daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #21
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

Think it's only 415 meters tall

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #22
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28170

I like the freedom tower, but not the smaller towers, they are boxy, too fat and too low.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #23
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

I think it looks good. Mabey not living up to its Chicago competition but its certainly taller.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #24
gibbor

Likes (Received): 1

I personally like the design of this tower as well as the underlying concept and the used symbolism. I hope it gets built. I think it fits the rest of N.Y.'s skyline well and would make a good replacement to the Twin Towers.

Freedom Tower @ Wikipedia

I'd like to hear your opinion.
gibbor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #25
palindrome

Likes (Received): 2

I really like how the design sticks out amongst the surrounding buldings. I think it looks beautiful.
palindrome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #26
Tobi

Likes (Received): 23

There's just too much pressure on this project. That's way it's taking much too long and the design just still doesn't look right, at least, to me that is...
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #27
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

what's this box's height without spire and without it's 200-ft. tall pedestal??

DUBAI 2006 -- Welcome!! :)
scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #28
Pobbie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

I really like the Freedom Tower: it surprises me greatly that so many people hate it. When is construction due to commence? I was at the site about a month ago and there was nothing going on at all.
Pobbie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #29
lazar22b

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
what's this box's height without spire and without it's 200-ft. tall pedestal??

Its 415 m or 1368 ft i think.
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #30
Brice

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD
so? are there no people in the states who use metres?
I'm in NY, I use metres every days. At work and also in every day life.
Brice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:50 PM   #31
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

http://www.freedomtower.som.com/

Cool videos and whatnot.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #32
Scruffy88
Action

Now that Larry is out for the FT I was kinda hoping that the PA would raise the height of the tower to 1776 ft and the spire to 2000. But that would mean another year of delays as they get that all worked out. Just start building the mother already. They better not have another press conference that has pataki there with a shovel to say that they are starting building it and another press conference with pataki and a cement mixer to say the foundations are starting. just start building it. quietly
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #33
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Honestly, its not that bad of a tower. I just wish its roof height was 1,776 ft. Everything heres gotta be a damn spire, come on NYC.

I think the other 4 towers are gonna look great as well, this whole area is gonna kick ass come 2012. Foster is designing WTC 2 I believe, the guy who designed Hearst.

Construction on this should finally start within a week, its been announced. So now, NYC's tallest is officially underway, after years of bullshit.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #34
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins
I like the freedom tower, but not the smaller towers, they are boxy, too fat and too low.
massing models
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #35
TONIO DEL BARRIO

Likes (Received): 1

i don' t speak a good english and i don't understand all what you wrote, so in simply words can you say to me, if the Freedom Tower will be built or it is just a project, please and thank you
TONIO DEL BARRIO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #36
Spooky873
BANNED

Si.
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #37
Spooky873
BANNED

Wall Street Journal
4/26/06

World Trade Center Rebuilding Pact Is Reached; Accord of Developer, Owner May Open Path for Start Of Significant Construction

NEW YORK -- In a move that could clear the way for significant construction to start at Ground Zero, World Trade Center developer Larry Silverstein and the site's owner, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, agreed in principle on a rebuilding plan, though some details have yet to be finalized.

Construction on the Freedom Tower -- the iconic centerpiece of the project -- could begin in a "matter of days," according to an aide to Mr. Silverstein. The five planned towers would be completed around 2012.

In a four-page letter to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the bistate government agency that owns the site, Mr. Silverstein said, "We are accepting all of your economic terms." The letter went on, however, to detail at least two economic items to which he wasn't committing, including his share of the cost to build the site's foundation and underground services, and the Port Authority's share of any future profits. Mr. Silverstein said those issues were relatively minor.

Mr. Silverstein and Port Authority officials met yesterday to hash out the remaining issues. Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia and Port Authority Executive Director Kenneth J. Ringler said in a statement yesterday: "We are pleased that Silverstein Properties [Inc.] has agreed to accept the unified proposal. . . . We look forward to Silverstein Properties signing the framework proposal and, once it does, to the Port Authority Board considering the proposal at the regular monthly meeting [today]."

Both sides are working toward a final agreement in time for the Port Authority's annual board meeting today.

While a deal would clear problems that have plagued the commercial parts of the site, the fate of the adjacent memorial to victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks remains unresolved. It lacks funds. The budget has ballooned beyond its initial $500 million estimate. And state- government security experts have expressed concerns that its underground spaces could be magnets for terrorist attacks.

Despite agreeing to what Mr. Silverstein called "real concessions," the proposed pact is a big win for the developer and his investors, including New York real-estate tycoon Lloyd Goldman. Mr. Silverstein won back his and his partners' original $125 million equity investment in 2003 as part of refinancing of his mortgage. Now, he will be relieved of the most difficult to build and worst-located Freedom Tower and gets to keep the three best-located towers that are closest to transportation and the heart of Wall Street. In addition, government agencies have agreed to be anchor tenants in his buildings. The state and city last year created subsidies to entice potential private-sector tenants.

Government agencies would fill more than 20% of the planned office space. Despite that guarantee and the other subsidies, it doesn't mean clear sailing for the much-criticized project. Its long-term economic viability will still depend on attracting large private-sector tenants, said Kathryn S. Wylde, chief executive of the Partnership for New York City, a business group. Whether there are enough tenants to fill 10 million square feet of commercial space "is still an issue of concern," she said. She is hopeful the "resolution of these open political issues that have had a chilling effect on the site will result in commercial tenants coming forward."

Ms. Wylde said improvements in transit, including $3 billion, mostly in federal money, for two transit hubs, will entice big business to relocate downtown. None of the transit improvements will extend service to new areas; they will simply create architecturally significant terminals and pedestrian pathways between the subways and a commuter rail line.

The deal would involve a major government injection of money into the site. Mr. Silverstein would hand over to the Port Authority the rights to rebuild two of the five planned skyscrapers, including the Freedom Tower, seen as the most expensive and difficult-to-market element at the site. It will cost more than $2 billion and is seen as a possible terrorist target. The Port Authority and the City of New York would move 1.2 million square feet of offices to towers 2, 3 or 4, which Mr. Silverstein would control, alleviating somewhat his difficult task of attracting tenants. The Port Authority would reduce the rent Mr. Silverstein owes under his $3.2 billion, 99-year lease.

The deal would also require New York state to follow through on a promise to lure a major federal government tenant -- possibly the Federal Bureau of Investigation -- to take close to one million square feet of space in the Freedom Tower. That lease would be valued at $47.5 million a year for several years. New York state would inject a further $250 million from its share of a previous toll increase at Port Authority-owned bridges and tunnels. The Port Authority would also give $100 million to build the memorial. A total of $3.5 billion in tax-exempt Liberty Bonds would also be used.

The Port Authority would also require Mr. Silverstein to buy the rights to the lucrative retail portion of the site, valued at several hundred million dollars. He would, in turn, sell those rights to a developer that specializes in retail. That provision, however, would first need to gain the cooperation of Westfield Group, a former Silverstein partner and retail real-estate company that owns a "right of first offer" to build and own a mall-size collection of stores there. A Westfield spokeswoman declined to comment.

A tower previously assigned to Mr. Silverstein would be bid out to another private developer. The Port Authority is expected to sell development rights to Tower 5, tentatively slated to be a massive residential skyscraper, for at least $250 million. Those proceeds will help the Port Authority pay to build the 1,776-foot-tall Freedom Tower. Mr. Silverstein will still earn a $20 million fee for managing the construction of the Freedom Tower.
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #38
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

This design is now outdated.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #39
GVNY
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by centreoftheuniverse
It looks weird and awkward. The 200 ft fortress base is ugly and the spire with the strings attached looks tacky.
Architects have not even designed the base or the spire, so how would you, or anyone else, know how to feel about it?

Some people here are amazing.
GVNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #40
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

what, have they redesigned it AGAIN?
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote