", wow, that is impressive, but from a local view here, yes, chicago DO have tons of empty containers lying and stacking around 2 to 3 top from bottom! Most of them are near the major freight rail yard so when they run into shortage of em, they can have the freight truck load it up for the road! I would have to say that Chicago fright rail yard is definitely currently running in the scary bottleneck condition eventho, you have witness some of monstrous and humungous railroad yards cities has ever have in the world! One thing that we have plenty here is open land, so to build such huge railroad yards is no biggie for the windy city!
I can't tell you the exact location of it based on your google point, if you can enclude a pic of it here that would be nice!
Otherwise, happy new year to you mate from Chicago!

I leave you to yet another rail yard near O'hare int. airport:
image hosted on flickr
jonnytwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 05:28 AM   #163
jonnytwo
BANNED

Huge one near the corner!
image hosted on flickr
jonnytwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM   #164
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline View Post
Yes, Chicago's freight volume by rail does moving tons of argricultural goods for being in the crossroad of argricultural region, but don't forget, it is location nearly crossroad of everywhere in NA! America is the world's biggest spender and consumer so consumer products are just another one big movers for Chicago freight, btw don't forget that industrial rust belt are from Chicago-Gary to Cleveland, so you can expect tremendous industrial goods and materials are being process here in chicago or being transfer! So don't forget that Chicago's extensive freight rail network are already established before 1900 and that it is continue to being add year after year due to the extreme bottlenecks.
China does have same niches like Chicago, but I don't think that it will be as extensive like one city of Chicago which will handle nearly 80% of freight rail traffic for the nation! Due to China's over developed costal cities, its rail network are more of north to south! Chicago's freight rail network consumes nearly all directions, north from Canada, east from eastern US, South from Mexico and west from west coast. So there really is no limitation on the traffic that it will have!
train are not like trucks, train mainly transports human bings \coal\agriculture\mine, etc. chinese west eara has enomous human bings \coal\agriculture\mine resources, and east eara needs those resources, so there is great traspotation amount between west and east, not south and north.

but, chinese railway building is far behind road transpotations, money cant assure you load your goods on the train, sometimes you have to wait for long time.

that's my analysis
Old January 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM   #165
Kenwen
Mosher "K"

Likes (Received): 131

i agree, if we talkin about food or coal chinese train will at least transport 3-4times of us one, but not sure any chinese city would be carry as much good as chicago
Kenwen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #166
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1019

OLD pix

Zhengzhou

Ji'nan

Beijing

null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #167
Griffith

freight station in Slovenia, Ljubljana

Griffith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #168
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Doesn't anyone CARE about the Freight Capital of the world any more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
I acknowledge that Chicago is at least one of the greatest freight rail centres in the world ... now I have a question to ask Chicago Rail freight enthusiasts.

Recently I got into Google Earth (and quickly burnt up half my monthly broadband quota within a few hours), substantially by following railway lines around the south & west of Chicago.

In the course of this, I came across a railway yard, oriented E-W, surrounded by hundreds of white trucking or shipping containers. since I live close to the Port of Melbourne, this was no surprise to me, since within a k or two of me, there are thousands of similar containers stacked 4 to 5 high. This port acts asa hub for Southern Australia, and I understand that most shippiing containers arrive in Adelaide by rail from Melbourne, rather than being unloaded directly at that port.

But to get back to Chicago: these containers appeared to be stacked just one high (Google Earth is good enough for me to judge that), moreover, they were not stacked neatly and in parallel, but as if they had been backed in and dropped there, within ten or so degrees of their neighbours. These containers were oriented east-west. From the look of the image, after this, the original access tracks (roads) have been filled with containers dropped north-south, again, rather haphazardly. Particularly conspicuous south of the railway yard.

OK, despite the fact I've overshot my quota, I had another quick look: it's at 41 49 08 62 north, 87 40 27 63 west. Someone please tell me ... why are these containers lying around in such a state of apparent abandonment around what looks like a functioning railway yard? Most of them you couldn't get out without moving half a dozen others.

Also, to the east of here there is a railway easement which seems to run almost to the shores of Lake Michigan, except that there appear to be bridges removed and quite large trees growing along the roadbed ... what's going on?

ps. ... I'm an Aussie with a house or two ... I'm not looking for a container to live in
Apologies for the delay. I was really out of touch from the Internet for close to a month, and when i got back I had to have eye surgery anyway.

Anyway, the question I asked a month ago in this thread still doesn't seem to have been answered, because Chicago freight seems like the the kiss of death here, but I"ll risk sticking my lip out a little ...

YES, you can stack shipping containers 5 or 6 high, it's done regularly around here. YOu can gauge the height of a stack of a containers from their sahadows ... etcetera.

Now, I did give co-ordinates previously, and I acknowledge the copyright of Google (and there are many google images on this site) but what is this? (it's in Chicago, the yard I was asking about).

A local yard here: for storing and marshalling, rather than loading (Tottenham):

Part of the main yard in town (Dynon)

more of it:

Old January 1st, 2008, 01:44 AM   #169
NittanyBLUE2002
JoePa4Eva

Likes (Received): 4

Interesting thread.

Welcome To The Whitehouse

the biggest house in college football
NittanyBLUE2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM   #170
AEvolution

Likes (Received): 148

Kijfhoek, near Rotterdam. With 43 tracks the largest freight station in The Netherlands.

AEvolution no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #171
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Dynon Yard, Melbourne, Australia:

Another view:

The City end of Dynon Yard:

Tottenham "Gravitational" Yard, Melbourne Australia:

I grew up at the end of the red arrow.

mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by Yardmaster; February 29th, 2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #172
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Marshalling yard in south Budapest
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #173
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Union Pacific Railroad's Bailey Yard
1249 North Homestead Rd, NE , North Platte,, Nebraska 69101 USA

The new Golden Spike Tower and Visitor Center will allow you to see the massive Union Pacific Railroad's Bailey Yard which is the largest railroad classification yard in the world! This massive space covers 2,850 acres, reaching a total length of eight miles.

Just imagine how you would handle 10,000 railroad cars every 24 hours. That is the job that is done by the Bailey Yard. 3,000 of these cars are sorted daily in the yard?s eastward and westwards yards, nicknamed "hump" yards. How do they possibly do that?? Well, using a mound cresting 35 feet for eastbound trains and 20/1 feet for those heading west, these two hump yards allow four cars a minute to roll gently into any of the 114 "bowl" tracks where they become part of trains headed to all the destinations.

The eighth floor observations deck of the Golden Spike Tower and Visitor Center gives you a panoramic view of all that is happening at the Yard. You reach the top of the tower by an elevator. When you arrive at the top you can use the coin-operated binoculars (or bring your own) while standing in the enclosed area to see all that is going on. The seventh floor observation deck is open to the air allowing you to hear the diesel engines roar and the box cars clan as they come together to make a new train on the bowl tracks.

Robi_damian liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2015, 06:03 AM   #174
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

LOL, i found this thread,actually most of the freight in Chinese trains are coal and steel,not containers,there are some super huge yard in Zhengzhou,Bejing,Hudong,Qinghuangdao,Shenyang,Wuhan.Shanghai is even not on the list
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #175
Avangard-55

Likes (Received): 3899

I don't know what's the capital, but i read some time ago, that the busiest freight railway-track is the transsib between Omsk and Novosibirsk.
Old August 18th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #176
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Northtown Yard, Midway Subdivision, BNSF
Columbia Heights, MN, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by achybo View Post

KingNick liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote