daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #2121
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...1-outlook.html

Cathay Pacific Says China's Emergence as Travel Market Boosts 2011 Outlook

Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd., Hong Kong’s biggest carrier, is “reasonably confident” about 2011 as economic growth in China spurs travel and cargo demand.

“The emergence of China as a travel market is going to be one of the big stories of the decade,” Chief Operating Officer John Slosar said today in an interview in Hong Kong. “Also, consumer demand in China is starting to pull in high-value goods.”

The airline expects to begin operations at a Shanghai-based air-cargo venture with affiliate Air China Ltd. by next month at the latest, Slosar said, as exports of electronics and imports of luxury goods spur freight volumes. The carrier will also boost passenger capacity 11 percent this year as China growth stokes demand for business and leisure flights.

“Hong Kong is still very much an important gateway,” said K. Ajith, a Singapore-based analyst at UOB-Kay Hian Research Pte., who upgraded Cathay to ‘buy’ today. “It’s a financial center and its premium traffic should be strong.”

Cathay said in December that it will spend at least HK$1 billion ($129 million) upgrading business-class cabins and services to woo premium travelers.

The company is also “seriously considering” offering premium-economy seats, said Slosar, who will succeed Tony Tyler as Cathay’s chief executive officer in April. Tyler is set to become the head of the International Air Transport Association.

Cathay rose as much as 2.5 percent to HK$22.30 in Hong Kong trading and was at HK$22.15 as of 11:50 a.m. The stock rose 48 percent in 2010, compared with a 5.3 percent gain for the benchmark Hang Seng Index.

‘Perfect Position’

The airline carried 24.5 million passengers in the first 11 months of 2010, an 11 percent increase. Full-year profit likely surpassed HK$12.5 billion, more than double the year-earlier figure, boosted by rebounding travel demand and the sale of stakes in an air-cargo handler and a maintenance company, the carrier said in a Nov. 15 statement.

“2011 is early days so far but we’re reasonably confident about prospects,” Slosar said in a Bloomberg TV interview. Being based next to China “is just the perfect position.”

China was last year on course to become the world’s largest exporter and second-biggest importer, with expected total foreign trade of $2.9 trillion, Xinhua News Agency said Dec. 16, citing Chinese Commerce Minister Chen Deming.

Cargo Boost

Cathay will boost its cargo capacity about 8 percent this year, Slosar said. The airline is due to receive six Boeing Co. 747-8 freighters in the second half. The planes, part of an order for 10, are arriving later than planned because of production delays. Cathay surpassed Korean Air Lines Co. as the world’s largest international air-freight carrier in the first nine months of last year.

The carrier’s cargo venture with Air China will face competition from Shanghai-based China Eastern Airlines Corp., which last month won backing from venture partners to consolidate different cargo businesses. Singapore Airlines Ltd. and Taiwan-based EVA Airways Corp. will also boost their investments as part of the restructuring, which will streamline China Eastern’s operations following a takeover.

caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #2122
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

http://www.discuss.com.hk/viewthread...extra=page%3D1
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #2123
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Question to Kaitak747 or to any forumer who is familiar with Cathay Pacific flights and operations.

My question is this:
We flew Cathay Pacific from Philippines to America back in April-May 2010. Here were the following routes:
-MNL->HKG
-HKG->SFO
-LAX->HKG
-HKG->MNL

During all these four flights during our entire trip, the CX plane had Studio CX with AVOD (whatever they call it). This was in Economy class

Yet

During our recent year-ender trips to Taiwan and Hong Kong
-MNL->HKG
-HKG->TPE
-TPE->HKG
-HKG->MNL

In these four flights, AVOD was not available. We also rode on Economy class as well.

With those in mind, I'd like to ask the following questions:
-How come our other CX flights had AVOD yet in our recent flight, AVOD was not available???
-Is there or are there condition(s) in our flight in order for us to merit AVOD?
-Is AVOD available only on select Cathay Pacific flights? If so, how do we know which flights have them and which don't?
-Is there an on-going upgrade program where current CX planes are being upgraded with AVOD gradually? Was it that the planes that we rode have not yet been installed with AVOD??? (though they could have)
-Could we have had AVOD if we were seated in Business Class instead (on our MNL<->HKG and HKG<->TPE flights)
-Were we just unlucky? (that our plane didn't have AVOD installed atm)

So there. Any comments, opinions, answers, suggestions, inputs and etc. are obviously welcome

P.S.
Another question although not related to AVOD

I'm a member of Asia Miles and I'm saving enough money to sign-up for the MARCO POLO CLUB (once I get my own credit card)

My question is regarding the renewal process:
It says that aside from the USD$50 annual fee, I also need to obtain FOUR Club Sectors (as mentioned below):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay_...arco_Polo_Club

What are these so-called 'Club Sectors'???

That's all........
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2124
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

It's a hit and miss. I've flown MNL-HKG with AVOD, but not all planes are equipped with the new Y/J arrangement even now, so I'm not surprised if you encounter an old plane with old entertainment systems. It really depends on what aircraft happens to be deployed that day, but I suspect regional routes are more likely to use older aircraft.

I recently encountered an old aircraft with the recline J seats for a long overnight flight. No AVOD either. Cathay staff took great strides to apologize and offer perks to keep me happy.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #2125
caelus

Club sectors are the no. of flights you have taken with CX, for example:

HKG---MNL counted as 1 sector

HKG---MNL---HKG counted as 2 sector

MNL---HKG---PEK counted as 2 sector as well

Last edited by caelus; January 5th, 2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #2126
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Reach for the sky with city's flag carrier
31 December 2010
South China Morning Post

To support operational requirements and expansion plans, Cathay Pacific is to recruit about 250 cadet pilots next year.

"We are looking for people with a genuine interest in aircraft and flying who will make good representatives of Cathay Pacific," says Kelly Crawford, the airline's flight crew recruitment manager. "We are seeking candidates who can mix well with others and demonstrate leadership qualities. Also, as the training is extensive and sometimes tough, we look for self-motivation and perseverance to cope with the challenges."

Applicants need not have flying experience as their flight licence will be fully funded. After completing the 13-week course at Flight Training Adelaide, cadets will become second officers and are considered an integral part of the flight crew. The second officer acts as a cruise relief pilot, monitors all facets of the operation and supports the crew. They work on Cathay Pacific's fleet of Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, and Airbus A340-300 and A330-300 aircraft, operating worldwide on long-haul routes.

"This is a career path with a goal to becoming a captain, and the chance to be a very important member of our team. Joining our cadet pilot programme means committing yourself to an exacting and exciting career with one of the most admired airlines in the world," Crawford says. "The responsibilities and the ensuing rewards are enormous. This could be your chance to fulfil those childhood dreams of flying."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #2127
caelus

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0007d21c39____

Cathay Pacific rolls out electronic air waybills in Hong Kong,marking important step in transition to e-freight

Cathay Pacific Airways today announced that it has implemented the rollout of 100% electronic air waybills (e-AWB) in Hong Kong – an important step in the move towards creating a paperless environment in the airfreight industry.

On 1 January, Cathay Pacific became the first airline operating out of Hong Kong to fully switch to e-AWB, eliminating the need for all paper documents when issuing air waybills – the shipping documents used for the transportation of airfreight. The Cathay Pacific Cargo team worked hard with agents and freight forwarders to ensure readiness for the introduction of the electronic process.

The e-AWB initiative covers all online destinations from Hong Kong to which Cathay Pacific and sister airline Dragonair fly. The airline plans to implement 100% e-AWB from all its overseas stations by the end of 2012. The benefits of e-freight included shortening the shipping cycle, reduced costs, faster customs clearance, the elimination of problems resulting from loss or misplaced documents, and reduced paper usage.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) selected nine countries/territories and airlines in which to run the e-AWB pilot programme, including Hong Kong and Cathay Pacific. Electronic freight is one of the initiatives under IATA’s Simplifying the Business programme, which aims to change the way the air transport industry operates and result in better service for cargo operators and lower costs for the industry. IATA targets to have 100% e-AWB globally by the end of 2014.

Cathay Pacific Director Cargo Nick Rhodes said: “We are proud to see the implementation of this important milestone for air cargo in the electronic era. The e-AWB programme will simplify the current process and bring improved operational efficiency and accuracy for the airfreight industry in Hong Kong, helping it to play a leading role in the industry worldwide. The programme could not have been implemented without the great support of agents and forwarders in Hong Kong.”
Old January 5th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #2128
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

The full version of the old theme song of Cathay Pacific

亞洲脈搏亞洲心 The Heart of Asia
坂本龍一

This song was used since the current company logo and livery unveiled

Old January 5th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #2129
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelus View Post
Club sectors are the no. of flights you have taken with CX, for example:

HKG---MNL counted as 1 sector

HKG---MNL---HKG counted as 2 sector

HKG---MNL---PEK counted as 2 sector as well

Ah okay.
So two round trip flights = four total flights minimum for a given year is enough to retain Marco Polo Status? Ah okay
1) MNL->HKG
2) HKG->TPE
3) TPE->HKG
4) HKG->MNL

Total: four club sectors

Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
It's a hit and miss. I've flown MNL-HKG with AVOD, but not all planes are equipped with the new Y/J arrangement even now, so I'm not surprised if you encounter an old plane with old entertainment systems. It really depends on what aircraft happens to be deployed that day, but I suspect regional routes are more likely to use older aircraft.

I recently encountered an old aircraft with the recline J seats for a long overnight flight. No AVOD either. Cathay staff took great strides to apologize and offer perks to keep me happy.
Oh I see.

But do you think or know if there is an on-going upgrade process or renovation/refurbishment as of the moment? yes? no?

Also, do you think it's tied with my destination? Maybe the final destination has to be a long-haul one? (in order for both stop-over and connecting flight to have AVOD???)

Cause our first CX stopover flight of the year had AVOD........but the second one didn't.

Hmm..........
So maybe the type of final destination matters? (comparing TPE and America SFO + LAX)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2130
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific to Rely on Long-Haul Aircraft to Expand Operations in Asia
By Wing-Gar Cheng - Jan 4, 2011
Bloomberg

Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd., Hong Kong’s biggest carrier, plans to boost operations in Asia with the “intelligent misuse” of long-haul aircraft rather than building up a fleet of single-aisle planes.

The carrier will continue flying widebody planes on Asian routes as these aircraft would otherwise be idle during the day after making overnight intercontinental trips, outgoing Chief Executive Officer Tony Tyler said in an interview yesterday in Hong Kong. The airline last year ordered 36 Airbus SAS A350 and Boeing Co. 777-300ERs to expand its fleet.

“A lot of the capacity for these long-haul aircraft will be used in the region,” said Tyler, who will leave Cathay on March 31 to become head of the International Air Transport Association. “What we’ve done over the years, quite successfully, is what we called the intelligent misuse of aircraft.”

The carrier will transfer some widebody A330s from its mainline fleet to regional unit Hong Kong Dragon Airlines Ltd. as it boosts China services, Tyler said. By largely shunning narrowbodies, the carrier pares costs and increases capacity for carrying passengers and freight on regional routes, he said.

“It’s prudent for Cathay to put capacity in Asia where there’s growing demand,” said Kelvin Lau, an analyst at Daiwa Capital Markets Hong Kong Ltd., who has a “holding” rating on the carrier. “The U.S. and European markets aren’t recovering as quickly at this stage and uncertainties over demand remain.”

Visitor arrivals in China, the world’s fastest growing major economy, rose 5.9 percent in the first 11 months of 2010.

New Planes

Cathay Pacific is due to take delivery of nine widebody passenger planes this year -- three Airbus A330-300s and six Boeing 777-300ERs -- helping it boost capacity about 11 percent. As of June, the carrier’s mainline unit operated 128 planes, all of which were widebodies. Dragonair had a fleet of 30 planes, including 16 single-aisle aircraft. These planes are generally used to start services on new routes, Tyler said.

“I don’t see Dragonair becoming a huge operator of narrowbodys,” he said. “The economics of those aircraft are not great.”

Cathay rose 3 percent to close at HK$22.40 in Hong Kong yesterday. The stock climbed 48 percent in 2010, compared with a 5.3 percent gain for the benchmark Hang Seng Index.

The airline has so far rejected ordering Airbus’s double- decker A380 to instead build its fleet around 777s. The carrier opted for these smaller aircraft as they let it offer greater frequencies on long-haul routes, Tyler said.

The airline may eventually look at adding A380s, especially if Toulouse, France-based Airbus can make the plane more efficient through the addition of new engines or the introduction of a stretched version, Tyler said.

“We would like to see it improve as an aircraft,” he said. Still, “I’m sure Cathay Pacific will one day have another really good look at it.”

Old January 5th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2131
caelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Ah okay.
So two round trip flights = four total flights minimum for a given year is enough to retain Marco Polo Status? Ah okay
1) MNL->HKG
2) HKG->TPE
3) TPE->HKG
4) HKG->MNL

Total: four club sectors

Correct?

Oh I see.

But do you think or know if there is an on-going upgrade process or renovation/refurbishment as of the moment? yes? no?

Also, do you think it's tied with my destination? Maybe the final destination has to be a long-haul one? (in order for both stop-over and connecting flight to have AVOD???)

Cause our first CX stopover flight of the year had AVOD........but the second one didn't.

Hmm..........
So maybe the type of final destination matters? (comparing TPE and America SFO + LAX)
Yup, 4 sectors, and more than that if you ride on J/F class, see here for more details:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_.../mpo/clubmiles

And by the way, if I remember correctly, you don't have to obtain 4 sectors for applying for the MPC green tier, all you have to do is to pay the membership fee, the 4 sectors requirement is for renewal only. Having said that, i dont see the point of flying 4 sectors just to renew your green tier, a green tier is nothing but an id card, it gives literally no privileges to the holder, comparing with higher tiers.

While there is no way to track down which short haul routes will they deploy long haul fleet on, it happens more often on afternoon routes, because the majority of their long haul flights depart at night, so sometimes they use idled long haul fleet for short haul routes during day time.

Last edited by caelus; January 5th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #2132
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By Eddie_Wong from a Hong Kong discussion forum :

Old January 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #2133
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5210/...7c4d6bac_b.jpg
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #2134
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by caelus View Post
Yup, 4 sectors, and more than that if you ride on J/F class, see here for more details:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_.../mpo/clubmiles

And by the way, if I remember correctly, you don't have to obtain 4 sectors for applying for the MPC green tier, all you have to do is to pay the membership fee, the 4 sectors requirement is for renewal only. Having said that, i dont see the point of flying 4 sectors just to renew your green tier, a green tier is nothing but an id card, it gives literally no privileges to the holder, comparing with higher tiers.

While there is no way to track down which short haul routes will they deploy long haul fleet on, it happens more often on afternoon routes, because the majority of their long haul flights depart at night, so sometimes they use idled long haul fleet for short haul routes during day time.
Even Green members get to check-in at the special Marco Polo counters, which usually don't have a lot of people lining up. You also get to board with the J/F passengers first.

Old January 5th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #2135
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Old January 6th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2136
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/piclist/2010071...705454890.html

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #2137
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5043/...685c4ffe_b.jpg

image hosted on flickr

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5081/...61c7fbdf_b.jpg
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #2138
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/piclist/2011010...019218044.html

Old January 7th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #2139
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Airline spreads wings, trims costs
How Cathay Pacific Airways charted a plan to expand operations, generate new revenue and preserve its customer service culture
16 December 2010
The Globe and Mail

The Background

Cathay Pacific Airways operates passenger and cargo services to 138 destinations in 38 countries worldwide, including code shares and joint ventures. In 2009, the company and its sister airline, Dragonair, carried nearly 25 million passengers and more than 1.5 million tons of cargo.

Based in Hong Kong, Cathay Pacific operates in an environment that provides no bankruptcy protection or other forms of government support. Competition is stiff, which is evidenced by the hundreds of airline companies that have failed in recent decades. Many of the expenses of running an airline are fixed, leaving very few competitive differentiators between airlines. One of Cathay Pacific’s competitive advantages, however, is its hallmark level of customer service, which is supported by a strong “service straight from the heart” corporate culture.

The Challenges

Maintaining a high level of customer service can be a challenge in times of economic uncertainty. Moreover, Cathay Pacific has forecasted significant growth in demand in both its passenger and cargo markets. How can a company preserve a customer-service culture while simultaneously expanding operations to new markets and trimming costs?

To address the challenge, Cathay Pacific in North America joined forces with Sauder School of Business Executive Education to co-design a strategic leadership development program. Through themes that included innovation and creativity, entrepreneurism, leadership and integration, the program was designed to help Cathy’s managers “make connections” in order to improve organizational performance and enhance individual effectiveness.

A key goal of this custom training was to break down silos by sensitizing managers about the ripple effects of decisions. The overall objective was to integrate Cathy Pacific’s many different business functions, its people, and its strategy.

The program brought together a diverse range of managers. As part of the Swire group, Cathay Pacific extended access to the training to other group companies in North America, including their bottling division, Swire Coca-Cola USA and US Cold Storage. Middle and upper managers from different locations, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Toronto, were flown to Vancouver to participate.

Cathay Pacific had a number of targets they wanted to hit, including:

bring managers together from across the organization and have them get to know each other on a person-to-person basisshare best practices and learn how different businesses have dealt with challenges.train managers in the latest in business acumen and supply them with knowledge they need to understand how major business disciplines - like strategy, accounting, operations logistics, information technology, marketing, and leadership fit togetherhave managers learn the process of developing innovative ideas, and how to bring these ideas to senior company decision makers

The Outcomes

Cathay Pacific’s objectives were achieved through exercises that had managers work together on projects and cases in diverse teams. The teams developed business plans for new innovations that were then presented to key company executives.

The most immediate payoff was that managers gained a deeper and broader appreciation of the company’s vision, mission, and strategy. They made connections between the different parts of the group and within the individual businesses, which can help any complex company run more smoothly. The managers also made important personal connections with each other, so that they now “know” the human face on the other end of the telephone line or email message.

Company executives were presented with numerous innovative opportunities to add value in terms of generating new revenue, saving resources, building culture, and providing even greater customer service. Many of these innovations have since been further developed and implemented, and many of the program’s participants have gone on to assume positions of greater responsibility within the company.

In summary, in the same way passengers need to make connections to get to their destinations, making connections is an operational imperative for any successful organization, particularly with increasing competition and complexity. Leadership training is the critical mechanism to get any organization from where it is now to where it needs to go.

Daniel Skarlicki is a professor at the Sauder School of Business (http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/) of the University of Briitsh Columbia. This is the latest in a regular series of case studies by a rotating group of business professors from across the country. They appear every Friday on the Your Business website.

Old January 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #2140
caelus

image hosted on flickr

Taken by namcys11

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld