daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #2061
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

image hosted on flickr

Taken by Kok Vermeulen
caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #2062
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

By TAP from HKADB :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #2063
caelus

image hosted on flickr

Taken by ansonchan19
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2064
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay hit hard by industry outlook concerns
16 December 2010
China Daily - Hong Kong Edition

The share price of Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd, Hong Kong's biggest carrier, plunged more than 7 percent Wednesday on concerns that rising fuel prices and economic uncertainty in the West will dramatically pull down industry earnings in 2011.

The drop occurred after the release of an unfavorable industry report from the International Air Transport Association (IATA).

The share price of Cathay closed at HK$22 Wednesday, down 7.17 percent from the previous trading day. It fell as low as HK$21.55 during trading, posting the biggest single-day drop in nearly two years.

Airlines across the board all suffered losses Wednesday, with Cathay Pacific leading the way. The share price of Air China Ltd, the nation's largest international carrier and part-owned by Cathay, lost 5.74 percent to HK$8.37. China Southern Airlines Ltd closed at HK$4.52, down 3.83 percent.

IATA Chief Executive Officer Giovanni Bisignani said in Geneva on Tuesday that airlines in 2011 may post a 40 percent decline in combined profit to $9.1 billion from $15.1 billion this year. The profit margin will fall by almost half to 1.5 percent, while revenue is set to grow 5.8 percent to $598 billion, said Bisignani.

"The recovery cycle will pause in 2011. Although the $9.1 billion profit projection for 2011 is better than we had previously forecast, next year the industry will face tougher conditions than what we are experiencing today," he said.

IATA's previous global profit forecasts for 2010 and 2011, made in September, were $8.9 billion and $5.3 billion respectively.

Defining what they mean by "tougher conditions", the industry group referred to slower economic growth, higher fuel costs and austerity measures in Europe.

Crude oil was trading at $87.4 per barrel in New York on December 15 at press time. Prices have risen 27 percent in the past 12 months.

Kelvin Lau, an aviation analyst at Daiwa Institute of Research in Hong Kong, thinks that the IATA remarks should not be taken as final as they always change their estimates and lag behind the market.

Lau said that prior to the IATA news, the market had been too optimistic.

Lau thinks that oil prices should not be a major concern right now, as it is only rising gradually rather than the surge from $100 to $150 per barrel that was seen in 2008. He predicted that industry growth will return to a normal cycle after a bumper 2010 and probably will register single-digit growth. "Cathay will be in line with industry growth prospects in 2011," Lau said.

Cathay's November passenger traffic rose 8.7 percent, the slowest expansion in at least four months, and freight volume gained 8.4 percent. The company forecast in mid November that its 2010 full-year profit will be at least HK$12.5 billion, following profit of HK$4.69 billion in 2009 and a loss of HK$8.70 billion in 2008.

Meanwhile, mainland-based airlines are plagued by concerns that a wider high-speed rail network there may ultimately snatch some market share from airlines in the future, some market watchers said.

The Central Government is putting much effort into building this network in order to foster more balanced development in the national economy.

Bloomberg contributed to this story.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2065
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

CX has been running a series of ads on ChannelNewsAsia in SG lately here are a few:

I think these ads are great they show the pesonalised seRvice you get on CX!!
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #2066
hkskyline
Hong Kong

These commercials have been running on the BBC for a long time now.

Old December 16th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #2067
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Oh i didnt know dont watch BBC. They only just started running on CNA last month followed by the news which is said to be presented by CX also.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #2068
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrooms View Post
Oh i didnt know dont watch BBC. They only just started running on CNA last month followed by the news which is said to be presented by CX also.
I also recall they have been on CNN for a while as well.

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #2069
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
I also recall they have been on CNN for a while as well.
Nope dont watch CNN either.................................
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #2070
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

For me, I think these 4 are the best CX TV ads I ever seen

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2071
Vrooms
threeyearson.

I like the first one you posted the most followed by the new ads i posted.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #2072
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Quote:
I like the first one you posted the most followed by the new ads i posted.
As for the promotion of their personalised service, I think this one is quite interesting
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #2073
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Yeah that one is great too!! This one didnt air isn Singapore though.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #2074
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Quote:
Yeah that one is great too!! This one didnt air isn Singapore though.
I hope the quality of service showed in their TV ads can be seen in EVERY flights also.

CX Mobile for iPad Demo Video

On the iPhone and iPad, it lets you check in, get flight schedules, check flight status, and manage your bookings -- and with the iPad app, you can even book flights.

CX Mobile also features City Guides -- essential tips, insights and information on some 70 of our most popular destinations. And Meet The Team -- interviews with nearly 100 Cathay Pacific staff who serve.

CX Mobile for iPad is free and you can find out more at www.cathaypacific.com/CXMobile.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #2075
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitak747 View Post
I hope the quality of service showed in their TV ads can be seen in EVERY flights also.
I hope so too!! It would be great if they can.

Quote:
On the iPhone and iPad, it lets you check in, get flight schedules, check flight status, and manage your bookings -- and with the iPad app, you can even book flights.

CX Mobile also features City Guides -- essential tips, insights and information on some 70 of our most popular destinations. And Meet The Team -- interviews with nearly 100 Cathay Pacific staff who serve.

CX Mobile for iPad is free and you can find out more at www.cathaypacific.com/CXMobile.
I noticed the CX app also infact i already have it on my iphone. Its great!! Changi Airport also has an app i think they are all really useful. Hope SQ comes up with one soon.
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #2076
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Quote:

Quote:
I think it's because SQ and CX both added one more daily flight in HK-SG route, so CX has to increase their exposure to maximise the market share.

Quote:

I noticed the CX app also infact i already have it on my iphone. Its great!! Changi Airport also has an app i think they are all really useful. Hope SQ comes up with one soon.
Really? let me check out the Changi one
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #2077
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Quote:
I think it's because SQ and CX both added one more daily flight in HK-SG route, so CX has to increase their exposure to maximise the market share.
Not sure if SQ added a flight but i know CX now has 7 flights to Hong Kong including the one via Bangkok flight while SQ has only 6 flights.

Quote:
Really? let me check out the Changi one
Not really as interactive as CX but its still useful.
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #2078
hkskyline
Hong Kong

From the American press :

Cathay Pacific makes Chicago first new U.S. city since 1998
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...1?csp=34travel
By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

Cathay Pacific will begin flying to Chicago O'Hare on Sept. 1, the Hong Kong-based carrier's first new American destination since 1998. The carrier also will grow its existing schedule between Hong Kong and both New York and Toronto.

For Chicago, Cathay Pacific will fly one daily round-trip flight to Hong Kong on Boeing 777-300ER jets. In the United States, the airline also flies from Hong Kong to Los Angeles, New York JFK and San Francisco.

"We are extremely excited about being able to expand our network in 2011 with new service to Chicago," Cathay Pacific CEO Tony Tyler says in a press release. "As Hong Kong's home carrier, we are pleased to link these two great cities together to meet the demand for both business and leisure travel."

Cathay Pacific's Chicago service will put it into head-to-head competition with United, a member of the Star Alliance.

Cathay Pacific, of course, is a member of the rival oneworld alliance. Since O'Hare is a major hub for oneworld partner American Airlines, the route should help Cathay Pacific tap into AA's North American customer base. Conversely, AA should be able to connect Cathay Pacific passengers arriving from Hong Kong to other North American destinations via its O'Hare hub.

In its release announcing the service, Cathay Pacific says it "intends to launch codeshare services with American Airlines from its new Chicago gateway and looks forward to announcing details in the near future."

Scott Mowrer, Cathay Pacific's senior vice president for the Americas, says in the release: "We will be tapping into the inherent commerce and trade of a metropolitan area of more than 9 million people and, through the O'Hare hub operations of our oneworld alliance partner, American Airlines, we will be providing people throughout the Midwest with a more robust gateway to Asia – especially mainland China – through the growing network of Cathay Pacific and our sister airline, Dragonair."

Elsewhere, Cathay Pacific says it will expand its New York JFK-Hong Kong schedule with a third non-stop flight. That will begin on March 27 as three -days-a-week service (Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays) before becoming daily on May 2.

The airline currently flies two nonstop flights between JFK and Hong Kong as well as one daily flight to Hong Kong via Vancouver, Canada. Cathay Pacific says all of these services will continue when the new flights are added on May 2.

Cathay Pacific's Toronto-Hong Kong route will get two more flights starting May 1, turning it into a double-daily service.

Old December 16th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #2079
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Cathay Pacific Airways staged an event at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) to highlight the state-of-the-art features of the new Cathay Pacific Cargo Terminal. With a development cost of approximately HK$5.5 billion, the facility marks a significant investment in Hong Kong and underlines the airline's continued commitment to developing the city's position as a global aviation and airfreight hub

Old December 16th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #2080
caelus

image hosted on flickr

Taken by hushour

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld