daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 110 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:57 AM   #4541
pixiepie

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepie View Post
I've had to submit a complaint about this, suggest you do the same. I boarded to bus the other day (around 9am) and tried to buy an M60 Firstday. The driver told me his machine wouldn't issue one so "there must be some sort of restriction on that ticket". I pointed out the only restriction was the M60 boundary and we were well inside it and that there was no time restriction. His response was "I just drive the buses, you'll have to talk to First about it". So I had the choice of buying a full fat Firstday or getting off the bus. Brilliant.

Let's see if they bother to respond to my complaint/ educate their drivers/ fix their machines/ refund my 60p.

Oh and this happened on a 36.
Speedy response from First (I complained on Wednesday):

Quote:
Good morning XXX XXX,

Please accept our apologies for one of our drivers wrongly advising you regarding the M60 Zone ticket.

I can confirm you are eligible to purchase the M60 Zone ticket on route 36 in the area you were boarding and also at any time of day.

All our drivers have been briefed and trained on the issuing of the new promotional tickets and are receiving on-going training throughout the promotion. I am sorry that on this occasion the drivers' lack of knowledge has caused you some inconvenience.

I will forward you a First All Day ticket in the post giving you free travel within Greater Manchester for one day as a gesture of good will. Please accept this with my compliments.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards

First in Manchester
Website Team
pixiepie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM   #4542
SF07

Likes (Received): 168

Some bus services changes listed in the documents for TfGMC meeting on 4 January (all scheduled or proposed for 28 January unless stated):
  • 12/25/26 (First) - Services re-routed to serve Salford Shopping Centre (services detour in from Pendleton Church roundabout and back out the same way)
  • 17 (JPT) - All journeys withdrawn apart from one schoolday journey from Cardinal Langley school from 6 January 2013
  • 41 (Finglands) - Daytime service increased to every 10 mins between Manchester and Sale (replacing the 41X journeys to/from Northenden), while the commercial Mon-Sat evening journeys (Manchester-Sale) are to be withdrawn. Tendered journeys between Manchester and Altrincham continue from 7 January 2013
  • 42 (Finglands) - Monday-Saturday daytime service reduced. Evening and Sunday journeys withdrawn from 7 January 2013
  • 71/73 (Arriva) - Services to terminate at Whitehead Road in Clifton instead of at Clifton Junction
  • 92/93/94 (First) - 94 withdrawn and replaced by service 92 to provide additional Monday-Saturday daytime service via Pilsworth. 93 to be re-routed back to Whitefield Morrisons (pre-July change) during the daytime.
  • 99 (Stagecoach) - The schoolday journey at 0845 from Princess Road/Whitchurch Road is to be withdrawn. Replacement journey recommended by TfGM
  • 100 (First) - All journeys that currently terminate at Irlam will be extended to Cadishead, The Vista (A57 roundabout near Cheshire/GM border).
  • 105 (Stagecoach) - Service to be re-routed via Cambridge Street, Boundary Lane and Greenheys Lane instead of Albion Street, Medlock Street and top of Princess Road
  • 126 (SLT) - Mon-Sat daytime service between Leigh and Trafford Centre to be reduced to hourly. Weekday daytime journeys extended from Leigh to Horwich via 516 route (half-hourly between Leigh and Horwich).
  • 130 (Arriva/GHA) - Sunday service to be operated by GHA Coaches from 6 January 2013
  • 300 (SLT) - Weekday journeys at 1505 and 1605 from Bolton and 1535 to Bolton are withdrawn
  • 390 (Stagecoach) - Due to withdrawal of funding from Cheshire East CC, service will be curtailed to run between Stockport and Hazel Grove. Service may also be re-routed between the two destinations. Poynton, Woodford and Bramhall no longer served.
  • 435 (Rossendalebus) - Service proposed to be withdrawn. Replacement tender being seeked by TfGM
  • 440 (Rossendalebus) - Weekday daytime commercial service to be withdrawn, while Saturday tendered service recommended to be withdrawn too. Service to be covered by services 448/449 and 463. Evening/Sunday service to continue.
  • 448/449 (Rossendalebus) - Additional weekday morning journeys on service 448 and additional weekday afternoon journeys on service 449, to partly replace service 440.
  • 463 (Rossendalebus) - Service to be re-routed via Rochdale Infirmary, partly replacing service 440
  • 512/513 (First) - Contract between TfGM and First to be terminated by mutual agreement. As services continue to suffer reliability issues, service by replacement operator will have new timetable, while services are re-routed between Farnworth and Bolton. Service 512 will be re-routed via 22/36 route via Bradford Road and Nelson Street and no longer serve Farnworth train station. Service 513 will be re-routed via 8/37 route direct via Manchester Road. Additional 513 journeys from Bury to Farnworth at 1805 (Sats) or 1820 (M-F). TfGM hybrid vehicles will be passed on from First to replacement operator
  • 516/517 (SLT) - Commercial weekday daytime journeys withdrawn and replaced by service 126. Possible changes to tendered Saturday daytime journeys
  • 516/584 (First) - In conjunction with 512/513, First's contract will be terminated by mutual agreement. Replacement operator to be announced and vehicles passed on to new operator.
  • 538 (Arriva) - The 1816 Mon-Sat journey from Bolton and weekday journeys at 1508, 1538 and 1838 are to be withdrawn
  • 581 (SLT) - Service reduced to half-hourly and no longer serves New Hall Farm (covered by services 683/684) and Hag Fold (covered by service 681). TfGM looking to keep the service running through New Hall Farm on 6-month trial.
  • 680 (Maytree) - New Mon-Sat daytime service introduced, running hourly between Leigh and Shakerley via Parsonage Retail Park and Atherton
  • 714 (Maytree) - Service to be re-routed via Westhoughton and Wingates and extended from Blackrod to Aspull. Service will run along 715 route between Bolton and Westhoughton then via 516 route to Middlebrook, continue via current route to Blackrod then along 575 route to Aspull.
  • 715 (Arriva) - The 1720 journey from Bolton and 1755 journey from Wigan are to be withdrawn

http://www.transportforgreatermanche...4_january_2013
SF07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #4543
flange

Likes (Received): 577

Quote:
Salford Crescent £12m improvements begin

A new £12m refurbishment project is due to start at a railway station in Greater Manchester.

The scheme, at Salford Crescent railway station, is designed to improve chronic overcrowding on the platforms.

Steel piles will be driven into the Manchester end of the station to provide support for a new ticket office, footbridge and staircase that will be in use by early 2014.

The work starts at 22:00 GMT and continues until 29 December.

Network Rail said the improvement works would create more space for passengers and includes a lift to make the station fully accessible for wheelchairs.

During the works there will be a limited train service on some routes through Salford Crescent, with a replacement bus service on the Manchester Victoria to Bolton and Manchester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate via Atherton routes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-20836860
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4544
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Likes (Received): 1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
All latest news about Salford Crescent engineering work and train service that affected can be found on Northernrail website.

http://www.northernrail.org/news/7169

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/
r02bapurdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #4545
WatcherZero

Its been going on for weeks, theyve pretty much finished the floor of the new ticket office.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4546
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Likes (Received): 1420

news about Bus and Metrolink service next Monday night (New Year eve)

Quote:
Plan ahead and catch a Nightbus on New Year’s Eve

People out on the town or working into the early hours on New Year’s Eve will be able to catch a nightbus home after Transport for Greater Manchester agreed to fund some services until 4am.

The late night buses – which complement bus operators’ own services and usually run on Friday and Saturday nights – will be on the road into the early hours next Monday night (31 December).

While there will be fewer buses from early evening onwards on New Year’s Eve, 16 late night services will run from Manchester city centre along major corridors, with a further seven services running from Wigan.

Metrolink will also run a later service, with trams on all routes past midnight. Final trams from Piccadilly Gardens will run to:

•Bury and Altrincham at 0051 hrs
•MediaCityUK and Eccles at 0035 hrs
•St Werburgh's Road at 0027 hrs (change at Cornbrook)
•Shaw and Crompton at 0027 hrs (change at Victoria for 0035 hrs tram)

Michael Renshaw, TfGM’s Bus and Rail Director, said: "Getting home in the early hours on New Year’s Eve can be a challenge, with taxis in high demand, and it’s always best to be on the safe side and plan ahead.

"Nightbuses have been running on many routes for over a decade now, and are well established as a safe, cheap and reliable way of getting home. Many routes will be running until 4am so I’d encourage people to check in advance and see if it’s a good way for them to get home.

"People heading home a little earlier can catch the tram, with services running past midnight on all routes."

Nightbuses will run from Piccadilly Gardens on the following routes:
  • 8 (to Bolton via Farnworth)
  • 17 (to Rochdale via Middleton)
  • 39 (to Leigh via Tyldesley)
  • 43 (to Manchester Airport)
  • 67 (to Peel Green or Cadishead via Eccles)
  • 82 (to Oldham or Lees)
  • 86 (to Chorlton)
  • 135 ( to Bury)
  • 142 (to East Didsbury)
  • 143 (to West Didsbury)
  • 192 (to Hazel Grove via Stockport)
  • 201 (to Hyde)
  • 203 (to Stockport via Reddish)
  • 216 & 219 (to Ashton)
  • 256 (to Flixton).

In addition, the following services will run from Wigan, North Western Station:
  • 598 (to Hindley and Leigh)
  • 600 (to Ashton, Golborne and Platt Bridge)
  • 628 (to Marsh Green and Kitt Green)
  • 629 (to Castle Hill and Hindley)
  • 631 & 632 (to Worsley Mesnes, Highfield Grange and Pemberton)
  • 635 (to Shevington and Standish)
  • 695 (to Orrell, Abbey Lakes and Upholland).

Special fares may apply after 8pm.

Traveline opening hours can be found in the Christmas services leaflet at www.tfgm.com/christmas. Calls from BT landlines cost 10p a minute, while other networks may charge more.
http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/media_...?articleId=120

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/
r02bapurdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #4547
WatcherZero

Total chaos today, with the line through Salford restricted and services diverted off the Atherton line and reduced services on the Bolton line with some diverts via Eccles then there was a landslide on the Liverpool-Manchester line.
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #4548
js1000

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Total chaos today, with the line through Salford restricted and services diverted off the Atherton line and reduced services on the Bolton line with some diverts via Eccles then there was a landslide on the Liverpool-Manchester line.
Pandemonium. Transpennine trains diverted onto the Styal line. A few TPE trains were cancelled at Piccadilly. Pretty much all Northern trains delayed. Congestion getting in and out of Manchester Piccadilly.
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #4549
js1000

Likes (Received): 547

Trains into Manchester Piccadilly today. Enough said!
js1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #4550
WatcherZero

Birmingham was apparently even worse, every train running 30 minutes late due to congestions.

Feel sorry for my brother, coming home from his Girlfreinds parents house in Norfolk today he had to take five trains, the train he arrived in Manchester on going to Liverpool was terminated at Oxford Road, he then got a TPE train to Bolton which he said was packed worse than the tube at rush hour, then had to change again for Wigan.
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4551
CHAPS2034
Chris W

Likes (Received): 106

Went into Manchester on the train from Cheadle Hulme at lunchtime Thursday. 2 mins late from Cheadle Hulme, Stockport and Heaton Chapel. 7 mins signal stop outside the biscuit factory and so 10 late at Levenshulme.

Arrived in Picc 13 late after a few more short stops inbound. Lots of orange jackets outside Picc and one line at least closed. Overhead wire problems I'm told.

Meanwhile there was a queue to get into Platform 14 incl a 4 coach E Midlands 158 in the platform and another waiting outside to the south. Think they were using Platform 14 for all trains as a friend of mine earlier saw a modal freighter going south through 14.

Managed to get to the pub on time though - no probs getting home at around 2200.

CW
CHAPS2034 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #4552
WatcherZero

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...d-8432744.html

Comprehensive fair listings to be made freely available next year, this means that instead of just seeing the most direct route developers could use the data to create apps that allow you to calculate the cheapest route and where to make ticket splits.
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #4553
nidave

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...d-8432744.html

Comprehensive fair listings to be made freely available next year, this means that instead of just seeing the most direct route developers could use the data to create apps that allow you to calculate the cheapest route and where to make ticket splits.
That's a badly worded paragraph: "A journey from Birmingham to Edinburgh taken yesterday, for example, would be almost £40 cheaper."
You would expect tickets for trains that had already departed would cost substantially less than the cost of it before it departs.
nidave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #4554
hulmeman2

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidave View Post
That's a badly worded paragraph: "A journey from Birmingham to Edinburgh taken yesterday, for example, would be almost £40 cheaper."
You would expect tickets for trains that had already departed would cost substantially less than the cost of it before it departs.
As is the spelling: "fare" not "fair"
hulmeman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #4555
Motortownman

Location: Salford, near Manchester as opposed to Manchester near Salford.
Likes (Received): 157

It may also stop the ripping passengers off. I bought a ticket to come back from Glasgow Central to Manchester coming back on New Years day. Price from Glasgow to Salford Crescent(which is really where i wanted to go) £62. Same trains and times to Manchester Piccadilly £24! So just get off early.

Going up even more ridiculous. Salford to Glasgow £47 Salford to Hamilton Central £62. (A single from Glasgow to Hamilton is £3.50) Manchester to Glasgow Central £36 ...so split the journey at Preston and use the same trainsat the same time is Preston to Hamilton Central £37 first class then the other daft bit. Salford Crescent to Preston £10.10 or on the same train Manchester Piccadilly to Preston £6. So just get on at Salford onto the same train.
Motortownman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #4556
VDB

Likes (Received): 1979

There was a massive court case earlier in the year where a woman got off the train early (think it was Milton Keynes instead of London?) and she got fined for it. But she opened an appeal and won the court case against the rail company.

Turns out NR tickets don't work on a "costs-more-the-further-you-go" basis, they're cheaper to the areas that most people go (I'm sure you all already knew that, sorry)
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #4557
dggar

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
There was a massive court case earlier in the year where a woman got off the train early (think it was Milton Keynes instead of London?) and she got fined for it. But she opened an appeal and won the court case against the rail company.

Turns out NR tickets don't work on a "costs-more-the-further-you-go" basis, they're cheaper to the areas that most people go (I'm sure you all already knew that, sorry)
Do you have more details concerning this case. i'd be very interested in seeing the full report.
dggar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #4558
VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dggar View Post
Do you have more details concerning this case. i'd be very interested in seeing the full report.
There's quite a few cases, here's two that I found. (apologies, the second link is to the Daily Mail)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11420790

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...inal-stop.html
Old December 30th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #4559
dggar

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
There's quite a few cases, here's two that I found. (apologies, the second link is to the Daily Mail)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11420790

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...inal-stop.html
apologies accepted for the Daily Mail. These seem to be cases of appeals to the TOCs.

I was asking about the "massive court case" where "she opened an appeal and won the court case against the rail company."
dggar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #4560
VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dggar View Post
apologies accepted for the Daily Mail. These seem to be cases of appeals to the TOCs.

I was asking about the "massive court case" where "she opened an appeal and won the court case against the rail company."
I'll try and find it for you, it's just I read it back in the summer

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: