daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #261
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

I'm sure bit by bit they are ramping up resources as it doesn't make sense to have tons of money tied up in construction equipment that's doing nothing until now. Besides, as the timeframe shows, it's going to take 3 or 4 years to build the tower so progress day by day may be next to none. Keep watching though, and as long as there is progress in general, then that's good. Ebola's right however, give it a few days/weeks and we'll see where things stand.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #262
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

The tower design looks good, but its just the base that doesnt feel right.
SJM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #263
blackhawk08

Likes (Received): 0

i have counted 3 trucks, 4 jeeps and 2 people today that were at the FT site. none of them did anything but at least there was movement.
blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #264
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk08
i have counted 3 trucks, 4 jeeps and 2 people today that were at the FT site. none of them did anything but at least there was movement.
Any movement is always much better then nothing
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #265
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

It's ugly, the base particularly. Could they not have done somthing like the washinton monument fortifications to keep the safty standards without making it so unpleasent? This looks like the ministry of love...
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #266
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3401

Nothing >_<
[IMG]http://i2.************/wthve9.jpg[/IMG]

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #267
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
I presume we don't know the design for the other towers yet though.

I gather that is why they look so bland.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #268
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

I think the 2012 finish date is set for all of the towers that will be built there.
And the 1,776 full height is so it matches the year the American colonies declared independence from Britain.

"Construction of the Freedom Tower at ground zero, it turns out, started a couple of weeks ago, while the squabbling was still going on."

"It was Mr. Silverstein who let the cat out of the bag when he said that the preparatory work of relocating utility lines serving the PATH terminal had been going on for several weeks..."
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #269
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

It should be great in the end. Apparently all the towers will be good. I've heard Foster will be doing the 2nd tallest, is that true?
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #270
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
Today, nothing at all happened at Ground Zero - again. Was that groundbreaking just a fake starting just to make the public STFU!?!? Oh well. We will have to wait a few weeks to see action anyway, sez Larry.

Whoa guys, slow down. Keep in mind, this is NYC. Construction sites (unless they are public roads and bridges) do not work weekends. You are going to have to wait until Monday for the crews to come back.
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #271
fish

Likes (Received):

They are behind schedule - they should work weekends.

If not for NY, for freedom.
Old April 30th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #272
nygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKJ
Seems to have a very swfc style doesn't it?

It sure does. Comcast in philly too. I'll still take it.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #273
fish

Likes (Received):

Philly needs Comcast as much as NY needs Empire State - every city needs something.

A skyline is a signature that represents a city - no two skylines should look alike!

I'm just upset that Osama and the families of the victims want to keep the two tallest erased from NY's signature!
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #274
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

it was an all around attack, its not like he didnt like the design. hahahaha (or whoever was behind it)

i cant wait for Comcast to be done.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #275
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline
PLZ! We are not backing off,lol! Who say we did?
Don't get me wrong, but don't use that egocentric talk on this respectable project!
Yeah, the project is respectable, but one of the major points of the original design had FT being the tallest in the world, and now it might be what, seventh tallest to roof if it's lucky (Burj, SWFC, ICC, Busan, T101, Sears, FT)? Kinda lame; we had two buildings with 110 storeys and 1,362'/1,368' tall, now it's going to be one building with only 80 storeys and no taller to roof. The spire is, IMHO, meaningless: You could tie a helium balloon to a mile-long string, call it a spire, and claim it's the tallest building in the world. I agree with Scruffy; 1,776' should be ROOF height with a parapet at 1,787' (year of Constitution Writing), and there should be at least one spire going to 2,001' and maybe another going to 1,973' (year of completion) and maybe even a third going to 1,992' (year of first attack). But even those additions to height wouldn't even start to bring it close to Burj's, what, 2,500' ROOF? WTC would pale in comparison at 2,001'/1,776', let alone 1,776'/1,368'...
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:02 AM   #276
nygirl

It aint gonna be a worlds tallest and we all know it.

Old May 1st, 2006, 05:33 AM   #277
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

At least it was planned to be world's tallest. Many news sources say it will be the WTB, and so does the developer's site.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:39 AM   #278
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
At least it was planned to be world's tallest. Many news sources say it will be the WTB, and so does the developer's site.
...with this kinda progress, I fully doubt it will be! When is the finish year..2012?
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:41 AM   #279
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
no sir. at 1,776, there are a number of other towers that are taller that have been u/c, loooongg before this did. so the hype about it bein the WTB is over. unless you dont have a ssp/ssc account, which the majority doesnt, so wtf do they know?
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:42 AM   #280
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
no sir. at 1,776, there are a number of other towers that are taller that have been u/c, loooongg before this did. so the hype about it bein the WTB is over. unless you dont have a ssp/ssc account.

Actually, no other skyscraper was or would have been taller when the height of FT was first announced, years ago.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote