daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:35 AM   #301
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Freedom Tower Construction Fact Sheet

Developer: World Trade Properties LLC (an affiliate of Silverstein Properties Inc.)
Construction Manager: Tishman Construction Corp.
Architect: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP
On April 27 at approx. 8:30am, the construction team will mobilize into the World Trade Center site, marking the beginning of construction of the Freedom Tower. The following activities will take place over the next month:
• Mobilize heavy equipment: excavators, drilling equipment, rock breaking equipment, hoe rams, backhoes, rock drills, track loaders
• Deliver and install perimeter barriers
• Survey and layout excavation for foundations
• Install safety protection and barricades throughout the work area
• Install scaffold stair towers from street level to foundation level
• Begin excavation of the slab, general excavation
• Begin rock drilling for footings
• Begin layout of trackside barriers, install barrier wall
• Mobilize and prepare for construction of tower foundations

Utility Relocation work along PATH Tracks
Contractor: Petrocelli Electric
Construction Start on Site: Surveying and layout work started in March, construction work started in April.
Duration of Work: 6 to 8 months
Scope of Work: Primarily electrical utility relocations of PATH utilities that interfere with the tower foundations. Work will be performed at track level around the PATH tracks mostly on off hours nights and weekends.

Excavation and Foundation Construction Work
Contractor: Laquila Group Inc.
Construction Start on Site: April 27, 2006
Duration of Work: 10 to 12 Months
Scope of Work: Excavation of rock for the construction of tower footings. Construction of tower foundations consisting of concrete spread footings on rock, rock anchors and mini-caissons. Work will occur both during regular hours and off hours for the track area work.

Last edited by Ebola; May 2nd, 2006 at 01:42 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM   #302
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Who Might Fill Freedom Tower?
First of All, Feds

Artist's rendering of planned
Freedom Tower.

By ALEX FRANGOS
May 2, 2006

NEW YORK -- Meant to be a shining beacon of liberty and commerce, the rebuilt World Trade Center's signature Freedom Tower is also likely to be a government citadel housing federal law-enforcement groups among other government agencies -- possibly enhancing its profile as a terrorist target.

Among the prospective tenants are the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, now both within the Department of Homeland Security, as well as the Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The question of who will work in the heavily symbolic skyscraper -- planned at 1,776 feet high -- has dogged rebuilding officials since the days after 9/11. Private businesses scoffed at locating in a tall, high-profile building on the site of two terrorist attacks. New York City's government and the building's owner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, say they won't take space in Freedom Tower, opting instead for less-visible buildings on the Ground Zero site.

Last year, architects had to completely redesign the tower to protect against possible truck bombs. The changes include a 20-story square concrete base that critics have likened to a bunker.

Filling the $2.1 billion Freedom Tower is the first stage of a larger challenge: attracting businesses back downtown and to the other four planned office skyscrapers, including the already built, and mostly empty, 7 World Trade Center. Complicating matters, if federal or state tenants don't sign on in the next few months, the rebuilding plan struck last week between developer Larry Silverstein and several government players could unravel.

An estimated 25% of the commercial office space at Ground Zero -- and at least 38% of the Freedom Tower -- will be filled by government tenants, echoing the government bailout of the first trade center. But persuading government employees to work there may prove challenging. Some 750 customs and immigration workers fled from 6 World Trade before it was destroyed when the north Twin Tower collapsed.

"It's frightening," a Customs border-protection worker said in an interview yesterday. The worker, employed by the agency at the former trade-center site, refused to give her name for fear of retribution from supervisors. "When I heard about the Freedom Tower, I just stood still, I couldn't feel," she said. "They're going to have to take me like this" -- she motioned with both arms -- "and move me."

Leah Yoon, a Customs and Border Protection spokeswoman, says, "Our mission is more important than ever, and to be able to do that from a location that symbolizes so much tragedy for our country is in many ways an opportunity for us to rise above the ashes."

While the government tenants would create something of a critical mass, urban planners warn they also could drive away private businesses that for cultural and prestige reasons don't like to cohabit with government agencies.

"The FBI isn't who a big law firm wants to be next to," says John K. McIlwain, senior resident fellow at the Urban Land Institute, an industry research group. For one thing, he explains, the type of "bottom-end" lobby and other economies that budget-conscious government tenants demand differ from the more luxurious touches preferred by the private sector. FBI spokeswoman Christine Monaco declined to comment.

More broadly, Mr. McIlwain says there is "no perceptible office demand" for the planned 8.8 million square feet of office space, most of which will hit the market at about the same time in 2012. When government is being counted on for a quarter of that space, he says, "you know you have a problem. That's not the kind of tenants you want" to attract private businesses.

Conversely, some government agencies don't like to mix with the private sector. "There are federal agencies that won't go in with certain kinds of tenants," says Eileen Long-Chelales, regional director of the General Services Administration, the agency that procures space on behalf of the federal government. "There are some operations that are very private in nature, and they don't want the world knowing where they there."

Some see echoes of the first World Trade Center, which was finished in 1973. "After they built the first trade center, and the place was empty, they went to government to fill it up," says Bettina Damiani, director of Good Jobs New York, a group that fights subsidies to business. She adds: "We haven't progressed."

Even with government tenants, the original World Trade Center was partly empty for years, creating a glut of space and depressing the office market. Some said it would never fill. But by the late 1990s, it reached full capacity, and the Port Authority was able lease the complex for 99 years to Mr. Silverstein for $3.2 billion.

Last week, after lengthy negotiations, Mr. Silverstein and a web of government players agreed in principal on a tentative rebuilding plan at Ground Zero whose provisions include relieving the developer of the Freedom Tower, leaving the Port Authority in charge.

But crucial to going forward is getting federal tenants into the tower, which is by no means a done deal. Indeed, New Jersey agreed to go along with the Freedom Tower takeover only after New York Gov. George E. Pataki promised to lure federal agencies as a hedge against the building being a financial drain to the authority. Gov. Pataki has until September, when the final rebuilding pact is due to be signed. If he can't land a government tenant, the New Jersey half of the Port Authority says it will cancel the Freedom Tower.

"We are confident government and private-sector firms will go into the Freedom Tower," says John McCarthy, Port Authority spokesman.

For the task of getting the federal government to take space in the Freedom Tower, Gov. Pataki has turned to his chief of staff, John Cahill, who has an inside advantage: His former deputy is the GSA's Ms. Long-Chelales.

"Now that there is a deal [with] Silverstein...it makes our conversation more fruitful," Ms. Long-Chelales says.

But hurdles remain. Congress needs to approve any leases that involve more than one million square feet. Also, the tower will need to meet federal civilian and law-enforcement standards, including parking spaces for federal agents.

Ms. Long-Chelales wouldn't comment directly about how employees might feel about moving into the Freedom Tower. "I would not even want to get into the emotions," she says. "It's five years later, and memories of Sept. 11 are still in the minds and hearts of those who witnessed and were a part of that day."

Copyright © 2006 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:17 PM   #303
Ebola
BANNED

It should all be occupied in less than two decades.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:35 AM   #304
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
Freedom Tower Construction Fact Sheet

Developer: World Trade Properties LLC (an affiliate of Silverstein Properties Inc.)
Construction Manager: Tishman Construction Corp.
Architect: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, LLP
On April 27 at approx. 8:30am, the construction team will mobilize into the World Trade Center site, marking the beginning of construction of the Freedom Tower.
awesome...

and about filling the tower. I'd be willing to move in if they cant find anyone haha.
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:55 AM   #305
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica
Umm.. the ESB would have probably held up better than the WTC...

The ESB is one of the most stout buildings ever built..
There are rumours that it was actually "overbuilt" meaning that they used a LOT more materials than was needed to have built it.. The steel beams could have been smaller, and gotten the job done, but back in the day they had no way of calculating that accurately.
The ESB used alot more materials because skyscraper construction was not nearly as advanced back then. The ESB uses something like twice as much steel per floor as the Sears Tower.

Im not sure that the ESB would of held up better than the WTC. The twin towers had a totally different type of structure compared to the ESB. The Twin towers had a stiff outer core that was secured by beams that went far into the ground. They also utilized stronger steel and concrete.

Each floor of the WTC could support something like an extra 1,300 lbs. The only reason the WTC fell is because of the incredible heat from the jet fuel fire. Poor resistance to heat is one of the few weaknesses of steel. Once one floor gave way the lower floors could not support the additional loads.
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:28 PM   #306
Ebola
BANNED

British architect Sir Richard Rogers has been anointed to design WTC Tower Three and Japanese Pritzker-winner Fumihiko Maki has been anointed to design WTC Tower Four. Tower Two is being designed by Lord Norman Forster. Tower Five is being designed by no one, it seems.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #307
blackhawk08

Likes (Received): 0

guys check out the webcam, they have torn out all of the concrete where the FT will stand.
blackhawk08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #308
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Don't forget that Times Sq Plaza, located north of the NY Times Tower, was excavated and it was put on hold since 2003 despite the foundation work.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #309
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk08
guys check out the webcam, they have torn out all of the concrete where the FT will stand.
sorry to be a hassle, have you a link for webcam?
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:18 AM   #310
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
sorry to be a hassle, have you a link for webcam?
http://www.earthcam.net/users/interf...2&clientid=158
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #311
treboy

Likes (Received): 3

FANTASTIC!
NEW YORK CITY, It is top of the greatest cities.
while I am making post here, I guess many people are trying to move to NewYorkCity or the surroundings.

Last edited by treboy; May 4th, 2006 at 04:32 AM.
treboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #312
Ebola
BANNED

Maybe I will consider moving into WTC Tower Five if they make it a residential tower.
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #313
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

From that article, it seems as if none of the government agencies at this point are actually thinking about moving into the FT nor do they seem to be optimistic, plus the NJ side mentioned that the FT will be cancelled if none of them have agreed to have space there by September.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #314
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

What the hell are you smoking? The FT is not going to be cancelled.

Geez. It's hard time you come back to the real world and realize that this is a done deal. No more negotiations. No more delays. No more redesigns, well, a small redesign for the spire, but no overhaul.

Most importantly, no cancellation. Period.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #315
Luxis
REserved User

Likes (Received): 77

WOW, cool "new WTC" ;P
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #316
Ebola
BANNED

NEED NEW RENDERS.
Old May 5th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #317
Mascalzone
User de Zena

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline
The reason terroists succeed on their plans to destroy WTC is simple.
The flawless design of WTC-two same blocky supertalls stand right next to each other. It is greatly consider one of the densest block on earth at the time with all the governmental and financial workers around!
Think about it, if the WTC only has one tower, how many lives would have been saved, much less impacts around the ground zero? and I am doubt that Terroists would have picked it as target!

I am glad that families of the victims successfully infulenced the designers on what it takes to learn from the past! Build a FT!
I don't agree, NY will have at least 3 targets instead of 2 now: FT and 2 1000+ feet (the other scrapers of the new project)
Mascalzone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #318
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascalzone
I don't agree, NY will have at least 3 targets instead of 2 now: FT and 2 1000+ feet (the other scrapers of the new project)
Yea, and also in the smaller scale and height! I doubt that terroists will bring the whole army!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #319
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3404

Progress

[IMG]http://i2.************/x6dkbs.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.************/x6d89j.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Tom_Green; May 5th, 2006 at 05:08 PM.
Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #320
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

too bad I cant see the 1st picture so cant make any comparison.

So I would rather say acooding to my impression that it still looks like last tiem I'v seen it alost a year ago..

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote