daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #2361
caelus

Likes (Received): 5

http://asia.businesstraveller.com/tr...business-class

Cathay Pacific New 773ER business class review

BACKGROUND: This review was conducted, not on a regular commercial flight but on the recent special flight of a new Boeing 777-300ER, which departed from the Boeing plant in Everett, Seattle – documented as the biggest building in the world by volume at 13,385.378sqm – to Cathay Pacific’s Hong Kong base.

It is the third aircraft, following the earlier arrival of an Airbus A330 and a B777-300ER, to feature the much-awaited next-generation business class seats. More are scheduled to arrive during the year and in succeeding years until you find them on all long-haul services.

Aircraft pick ups are interesting experiences. In the mid-1990s, I was twice fortunate to witness CX and another Asian airline take delivery of their “babies” at the Airbus facility in Toulouse, where the plant tour opened my eyes to the intricate and amazing process required to produce our flying machines.

Some 15 years later, the Boeing visit proved just as fascinating, especially with today’s improved technology that has resulted in lighter, faster and more fuel efficient models. If you have the time and happen to be in France or Seattle, it would be worth dropping by the factories, and if the children are with you, bring them along – they will be talking about the visitfor weeks. In China, both Airbus and Boeing have assembly facilities in Tianjin’s Binhai special economic zone, which are also open to the public.

CHECK-IN: After the ribbon cutting, performed by new CX chief executive officer John Slosar (with Boeing vice-president and general manager of 777 programme Larry Loftis at his side) and countless photo taking of the gleaming aircraft on the sunny tarmac – ourselves on the staircase with the red carpet leading up to the cabin and ourselves again with the help of a ladder put in place by a patient technician in front of the humongous GE90 engine, it was time to head back to the Delivery Center building for processing for this special flight CX3337, departing at 5pm, April 29, 2011.

Earlier, our check-in baggage had been taken from us, so it was a matter of checking passports and issuing boarding passes.

I made sure to return to the airline staff the white departure card from US immigration. Failure to do so creates problems in the future as I found out when I once forgot to hand it back and returned to the US a few months after that trip.

BOARDING: The carry ons went through the scanner, and thankfully, I was not required to remove my Mac from its case. One of the technical staff immediately volunteered to help carry that bulky laptop trolley up the long flight of stairs, which was such a relief as I had my knapsack, coat and two plastic bags with souvenirs to handle as well.

I was assigned business class seat 20K. One of the flight attendants led me through first class, which featured rows 1 and 2 (configuration 1-1-1, identified as A-D-K) and the first section of business class, which had two rows as well, 11 and 12 (configured 1-2-1, identified as A-DG-K) to the second section of business class, which had 12 rows (15 to 26) and to my window seat. Once there, she took my overcoat and a colleague of hers soon approached with a tray of drinks, which, unfortunately, did not feature CX’s signature kiwi smoothie. Shanghai Tang pajamas in gray were handed out a little after.

As there was time to explore before take off, I visited economy, which was divided into two sections, featuring 14 rows (30 to 44) in the first and 13 rows (55 to 67) in the second (configured 3-3-3, identified as ABC-DEG-HJK). The most legroom is to be found in rows 32 and 55, which are also positioned nearest the exit doors. I peeked in on the crew rest area, one for the pilots above first class – complete with two seats and two bunks – and the flight attendants’ bunks above economy class. I lay down on one of them, and found it so comfortable that I almost didn’t want to leave.

THE SEAT: Customer interest in CX’s new business class seats is running high, primarily because the previous product line – still widely available on a number of aircraft such as the B747-300 and A340 – generated quite a bit of adverse reaction. But since the new-generation seats were unveiled in a laser-studded presentation last December before 3,000 guests at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, comments from a sampling of those who saw them then and passengers, who have tried them out on the Hong Kong-Sydney and Hong Kong-New York services, have been consistently favourable.

The herringbone layout has been retained, but the sharp lines of the dividers in the old seats have been replaced with curvier paneling. Seats along the windows are offset from the middle seats and face the windows, with wing like headboards heightening the sense of exclusivity. The companion seats in the middle are angled toward each other, but privacy can still maintained in two ways. First, the seat is within a recess, and unless you press an innovative lever that brings it forward so you can see the other person, you need never address that individual in the next space. Second, there is a spring-loaded cabinet door (this area contains the noise-cancelling headset), which when opened can also act as a screen, although I would prefer not to use it since the door is not steady and there is a vanity mirror at the back of it, and I would be too conscious of seeing my face each time I moved. Window seats also come with the movement lever, which is used to bring the passenger closer to the tray table.

Studying the seat as a whole and its myriad features – given that I had over 10 hours between Seattle and Hong Kong to pore over it – I concluded it seamlessly combined work and rest functions. Why? I am a “spreader” – I like to line up my research documents beside me, allowing me to pull out something I need while tapping on my Mac, and the sideboard along the window wall provided a handy place to put these files, plus a drink, without any fear of spilling it onto any sensitive hardware. The tray table accommodated my 13-inch MacBook Pro with even enough space for the ceramic container holding my e-fu noodles, and it wasn’t bouncy at all as most tray tables are. But what I found helpful was it swung from under the sidetable and folded out, instead of having to be pulled out from under the armrest, a task, which sometimes I have to help the flight attendant with. And if you are like me who wants as much of her/his personal accessories about them during the trip, this new seat has storage space galore. There is a small shoe cupboard at the bottom aisle side and a cavity under the side counter to hold a toiletries kit, laptop, tablet or books together with a mesh pouch for a mineral water bottle or spectacles but which can only be placed there after take off. Meanwhile, the cabinet with headphones can take in smaller items. Just remember to conduct a thorough sweep of the various nooks and crannies before leaving the aircraft though or some valuables are in danger of being left behind.

As in the old business class, seat position controls (levers now, not buttons), IFE controls, universal power outlet and iPhone/iPod/iPad sockets, plus an adjustable mini reading light (a second reading light is overhead), are clustered in a shoulder level space for more convenience. The 15-inch TV monitor easily pops out when you a press a metallic button on the side.

Another innovation, CX proudly trumpets, is the retractable aisle armrest, which helps the occupant easily slip out and back without having to put back the tray table. Once up, the armrest serves as protection should you be sleeping facing the aisle, preventing your head from sticking out and being banged by a passerby or worse, a meal cart. Perhaps because it was fresh out of the factory, but it took some pressure on the push button to get it to rise. This retractable armrest feature is not for that purpose alone, but also to facilitate access for physically challenged passengers, executives of Zodiac Aerospace, the French firm which designed the new seats, told Business Traveller. Any airline, wishing to operate to and around the US, is required by the Federal Aviation Authority to allocate some seats in all their classes to accommodate disabled customers.

Getting the seat to convert into a flat bed was painless, even when done in the dark with just the overhead reading light. When fully straightened, it meets the small ottoman at the far end pretty nicely, affording more space. Designer Zodiac Aerospace told me that a person with a height of 1.98 metres (6’5"), lying perfectly prone would be comfortable, but since I am much shorter than that I had no problem at all. But here’s where CX said they’ve gone the extra mile – tailoring their flatbed for side sleepers. As the seat extends, an extension flap on one side emerges, providing more inches for those knees, and if sleeping on the opposite side, a space between the seat and the storage cavity doesn’t impede any limbs.

WHICH SEAT TO CHOOSE? I was given a business class seat 20K. It is located on the right side of the aircraft and in the very middle of the second business class cabin and enjoys the view from two windows. It’s not a long way to the two washrooms behind row 26 for use of this section. Any window seat is desirable because the latest design affords a cocoon like ambiance. Choose to sit in the second business class cabin rather than the first one which features only two rows as there is bound to be a lot of crew movement between first class and that area since the galley is directly behind the second row, which is row 12. In the second business class cabin, I would avoid row 15, again because of the galley in front of it, and row 26 because of the washrooms behind it.

THE FLIGHT: There were numerous bumpy moments during the 13-and-½-hour journey home that kept us strapped to our seats, but that didn’t seem to stop the cabin crew from conducting the meal service (selections were available on current commercial flights). For the first session, lunch, I immediately zeroed in on the kung po chicken with egg fried rice and stir-fried kailan in a list that also included grilled fillet steak with red wine sauce, roasted potatoes with herbs and seasonal baby vegetables, seared fillet of sea bass with tarragon caper sauce, potatoes and sautéed spinach and roasted porcini ravioli with cambozola cream sauce and porcini mushrooms.

The reason was because after two days of (fantastic) Seattle seafood, my taste buds were yearning for Asian flavours – I polished off the dish once it was set on my tray, following the Pacific northwest seafood and seasonal salad starters. Dessert was a choice of cheese, fruit or New York cheesecake served with raspberry coulis. I dozed off even before the sweets trolley came around, skipping the final course although I found a mineral water bottle and a blue box containing a single chocolate on my side table when I woke up later during the journey.

Unable to go back to sleep, I scanned the snack list, which could be requested at any time, consisting of both western and oriental tasties: chicken quesadilla, shui gaw with noodle in soup, pan-fried luncheon meat and fried egg in noodle soup, ham and cheese panini and grilled vegetable foccacia, Caesar salad with grilled prawns and abalone mushroom congee with steamed rice roll with mushroom and pan-friend turnip cake. The thought of a bowl of steaming shui gaw whetted my appetite once more, and I gave in to that temptation, along with a pint of Haagen Daz coffee ice cream.

About two hours before landing, the final meal service was laid out but since I was deep into finishing a news piece and had my laptop on the tray table, I requested for just the braised e-fu noodles with assorted dimsum from the lineup that also included a seafood crepe with Newburg sauce and vegetables as well as a mixed grill of spinach fritatta, Canadian bacon, mini steak, hash brown and grilled potato. The hot container with the noodles fitted quite nicely on a corner of my tray table.

ARRIVAL: We arrived about 10pm on Saturday, April 30, 2011, loudly applauding once the mint-new aircraft touched down on the Chek Lap Kok runway. On CX’s B777, the overhead bins are harder to reach for a petite-size person such as me (unlike its B747 where the compartments are much lower), but the little recess on the bottom left-hand side of my seat helped me to reach them easily, meaning no more stepping on the upholstery!

VERDICT: By listening intently and with sensitivity to its customers, Cathay Pacific has definitely set a new benchmark in the premier cabin arena. The new seat and accompanying enhancements in other touch points show why this airline is always a market leader.

caelus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #2362
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/531/5310130.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #2363
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay eyes roll-out for new cabin class
May 9, 2011
South China Morning Post

The remodelling of Cathay Pacific (SEHK: 0293)'s business-class seats is completed and the airline is hoping to finalise the roll-out of new "premium economy" seats by the end of this year.

The new cabin class announced last year aims to offer an option for passengers wishing to trade down from business class - for reasons of cost-cutting - as well as those who don't want economy class.

Details of the new seating configuration have not yet been revealed, but people familiar with the situation said the new seats would be 20 to 30 per cent larger than existing economy seats in terms of floor area. The cheapest seats of Hong Kong's flag-carrying airline are 44cm wide and rows are spaced 81cm apart in the economy section. With an enlargement of 25 per cent, the width and so-called seat pitch will be roughly 53cm and 1 metre respectively.

That will put the seats in line with, if not better than, the same class of seats offered by other airlines such as Virgin Atlantic and British Airways.

Cathay Pacific chairman Christopher Pratt said earlier he hoped the new seats could be rolled out by next year to capture a clientele looking to trade down from business class, and those who don't want to be in economy class, because despite a return in passenger traffic and prices for business class, passenger yield had yet to return to 2007 levels.

At a ceremony to mark the reception at Boeing's delivery centre in Seattle last month of a 777-300ER - the third aircraft fitted with Cathay's latest business-class seats - the airline's chief executive, John Slosar, said four seats were cut to make the new product more spacious. But he said the sacrifice in space would be rewarded by a higher loading.

"Loading of our business class on long-haul is about 50 to 60 per cent. We hope it can go up to 70 per cent," he said.

The airline will spend HK$1 billion in the next two years to install and retrofit business-class seats in all 30 of its 777-300ER and 20 long-haul A330-300 aircraft.

The old business-class cabin - notorious for its narrowness and a design that hampered easy conversation between travelling couples - will not be replaced for the 747 and A340 aircraft, though, as the 747 will be retired in three to four years, and the A340 is also in the process of being phased out.

A test of the new business class cabin by a South China Morning Post (SEHK: 0583, announcements, news) reporter confirmed that it is not only wider but also more comfortable than the cabin it will replace, particularly its sleeping configuration, which is more spacious.

The new seats enable passengers to look out of their windows without the need to turn their heads at a right angle, and the two middle seats are angled towards each other, allowing travelling couples to be closer. Passengers wanting more privacy can use a cabin door equipped with a mirror as a partition.

Attention is also paid to finer details.

The new seats have a recess at their base which may be used as a step to help smaller air hostesses and passengers to load and unload luggage from their overhead racks. Small lights next to the recess are intended to alert cabin crew during take-off and landing that the seats have not been fully restored to the upright position.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #2364
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/518/5184518.html

Old May 14th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #2365
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific says April cargo throughput down 8.4 pct

HONG KONG, May 13 (Reuters) - Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd, Hong Kong's dominant carrier, said on Friday that April passenger volume rose 4.1 percent but cargo throughput fell 8.4 percent on weaker demand from major manufacturing areas of China.

Cathay, the world's biggest international air-cargo carrier, moved 139,944 tonnes of cargo and mail last month, taking total volume for the first four months to 562,805 tonnes, down 0.3 percent from the same period last year.

The cargo and mail load factor was down 11 percentage points to 68.3 percent, it said in a statement.

Its key Hong Kong market remained soft in April, while demand out of major manufacturing areas in China weakened further, particularly to Europe, said General Manager, Cargo Sales & Marketing James Woodrow.

The outbound weakness was partly offset by fairly robust demand into Asia, he said in the statement.

"We reduced our freighter services on long-haul trunk routes in line with demand last month and will do the same in May as the markets stay quiet," he said.

Passenger numbers rose to 2.26 million in April, thanks to the Easter holiday, but Japan routes were expected to remain weak due to the March earthquake and tsunami.

"Premium demand continued to be generally firm, benefiting from the Canton Fair. The continued slump on Japan routes remains a concern, with few signs yet of a material pick-up," said General Manager, Revenue Management Tom Owen.

Cathay said its load factor eased 3.6 percentage points in April to 80.3 percent. For the first four months, the number of passengers carried rose 1.7 percent while capacity increased by 10.1 percent.

Cathay's cargo business is more China-focused and it has recently launched Air China Cargo, a joint venture with partner Air China Ltd , and announced the consolidation of their cargo businesses.

Old May 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2366
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Dragonair highlights tourism in look at Siem Reap
12 May 2011
Phnom Penh Post

DRAGONAIR flights to Phnom Penh are becoming increasingly popular, and the airline is considering expanding to the tourism centre of Siem Reap, according to Cathay Pacific Southeast Asia General Manager Anna Thompson.

As part of the Cathay Pacific group, Dragonair uses Hong Kong as a hub, and currently flies to Phnom Penh 7 times per week.

“We have 1,372 seats a week from Phnom Penh to Hong Kong, which works out at 196 a day,” she said.

“It’s not just Cambodian nationals taking up the seats, foreign tourists are also important to the numbers.”

The carrier is also considering expansion plans for the Kingdom. “We are looking into the idea of flying to Siem Reap and have the flying rights to do so, yet we need to assess the market potential for tourism,” she said.

She also highlighted Cambodian authorities as particularly welcoming of expansion plans.

“We find in countries like Cambodia they’re quite open to increases in flights, as they want to increase tourism, whereas some other countries tend try to control it a little bit more,” she said. However, Dragonair Phnom Penh based Manager Nicolas Masse emphasised there were no concrete plans at this stage, as Phnom Penh currently serves as the main gateway to Cambodia for cargo, business and leisure.

Of the passengers flying to Hong Kong, around one third stay in the city, while the remainder head to the other 141 destinations the carrier serves, he said.

“We see a lot of traffic to Europe, which has become very popular, especially Paris and Amsterdam, while Australia continues to be a popular destination,” he said. “Toronto has a large Cambodian presence, leading to traffic in both directions, which is why we plan to increase the seat number this month.”

Other popular destinations include the United States; New York and Los Angeles, while in Asia; Manila, Jakarta, Osaka and Tokyo are all frequented by travellers originating in Cambodia.

Some 1,291 people residing in Hong Kong visited the Kingdom in the first quarter of 2011, along with 55,891 visitors originating in China – a 36.6 percent increase on the same period 2010, according to Cambodian Ministry of Tourism statistics.

Old May 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM   #2367
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

Source:http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_669166.html
Quote:
May 16, 2011
Cathay Pacific plane makes emergency landing
By Karamjit Kaur, Aviation Correspondent

Passengers on Cathay Pacific flight CX715 disembark from the aeroplane after it landed safely at Changi Airport in Singapore. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

A CATHAY Pacific aircraft bound for Jakarta returned to Changi Airport and made an emergency landing early Monday morning, because of engine trouble.

The Airbus 330-300 jet which left Singapore at about 1am was carrying 136 passengers when cockpit crew were alerted to a problem with one of its two engines. The Rolls-Royce engine was shut down during flight. The aircraft is designed to to take-off and land with one engine in operation.

Flight CX 715 returned just before 2am. There was no fire but sparks were reported from the affected engine and doused by firefighters, said an airline spokesman, adding that no one was injured.

The airline and engine maker are investigating the incident.
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #2368
hkskyline
Hong Kong

More details :

Cathay Pacific statement on CX715 incident
16 May 2011
Press Release

Cathay Pacific confirmed that CX715 which departed from Singapore to Jakarta at 00.54 am on 16 May 2011 returned to Singapore following a stall warning from the No. 2 engine. The crew shut down the Rolls Royce engine when they received the alert.

An emergency landing was declared and the aircraft returned at 01.57 am without incident. Fire services met the aircraft on arrival. The aircraft stopped on the taxiway and sparks from the No. 2 engine were reported. They were doused by fire extinguishers.

The 136 passengers on the A330 disembarked without incident and were accommodated in hotels. Most were transferred to other flights later this morning.

Cathay Pacific and Rolls Royce are investigating the incident which has been reported to the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department.

A Cathay Pacific spokesman said: "We can appreciate the concern and anxiety felt by the passengers during the incident, but our captain and his crew were in control of the situation at all times. They reacted exactly as they are trained to do, shut down the affected engine and returned the aircraft safely to Singapore.

"Our captain was full of praise for the calm and co-operative manner of the passengers, both at the time of the announcement of the flight return and their disembarkation from the aircraft via airport mobile staircase.

"We are very grateful for their calm and orderly response to the situation."

Old May 16th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2369
Vrooms
threeyearson.

I think it was really nice how the pilot praised the passengers on the way they reacted to the situation they showed it on the news here in SG
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2370
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Doesn't seem like something completely different from what the crew is trained for, and the plane can still fly with 1 engine. In fact, it can technically still stay in the air and land safely with 0 engines as well.

Old May 17th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #2371
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Some pictures from flight CX715

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Strick...634881767.jpg/

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Strick...204211924.jpg/

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Strick...368267706.jpg/

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Strick...786499745.jpg/

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Strick...270777022.jpg/

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Strick...992262254.jpg/
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #2372
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay emergency landing triggers investigation

SINGAPORE/HONG KONG, May 16 (Reuters) - An investigation has been launched after a Cathay Pacific jetliner made an emergency landing in Singapore with an engine problem on Monday.

Terrified passengers prayed together as their aircraft, one of its engines apparently on fire, made its way back to safety, a Reuters witness said.

Cathay Pacific Airways said the Airbus A330, bound for Jakarta with 136 passengers on board, landed back in Singapore "without incident" just before 2 a.m. It said the crew shut down the engine after receiving a "stall warning".

The Hong Kong-based airline said that it and engine maker Rolls-Royce were investigating the incident.

Rolls-Royce and European planemaker Airbus both said they would support the investigation, which comes six months after a far more dramatic Rolls-Royce engine blowout forced a Qantas A380 to turn back to Singapore.

Reuters photographer Beawiharta was aboard the Cathay Pacific plane with his wife, two sons and daughter.

About 20 minutes after take-off, there were two sharp bangs, sending cabin staff scurrying to retrieve the meals they had only just begun serving.

The plane began shaking violently, he said, and the lights went out. He could smell something burning.

His son, Pradipta, 15, said he could see fire from the cabin window and Beawiharta said a stewardess "told us an engine had caught fire and we were on our way back to Singapore".

"Behind us, passengers were praying: 'God, save our flight! Give us your protection!'," the photographer said.

"RARE EVENT"

The Cathay plane was powered by Rolls-Royce's Trent 700 engines, which are specifically designed for Airbus' A330 family and captured the lion's share of that market in the past three years.

"We're aware of the incident and are working closely with our customer to provide support and technical assistance," a Rolls-Royce spokesman said.

A spokesman for Airbus said it would "provide every assistance to the airline and Rolls-Royce in order to determine the cause of the incident".

An uncontained engine failure or blow-out in a Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engine forced a Qantas Airbus A380 to make an emergency landing in Singapore last November and prompted the temporary grounding of the Australian carrier's A380 fleet.

Singapore's Air Accident Investigation Bureau is expected to lead the probe into the Cathay Pacific incident.

Safety expert Paul Hayes at Ascend Aviation said uncontained engine fires were rare, as were uncontained engine failures. But he said it was too early to tell from witness reports to what extent any flames had been kept under control.

Cathay said the crew had shut down the affected engine as soon as they received the alert of a possible malfunction, but it also said sparks had been reported from the same engine after the aircraft had stopped on the taxiway.

Firefighters were seen dousing the engine as passengers disembarked.

In a waiting room, the pilot greeted assembled passengers.

"The best that we can ever ask of passengers is to stay cool, stay calm ... which you did," he said. "And for that we thank you."

Old May 18th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #2373
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Old May 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #2374
hkskyline
Hong Kong

HSBC and Cathay unveil joint sponsorship of HK Sevens
18 May 2011
Reuters

Iconic Asian brands HSBC and Cathay Pacific will join forces to co-promote the Hong Kong Rugby Sevens tournament from next year in a new sponsorship deal announced on Wednesday. The four-year deal resumes a partnership between the Hong Kong institutions and the pre-eminent event in a sport being added to the Olympic programme in 2016. "It is the perfect marriage," HSBC's head of global sponsorship Giles Morgan said of the deal in a telephone call to Reuters.

"Rugby Sevens is growing exponentially and the Hong Kong tournament helped it grow from a small base to an Olympic sport.

"Sponsorship of this tournament on top of our sponsorship of the world sevens series really seals it for us."

Rugby Sevens will make its Olympic debut in Rio, although the full form of the sport appeared in four of the first seven Games before it was dropped following the Paris Olympics in 1924.

Morgan's sentiments were echoed by Cathay chief executive John Slosar.

"It's great to see two of Hong Kong's world-beating brands -- both so closely associated with the city -- once again linked to this world-beating sports spectacular," he said in a statement. "Backed by the power of Hong Kong's two biggest international brands, I believe we'll see the Hong Kong Sevens soar to new heights." Cathay and HSBC's previous joint sponsorship of the event ran from 1980 to 1997, and HSBC's renewed interest extends its growing support of Sevens internationally -- the bank already sponsors the world series.

Wednesday's announcement marks its only title sponsorship of a sevens individual event.

HSBC's sponsorship means Credit Suisse will end its tenure as a co-sponsor.

FLAGSHIP EVENT

In 1998, Credit Suisse First Boston Corp., as it was known then, took over sponsorship of the Sevens tournament in a last minute rescue after the previous sponsor, merchant bank Peregrine Investments Holdings Ltd., went bust. "The bank's heritage here in Hong Kong, and our historic long-term investment in rugby around the world, means that this sponsorship is a fantastic addition to our international rugby portfolio," HSBC Holdings' group chief executive Stuart Gulliver said. "We look forward to working in partnership... to ensure the tournament remains Hong Kong's flagship sporting event and one of the highlights of the city's calendar for years to come." Established in 1976, the Hong Kong Rugby Sevens is the city's most well-known sports event, drawing an annual sell out crowd of 40,000 to Hong Kong stadium for a tournament spanning three days. While rugby is the main attraction, the event has taken on a carnival atmosphere over the years, with the raucous South Stand section of the stadium famous for it's costumes, dancing, and all-day partying that begins early in the morning. Corporations and the city's finance industry rent out luxury boxes and encourage costumes and themes of their own.

Old May 20th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #2375
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay seeks more flights to Taiwan
19 May 2011
SCMP

Cathay Pacific Airways is eyeing additional flights to Taiwan to cope with rising passenger demand even though the number of Taiwanese visitors to Hong Kong fell in the first three months of this year.

Hong Kong and Taiwan are negotiating a new air pact to increase the number of flights between the two sides by an estimated 56 per week.

John Slosar, Cathay's chief executive, said: "In the context of new flights, we would certainly be interested in getting another daily flight or two."

He said the airline had added back all the flights that it cancelled from late 2008 because of the loss in traffic caused by direct cross-strait flights and the economic downturn.

Slosar, speaking after the company's annual general meeting yesterday, said Taiwanese travellers liked to stop in Hong Kong "although there is a lot more direct traffic".

Cathay operates 108 round trip flights between Hong Kong and Taipei. Subsidiary Dragonair also operates services to Taipei and Kaohsiung, with 42 return flights a week to Taiwan's second city.

Figures from the Hong Kong Tourism Board last year showed the number of visitors from Taiwan rose 7.7 per cent to 2.16 million despite the continued expansion of cross-strait flights.

This followed several travel trade promotions that increased the number of travellers from Taiwan.

But tourism board figures for the first three months of this year showed the number of people visiting from Taiwan fell 5.5 per cent year on year to 507,404 because of direct cross-strait flights and competitive air ticket prices.

Slosar said Cathay continued to be affected by the aftermath of the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear radiation leak in Japan.

He said the carrier's seven daily flights from Hong Kong to Tokyo were cut to three or four for most of last month.

The airline has some flights and will operate six daily flights to Narita up to the end of the month.

There is also a reduced flight schedule to other destinations in Japan including Osaka, Sapporo and Nagoya at least to the end of this month.

Slosar said average passenger loads were down to about 50 per cent but were normally much higher, although he hoped there would be a recovery in the summer.

Earlier this month, he said Japan accounted for 7 to 8 per cent of airline revenue before the disasters.

On the outlook for this year, Slosar said it was "shaping up to be a normal year after an abnormally strong" 2010.

He pointed out the spring months of April and May tended to be weak while summer "tends to be stronger". He said the disruptions in Japan and the Middle East "was nothing we can't recover from".

He thought that while 2011 was not "as strong as it was in 2010", there was no sign it was going to be "systemically" weak.

This came after the latest traffic figures showed the number of passengers rose 1.7 per cent in the first four months to almost 8.7 million, while cargo volumes fell 0.3 per cent to 562,805 tonnes.

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #2376
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/532/5326730.html

Old May 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #2377
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Approves Cathay Pacific Fuel Surcharge Rise For June
24 May 2011

HONG KONG (Dow Jones)--The Hong Kong government said Tuesday it has approved Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd.'s (0293.HK) application to raise passenger fuel surcharges by up to 9% in June because of higher global oil prices.

The Civil Aviation Department also approved a request from Singapore Airlines Ltd. (C6L.SG) to raise its fuel surcharges by the same amount, it said.

The fuel surcharge for short-haul flights operated by Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines will rise 6% to HK$236 per journey from HK$222, and the surcharge for their long-haul flights will rise 9% to HK$1,124 from HK$1030.

The Civil Aviation Department also approved a request from All Nippon Airways Co. (9202.TO) to raise its passenger fuel surcharge for short-haul flights by 6% to HK$236 from HK$222 per journey, it said.

The government said earlier it would review passenger fuel surcharge applications from airlines on a monthly basis instead of every two months to enable airlines to quickly adjust their surcharges in line with changes in jet fuel prices.

Old May 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #2378
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By clwong from HKADB :

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #2379
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Airbus long-haul A350 project set for more delays: Cathay
26 May 2011
AFP

Airbus will have to further delay the roll-out of its key A350 long-haul twin-jet programme due to the need for technical improvements, the head of Hong Kong carrier Cathay pacific said Thursday.

His comments came as US aerospace giant Boeing announced it will carry out a flight test of its rival 787 Dreamliner in Japan in early July.

Airbus "has technical improvements to make (on the A350) and it will certainly be delayed," said Cathay CEO John Slosar.

The Hong Kong flag-carrier has ordered 30 A350s and expects the first to arrive "in late 2015."

Last November, Airbus sources said the European aircraft maker would reorganise its A350 programme to ensure that deliveries can begin before the end of 2013 despite pressures on the timetable.

That was already a delay from an earlier entry date of mid-2013.

Cathay boss Slosar told a press conference in Paris that, following delays with the super-jumbo A380, Airbus was "working hard" to minimise delays.

Louis Gallois chief executive officer at Airbus parent EADS, the European defence giant, confirmed on Thursday that the A350 calendar "remains challenging.

"Critical milestones have been reached on the A350, with difficulties to be overcome in the coming years to manage this risky programme," he told the group's annual general meeting in Amsterdam.

Slosar said Cathay Pacific aims to increase its daily flights to major destinations such as London, New York and Sydney.

Meanwhile in Tokyo, US aerospace giant Boeing said it will carry out a flight test of its 787 Dreamliner in Japan in early July with its inaugural customer All Nippon Airways (ANA).

It will be the first Asian test of the high-tech Dreamliner as the US firm has long delayed its first delivery to ANA, which is now expected in August or September.

Boeing had originally promised to roll out the plane in 2008 but a string of technical mishaps and delays have slowed the testing programme for the jets, heralded as a new generation of highly fuel-efficient mid-sized aircraft.

British budget airline Easyjet said separately it was in talks with both Airbus and Boeing on what planes it will need after 2015.

"It is very early in the discussion," CEO Carolyn McCall said in France.

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #2380
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Airbus faces partial A350 delay-report

(Corrects to make clear Cathay Pacific Chief Executive John Slosar did mention a delay but not a six month delay. French newspaper Le Figaro estimated the delay at six months)

PARIS, May 26 (Reuters) - Airbus reiterated the first delivery date for its A350 passenger jet on Thursday but one of its airline customers predicted two of three variants of the plane would be delayed, according to a report.

The head of Airbus parent EADS told shareholders in Amsterdam the first delivery would be in the second half of 2013 as previously stated, but that the programme remained "challenging".

Airbus recently delayed the target date from mid-2013.

The first A350 is expected to be the 314-seat A350-900, the middle of three aircraft spanning 270 to 350 seats.

In its Friday edition released late on Thursday, Le Figaro quoted Cathay Pacific chief executive John Slosar as saying the other two models needed technical refinement and could be delayed. Le Figaro estimated the delay at six months.

Cathay recently ordered 30 A350s.

Airbus has been under pressure from airlines such as Emirates to beef up the A350-1000 to make it more competitive with Boeing's 777, but this could require costly changes to its Rolls-Royce engines.

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld