daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area > Greater Manchester Transport Projects

Greater Manchester Transport Projects Transport Matters For Greater Manchester and Surrounding Areas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 134 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #4721
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurelink View Post
Unsurprising. I imagine the M60 ticket was pretty popular.
....and the Oldham tickets may just stop some from defecting to the (far superior but more expensive) Metrolink service.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 29th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #4722
Rail Ranger
Rail Ranger

Likes (Received): 57

Fares from Oldham

Actually in the off-peak the tram is still cheaper from Oldham to Manchester (£3.70 off-peak day return compared with £3.90 for the First Oldham day ticket).
Rail Ranger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:46 PM   #4723
SF07

Likes (Received): 168

Arrived with little fan-fare, new hybrid vehicles on the 192 route. Similar to the existing hybrids Enviro 400Es on the 42/43, 197 and 219, although the new ones have the added bonus of wi-fi. First few have been introduced today with more expected over the coming weeks.

http://mancunian1001.wordpress.com/2...the-192-route/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/8435558136/
SF07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:49 PM   #4724
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF07 View Post
Arrived with little fan-fare, new hybrid vehicles on the 192 route. Similar to the existing hybrids Enviro 400Es on the 42/43, 197 and 219, although the new ones have the added bonus of wi-fi. First few have been introduced today with more expected over the coming weeks.

http://mancunian1001.wordpress.com/2...the-192-route/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/8435558136/
I'm not too sure about the 192 special livery, I much prefer the standard stagecoach hybrid green if you know what I mean
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4725
Motortownman

Location: Salford, near Manchester as opposed to Manchester near Salford.
Likes (Received): 172

It's got a revamped timetable too. 12 entered service yesterday and the rest very soon. It's also all operated from Stockport depot now, Hyde Road not partaking...
Motortownman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4726
WatcherZero

This is something ive been keeping my eye on, you may remember last year I reported on the Wigan Hub Study on the relocation of the central bus station and the merging of the two railway stations. This report found that the two principal options 3a and 3b which involved a modernisation of North Western and the construction of several rows of bus stops at the station to create a bus spine throught the town (effectivley splitting the current bus station between the existing site and North Western with more on street pickup points in the town centre as well). 3a had a cost of £30m and a TfGM BCR of 1.9, 3b option involved moving the Wallgate platforms into North Western and cost £10m more at £40m but had the same BCR of 1.9. These options were then incorporated into option 6 which took some of the improvements and trimmed the costs down to £19m, essentially the budget option it produced a BCR of 3.4 but was only a short term fix to demand concentrating on improving the bus services rather than rail services.

I argued at the time that while 3b was a higher cost option it provided the same level of return on the investment as 3a though the report favoured the cheaper option 3a and 6.

Well about a month after it first appeared the report version 3.0 dissapeared from the Councils website. This weekend a new version has appeared, version 4.0. The most interesting thing is the 3b option while still costing £40m now has a BCR of 3.6 becoming the highest returning option. The 3B option has also been assessed as providing a Dft BCR of 5.1 again beating option 6 which was previously considered the best option by the report, (the difference in methodology is tfGM assessment assesses tangible financial benefits, Dft assesses intangible benefit to business). They appear to have raised the BCR by factoring in the other transport improvements underway in Wigan, better accounting for the improved journey times to Manchester via Chat Moss and taking onboard that TfGM likes big shiny interchanges not the cheapest budget option. To me it smacks of asking the consultants to keep producing a report until they get the answer right, however as it was the option I wanted and thought provided the best long term improvements im not complaining!

Last edited by WatcherZero; February 3rd, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4727
Nathan Dawz
Makin all KINDS of gains!

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
To me it smacks of asking the consultants to keep producing a report until they get the answer right, however as it was the option I wanted and thought provided the best long term improvements im not complaining!
Precisely! Might be a lesson to a certain individual on here about how 'experts' can fudge the figures to get the answer their paymasters want to hear.
Nathan Dawz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:58 PM   #4728
LNGCats

Likes (Received): 326

Nathan, we're waiting for you in the high speed thread to provide a link.

2+2=4 no matter what your opinion is

My favourite colour being red makes me no more or less intelligent than someone who prefers green.
LNGCats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4729
John07

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Dawz View Post
Precisely! Might be a lesson to a certain individual on here about how 'experts' can fudge the figures to get the answer their paymasters want to hear.
Which is precisely the reason why optimism bias is included in estimates at 44%.
John07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #4730
Tony_H1
was Local lad

Likes (Received): 1263

All aboard the Polar Express to Blackpool and Clitheroe

Old February 7th, 2013, 02:29 AM   #4731
boyaloud

Likes (Received): 10

Completely free travel on all GM bus companies on Sat 23rd February, just sign up at this link by the 15th and they'll post you the voucher/ticket! www.freebusday.co.uk

SF07, VDB, r02bapurdie liked this post
boyaloud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4732
WatcherZero

Update on the Stagecoach aquisitions OFT investigations.
Bluebird result expected in mid February
Wigan result expected at the end of February.

SF07 liked this post
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #4733
WatcherZero

And an update on the A6 Quality Partnership Scheme.

http://www.transportforgreatermanche...future_schemes

For the 192 WiFi on 40 buses from mid-March, new turnaround facility in Stockport to be built this year and which will improve services to the college and Stagecoach are building a 300-400 space park and ride at Hazel Grove next to The Rising Sun at the junction of Buxton Road and Macclesfield Road.

The A579 Leigh-Bolton 582 service is to be a pilot of Voluntary Partnership Agreement. Once both are up and running they will be comparing VPA and QPS to decide which to rollout en masse across the rest of the region.

As I understand it in a QPS scheme its the bus company thats legally bound to provide improvements while in a VPA its the local council who are obligated but not legally bound to. Stagecoachs QPS obligations run until 31st March 2017 while the VPA will run for five years. They decided QPS wouldnt work on the 582 route because the majority of the infrastructure was over 10 years old. One of the issues coming up with QPS is that every time they improve infrastructure they have to legally amend the agreement meaning lots of lawyers.

The five QPS that will be rolled out alongside the Bus Corridor scheme are.

A580 Frederick Road to Old Clough Lane, Salford 1
A580 Old Clough Lane to Ellenbrook, Salford 1
Rochdale Road/Manchester New Road, Manchester/Rochdale 2
Regional centre, Manchester 3
Wigan/Hindley/Atherton/Tyldesley/Leigh, Wigan 4
Oxford Road, Manchester 5
Upper Brook Street, Manchester 5
Lloyd Street / Cambridge Street, Manchester 5
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #4734
M60lad

Likes (Received): 24

Major traffic problems in Manchester yesterday caused by temporary traffic lights at Oldham Street/Dale Street junction and also the lights at junction of Rochdale Road Abdingon Street were only letting 4 vehicles at a time up Rohdale Road before changing back to red.

I was at Shudehill about 13:00 and it was utter Chaos with Buses leaving Shudehill having to wait about 3 sequence of lights before getting through and then slowly moving up Rochdale Road, I noticed quite a few buses in the end that ended up coming out of Manchester out of service due to late running
M60lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:29 PM   #4735
r02bapurdie
Andrew

Likes (Received): 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyaloud View Post
Completely free travel on all GM bus companies on Sat 23rd February, just sign up at this link by the 15th and they'll post you the voucher/ticket! www.freebusday.co.uk
This might sound stpuid question but that free bus day ticket/voucher, is that for First Manchester buses, Stagecoach buses, Bluebird buses and JPT buses?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/
r02bapurdie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #4736
SF07

Likes (Received): 168

I would guess it would be System One, so all operators
SF07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #4737
WatcherZero

Northern apparently in talks with the Dft to get some extra EMU's by 2014 to operate the south manchester services currently diesel under the wire.
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #4738
Mwmbwls

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Northern apparently in talks with the Dft to get some extra EMU's by 2014 to operate the south manchester services currently diesel under the wire.
New build or cascade?
Mwmbwls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #4739
VDB

Likes (Received): 2242

Edit
VDB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4740
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwmbwls View Post
New build or cascade?
I'd imagine it depends upon how many 319s are needed for the Valley Lines and GW suburban electrification. If the 315s displaced by 345s on Shenfield Metro aren't in a good enough condition then they'll most probably use 319s on the Valley Lines instead of 315s. If so then most probably new build for a standard fleet. On RUK rumours are saying this could be some of FCCs 377s for northern electrification

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: