daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #741
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ludovico center View Post
Here is the definitive list of top 100 busiest stations in the world and Clapham is nowhere in it (presumably because any half decent record keeper doesn't count trains that "fly by" without stopping)
Busiest by what? You failed to name the criterion by which your list is sorted and you fail to recognise that there are other scales that define the magnitude of a railway station. One of such measures is numbers of trains handled, by which Clapham Junction is the busiest in Europe regardless whether services call there or not.

Jonesy55 liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #742
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by FML View Post
That list is trying its best to be objective, though still should be taken with a grain of salt. Many countries (especially India, and even many in Europe) do not have good statistics of ridership of each stations. The list excludes stations without reliable and searchable numbers.

Nope, the unit used here is ten million (千万), so Sendai station handles 80 million passengers per year.

OK, I researched for you. The charge is free!

Amtrak + LIRR + NJ Transit: 148,732,000
Subway 123: 27,730,331
Subway ACE: 25,726,374
Total: 202,188,705

So this is 20 ten-million, possibly above Paris Nord, ranking No.24 in the list. (But then again, Paris Nord may go up when you count Metro.)

It is much more difficult to examine the ridership of Indian railway stations. I googled but could not find much data. (You can contribute if you know.)

But for a very rough image, I calculated the number for the Central station of Mumbai, another major Indian city.
The total annual ridership of commuter/metro railway network in Tokyo: 14.6 billion
Shinjuku station: 1.26 billion
So the major station has 12% ridership share among the entire network.

The total annual ridership of Mumbai Suburban Railway: 2.64 billion
2.64 x 12% = 228 million, would be "23" ten-million in the list.

I guess Howrah Station would have similar number.

So yeah, the list indeed lacks many stations. But then again, I doubt the real figures list would be extremely different. I mean, even the busiest stations in US or India are around 20 ten-million, whereas Shinjuku is 126.

Still, if you think the list "makes zero sense", you can always make better list by yourself. I would be pleased to see one.

That's 80 million.

Well the thing is, the distinction between railway and airplane is clear to everyone, whereas the distinction between "railway" and "metro" is much more arbitrary and cultural. In some cultures those two are completely different entities, while in some others (such as Japan), they are very much blended and virtually impossible or meaningless to distinguish. I mean, do you think Yamanote Line is metro, or railway?

Anyway, it is not very much persuading to accuse Japanese inability to distinguish these two, when the thread title is just "Largest and Busiest Passenger Terminals".

So I am right that the list omits half of the world. Thanks for the post, it was informative.

Edit: By the way, I realize your number for the PENN station maybe wrong I remember reading that busiest metro station in Manhattan handling more than 60 million per year. I will try to find out when I have time.

Last edited by foxmulder; December 27th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #743
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

Don't worry about it, he gets upset when China isn't #1 for everything.
I am "upset" when a "objective statistical work" omits half of the world. USA, India and China is not in the list at all dude. Use some logic, please. The list, at best, can be seen as comparison between metro+railway stations in Japan and railway stations in Europe.

Last edited by foxmulder; December 27th, 2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: phrasing
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote