daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #2041
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.yau View Post
I really like the new business class, a real improvement from the current one. For some reason the new seats reminds me of BA's new first class with Korean air's First class colour scheme.

I like the new Business Class too, seems like all the disadvantages of the current design were removed which is critical to maintain its position as one of leading airlines in Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7772003 View Post
No First Class upgrades?

Will CX reactivate all planes stored at VCV?
Don't really think there will be any upgrades for First Class anytime soon.

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #2042
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Cathay Pacific unveils new Business Class seat, new frontline staff uniform and latest lounge concepts at gala event

7 December 2010

Cathay Pacific Airways today unveiled its latest innovations in product and service at a glittering event in Hong Kong attended by more than 3,000 people.

The airline revealed, for the first time in public, its new Business Class seat, which will help to redefine the travel experience for premium passengers beginning March 2011, and showcased the new uniform for cabin crew and other customer-facing staff – created by Hong Kong designer Eddie Lau - that will be introduced in the second half of next year. Also put on show were the latest innovations in the airline’s Hong Kong passenger lounges.

The event, dubbed “Light Up the Sky”, was held at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre with Henry Tang, Chief Secretary for Administration of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, as Guest of Honour. Mr Tang officiated at the opening ceremony together with Cathay Pacific Chief Executive Tony Tyler and Chief Operating Officer John Slosar.

Speaking at the unveiling event, Chief Executive Tony Tyler said: “Tonight we are pleased to unveil product innovations that will not just do Cathay Pacific proud, but Hong Kong proud. Our new flat-bed Business Class seat was developed after listening to what our customers had to say and it will, I believe, underline our commitment to excellence in innovation. We are also pleased to unveil the new uniforms for our frontline staff, created by our brilliant Hong Kong home-grown designer, Eddie Lau, and some of our exciting lounge developments at Hong Kong International Airport.

What we are unveiling tonight is quite a package that has been put together for the most important people in our business - our passengers. These latest product and service enhancements form part of Cathay Pacific’s ongoing investments in the continued development of Hong Kong as one of the world’s leading international aviation hubs."

Chief Secretary for Administration Henry Tang said: “Aviation is a fast-moving industry in every sense. Cathay Pacific’s constant development of its products and services has helped to enhance the airline’s competitiveness for more than six decades. The new products and services being unveiled today will help to keep the airline ahead of the competition. Cathay Pacific has been a close partner with the Government in strengthening our city’s status as a regional and international aviation centre, and we are proud to have Cathay Pacific as Hong Kong’s flag carrier.”

The highlight of the evening was the unveiling of Cathay Pacific’s new Business Class seat – a passenger-led design that aims to refine comfort, versatility and function. Every aspect of the new product has been thoughtfully designed around the passenger’s needs, providing a space in which to sleep, dine, work, read, watch TV or simply relax.

The new seat offers both privacy and openness, with a wing-back chair that cocoons passengers in their own private area and has been carefully designed to maximise living space. The seats, which are angled to give passengers a perfect view through the windows and are ideal for those travelling with a companion, provide everything passengers need to control either their widescreen inflight entertainment system or the infinitely adjustable seat. The seat quickly converts into a bed that is one of the longest and widest provided on any commercial airline.

Inside the cabin, the new Business Class will feature artwork – all original designs - by Hong Kong artist Maria Lobo. Guests at the gala party were given a preview of Ms Lobo’s creative designs.

The first aircraft to feature the new Business Class product will be an Airbus A330-300, which is planned to enter service on some of the flights on the Sydney route in March. The new seats will be rolled out rapidly, being installed on all Cathay Pacific’s new long-haul A330-300 and Boeing 777-300ER deliveries and progressively being retrofitted on existing aircraft. By February 2013, all 30 Boeing 777-300ER and 20 long-haul A330-300s in the fleet are expected to have the new product.

Guests at the “Light Up the Sky” event were also treated to a fashion show featuring the new Cathay Pacific uniform, which will be worn by all cabin crew, airport staff and other customer-facing employees of the airline from the third quarter of next year. The new uniform, once again created by renowned Hong Kong designer Eddie Lau, continues the tradition of creating a stylish, elegant and unique look that’s symbolic of a modern Asian Airline respected worldwide for quality, style and gracious service.

The new uniform is an evolution of the existing uniform and among the signature features being retained are red as the principal colour, the brush-wing logo, standing collars and cuffs, and the long skirts for senior frontline staff. New fabrics with a mechanical stretch are being employed on a number of uniform items to provide more comfort and ease of movement while still meeting stringent occupational health and safety requirements.

The final element of the gala event was a special section set up to showcase Cathay Pacific’s latest lounge developments, which include the recent opening of The Cabin, the Group’s newest departure lounge at Hong Kong International Airport, and the comprehensive renovations of its signature lounge, The Wing, which are now underway. The airline set up an exhibition at “Light Up the Sky” which included scale models as well as lounge features such as the unique Cathay Solus Chair and the new Health Bar.

The latest product and service enhancements form part of Cathay Pacific’s ongoing investments in the continued development of Hong Kong as one of the world’s leading international aviation hubs. The airline currently has a total of 65 new aircraft on order, with a book value of HK$115 billion, for delivery up to 2019. Cathay Pacific is also investing HK$5.5 billion in its own state-of-the-art cargo terminal at Hong Kong International Airport that will open in early 2013.

國泰新座椅、新制服,新候機室設計揭幕

7 December 2010

國泰航空今天舉行大型晚會「創意閃亮之夜」,隆重展示機艙最新產品及服務,吸引超過三千嘉賓蒞臨。

國泰首度向公眾展示全新商務艙座椅,該產品會在明年3月面世,為尊貴乘客帶來非凡的旅遊體驗;會上同時展出機艙服務員、地勤等前線員工的新制服。制服乃香港設計大師劉培基先生的傑作,訂於明年下半年推出。另外,晚會亦介紹國泰位於香港機場貴賓室的最新設計。

「創意閃亮之夜」假香港會議展覽中心舉行,由香港特別行政區政務司司長唐英年擔任主禮嘉賓,聯同國泰航空行政總裁湯彥麟、常務總裁史樂山主持開幕典禮。

湯彥麟於會上表示:「會上展示的新產品設計,除了讓國泰引以為榮,亦足以讓港人感到驕傲。新商務艙平臥睡床的設計廣泛採納了不少乘客的意見,反映出我們力求創新求進。另外,我們亦很高興推出由香港土生土長的設計大師劉培基先生為前線同事設計的新制服,並介紹在香港國際機場的國泰貴賓室最新形象。」

「是夜展出琳瑯滿目的各種新產品,乃為國泰最尊貴的乘客而設。提升產品及服務素質是國泰投資的重要一環,以繼續支持香港發展為國際主要的航空樞紐。」

政務司司長唐英年表示:「航空業變化無常,國泰不斷改善產品及服務,使競爭力於過去60載得以持續提升,今天推出的新產品深信有助國泰鞏固其市場的領導地位。國泰一直與政府密切合作,支持本港發展為國際及區內的航空樞紐,政府亦以國泰作為本地旗艦航空公司為榮。」

國泰全新商務客艙座椅成為晚會焦點,當中參考了不同乘客的意見,就舒適度、多用途特色及功能各方面深入研究而成,乘客於客艙內的睡眠、餐膳、工作、閱讀、視聽娛樂及歇息等需要均照顧周全。

座椅的設計,兼顧到乘客擁有私人及活動空間。椅背呈翼狀,如翅膀般保護乘客的私人空間,但設有相對寬敞的活動範圍。座椅向方經細心考慮,方便乘客觀賞窗外景致,又能與旅伴閒聊溝通。控制器位置觸手可及,由調較私人電視螢幕設定、運作機上娛樂系統,以至調節座位高度均非常方便。輕輕按鍵,座椅能便伸展為平臥的睡床,是市面上商用客機使用的最寬最長的睡床之一。

在晚會上,還展示新商務客艙內陳設香港藝術家Maria Lobo的創意藝術作品,讓嘉賓先睹為快。

首架配備新商務艙產品的空中巴士A330-300會於明年3月投入服務,運作部分悉尼航線航班。新座椅會安裝於新接收的長途空中巴士A330-300及波音777-300ER飛機,並陸續為現役機隊進行更換。到2013年2月,機隊內所有30架波音777-300ER及20架長途空中巴士A330-300將會完成更換。

「創意閃亮之夜」還舉行「時裝展」,向嘉賓介紹明年第三季推出的機艙服務員、機場地勤等前線員工的新制服。國泰再次邀請香港著名大師劉培基設計,貫徹制服時尚,優雅獨特的特色,配合國泰服務優質親切,先進亞洲航空公司的形象。

新制服設計由現有制服演化而成,保留以紅色為主調、翹首振翅標誌、翻領及袖口,和高級前線員工穿長裙等標誌性元素。制服改用彈性纖維織物製造,讓衣物具自然伸縮性,質感舒適,亦同時符合職業健康及安全的嚴格規定。

晚會亦設立特別環節展示國泰貴賓室的最新發展,包括國泰位於香港國際機場最新離境候機室爾雅堂最近開幕,及寰宇堂大型修葺工程的進展。另又展出泰樂椅及最近推出的健怡吧的比例模型及其他候機室設計介紹。

最新推出的產品及服務,反映國泰一直投放資源,支持香港發展為國際主要航空樞紐。國泰未來添置飛機的數目為65架,涉及賬面值達1150億港元,於2019年前陸續付運。公司亦投資55億港幣,於香港國際機場興建設備先進的貨運站,計劃於2013年初落成。
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #2043
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Fact sheets on the latest product and service enhancements are available - please click on the following links:

New uniform fact sheet

New Business Class fact sheet

The Wing renovations fact sheet
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #2044
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitak747 View Post
The new Business Class revealed

Nice, the window seat is back!
I like the new seat adjusting button, so you can actually feel the button.
It is so difficulty to guess the button or press the button without looking at it; especially difficult in a laid-down position.
The AV and ipod input are interesting as well. Does it mean we can plug in the Wii, PS3 or xbox to play on board to kill time?

The only thing I see weird now is the head position is going to be next to the aisle with the new layout, versus it is tuck in the seat today. I think it is going to feel strange once you lie down on the flat bed with your head next to all the activities, or just seeing someone sleeping as you walk by.
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #2045
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

More photos of their cabin available on CX's Facebook Album:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=11279153466
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #2046
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Nice, the window seat is back!
I like the new seat adjusting button, so you can actually feel the button.
It is so difficulty to guess the button or press the button without looking at it; especially difficult in a laid-down position.
The AV and ipod input are interesting as well. Does it mean we can plug in the Wii, PS3 or xbox to play on board to kill time?

The only thing I see weird now is the head position is going to be next to the aisle with the new layout, versus it is tuck in the seat today. I think it is going to feel strange once you lie down on the flat bed with your head next to all the activities, or just seeing someone sleeping as you walk by.
Obviously the management of CX took all the negative feedback of the herringbone seat seriously.

Old December 8th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2047
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Obviously the management of CX took all the negative feedback of the herringbone seat seriously.
I tend to agree, but I want to point out that the it wasn't the herringbone layout that was the main problem of the cabins, but rather, the way CX implemented it. Compared to other J-Class cabins with similar herringbone layout, CX's felt really tight.

Same with the fixed-shell seats on Y-Class. The idea itself of having fixed-shell seats without having someone to recline onto you is great, but CX didn't implement it properly.

Last edited by deasine; December 8th, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #2048
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

It looks very cheap to me, almost like economy catering.......speaking about catering, I hope they would do something about it in the future, I'm sure they have heard quite a lot of negative feedback in the past.
caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #2049
caelus

http://asia.businesstraveller.com/as...ats-win-praise

Cathay Pacific's new business class seats win praise

Some 3,000 invited guests, most of them long-time members of the Cathay Pacific's Marco Polo Club, turned up for the spectacular "Light Up The Sky" party last night to catch a sneak preview of its new business class seats.

A corner that resembled the new C-class cabin was created, attracting a long queue of frequent flyers eager to get a taste of the innovations.

Here's are some reactions from the crowd:

Chris Woodward, Marco Polo Club Diamond member and a long-time reader of Business Traveller, was delighted, saying "It's a vast improvement. I think they got it right this time." He was unimpressed with the old business class seats – commonly referred to as the "herringbone" seats – when they were introduced a few years ago. "It was a total disaster. It was for a single person travelling alone, who wasn't too large and didn't mind to be cut off from the world."

With the new ones, he said: "There is a feeling of space; a feeling that you can have a laptop; you can have food; and have a place to store things." Another feature he appreciated was the seat adjustment panel, which makes the seat flat at the touch of a button. "With some other airlines you actually have to get up to make it a bed."

Venus Choi, who works for Credit Suisse and has been a Marco Polo Club member since she was in high school, also praised the extra space. "It is much bigger – there is an option to be interactive with the person next to you, and if you want privacy you can choose that too," she said, referring to the armrest that can also be pulled up as a privacy screen. But she did have one complaint. "There is a button to pop the TV out but to close it you have to get up and make a conscious effort to do it."

Ross Chiu, a friend of Choi and a Diamond member "below 30", said: "With the 'fish bone' you couldn’t talk to others and it was very narrow. If you wanted to open the laptop and work, there was no space for your arms. This time, they have solved the problem."

Ronnie Ede, another Diamond-tier Marco Polo Club member, said: "The meal table had added space, it was pretty comfortable."

Howard Cummer, one of the many guests attending the party, remarked: "I have flown more than 2 million miles. I was part of the focus group for the original sardine-style business bed. The new ones are quite a bit better. They are more aware of what you might want to do when you are flying.

"You have more space for your laptop; you can plug in your iPad, access your movies and store your shoes and things."

He said: "The bed feels more like a bed. It does not have the lumps like the old seats had. What's nice is they listened to the customers. We do have opinions about this as we use the facility all the time. The new facility is definitely better than the old one."

Cummer's wife Esther, was happy that the new seats now allow people to interact: "With the last one – the 'coffin' if I may call it – you had to stand up and lean over to talk to the person you were travelling with and that was a problem."
Old December 9th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #2050
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelus View Post
It looks very cheap to me, almost like economy catering.......speaking about catering, I hope they would do something about it in the future, I'm sure they have heard quite a lot of negative feedback in the past.
As for catering, I also think there are some rooms for further improvement, and I find their subsidiary Dragonair better than them.
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #2051
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4966

Would I be right in assuming that there're fewer newer seats per unit area than herringbone? If yes, then how many seats did they sacrifice (on a 777)?
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #2052
caelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Would I be right in assuming that there're fewer newer seats per unit area than herringbone? If yes, then how many seats did they sacrifice (on a 777)?
The rumor is 3 seats on 330, 4 seats on 777, so 1 row of seats on both a/c.
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #2053
caelus

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...208-18pgb.html

Cathay Pacific unveils billion-dollar new business class

Cathay Pacific Airways, Hong Kong's biggest carrier, will spend more than HK$1 billion ($A131 million) introducing new business-class seats to fend off competition for lucrative premium travellers.

The wing-back seats will be fitted in 50 long-haul planes by February, 2013, the carrier said in a statement handed to reporters at an event in Hong Kong today. They will be first used on flights to Sydney from March.

Incoming Chief Executive Officer John Slosar will oversee the revamp as Emirates Airline and Singapore Airlines woo Hong Kong travellers with Airbus A380s, and US carriers add China flights on surging economic growth. British Airways and Lufthansa have also unveiled new first-class cabins this year as travel rebounds from the global recession.

"The premium carriers in this region have to be very mindful of what's going on in the Middle East," said Derek Sadubin, chief operating officer at consultants Centre for Asia- Pacific Aviation. "And, there's obviously some very strong transpacific rivals."

Cathay will install the new business-class seats in 30 Boeing 777-300ERs and 20 Airbus A330-300. The carrier will also roll out new cabin-crew uniforms as part of the revamp.

The airline is overhauling its business-class offering as Singapore Air and Emirates fly their flagship A380s to Hong Kong. In September, it opened The Cabin, its fourth airport lounge in Hong Kong, which offers Apple iPads and a health bar. The airline is also working on renovating its main lounge, The Wing.

Korean Air, United

Korean Air Lines, which competes with Cathay on China-US routes, will also begin flying A380s next year as it seeks to boost premium-class sales to 50 per cent of overall revenue. United Continental and Delta Air Lines are adding China services, lured by growth in the world's most populous nation that's three times the pace in the US.

Cathay will begin flying to Chicago and Abu Dhabi next year, as well as boosting services to New York and Toronto, as the economic pickup spurs business and leisure travel. Overall, it plans to increase capacity 11 per cent. It will also receive a record 15 new planes, including six freighters.

Globally, first and business-class passenger traffic rose 9.2 per cent in the first nine months of the year, according to the International Air Transport Association. Overall passenger traffic jumped 8.5 per cent through October, with a 10 per cent increase in the Asia-Pacific region, the trade group said.

Slosar will take over as Cathay CEO in April from Tony Tyler, who is leaving to become IATA's director general.

image hosted on flickr

Cathay Pacific CEO, Tony Tyler, who is over 6 feet tall, in a lie flat position

Old December 10th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #2054
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4966

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelus View Post
The rumor is 3 seats on 330, 4 seats on 777, so 1 row of seats on both a/c.
Thanks. Sounds about right.
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #2055
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I actually like the new uniforms. I wasn't a fan of the purple suits for the male ground and flight crew and I think the grey is a much more suiting colour. That being said, it would've been better if the suit blazers did not have the "old traditional" Chinese theme elements.

With regards to the Chicago flight, I wonder if it will be fully direct, or go through a Canadian city (i.e. YVR, like HKG-YVR-JFK), or even through Calgary (HKG-YYC-ORD).
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.yau View Post
I too like the new uniforms, the colours are more cosier and soft. Many people on the internet complained that the current uniforms don't have a traditional theme in their uniforms, I hope that this would please them.

I like the new uniform too and also think the grey suit is much better than the purple one. But I somehow have feeling that the new grey suit seems like a mixture of suit and 中山裝.

see the resemblance

Old December 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #2056
caelus

http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/c...ckgrounder.pdf

THE WING - CATHAY PACIFIC’S SIGNATURE LOUNGE

The Wing is Cathay Pacific’s flagship lounge at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA). It set a new standard in airline ground services when it opened in 1998, offering passengers unparalleled comfort and facilities. In 2010, following the successful opening of its brand-new lounge at HKIA, The Cabin, Cathay Pacific is continuing to invest in its ground product through a full-scale renovation and refurbishment of The Wing.

Like The Cabin, the new-look for The Wing has been created by London based architectural firm Foster + Partners. The uncluttered space, open ceiling and unobstructed views will remain the hallmarks of The Wing, making use of the finest natural materials. In addition to the signature granite, the new design incorporates elegant white marble and warm wood touches.
The Wing will continue to offer both First Class and Business Class lounges with the total lounge area expanded from the current 4,460 square metres to 4,857 sqm. The overall seating capacity will increase from 630 to 686 and there will be a significant increase in the number of showers in the First and Business Lounges – from 16 to 41. The revamped lounge will feature a wide variety of premium seating, including 45 Cathay Solus Chairs, Classic Chesterfields from Poltrona Frau, contemporary pieces from B&B Italia and Walter Knoll, as well as custom-made furniture exclusively designed for Cathay Pacific.

In addition to the hugely popular Noodle Bar in Business Class, a new Coffee Loft concept will be introduced along with an expanded hot and cold buffet. In First Class, a new Champagne Bar will serve welcome drinks in the reception lounge while The Haven restaurant will be expanded and offer an even greater range of a la carte dining options. The Haven will be twinned with the new Cocktail Bar, perfect for pre- or post-dinner drinks.

The new Wing will open in phases starting early 2011. When complete, it will set a new standard for premium airline hospitality on the ground.

image hosted on flickr

Taken by Malcolm Tredinnick
Old December 11th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #2057
caelus

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0007d21c39____

Best Chinese Food in the Air’ promotion takes Michelin dishes into the sky

Cathay Pacific’s latest “Best Chinese Food in the Air” promotion – “Chinese Chef Spectacular” brings Michelin starred and recommended cuisine to the air. The promotion runs over a six-month period and offers First and Business Class passengers the chance to taste creations from the following six renowned chefs in Hong Kong: (in alphabetical order)

Chef Chan Sui-kei
Celestial Court Chinese Restaurant, Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel and Towers
Chef Kenny Chan Kai-tak
Yunyan Sichuan Restaurant, The Miramar Group
Chef Cheng Kam-fu
Celebrity Cuisine
Chefs Lau Kin-wai & Lau Chun (father & son)
Kin’s Kitchen & Yellow Door Kitchen
Chef Li Shu-tim
One Harbour Road, Grand Hyatt Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant

In December 2010 and January 2011, passengers on selected Cathay Pacific flights from Hong Kong will be able to taste dishes by all the star chefs in this promotion.

In the newest edition of the Michelin Guide Hong Kong Macau 2010, three of the above six restaurants were awarded accolades. Celebrity Cuisine with Chef Cheng Kam-fu was awarded with one Michelin star; while Kin’s Kitchen with Chefs Lau Kin-wai and Lau Chun and Yunyan Sichuan Restaurant with Chef Kenny Chan Kai-tak continued to be recommended to readers as Bib Gourmand restaurants, offering good value for money.

Cathay Pacific Manager Catering Services Charles Grossrieder said: “We are pleased to continue offering passengers a great inflight dining experience through ‘Best Chinese Food in the Air’, which has been running for more than a decade. It is a great pleasure to work together with some of our home city’s most outstanding chefs. We are delighted that our partners are recognised by Michelin and we hope the passengers will enjoy this special dining experience.”

The “Best Chinese Food in the Air” concept was launched in 2000 with the aim of continuously enhancing the range and quality of Chinese food served on Cathay Pacific flights and, at the same time, promoting Hong Kong’s position as one of the world’s gourmet capitals. Over the past 10 years the airline has worked with renowned Hong Kong restaurants, chefs and food experts to create a series of Chinese food promotions that offer passengers a real taste of Hong Kong.

Chef Profiles:

Chef Chan Sui-kei
With 40 years of experience in Cantonese cuisine, Chef Chan Sui-kei’s talent in the kitchen shines through in the sophisticated Celestial Court Chinese Restaurant at the Sheraton Hong Kong. Chef Chan’s innovation, creativity and dedication have led to his receiving many awards in internationally acclaimed culinary competitions, including two Golds and one Platinum honour in the Hong Kong Food Festival Culinary Awards.

Chef Kenny Chan Kai-tak

Chef Kenny Chan Kai-tak, scion of a prominent family of Sichuan gourmet chefs, has over 40 years’ experience preparing authentic Sichuan dishes. He received The Chaîne des Rôtisseurs award as Chef Rôtisseurs and is the quintessential expert in preparing authentic Sichuan cuisine, using his expertise to choose the right ingredients and spices for his creations. Chef Chan has joined Yunyan Sichuan Restaurant of The Miramar Group since 2001.

Chef Cheng Kam-fu
For the last 20 years, Chef Cheng Kam-fu has established himself as one of the leading “private kitchen” chefs and has been dubbed the “secret cooking master”. With his mastery of technique and attention to detail, he has managed to turn familiar home cooking into innovative new dishes, while still maintaining the essence of traditional Chinese cuisine. Chef Cheng won the coveted Culinary King award in 2009.

Chef Lau Kin-wai
In 1998 Lau Kin-kai started a private dining restaurant, Yellow Door Kitchen, which became a pioneer in the trend towards smaller boutique eateries. In 2004 he established his second restaurant, Kin’s Kitchen, and in 2006 started Kin’s Terrace. Chef Lau believes that cooking nowadays is more diverse in terms of both the use of ingredients and techniques. His restaurants operate on the simple philosophy of using fresh market ingredients, cooking using traditional methods, and reviving authentic Chinese recipes.

Chef Lau Chun
With a special interest in ingredients and both traditional and modern cooking techniques, together with a flair for experimentation, Lau Chun – son of Lau Kin-wai - brings a more technical approach to cooking and the appreciation of food. He is presently helping to choose ingredients and design menus for Yellow Door Kitchen, Kin’s Kitchen and Kin’s Terrace.

Chef Li Shu-tim
Chef Li has been with the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong since it opened in 1989. He is the Chef de Cuisine for One Harbour Road, and is also responsible for planning the menus for the Chinese banquets in the hotel. He has been invited to present his cooking mastery and Hong Kong cuisine around the world. According to Chef Li, his cuisine is home-style Cantonese at its best - traditional dishes that are lovingly prepared and graciously presented.

Old December 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #2058
caelus

http://www.routesonline.com/news/36/...i-and-chicago/

HONG KONG TO MIDDLE EAST MARKET

Cathay Pacific will begin services to Abu Dhabi from June 2nd, 2011. The route will be operated on a four-times weekly basis with B777 aircraft (wrong), whereas the new service to Chicago will be operated daily on a non-stop basis from September 1st, 2011.

There is little O+D traffic between Hong Kong and Abu Dhabi, with Qatar Airways carrying the majority of passengers via Doha, however Cathay Pacific will be seeking to capture a share of the wider market to the Middle East which equated to over 327,000 O+D passengers between September 2009 and September 2010.

Cathay Pacific is already the market leader with a 29% share of the Hong Kong to Middle East market, followed by Emirates with a 27% share, Israeli flag carrier, El Al, with a 16% share, Qatar Airways with an 11% share and Saudi Arabian Airlines with a 7% share.

The leading O+D market from Hong Kong to the Middle East is not surprisingly Dubai, stimulated by Emirates existing service which accounts for 21% of all traffic from Hong Kong to the Middle East.

Over 248,000 of the total Hong Kong to Middle East market flew on non-stop services, demonstrating a large existing market that will be prepared to access Cathay Pacific’s Asian network via Hong Kong.

BLOCKING A POTENTIAL ETIHAD MOVE?

It is perhaps surprising that Etihad has not entered the Hong Kong market, and the move by Cathay could be seen as an opportunity to block any Etihad expansion there. The market will be primarily inbound with labourers filling the back of the cabin from Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines. Etihad would need to sell the United Kingdom to Hong Kong market work via Abu Dhabi for the route to succeed, however there is some reasonable trader traffic from Africa that will seek access to Hong Kong and the Guangdong Province potentially via Abu Dhabi. The Cathay move will make any Etihad plan to serve Hong Kong all the more difficult.

CATHAY SET FOR WINTER MOVE INTO CHICAGO

Announcing service to Chicago will mean that oneworld member Cathay Pacific will compete on the route with Star Alliance member United Airlines.

Cathay already operates a number of services to the US.The Hong Kong to US market is large with over 1.7 million passengers travelling during September 2009 and September 2010. The passenger share is listed by carrier in the table below:

Cathay Pacific
Passengers: 853,483
Market share: 50%

United Airlines
Passengers: 327,432
Market share: 19%

Continental Airlines
Passengers: 160,318
Market share: 9%

Singapore Airlines
Passengers: 123,742
Market share: 7%

Korean Air
Passengers: 57,345
Market share: 3%

Others
Passengers: 595,088
Market share: 12%

The new service will no doubt be bolstered by the codeshare agreement in place with partner American Airlines which will supply significant onward feed at its Chicago hub. Likewise, American Airlines passengers will be able to connect to a significant Cathay Pacific network in Hong Kong meaning the route should be balanced with two way traffic and a strong demand for business traffic.

Old December 14th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #2059
caelus

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0007d21c39____

Cathay Pacific releases combined traffic figures for November 2010

Cathay Pacific Airways today released combined Cathay Pacific and Dragonair traffic figures for November 2010 that showed an increase in the number of passengers and amount of cargo and mail carried compared to the same month last year, together with a significant increase in capacity.

Cathay Pacific and Dragonair carried a total of 2,181,995 passengers in November – up 8.7% on the same month in 2009. The passenger load factor was down by 1.5 percentage points to 80.5%, while capacity for the month, measured in available seat kilometres (ASKs), was up by 11.2%. For the year to date, the number of passengers carried is up 11.0% compared to an ASK rise of 4.6%.

The two airlines carried 153,572 tonnes of cargo and mail last month, up 8.4% on November last year. The cargo and mail load factor was down 5.2 percentage points to 71.6%, while capacity, measured in available cargo/mail tonne kilometres, was up by 21.6%. For the year to date, tonnage has grown by 18.7% and cargo/mail tonne kilometres by 23.9% compared to a capacity increase of 14.9%.

Cathay Pacific General Manager Revenue Management Tom Owen said: "Demand held up well across the network in November. There was a drop in the Economy Class load factor compared to the same month in 2009, as a result of the significant increase in capacity over the same period and the strengthening base we saw in November 2009. The Hong Kong market remained robust, and we continued to see good passenger demand on our China routes and within the region. Premium demand saw an increase in revenue quality and volumes across most routes when compared to the same period in 2009."

Cathay Pacific General Manager Cargo Sales & Marketing James Woodrow said: "The cargo peak season continued throughout November with good demand and yields out of Hong Kong on all key routes. The load factor remained high, despite a big increase in capacity year on year, helped by good support from our contract agent partners. We operated according to our full freighter schedule and continued to mount extra sectors and charters where possible in line with market demand."

Old December 15th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #2060
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Cathay pilots earn much less than peers, union says
12 December 2010
South China Morning Post

Pay talks between Cathay Pacific and its pilots begin tomorrow, with the pilots' union arguing they earn millions of dollars less over their careers than cockpit crew with competitor airlines like Emirates.

The Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association also says meeting the pilots' pay demands would only cost passengers HK$1.50 per flying hour.

The union, which wants pay rises of more than 30 per cent over four years for Cathay pilots, says a big difference in pay levels with rival airlines has developed over the past decade.

Pilots have voted overwhelmingly to give the union the authority to declare a work-to-rule which it believes could disrupt Christmas flights if five days of talks with management from tomorrow fail to reach an agreement.

In a circular to members ahead of the talks, the union says emergency landings on a Surabaya to Hong Kong flight in April when engines malfunctioned and in Kazakhstan after a depressurisation incident last month highlight the value of Cathay pilots.

"We carry between 250 and 400 passengers {hellip} in aircraft costing anywhere between US$100-250 million into typhoons, through fog and over treacherous terrain in some of the most challenging airspace in the world," the union circular says.

"We are expected to deal with emergency depressurisations over some of the most inhospitable terrain on the planet.

"We are expected to deal with emergencies we haven't trained for, such as one engine stuck at idle while another is stuck at 70 per cent on a twin-engined aircraft."

Cathay Pacific said it was disappointed at the vote in favour of a work-to-rule, saying it did not create "an appropriate atmosphere in which to commence negotiations".

The airline said it has always paid market salaries but stressed in a statement responding to the vote: "We have to be mindful of the enormous cyclical variations in fortunes in the aviation business.

"It would be irresponsible to set reward levels at unrealistically high and unsustainable levels just because times are good today."

The average Cathay pilot is paid HK$5 per flying hour by each passenger, and the union's pay claim would cost each passenger an extra HK$1.50 per hour per pilot, the circular says.

"So we are asking each passenger to pay their pilots HK$1.50 more to ensure that they receive the same level of professional service they have grown accustomed to receiving from Cathay Pacific pilots," it says.

"Is HK$1.50 extra per pilot per passenger per hour a lot? This increase would be phased in over three years. Currently most passengers are paying over HK$40 per hour just in fuel surcharges."

The union says Cathay pilot pay lagged behind most comparable airlines like Emirates and Qantas when pay talks began in 2007. In a circular to members, it says: "Now we are further behind."

It cites the example of two pilots who joined Cathay and Emirates in 2000. The Emirates pilot was now a captain with a tax-free salary of HK$91,000 a month while the Cathay pilot was a first officer on HK$81,000 before tax. "In after-tax terms he is over 17 per cent better off than his Cathay peer," it says. "In the first 10 years an Emirates pilot would take home over 35 per cent more in after-tax dollars than his Cathay Pacific peer.

"By the end of their careers, the Emirates pilot would have received HK$10 million more than his Cathay Pacific peer."

It concludes: "In 2007, we demonstrated that Cathay Pacific remuneration was below that of many of its comparator airlines. While we appreciate that negotiations are not always simple, given that the gap has increased since 2007, we see no reason for any further prevarication on offering a meaningful pay rise."

Currently, Cathay pilots on the common B-scale pay system earn between HK$33,179 for a newly recruited second officer to HK$144,000 a month for a captain with 19 years' service. Expatriate pilots, who make up around 46 per cent of Hong Kong-based pilots, also get housing allowances of HK$24,000 to HK$60,000 and have 75 per cent of their children's overseas schooling costs paid.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld