daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2006, 05:46 AM   #281
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish

I'm just upset that Osama and the families of the victims want to keep the two tallest erased from NY's signature!
The reason terroists succeed on their plans to destroy WTC is simple.
The flawless design of WTC-two same blocky supertalls stand right next to each other. It is greatly consider one of the densest block on earth at the time with all the governmental and financial workers around!
Think about it, if the WTC only has one tower, how many lives would have been saved, much less impacts around the ground zero? and I am doubt that Terroists would have picked it as target!

I am glad that families of the victims successfully infulenced the designers on what it takes to learn from the past! Build a FT!

Last edited by ChicagoSkyline; May 1st, 2006 at 05:57 AM.
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:02 AM   #282
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
Actually, no other skyscraper was or would have been taller when the height of FT was first announced, years ago.

keyword: years ago. thank politics for that.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:05 AM   #283
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
Today, nothing at all happened at Ground Zero - again. Was that groundbreaking just a fake starting just to make the public STFU!?!? Oh well. We will have to wait a few weeks to see action anyway, sez Larry.
Pataki has done that two years ago, so I won't be surprised if he did it again.
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM   #284
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Gosh, 500 threads on different sites, millions upon millions of posts, sooooooooo many opinions on what should or shouldn't be done....

2 years later, 5 years later....same ole, same ole...
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:31 AM   #285
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
Pataki has done that two years ago, so I won't be surprised if he did it again.

He won't because he has to leave office soon.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:34 AM   #286
BabeMagnet2000

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline
The flawless design of WTC-two same blocky supertalls stand right next to each other. It is greatly consider one of the densest block on earth at the time with all the governmental and financial workers around!
Think about it, if the WTC only has one tower, how many lives would have been saved, much less impacts around the ground zero? and I am doubt that Terroists would have picked it as target!

I am glad that families of the victims successfully infulenced the designers on what it takes to learn from the past! Build a FT!
Excellent rationale. If there was only one tower, they wouldn't have attacked at all!!

It's not like they could have taken the second plane and hit the ESB, the Chrysler, Metlife, or the United Nations!!

You're right, the two blocky towers close to each other hated our freedoms.

BabeMagnet2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:41 AM   #287
Spooky873
BANNED

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:48 AM   #288
DarkFenX
A B C

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline

You must be joking. If they were to build only 1 tower, where would the workers of the 2nd tower go? Why wouldn't the terrorist pick it as a target? A single WTC makes it an easier target since nothing will block it unlike having the 2nd tower be partially in the way. They could have also attacked ESB since it's another tall target and if it does, ESB would have collapse faster since it's not as fortified as the WTC. So how many lives will have been saved if it was 1 tower? The answer is: much less.

BOSTON - CITY OF CHAMPIONS

NE Patriots 2001 - NE Patriots 2003 - NE Patriots 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2004 - Boston Red Sox 2007 - Boston Celtics 2008 - Boston Bruins 2011 - Boston Red Sox 2013 - NE Patriots 2014
DarkFenX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:55 AM   #289
Spooky873
BANNED

we got room temperature IQs around here?
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:46 AM   #290
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFenX
You must be joking. If they were to build only 1 tower, where would the workers of the 2nd tower go? Why wouldn't the terrorist pick it as a target? A single WTC makes it an easier target since nothing will block it unlike having the 2nd tower be partially in the way. They could have also attacked ESB since it's another tall target and if it does, ESB would have collapse faster since it's not as fortified as the WTC. So how many lives will have been saved if it was 1 tower? The answer is: much less.
You really want to know the solution to that 2 bulky supertalls standing right next to each others huh!
Just take a look at the current design of FT with its surrounding shorter world trade towers, there, solve all the problems for your worker occupancy!
Don't you think that the chance of hitting the WTC dramatically increased when you have 2 towers instead of 1???
Why would Osama want to punish New yorkers when they hate our government more?
Of course they want to hit big and meanwhile grab our governments attention and also penetrade our financial.
So what big, better,faster and more horrified ways than have 2 planes each hit WTC?
Your solution is,NOWHERE else in USA that can give you this awsome impact than in the downtown NYC during RUSH HOURS where the capitalism is at its finnest....PERIOD! It isn't just shocking, the terroists knew what they were doing.

Since that this tragedy had already happened so we can't change the history but learn from it. And from the structural layout and design of FT, I think that designers has done well in part not to or ever repeat the same mistake again like the WTC!

Nothing against WTC or anything, it is such a mile stone on architecture that every Americans will never forget!

Last edited by ChicagoSkyline; May 1st, 2006 at 09:01 AM.
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:58 PM   #291
Sentinel
Centinela

Likes (Received): 11414

I just wait for this day when the construction of the main tower will start. I hope that this day all of us, fans of skyscrapers construction, will watch here a CONSTRUCTION UPDATE thread, but not one more thread about politics, religion, terrorism and so many other things that we have to read post over post when any news about the tower appears.

For me, who one day long time ago was a tourist in the top of the WTC and who cried with its destruction and all deaths, all this delay in the beggining of the new construction (now I just don't mind about new design, there's nothing I can do...) is being dissapointed...

It's time for concrete, steel, cranes and scaffolds at WTC place in this forum, SKYSCRAPERS forum.
Sentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM   #292
London
New York

Likes (Received): 0

6 years to build is a long long time. Concidering Empire state building was built in under a year.
London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:30 PM   #293
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Ok is freedom tower even an official name?
Can't we just call this thing 1 world trade?
There's already a freedom tower in miami and the name is particularly dumb.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM   #294
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFenX
Umm.. the ESB would have probably held up better than the WTC...

The ESB is one of the most stout buildings ever built..
There are rumours that it was actually "overbuilt" meaning that they used a LOT more materials than was needed to have built it.. The steel beams could have been smaller, and gotten the job done, but back in the day they had no way of calculating that accurately.

I have heard rumours that its been said in the past by engineers that it would take a 1250 mph wind to take down the ESB!! can you believe that shit?? there is no where on this planet that winds get that fast.. I heard that the WTC was strong enough to take up to a 250mph wind, in order to resist the worse case scenario hurricane..

WTC was not weak, but there were flaws in the design.. Most other buildings would have collapsed quicker than the WTC did, so it was a miracle that it stood for as long as it did.. Most people dont realize that the curtain wall on the WTC carried a LOT of load!! It wasnt just facade, its what also made it stand... very unique design..

I know it wasnt a jetliner, but in the 30's (or it could have been the 40's) a US airforce bomber crashed into the 79th floor of the ESB. It plowed into the structure, making it to the center where the elevator banks were. It actually pierced the wall of the shafts, and the aircraft motor apparently dropped down the shaft, and caused a pretty big explosion in the basement. I heard a story than another shaft was pierced, and it snapped an elevator cable, which caused someone to plummet 70 floors down in a matter of like 2-3 seconds!! I dont know how, but she ended up with broken legs and hips.. I would have thought that passenger on the lift would have been toast.. Either way, that bomber needed to plow through the facade which in this case is Indiana Limestone....

From what I heard, the building was open the next day, except of course for the damaged portion of the tower..
Old May 1st, 2006, 10:24 PM   #295
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
Ok is freedom tower even an official name?
Can't we just call this thing 1 world trade?
There's already a freedom tower in miami and the name is particularly dumb.
i said that awhile back. (statement is neither here nor there)
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:23 PM   #296
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

We can always call it the Osama Bin Laden Tower after the person who wanted the Twins destroyed, epsecially since the FT is like a monument to him.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:00 AM   #297
blackhawk08

Construction has begun!! they are building the base now! http://www.earthcam.net/users/interf...2&clientid=158
blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:26 AM   #298
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

Looks like they're just moving dirt around.
That's a great webcam. You can even zoom in / zoom out and move in 4 different directions. You can literally watch the construction every day for the next 5 years.
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:29 AM   #299
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

What I don't get is, why do they need to dig when they're already in a giant pit?
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:31 AM   #300
blackhawk08

moving dirt around is a breakthrough! plus the other great thing about that webcam is that you can go back in time to see what you missed.
blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote