daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Old April 26th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #1
buckster
"CITY OF THUNDER"

Likes (Received): 0

Who has the best & safest "town/small city" in Ontario

I'm sure this has been done before, but oh well! Let's discuss in their personal and honest opinion, why they live or have been too the best and safest small town or "small" city here in Ontario. I'm not disregarding larger cities, but their is allready a thread on this. I'm really interested in the safe part, as I find the innocence of alot of small towns in Ontario is being lost. Can you prove this theory wrong.
buckster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Brett

Likes (Received): 42

what do you define as a small town or city? Are we talking less then 10,000?, 10-50 thousand? I think there would be a big difference depending on the population...
Brett no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #3
Sen

Likes (Received): 15

i think most ontario small towns are safe, anyways i think the best is Kingston.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #4
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Errm... Kingston isn't a small Ontario town though...

-thryve
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #5
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

We all know Shedden isn't. (Thats where the biker got killed.)
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #6
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

That was an isolated incident, thank God...

-thryve
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #7
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

In all honesty though, I think it's really cool how Ontario is full of towns, like scattered EVERYWHERE people living in different areas, all these different little towns... and connected by sites like this. It's just sort of exciting, I dunno. My interest in exploring Ontario is always going up! Perhaps just because people themselves are so interesting.

-thryve
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Jaybird
Ontario Moderator

Likes (Received): 306

I think all the towns and small cities in Ontario are quite safe. Stratford and Owen Sound are two small cities that are very safe, IMO. My town, Mitchell, is a bit of a crazy town, but very safe and nice.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #9
Doc Halladay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
I think all the towns and small cities in Ontario are quite safe. Stratford and Owen Sound are two small cities that are very safe, IMO. My town, Mitchell, is a bit of a crazy town, but very safe and nice.
That's true.

The shitty thing is that crystal meth and other hard drugs are starting to take over in these areas pretty bad. I'm from Hanover and I know that it hit Grey/Bruce pretty hard... Owen Sound, Walkerton, Hanover, Port Elgin, etc. I'm not sure how bad it is right now but 1-2 years ago it was definately bad (bad enough for municipally funded programs, info sessions, mettings, etc).

These places are all quite safe though. Just a few people who think they are the new George Jung.
Doc Halladay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #10
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

As much as I love it, Perth County is a pretty drugged up area.

-thryve
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #11
rbt

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
why they live or have been too the best and safest small town or "small" city here in Ontario.
I've lived in Hanover, Wingham, Lucknow, Kincardine, and (briefly) Point Clark. I've spent a significant amount of time in Port Elgin.

Having that base, I've come to the conclusion that none of them are safe for any sane person under 30. Boredom is the small town killer of teens. One of the few things to do for fun is drink out in the middle of nowhere (barn dances, stags, etc.), which is followed by driving home. Toss in snowmobiling, dirt biking, pool drownings, and small arms accidents if you like.

I know 3 people from those towns (separate incidents) who have some form of severe disability resulting from the above activities (drunk driving in a snow storm is just stupid -- trees get involved).

Yes, you can do that in a big city as well, but more importantly you also have other options to have a good time and far more transportation options for afterward.

You are more likely to see something un-safe in Toronto, but far more likely to be involved in it within the small town. Suburbs seem to have the worst of both worlds.
rbt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #12
Jaybird
Ontario Moderator

Likes (Received): 306

Oh yeah, the infamous "drugs" come from Perth County, more infamously, crystal meth. Apparently some jackass who lived in Texas got out of jail, moved to near my town and has had some people making crystal meth, several arrests have been made. They have seized them in Stratford, Listowel (which is also pretty bad) and other towns in Perth County and nearby. This has infamously made Perth County, the METH capital of Canada. Towns around Mount Forest are a huge target for hard drug users as well. I don't understand why it is that way. Maybe it's because some of the teenagers/young adults in these communities are so BORED out of their life, that they decide to do things and flush their life completely down the toilet.

I also hear of A LOT of Snowmobile accidents in Grey and Bruce counties, too! Makes you wonder why you sometimes hear of more crazy things happening in small towns than sometimes you do in small cities.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #13
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 107

What do you guys think of Sault Saint Marie? Safe? Not safe?
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #14
Doc Halladay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt
I've lived in Hanover, Wingham, Lucknow, Kincardine, and (briefly) Point Clark. I've spent a significant amount of time in Port Elgin.

Having that base, I've come to the conclusion that none of them are safe for any sane person under 30. Boredom is the small town killer of teens. One of the few things to do for fun is drink out in the middle of nowhere (barn dances, stags, etc.), which is followed by driving home. Toss in snowmobiling, dirt biking, pool drownings, and small arms accidents if you like.

I know 3 people from those towns (separate incidents) who have some form of severe disability resulting from the above activities (drunk driving in a snow storm is just stupid -- trees get involved).

Yes, you can do that in a big city as well, but more importantly you also have other options to have a good time and far more transportation options for afterward.

You are more likely to see something un-safe in Toronto, but far more likely to be involved in it within the small town. Suburbs seem to have the worst of both worlds.
Nice post... the under 30 thing is completely true.

All we did growing up was drink, and when I go back? You guessed it, drink! Really, though, there isn't much else to do in the area. I've attended and thrown more field parties, deck parties, house parties, barn parties, lake parties, shed parties or stag parties than you could shake a stick at. It's not that people do this kind of stuff in this area to "be cool"... it's because there's simply nothing else to do. I guess this could probably be the reason why drug use is rapdily growing in Grey/Bruce/Huron/Perth. I think the area needs to come up with some alternatives for people to do. It is difficult though as the funding and population just isn't there to do it.
Old April 28th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #15
Doc Halladay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird
Oh yeah, the infamous "drugs" come from Perth County, more infamously, crystal meth. Apparently some jackass who lived in Texas got out of jail, moved to near my town and has had some people making crystal meth, several arrests have been made. They have seized them in Stratford, Listowel (which is also pretty bad) and other towns in Perth County and nearby. This has infamously made Perth County, the METH capital of Canada. Towns around Mount Forest are a huge target for hard drug users as well. I don't understand why it is that way. Maybe it's because some of the teenagers/young adults in these communities are so BORED out of their life, that they decide to do things and flush their life completely down the toilet.

I also hear of A LOT of Snowmobile accidents in Grey and Bruce counties, too! Makes you wonder why you sometimes hear of more crazy things happening in small towns than sometimes you do in small cities.
I've heard of the guy from Texas story as well. It's gotten so outta hand in Mid-Western Ontario.

There was a guy who was cooking meth in Grey County last summer in his home. He burned it right to the ground while he was doing it. I guess it becomes highly flammable and he burned the house right down to nothing. The sad thing is that it was the second time he did it. Apparently it's a pretty common thing. I can see why people turn to this kind of stuff though in these areas and it's because of being bored stiff.

As for snowmobile accidents in Grey/Bruce, yeah there's a ton. I attribute that though to many of them acting like idiots while riding them. I shake my head at watching what some of them try and do sometimes. Many of them venture off the designated paths and try their "own routes." It should come as no surprise then when they are decapitaed by a farmers fence. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive them.
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #16
buckster
"CITY OF THUNDER"

I spent my early years in Sarnia, as a kid you just kind of wandered the streets and the worst you did was smoke pot, then my dad was transferred to Owen Sound and yes it's beautiful, and there was more freedom, but the only thing to do up there was drink, and drink hard, and drink alot. There is really nothing to do but drink, but the adults up there drink with the kids, and drinking and driving wasn't a big deal at all. I won't even get into snowmobiling deaths, we lost alot of friends up there.
buckster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:19 AM   #17
softee

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
What do you guys think of Sault Saint Marie? Safe? Not safe?
The Sault can be a tad on the rough side, (moreso than North Bay) but generally speaking it's still quite safe. There was recently a double homicide in the Sault, a mother and her young son were killed by a man that they knew.

Check out the police reports on www.sootoday.ca to get an idea of what sort of crime occurs in that city.
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #18
vid

Likes (Received): 891

Thunder Bay is prolly worse than the Soo. With a shitty economy, and an increasing poor population,the city is being hit pretty hard. We have had so many OxyContin related robberies last year, most pharmacies won't carry it, aside from the hospital pharmacy, and it's pretty safe. East End though, I don't have much problems walking even Simpson at night (not for that <.<) but the East End is just terrifying, even in day. It's because the rail yard has pretty much cut it off of the rest of the city, it's so disconnected and impovershed, it very well could reclaim it's title of most impovershed community in North America, or at least Canada.

My cousin lives out there. It's got good qualities, but it's just unnerving. I wouldn't go there alone, that's for sure.
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #19
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee
The Sault can be a tad on the rough side, (moreso than North Bay) but generally speaking it's still quite safe. There was recently a double homicide in the Sault, a mother and her young son were killed by a man that they knew.

Check out the police reports on www.sootoday.ca to get an idea of what sort of crime occurs in that city.
Thanks, softee.
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #20
vid

Likes (Received): 891

Batchewana! I haven't been there in years! :P