daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Old April 24th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5283

100 Middlesex Street - "Nido" | City of London | 105m | 34

Taken from gothicform's site -
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=588

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Design For 100 Middlesex Street

24 Apr 2006

A revised planning application has gone in that substantially changes the development plans for the Rodwell House site on the eastern edge of the City of London fringe. Currently the plot at 100 Middlesex Street has a landmark 112 metre tall office building approved for it that would contain 30,000 square metres of space of 25 floors and has been designed by ORMS Architecture Design. Dumping the main use of the building, the developer now aims at the much easier to accommodate student market with only a minority of office space in the new scheme that will be a series of buildings, the tallest will rise to 105m and 34 floors.

The large difference between the number of floors on this new design and the old one compared to little change in height is caused by the lower floor to ceiling heights that residential housing requires compared to office space, thanks in part to shallower floors that don't have the need to carry the complex electronics and power uses that a top spec office block requires.
ORMS have been replaced by TP Bennett Architects but much of the design ethos remains and the new building does resemble the old ones. Main changes have included reducing the width of the building by 20% increasing the slender profile of the tower, the removal of the dominant spire for something less obtrusive, and changes to the surrounding lower buildings.

Design features include a central vertical spine emphasising height, a skirt that shows off random cladding that gently ripples, and a framing anchor displaying what the architects hope is a calm faade. The dominant colours will be light blue and silver.

The make up of the development now consists of 32,458 square metres of space for student living (1200 rooms in a mixture of different layouts), 772 sq m of residential (10 private 1 and 2 bedroom flats), and 9,011 sq m of offices of B1 use. There will be a mixture of retail and leisure uses for the lower levels along with basement parking. There will be separate entrances on different streets the building bounds on to for each use.

Private student accommodation has a proven a big hit for many investors in recent years as expansion of the higher education market continues and universities become increasingly reluctant to build their own centrally managed halls off campus due to the high amounts of initial capital needed.
This has left a big gap in the market that forwards looking businesses have been filling with some measure of success, not least because the returns are pretty much guaranteed.

If the project gets the go-ahead, which is the likely scenario given there is already a similar sized building approved for the site, construction is likely to begin in 2007 as there is no need to seek a large office pre-let.

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2
london lad

Likes (Received): 427

Prefered the old design to be honest - this ones shorter too
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3
wjfox
Save the bees!

The previous design -

Old April 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #4
wjfox
Save the bees!

My renderings here show the approximate location of the tower; you can see it between Minerva and Broadgate:-

Old April 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 237

hhmm I just want them to get on with building it...bulk up the city and then when we have a half reasonable cluster....this is just another delay

I am not concerned about losng 7 meters. The additional floors is a payoff I suppose.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #6
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2252

the managing director of the architects emailed me about 10 mins after we went to press with this one. do you guys have any questions you want to ask?
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #7
wjfox
Save the bees!

Yes - where can you find more renderings of the building?
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #8
mulattokid
BLAND

Yes, whats the timescale on this...oh hello matey !

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #9
london lad

Likes (Received): 427

Goth- ask him where he sees the area area developing over the next 10 yrs or so & if he knows of other plans for the area as its still a right shit hole around most of here.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #10
gothicform
Bossman

anything about the building???? the design? the engineering?
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #11
mulattokid
BLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform

No...I cant think of anything...only in hindsight..unless they are thinking of making it out of recycled glass bottles

Actually I am not being flippant! I would like a building of substance to be glazed in bottle ends.

(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #12
Sikario
Loopy Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

On Will's rendering it certainly brings the Broadgate Tower into the city cluster acting as a stepping stone which is a really good thing. Just think, if a few buildings are built between Broadgate and Canary Wharf, we'll have ourselves a giant cluster spanning around 5 miles.

Can't tell much from the official rendering but it does look like it has the strange cladding that seems to be all the rage at the moment, for some reason... i.e. random vertical stripes. Although I could be wrong.
Sikario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #13
mulattokid
BLAND

Quote:
Actually, yes Will is right!

Without any renderings we cant make a decision, as we all go firstly by site, so...more detailed renders please....for once I have something useful to add!

Goddnight

Freudian slip lol

Goodnight x

(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old April 25th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #14
gothicform
Bossman

read the design statement like i did
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #15
dronkula

Likes (Received): 8

Ok, this may seem a bit of a strange question, but are there actually any Uni's near that area? UEL is further out in Docklands isn't it, Greenwich and Goldsmith are in SE London and I thought all the others were more sort of West Endish/Waterloo.
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #16
Andrew

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
the managing director of the architects emailed me about 10 mins after we went to press with this one. do you guys have any questions you want to ask?
WOW, that's quick! I suspect they were already watching skyscrapernews waiting for you to put the news story up before contacting you! That's awesome!!
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #17
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1526

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronkula
Ok, this may seem a bit of a strange question, but are there actually any Uni's near that area?
London Metropolitan, formerly the London Guildhall.

Here's the New London Architecture model showing the proposal, it's to the left of Heron in the first and the top right of Minerva in the second.

DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #18
potto

Likes (Received): 1623

I want to know why they didnt go for 2 towers, this one looks horrible from the side
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #19
wjfox
Save the bees!

Will it be visible from Waterloo Bridge...?
Old April 25th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #20
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

Why isn't Willis on that model? And why is St Helens so squat?
  • -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
city, city of london, london, skyscraper