daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #461
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Good news indeed. I can't wait to see what these buildings will look like and how they relate to all the new buildings as well as the rest of southern Manhatten.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #462
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

I don't think the WTC will really relate to Lower Manhattan as much as it will the WFC.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #463
ggmm

Likes (Received): 2

*NYC*
ggmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #464
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

courtesy of STR from SSP, showing WTC towers 2,3,4 if they had spires, and also the u/c Goldman Sachs HQ (fat light blue building to the left)

Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #465
forvine

Likes (Received): 3

Wow... this is looking awesome!
forvine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #466
Woolie

Likes (Received): 4

A little too generic

Although I think the latest designs are quite good, and I do like them. I do think that they are a little generic. Since, I think, the building will also be like a memorial itself, I was hoping for something more unique. I don't know whether this is true, but I think money is playing too much of a role in the design process.
Woolie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #467
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

Wonderful imagination
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #468
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolie
Although I think the latest designs are quite good, and I do like them. I do think that they are a little generic. Since, I think, the building will also be like a memorial itself, I was hoping for something more unique. I don't know whether this is true, but I think money is playing too much of a role in the design process.

those arent the official designs ya goof. its just a mockup, an idea of what we can expect.
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #469
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/19/ny...19rebuild.html
Silverstein Says Insurers Might Not Pay $4.6 Billion

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
Published: May 19, 2006

Less than a month after a new financial plan was put in place at ground zero, the developer Larry A. Silverstein raised the specter yesterday that insurers might renege on their obligation to provide a total of $4.6 billion to build the Freedom Tower and three other office buildings there.

Mr. Silverstein said that lawyers for some of the two-dozen insurers of the World Trade Center complex had indicated that the companies might use the new plan put together by government officials as an excuse to evade their responsibility.

Under that plan, Mr. Silverstein, who had leased the trade center six weeks before it was destroyed, will no longer build all five towers there. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the property, will take control of the Freedom Tower and a second site, leaving Mr. Silverstein with three towers on the east side along Church Street.

The developer said that on Monday he and the Port Authority, which owns the 16-acre property, had written to the chief executives of 16 insurance companies demanding that they provide assurances that the new deal would not "reduce, bar or limit the insurance recovery."

"We cannot allow the insurance companies to hold up the revitalization of Lower Manhattan," he said.

The authority's executive director, Kenneth J. Ringler Jr., expressed some concern yesterday, but did not appear to be as alarmed.

Jacques E. Dubois, chairman of Swiss Re, the largest insurer at ground zero, said that his company's stance had not changed, although his company needed to analyze the final agreement between Mr. Silverstein and the Port Authority before determining whether the deal would have any effect on insurance payouts. Some insurers are also appealing related court decisions.

Mr. Silverstein's comments came during his testimony at a State Assembly hearing to determine the extent of the rebuilding progress.

It was held at 7 World Trade Center, the 52-story skyscraper that he recently completed that offers a view of the state of the recovery, including the rapidly advancing work on the $2.2 billion PATH station, the excavation for a new Goldman Sachs headquarters, and the scarred and gloomy husks of Fitterman Hall and the former Deutsche Bank building.

Mr. Silverstein called on Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Assemblyman Richard L. Brodsky, who had called the meeting, for help in dealing with the insurance companies.

Mr. Ringler said the Port Authority had a strong legal position because it was a "co-insured" party at the trade center and had won an earlier court challenge by the insurers. So far, they have paid about $2.2 billion of the total. About $1.6 billion has been spent to pay mortgages, $120 million a year in rent, architects' fees and more than $100 million in legal expenses.

Mr. Silver opened the hearing yesterday saying that the sense of urgency at ground zero seemed to have evaporated. He said he wanted to ensure that the "delays of the past do not continue to plague us." He has been critical of Gov. George E. Pataki, and to a lesser extent Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, about the lack of progress.

"New Yorkers, particularly the residents of Lower Manhattan, should be back here a year from now, asking us what is happening and why there has been no progress," he said.

Mr. Brodsky said that the purpose of the hearings was to "lift the veil of secrecy" around the rebuilding of the office towers, the plans for a 9/11 memorial and demolition of Fitterman Hall and the Deutsche Bank building.

Although rebuilding has been plagued by a seemingly endless series of political squabbles, delays and missteps over the past four years, city and state officials testified that they were close to fixing many of the problems.

Deputy Mayor Daniel L. Doctoroff, the first to testify, unleashed a waterfall of dollar figures and statistics illustrating both recent public investments in Lower Manhattan and the improving economic conditions. He cited more than $10 billion in current construction, from transit links to the rebuilding of West Street, new schools, a $27 million investment in Chinatown and thousands of new apartments. Mr. Silver and Mr. Brodsky pointedly questioned the deal by which a shopping center operator, Westfield America, has the right to make the first offer on a new lease for retail space even after its interests were bought out by the Port Authority for $140 million in 2003. Westfield ran the trade center mall.

And Assemblywoman Linda Rosenthal criticized the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation's handling of the Deutsche Bank building.

The recurring theme from the assembly members was their frustration over the lack of public accountability and the absence of visible progress, in spite of one ceremony after another.

"I wouldn't do any more groundbreaking right now," Mr. Brodsky said.

David W. Dunlap contributed reporting for this article.
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #470
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

DAMMIT!!! Why cant they just build this ******* complex already!! Now it looks like there may not be 5 buildings after all... well after hearing this, its safe to say that there could be a chance that they might not be as tall as was previously (recently) thought...

Im sorry, but the fact that there are so many problems with rebuilding, almost adds icing to the terrorists cake...
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #471
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Old May 20th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #472
fish

Likes (Received):

Remarkable photos!
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #473
matt_sbs

Likes (Received): 5

Have all the underground pipes and basements from the old WTC been removed.
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #474
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3661

Stunning images STR !!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #475
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
those arent the official designs ya goof. its just a mockup, an idea of what we can expect.
Yes. They are massing models that depict the height and maximum bulk of the towers. The roofs are at the minimum possible height, while the spires depict the maximum height.
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #476
Scruffy88
Action

STR- you are a brilliant man
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #477
Spooky873
BANNED

notice at certain angles that FT appears thinner at the top, and then not. I like that effect.

another thing, even at the minimum height these things still have a major presence. all the heights ive read so far, out of every article or site, says 1,000ft. at the least for every tower.
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #478
New York Yankee

@STR,

With which software did you made those renders?

They looks stunning!
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #479
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Yeah, which program?

By the way, what the hell is this? Looks like a crane. Are they taking down that thing yet?
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM   #480
New York Yankee

I think it's a crane too. they are destructing the old basement of WTC4.
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote