daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #101
mad_nick

Likes (Received): 16

^ Atlantic Terminal has 3 island platforms along 6 tracks.
Penn Station has 21 tracks, not sure about the number of platforms (but mostly island platforms so probably 10 island platforms as well as one platforming a single track). Also, NJT plans to add 6 or 8 tracks in conjunction with the planned Trans-Hudson Express (THE) tunnel. Most tracks are through tracks, although they're served mostly by trains terminating at Penn Station. Only Amtrak runs through service.

Jamaica doesn't count, few trains terminate there.
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #102
Tintin27

Likes (Received): 56

Victoria Terminus Mumbai, Now known as Mumbai CST.. Its the main terminus of Mumbai even though there are more terminuses now handling increasing no of expresses... This station handles between 500,000 to 1,000,000 ppl /day..

From IRFCA
Tintin27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #103
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy88
Alright so Im a little confused. Are we only looking for rail lines that end at a station and do not continue forward? Or are we also counting rail platforms that continue on past the city? Either way I have a bunch to add but cant seem to find the numbers. Wikipedia is no help. Penn station in manhattan has yet to be counted and although its a bit smaller than Grand central its far busier. Grand central is only for Metro North trains to the northern suburbs. Penn handles all of Amtrak, and Long Island Rail Road and New Jersey Transit. Amtraks are through trains, LIRR and NJ Transit, its the last stop. Then you have Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn where I dont have a exact number but its about 10 rail platforms and its an end stop. Then you have Jamaica Terminal, I think it only has 8 platforms, all pass through, but handles over 1000 trains a day. Which is a lot for 8 platforms. It also is a big rail yard. So can someone clear up what you are looking for and I'll try and find these numbers
Penn certainly counts, & we've been looking for it, so give us the details! We want someone who's actually been there!

Jamaica doesn't count, because, however busy it may be, it's just a through-station. (Sorry, I've never been to the US, but I have read about Jamaica, LI ). As far as I am concerned, any little terminal stations west of the Hudson or east of Manhatten counts, but address honestly the issue of how many of NYC's 44 platforms are actually being used.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #104
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin27
Victoria Terminus Mumbai, Now known as Mumbai CST.. Its the main terminus of Mumbai even though there are more terminuses now handling increasing no of expresses... This station handles between 500,000 to 1,000,000 ppl /day..

From IRFCA
Thanks for the photo! Any more details?
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #105
mad_nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster
Penn certainly counts, & we've been looking for it, so give us the details! We want someone who's actually been there!
As I said above, Penn Station has 21 tracks, and even though it has far less tracks than Grand Central, it's by far the busier one. About 500 LIRR trains terminate and depart Penn Station / weekday. I'm not sure how many NJT trains, but probably almost a bit less than LIRR. There are also several Amtrak trains, though most don't terminate at Penn Station. I would estimate about 100-200 daily Amtrak trains pass through or terminate at Penn Station.
Quote:
Jamaica doesn't count, because, however busy it may be, it's just a through-station. (Sorry, I've never been to the US, but I have read about Jamaica, LI ). As far as I am concerned, any little terminal stations west of the Hudson or east of Manhatten counts, but address honestly the issue of how many of NYC's 44 platforms are actually being used.
I assume you're referring to Grand Central?
As far as I know, all or most of the platforms are technically in operation, though obviously many aren't used on a regular basis. (There used to be long distance trains terminating at Grand Central as well as commuter trains, but now only Metro North trains go to Grand Central.)
I couldn't find any official figures, but by looking at the schedules, I estimate about 300 trains terminate at Grand Central / weekday, and about 300 depart every weekday.
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #106
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Thanks Nick. There are legitimate reasons why Jamaica, Long Island, doesn't count, and they're the same reasons why Richmond, Victoria, Redfern, NSW, and Clapton Junction, England don't count (see above).
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #107
mad_nick

^ It's actually Jamaica, Queens, Jamaica is within city limits. But I agree, Jamaica doesn't count.

Here are the New York stations you asked for:
Grand Central - 44 platforms platforming 67 tracks
Penn Station (the vast majority of trains terminate but it's a through station for most Amtrak trains) - 21 tracks, probably 11 platforms, not sure
Hoboken Terminal (in Hoboken, NJ, served by PATH subway to the city) - don't know
Atlantic Terminal (Brooklyn) - 6 tracks platformed by 3 island platforms
Long Island City (Queens, lightly used, mostly diesels from LIRR unelectrified territory) - don't know

So the total that I know of is 61 platforms, platforming 94 tracks.
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #108
Vapour

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstar
Osaka/Umeda/Nishiumeda/Higashiumeda/Kitashinchi are all identical station. (Each railway company uses its own name, but the same place).
Thus, 33 Platforms, not 30. That's why Osaka/Umeda Stn. is usually considered Japan's largest.
Blame that one on me, I forgot to add Kitashinchi Kitashinchi has 3 platforms?

Last edited by Vapour; April 27th, 2006 at 02:30 AM.
Vapour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #109
Bitxofo
ˇViva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster
Didn't I see a very impressive image of Saragossa Station in the SSC banner? and what about Lisbon?
Zaragoza Delicias new station for normal and high speed trains is huge for a city of 660,000 inhabitants! The reason is that is in the middle of the highspeed railway line from Barcelona to Madrid.

BCN-Madrid high speed train will be running at 350kph in December of 2007, if there are no delays.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #110
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 4

Is Atlantic Terminal really that small? I thought it was much bigger. Shows you how much I know. Wiki said 8 tracks. The thing with Jamaica is that when I lived in Long Island for a while, our train always ended at Jamaica. That was the end of the Line. Then we had to change to another platform to another train to get into Penn. I would always be changing from the newer 2 story trains to the older 1 story flat ones. Thats why i mention it
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #111
Vapour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitxofo
BCN-Madrid high speed train will be running at 350kph in December of 2007, if there are no delays.
You know that's not going to happen
Old April 27th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #112
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour
You know that's not going to happen
Nay-saying killjoy u_u
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #113
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by poller1
Why don't you count the Central and North (and Luxembourg) stations for Brussels?
Only two reasons maybe the case for any of my data:
1) I simply don't know the platform count. Not living in those cities or without understanding the local language of many countries it is often hard for me to find accurate data. Without this I try to wait until someone who knows the city and station post the plaform count.

2) At this stage I have limited this to stations over ten platforms, if I find the number under ten, I have ommitted it. Other people have suggested we include terminus stations under 10 platforms and I have no problem with this - although it will make for a massive list at the end. I'm happy to start adding to the list these stations but please bear in mind the extra work this will be.

Quote:
I see for many stations you do count underground (U-bahn, underground, subway, métro...) platforms.
Very good point.

I have always tried to include all platforms at a station. If it has a direct subway/metro connection, then I try to include these. however:

1) Many people who list the station don't indicate if it includes such subway lines
2) Finding details of these extra platforms can be very difficult if I don't understand the local language.

I'm just the guy doing the work of making an updated list. We need everyone's help here to supply the correct data, a good team effort so to speak.

Quote:
Let me try to give some figures for Antwerp and Brussels (I hope the Brussels people will correct me if I'm wrong) :

UNDERGROUND PLATFORMS FOR BELGIAN STATIONS :

BRUSSELS MIDI : metro : 2 platforms
premetro : 2 platforms ;
Brings total for midi at 26 platforms.

BRUSSELS CENTRAL : metro : 2 platforms

BRUSSELS NORTH : premetro : 2 platforms

ANTWERP CENTRAL : premetro : 2 platforms ('Diamant') + 2 platforms ('Astrid') -> those from Astrid station are being connected underground to the Central train station right now. bringing Antwerp Central to 18 (after renovation).
If the Pegasus plan (opening another premetro line serving the Astrid station), this will bring at least 1 extra platform (but this is really long term...).
Many thanks! At this stage I have been trying to only include currently "operational" platforms. We should have a discussion if we are to include those under construction and maybe include a date when it is expected to be finished.
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #114
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Alright so Im a little confused. Are we only looking for rail lines that end at a station and do not continue forward? Or are we also counting rail platforms that continue on past the city? Either way I have a bunch to add but cant seem to find the numbers. Wikipedia is no help. Penn station in manhattan has yet to be counted and although its a bit smaller than Grand central its far busier. Grand central is only for Metro North trains to the northern suburbs. Penn handles all of Amtrak, and Long Island Rail Road and New Jersey Transit. Amtraks are through trains, LIRR and NJ Transit, its the last stop. Then you have Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn where I dont have a exact number but its about 10 rail platforms and its an end stop. Then you have Jamaica Terminal, I think it only has 8 platforms, all pass through, but handles over 1000 trains a day. Which is a lot for 8 platforms. It also is a big rail yard. So can someone clear up what you are looking for and I'll try and find these numbers
Ok, a few people have asked this question.

Now, I'm not making rules here but the way it looks so far is that by Terminus station, we are basically talking about the main central stations where many, but not all, trains may terminate.

Generally, the stations should be in the central core, so other large ones like Jamaica Station in NY, or Clapton Junction in London etc have not been included.

Many Terminus stations also have pass through platforms. Some may have all the platforms with pass through traffic, but it's still the terminus station for travelling to the city (an example of this maybe Köln Hauptbahnhof). But so far we have been avoiding things such as large metro/subway or commuter stations unless they are the main station in the city.

When people submit the platform count, they should list ALL platforms including those with pass through traffic or attached subway/metro/commuter/suburban platforms - as long as it's fully attached to the main station (whether being underneath or next to it with a direct entrance that doesn't require walking down the street). I really must ask people to clearly state if their figures include any such metro/subway platforms as so many people have just listed a number with no explanation.

Some stations have platforms with "dual" numbers, such as platform 2a and 2b or Platform 2North and 2South. I have been so far counting these as a single platform, but others may see it differently. I think this is one subject that should be discussed.

These are just the rules of what we have been doing so far. Any of it is open to discussion, and changes. One such thought is to also include main stations with less than 10 platforms. I am fine with this, as I believe it will become a more comprehensive list, however, it will also require a lot more work and the list will be much larger. Opinions on this please.

Finally, please don't think I have taken over this thread because of my updated lists. I have just offered to do the table work here. If I make a mistake, bare with me, as it is quite a bit of work, and I only rely on other peoples statistical input.

If you find a station missing, it's because no one has listed accurate data for it yet. I really want to include Penn station, but I have no platform count, and would like an accurate count including the subway platforms.
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #115
Vapour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
When people submit the platform count, they should list ALL platforms including those with pass through traffic or attached subway/metro/commuter/suburban platforms - as long as it's fully attached to the main station (whether being underneath or next to it with a direct entrance that doesn't require walking down the street). I really must ask people to clearly state if their figures include any such metro/subway platforms as so many people have just listed a number with no explanation.
If we only considered platforms "under the same roof", figures for Japanese stations would be ridiculously low. Large stations in Tokyo and Osaka are quite complex mixing up different companies, shopping malls in between... and sometimes, a bit of "walking down the street" is required.
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #116
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour
If we only considered platforms "under the same roof", figures for Japanese stations would be ridiculously low. Large stations in Tokyo and Osaka are quite complex mixing up different companies, shopping malls in between... and sometimes, a bit of "walking down the street" is required.
Well, I don't think they should be under one roof, as many large stations are made up of several "adjoining" stations, or with underground sections and annexes.

However, if another building seperates a station, without a direct link, or people have to actually leave and walk down the street, then surely it is a seperate station?
Old April 27th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #117
mad_nick

How do you define "platform"? Does an island platform with a track on either side count as one or two platforms?
If the latter, Penn Station has 21 platforms for commuter and long distance rail and 8 subway platforms (4 on the 7th Ave line (1,2,3) and 4 on the 8th Ave line(A,C,E)). NJT plans to add 6 or 8 platforms once they build the new Hudson tunnel.
There are 10 more subway platforms one block east that are technically connected to the station by an underground passageway, however the connection has been closed since the 80's.

Atlantic terminal has 6 commuter rail platforms and 10 subway platforms (served by the B,D,M,N,Q,R,2,3,4 and 5 trains)

And Grand Central is connected to 8 subway platforms (Lexington(4), Flushing(2) and 42nd Street Shuttle(2)) in addition to the 44 platforms used for commuter rail.

So the total including subways for Penn Station is 29 platforms, Grand Central has 52 and Atlantic terminal has a total of 16 platforms.

Grand Central: http://world.nycsubway.org/us/metronorth/gct.html
Penn Station: http://world.nycsubway.org/us/njtransit/nec.html
Old April 27th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #118
mad_nick

Quote:
Is Atlantic Terminal really that small? I thought it was much bigger. Shows you how much I know. Wiki said 8 tracks. The thing with Jamaica is that when I lived in Long Island for a while, our train always ended at Jamaica. That was the end of the Line. Then we had to change to another platform to another train to get into Penn. I would always be changing from the newer 2 story trains to the older 1 story flat ones. Thats why i mention it
Some trains terminate at Jamaica, mostly diesel push-pull trains. But far to few for it to considered a terminal.
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #119
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
So concerning Paris's railway stations, we can add:
6 platforms for "Gare St Lazare" : 2 terminus platforms of the metro line and 4 terminus platforms of the RER line (Haussmann-St Lazare)
2 platforms for "Gare d'Austerlitz" : terminus of the metro line

32: Gare St Lazare (Paris)
23: Gare d'Austerlitz (Paris) (there are also 4 underground platforms for the , but they are not terminus)

It's the same for Gare du Nord:
36: Gare du Nord (Paris) (there are also 6 underground platforms for the , and (Magenta station) but they are not terminus)

This is the at the station "Gare St Lazare". We see the number of the platform on the left: 32

There is no bumper on the tracks after the end of the platform because the trains/metros can go to the garage/workshop. Concerning the line 14 & RER E, the tracks will be connected in the future to other lines (line 13 & suburban lines)

Last edited by [email protected]; April 27th, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #120
Justme
Gotta lite?

^ cool, but I'm a bit confused over the numbers above and what I got from wikipedia. e.g. wikipedia listed Gare du Nord with 40 platforms including metro & RER.