daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 07:06 AM   #241
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

Cathay deal; offers 7.5pc; pay rise over; three years
Joseph Lo
22 January 2005
South China Morning Post

Cathay Pacific Airways will raise the salaries of 2,200 of its Hong Kong-based staff by 7.5 per cent over the next three years.

The airline, one of the city's largest employers, yesterday said that it had reached an agreement with its local staff union to increase salaries by 3 per cent this year, 2.5 per cent in 2006 and 2 per cent in 2007.

Cathay will also make a one-off lump sum payment of $6,000 to each eligible staff member.

The union represents locally based "Level A" ground staff, most of whom are in customer relations, baggage handling and other service-related jobs.

"Both parties agree that the three-year arrangement offers greater certainty to staff in terms of salary increases and also supports the airline's long-term growth plans," Cathay said.

The union said the deal "met the long-term interests of its members".

Under the deal, the union also agreed not to help staff members in legal cases against Cathay with regards to salary increases under the company's points scale system.

"The union has considered that keeping good relations with the company makes us more effective in fighting for our members' rights," it said.

"Litigation is not in the interests of the union, the company, our members and staff, as well as being a financial burden on the union."

However, Cathay said the system would be scrapped from this month, in favour of a percentage system for calculating future pay increments.

The pay deal comes just weeks after the airline said it planned to increase its workforce by about 10 per cent this year.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:33 PM   #242
hkskyline
Hong Kong

@ Vancouver by 97/98/99 B-Line from HKADB :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:03 PM   #243
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Feel the Rush - Fly'n See Rugby World Cup Sevens 2005 Hong Kong

Experience one of the most exhilarating international sports events with the Rugby World Cup Sevens 2005 Hong Kong. Once again, Cathay Pacific is proud to be the Official Airline of this action-packed weekend that attracts visitors from all over the world.

There's nothing more thrilling than watching 24 teams of outstanding athletes battle it out for the championship title. Being in the midst of this adrenaline-charged environment, you'll certainly cheer and shout enthusiastically with the rest of the spectators - the excitement's contagious!

Dates : 18 –20 March, 2005

More information on fly and see packages from many countries worldwide :
http://www.cathaypacific.com/intl/of...112513,00.html

Old January 24th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #244
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Jealous husband denies Aussie diver's last wish
Gavin du Venage Cape Town, Simon Parry
25 January 2005
The Australian

CATHAY Pacific pilot Dave Shaw's dying wish to have his ashes scattered across the waters of the cave that claimed his life was refused by the cave's owner, who claims the Australian diver was having an affair with his wife.

Shaw died earlier this month attempting to retrieve the body of a diver from the depth of 270m at the bottom of the cave, the world's third-deepest. Shaw died soon after reaching the bottom but his body and that of Deon Dreyer floated to the surface a few days later, where the remains of both men were retrieved.

A front-page report in the Afrikaans-language broadsheet Rapport quotes Andries van Zyl, the 48-year-old owner of the land on which the Boesmansgat cave is located, saying that Shaw, 50, and van Zyl's wife Debbie, 42 were having a relationship that began last October.

Mr van Zyl said he would not permit Shaw's remains to be scattered on the waters of the cave -- something the diver had asked for should he not survive. Mr Van Zyl said the affair began when Shaw arrived on the farm last year to try and break the world deep-diving record.

It was during this descent that Shaw came across the remains of Dreyer on the bottom of the cave. Dreyer had died diving there in 1994.

In the days leading up to the record attempt, Shaw had stayed with Mr van Zyl and his wife at their farmhouse. Mr Van Zyl had to go away for a few days, leaving Shaw in the company of his wife. When he returned, Mr Van Zyl said, he immediately realised something was up.

"I suspected something when I returned and my wife began acting differently. She acted strangely towards me, hardly talking at all," Mr van Zyl said. "Debbie and Shaw began emailing each other, mails which she would immediately wipe from the computer. She was noticeably worried that I would read them."

In December Mrs van Zyl told him she wanted a divorce. Then in January, when Shaw set out to retrieve Dreyer's body, she waited anxiously for him to return to the surface. When she learned of his death she was devastated.

She told Rapport she and Shaw had had a "close friendship".

"I discussed my and Andries' problems with Dave and asked him for advice. Dave was my confidant."

However, Mr Shaw's widow Ann, 49, said yesterday any allegations of a relationship between her husband and Mrs van Zyl were "garbage".

She had not made a decision on what to do with her husband's ashes and no request had ever been made for them to be scattered at the cave.

Old January 25th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #245
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay offers $1m or job interview to sacked pilots
Simon Parry
25 January 2005
South China Morning Post

Cathay Pacific is offering payouts of about $1 million or the chance to reapply for jobs to pilots sacked during a 2001 industrial dispute - if they agree to drop legal action against the airline.

The offer of an out-of-court settlement to the group known as the "49ers" is the first of its kind in the bitter 31/2-year dispute and is being recommended to pilots by the Aircrew Officers Association, which negotiated the deal.

If it is accepted, the sacked pilots can either take a 10-month payout or an interview for a job as freighter pilots with Cathay, positions junior to those they previously held.

Any 49er who applies for a job will be subjected to psychological testing - a step proposed by the association - to make sure they do not hold a lasting grudge against the airline.

Fifty-one pilots were sacked by Cathay in July 2001, at the height of a dispute over pay and rosters which resulted in a work-to-rule campaign by association members. They are named for the 49 dismissed in one mass sacking.

Legal proceedings have been taken out against Cathay by sacked pilots in the US, Australia, Britain and Hong Kong, and the offer to pilots is conditional on the actions being dropped.

The 1,000-member Aircrew Officers Association, which has supported the 49ers financially and funded their lawsuits, is due to decide at an extraordinary general meeting on February 15 whether to approve Cathay's offer.

The offer has opened a heated debate within the association and among the 49ers over whether it should be accepted or whether the pilots should continue fighting their cases through the courts.

The five plaintiffs in the Australian case have written to association members, saying: "We beg you to continue to support our legal cases until we have a reasonable offer formally made to us or have our day in court."

One of the 49ers, Canada-based Steve Urquhart, 36, said he wanted to accept the offer and return to Hong Kong. "We could be bitter for the rest of our lives but I would rather put it behind me and go back to work," he said. "Hopefully in five years it will all be ancient history."

Association president Murray Gardner, recommending the offer to members, said: "This has been a difficult period in the history of industrial relations between the association and the management of Cathay Pacific.

"However, relations have improved markedly in the past two years and the priority of both parties now is to further improve the relationship, to help the airline grow and prosper and to safeguard the best interests of everyone."

Cathay's director of flight operations Nick Rhodes said Cathay's offer was a "full and final" one and if it was rejected the matter would be sorted out in the courts.

"There comes a time in any dispute when you have to move forward," he said. "We are very pleased the association is now run by a business-minded committee."

Old January 25th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #246
Isan
อีสาน 東北府

Likes (Received): 4

Cathay Pacific adds fourth weekly flight to Perth

25 January 2005

Cathay Pacific is adding a fourth weekly flight to Perth, Australia, as part of the airline's plan to add more flights and destinations through the year as its fleet expands.

The new service, to start 2 April 2005, will bring to 52 the number of direct flights the airline operates to six cities in Australia each week.

The Saturday evening departure from Hong Kong will be the airline’s first weekend service to Perth. The return flight’s Sunday evening arrival in Hong Kong allows travellers to make the most of the approaching working week.

The service will be operated with a two-class Airbus 330-300. Cathay Pacific will acquire nine aircraft in 2005 and six more are due to arrive by 2007.

Cathay Pacific Airways Director Sales and Marketing James Barrington said: “Australia is a key market and the addition of a fourth weekly service to Perth will provide greater travel convenience to our passengers and underline Hong Kong’s strengthen as a global hub and gateway to the Chinese Mainland.”

BEAUTIFUL SIAM
Isan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #247
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Final approach
After a three-year industrial row, pilots are voting on a new deal offered by Hong Kong's flagship airline.

25 January 2005
South China Morning Post

There is no hiding the emotional baggage John Warham still carries three-and-a-half years after he was fired from his job as a senior Airbus captain at Cathay Pacific, just one of a group of pilots collectively known as the 49ers.

"How do you think it feels?" he replies sourly over drinks in a Kowloon bar. "If I hadn't been fired, I believe I would probably still be medically fit to fly and I would probably still be with my wife."

Mr Warham, 52, had been a Cathay pilot for 17 years and was five years short of retirement when he was sacked by the airline after the pilots began a work-to-rule action during a long-running dispute over working rosters.

The following year, he suffered a minor heart attack, leaving him medically unfit to fly. Six months ago, he split up with his wife. Mr Warham finds it impossible not to link the two events to his dismissal in July 2001.

"My career is finished," he said. "Had I still been employed by Cathay Pacific at the time of my heart attack, I would have received five years' pay under my loss of licence insurance. Because they fired me, I had no loss of licence insurance so I received nothing.

"I split up with my wife, the woman I had been with for 21 years. Who can say whether I would have had a heart attack or split up with my wife because of what Cathay did to me? But if you talk to anyone who knows about stress, they'll tell you it will have been a factor.

"Four years ago, I was a senior captain with a major airline. Now I don't have a career, I don't have my wife, and I am having to rebuild from the ground up.

"It's not just me. The same kind of thing has happened to many of the 49ers."

Much of Mr Warham's time since his sacking has been absorbed by an ongoing legal battle in four different jurisdictions by the 49ers. They are seeking to have Cathay's actions declared illegal and to win reinstatement for those willing to return and compensation for those unwilling or unable to.

Now, after lengthy negotiations between Cathay and the 1,000-member Aircrew Officers' Association, the airline has put forward an offer of either 10 months' pay or interviews for positions as freighter pilots. In return, the 49ers must drop their legal actions.

Association members have already begun voting on whether to endorse the deal, which is supported by the union committee and which Cathay insists is a full and final offer. If two thirds vote in favour of it, legal funding for the 49ers will be cut off.

The 49ers are being polled separately with results expected to be made known to association members on February 1. Mr Warham is confident that the 49ers will reject it and that the association members will not accept the deal if the 49ers oppose it.

Union sources, however, say they believe the voting will be much tighter with early estimations suggesting as many as a third of the 49ers will definitely accept it and another third are still considering whether or not to accept it.

Mr Warham, a former union president and negotiator, emphasised that he did not believe there was any schism within the association over the issue and said the union committee deserved credit for getting Cathay to the negotiating table. He just feels it is too soon to settle.

"My judgment call is that we should reject this offer and continue down our current path to negotiate a better deal," he said. "We have to ask ourselves whether 10 months' pay is fair and equitable treatment for men who have had their careers destroyed by the way Cathay has treated them.

"The resolution of the 49ers issue is critical to everyone being able to move forward. I am trying to be objective, but I have seen a friend of mine die [49er Greg England, 31, who died after falling from the window of a flat in Wan Chai in January 2002].

"I have seen friends of mine whose marriages have broken up. I have seen people's careers destroyed. I have seen people in terrible financial straits, people losing their houses, people unable to pursue their careers or get employment because they are effectively blacklisted. It is extremely emotive."

It is the high level of emotion surrounding the issue that, in the view of another 49er who supports the deal offer by Cathay, is blurring the judgment of people such as Mr Warham. "If they put their emotions to one side and sit down and look at what is on offer they would realise it is not a bad deal," he said.

The 32-year-old Vancouver-based pilot, who asked not to be named, said he wanted to accept the deal and would apply for a job back with Cathay Pacific. "In five years' time, I hope I will be a captain with Cathay," he said.

"When I was fired it was a huge shock. I had been with Cathay for five years and it was a career we all thought we would have until our retirement day. To be honest I have no idea to this day why I was picked out. I wasn't active with the union. I wasn't a militant guy. I think they were just trying to make a point.

"I did feel bad but it has been three-and-a-half years now and time has moved on. I am very interested in the offer. There are a couple of downsides but a lot of upside. It gives us a lot more than we have right now."

Since his sacking, the 32-year-old has married, become a father, and got a job with a budget airline. He says he has put his bad feelings towards Cathay over his sacking behind him and would like to rejoin the airline. "The job I have now is a means to an end," he said. "Working for Cathay Pacific is a career. It is a much bigger airline and it is a higher-paying job. I have made the decision to go back. I have to just accept what happened and move on.

"There are a lot of 49ers who have a lot of unrealistic expectations. Some of them want far more than Cathay Pacific will be willing to give, so they are disappointed with what has been offered. I think the offer is reasonable."

By contrast, another 49er keen to return to work for Cathay posted a message to colleagues on a pilots' website yesterday, urging them to reject the deal which he described as "punitive". "At the very least I deserve to be returned to my previous salary and position on the seniority list," he said. "I believe that Cathay will not go to court and that there will be a better offer."

Nick Rhodes, director of flight operations with Cathay Pacific, said it was not surprising the debate over the airline's settlement offer appeared to have reopened old wounds.

"There is still a level of emotion there," he said. "It polarises people. Some want to have their day in court. Some are very keen to accept the offer and have a chance of making a career with Cathay again."

He said the offer had come about because of a combination of an improved working relationship with the Aircrew Officers' Association and the financial strain of the drawn-out legal proceedings in different jurisdictions.

"We are dealing with a very different association and there is a very different committee which has a very business-minded approach and a real willingness to work with the company," Mr Rhodes said.

"The court cases meanwhile are taking a lot of time. We expected to have seen the court cases through to their conclusion, but it's been three-and-a-half years now and it looks as if it is going to be a similar time before they are concluded.

"There will be a lot of legal expenses on both sides so it makes sense to settle out of court if there is a fair deal on the table."

However, Mr Rhodes firmly brushed aside suggestions that Cathay might be prepared to up its offer if the pilots rejected it.

"It has taken us a long time to get to this point. It is a full and final offer from the company. It is definitely a final offer," he said.

"We are drawing a line now and offering to settle out of court. We are prepared to redirect some of the funds [that would otherwise be spent in court] and make what we consider to be a fair out of court settlement. If it is not taken the only option is to complete the legal process," Mr Rhodes said.

Mr Warham, who will never pilot a plane again but hopes to convince those who will to hold out for a better deal, refuses to believe Cathay Pacific's stand is anything more than a negotiating position.

"I have seen management doing 180s before," he said. "This deal is completely one-sided and aimed at satisfying Cathay's objectives. They don't want to go to court."

But another 49er, Canadian father of two Steve Urquhart, 36, says he does not want the union to gamble with his future. "It's not the deal I hoped for but it might be the last offer we get that involves the chance to get a job back with Cathay," he said.

"There is a lot of pressure from the 49ers who don't want this voted in. Of the 49ers who do want to accept it, some people aren't willing to speak up. Personally I will be very disappointed if I lose the opportunity to get my job back."

Old January 27th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #248
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific launches special airfare rates for DSF visitors
Jan. 24, 2005
http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/52595.html

In support of the much-celebrated Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF), Cathay Pacific has introduced a special fare to attract more visitors from Mumbai to Dubai and experience the spectacular shopping fest, company officials announced yesterday.

'DSF is the biggest event of the year for both the retail and tourism sector. All important players in these industries stand to benefit from the influx of tourists coming here to partake in the festival. As such, we want to encourage more people to come to Dubai by offering special rates and help make DSF a truly successful event,' said Philip Herbert, Cathay Pacific Country Manager for UAE and Oman.

DSF stated that 3.1 million visitors arrived last year during the 32-day festival as per the latest records. This year, the government is expecting to top that record by 5% given the heavy promotions and assortment of activities lined up to entice shoppers from all over the world.

Dubai residents who wish to bring their family and friends for a shopping spree during DSF are seen to benefit from the promotional airfare introduced by the airline for the event.

Also, for local customers who plan to travel to other exciting destinations, Cathay Pacific has also announced its promotional fares for Bangkok, Manila, and Mumbai. The move to adjust prices to favorable fares underlines the airline's continued commitment in giving the Middle East travel market quality service and affordable packages.

In addition to the above-mentioned offers, Cathay Pacific has an ongoing promotion for travelers who wish to experience the ancient splendor of the majestic Beijing.

Cathay Pacific flies 13 times a week between Dubai and Hong Kong, with 7 direct flights, 2 services via Bahrain and 4 services via Mumbai and Bangkok.

Old January 29th, 2005, 02:32 AM   #249
hkskyline
Hong Kong

28 January 2005
Corporate Press Release
Cathay Pacific celebrates first freighter service to Shanghai

Cathay Pacific Director and General Manager Cargo Ron Mathison together with the airline's cargo team celebrate the arrival of the airline's first freighter at Shanghai airport.

Cathay Pacific Airways this morning celebrated the success of its first freighter service to Shanghai. Flight CX050 departed Hong Kong at 11pm yesterday and arrived at Shanghai airport on schedule this morning. The airline’s first return service from Shanghai also arrived back in Hong Kong today.

The flight’s arrival marked an important milestone in Cathay Pacific’s ongoing effort to strengthen Hong Kong as a global logistics hub and gateway to the Chinese Mainland. The now daily Boeing 747-200F service will funnel goods through Hong Kong to and from major markets in Asia, the United States and Europe. The airline also plans to add additional freighter frequencies to Shanghai in the near future.

Shanghai joins Beijing as the second Mainland city that Cathay Pacific serves.
The network will extend to three cities when the airline launches a thrice-weekly passenger service to Xiamen at the end of February.

Cathay Pacific Director and General Manager Cargo Ron Mathison said: "With the launch of the new freighter service to Shanghai, we will connect the Mainland's commercial capital to destinations throughout our network and further strengthen Hong Kong as a global logistics hub and gateway to the Mainland. I would like to thank all of our staff whose hard work made the launch of our new service a smooth one.”

Old January 29th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #250
City of Life
Asia's world city

Likes (Received): 0

Hope to see its passenger service to Shanghai soon~~~
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #251
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Union urges pilots to accept Cathay offer for sacked '49ers'
Simon Parry
29 January 2005
South China Morning Post

The Cathay Pacific pilots' union has urged its members to accept a deal offering 10-month payouts or job interviews to sacked colleagues, despite strong opposition from some of the "49ers" group.

In a letter to members ahead of a vote on whether to accept the Cathay offer, Aircrew Officers Association president Murray Gardner said pilots would have "let the 49ers down terribly" if they rejected the deal and no further offer was made.

Mr Gardner acknowledged opposition among the 49ers to the deal, which obliges them to drop their court cases against the airline, but warned: "We must assume this is the best offer they [Cathay Pacific] are prepared to make.

"We are well aware that all 49ers are disappointed {hellip} with the terms of the offer and would have hoped for more in any offer of resolution," Mr Gardner wrote.

"Some have indicated that they will accept, others have indicated they would accept reluctantly, and some are likely to reject the offer regardless of the decision of the association. That is their individual right."

The 49ers were among 51 pilots sacked by Cathay in July 2001 during a dispute over pay and rosters, which resulted in a work-to-rule campaign by association members.

In the offer that the association leadership has endorsed, Cathay is offering payouts or interviews as low-grade freighter pilots to 49ers who want to return to the airline, provided they drop all legal action.

Association members will vote by February 15 on whether to accept the deal and cut off the extensive funding they have provided for the 49ers to fight court cases in Britain, Australia and Hong Kong.

A poll of 49ers' views is expected to be released on February 1 and pilots opposed to the deal say they believe "only a handful" will support accepting the offer.

One sacked pilot said: "As far as we know, only two 49ers have definitely accepted. Everyone else is very strongly against it."

Some sacked pilots say they are unhappy over a required psychological test if they reapply for a job under the deal, fearing it will be used to refuse them employment.

They also fear they may damage their chances of getting employment elsewhere if they are refused a job back with Cathay.

Old January 30th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #252
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The men who said no to Cathay
A once highly paid pilot and a flight attendant who refused a payout are both making a defiant stand that could leave the airline fighting legal battles on two fronts
30 January 2005
South China Morning Post

It is difficult to imagine two more unlikely comrades in arms. Nevertheless Captain A - the most senior of the sacked Cathay Pacific pilots known as the 49ers - and flight attendant Sushil Dev Biaspal are men with a mission in common.

Captain A, who earned $145,386 a month when he was fired during the dispute over pay and rosters in July 2001, has said "no" to a $1.45 million payout offer from the airline and is determined to carry on fighting his case through the courts if his union colleagues will support him.

Mr Biaspal, who earns $11,888 a month, has said "no" to a $6,000 payout offer from the airline and on February 23 will go to Hong Kong's High Court with two other flight attendants to fight for pay they say they are owed but never received.

Both Captain A and Mr Biaspal are indignant and defiant. Both have so far resisted considerable pressure to reach an out-of-court settlement because they believe Cathay Pacific is acting unfairly. Both are determined to have their day in court.

It is the high-profile and emotive case of the 49ers - whose salaries start at around $65,000 - that has so far dominated the headlines.

But the case being brought by Mr Biaspal and his colleagues on February 23 may have far broader implications for staff relations at the hugely successful Hong Kong airline.

Mr Biaspal, who joined the airline eight years ago, took a job with Cathay at a time when flight attendants saw their salaries rise by a grade every year, giving them automatic pay rises of around $600 for each year they completed.

If it had had continued, as he says he was entitled to expect it would, he would now be on a salary of $15,120. Instead he's earning $11,888 and with every pay cheque that goes into his bank, he is $3232 worse off than he believes he should be. He claims they now owe him more than $107,000 - and the figure is rising by the month.

It is not just Mr Biaspal who is losing out, the Flight Attendants Union (FAU) says. About 3,400 attendants past and present employed in 1996 under monthly contacts are losing thousands of dollars a month, according to its calculations.

In a series of meetings aimed at averting next month's court case, Cathay first offered in December a one-off goodwill payment of $4,000 to flight attendants of Mr Biaspal's junior rank, along with a 7.5 per cent pay rise over three years.

The offer was increased on January 6 to $6,000 for junior attendants, $8,000 for senior pursers and $11,000 for in-flight service managers - a one-off payout that would have cost the company a total of $24.3 million.

The union dismissed the offer as an "insult" and, at a meeting afterwards, a number of FAU members were so enraged they said they intended to hand over $6,000 of their own money to Cathay to demonstrate their disdain.

"We advised them not to give the money because if they did, Cathay would probably just keep it," said union chairman Becky Kwan Siu-wa. "The $6,000 offer was an insult - and the management had the nerve to describe it as a goodwill gesture."

By her calculations - which she admits take the highest possible permutations on behalf of cabin crew - Cathay should be offering significantly more than $24.3 million to settle the dispute. She believes that if the two-week court case goes against the airline, it could be facing a bill of as much as $350 million.

It is a scenario Cathay - which says it has made a fair and reasonable offer to staff - dismisses, indicating the approach taken by the union representing 70 per cent of cabin crew fails to take account of Hong Kong's "economic situation and competitive environment".

However, the fact the airline has fallen so far short of the expectations of a large proportion of its cabin crew and now faces a court hearing over alleged breach of contract points to an uncomfortably disparate view of the world between management and frontline staff.

If, on top of that, pilots vote "no" when the Aircrew Officers Association meets later this month to decide whether to accept what Cathay insists is its final offer to the 49ers before court cases proceed, the schism between management and staff is in danger of looking more like a chasm.

All of this comes when Cathay is enjoying one of its most successful periods of growth, expanding aggressively, hiring new pilots and cabin crew and putting the difficulties of Sars and the economic downturn behind it. It should be a time for celebration and not recrimination.

According to Ms Kwan and others, there is a strong sense among cabin crew the airline is not willing to give credit to its staff for Cathay's turnaround in fortune since the dark days of 2003, and sees any challenge over contracts as another union dragon to be slain at any cost.

"When times are bad, we have to accept bad deals just to preserve our jobs. People are made to feel so grateful that they are still employed," she said. "We are all frightened to death and we're told we're all in this together and we must share the pain with the company.

"When times are good, on the other hand, we don't seem to get the opportunity to share in the gains and to make up for what we went through before. It's as if we're suddenly not part of it any more."

Despite its vastly improved relationship with the leadership of the Aircrew Officers Association, Cathay will find relations with pilots back in the spotlight if association members reject the offer to 49ers at their extraordinary general meeting on February 15, eight days before the flight attendants go to the High Court.

It is impossible to know which way the membership vote will go, but there is ferocious opposition among the 49ers themselves, whose feelings will be made known to members after a poll due to be concluded on tomorrow.

If they reject it, the association will have to go against the wishes of the men they have supported for 31/2 years if the offer is to stand.

One 49er opposed to the deal told the Sunday Morning Post he expected the "no" vote among the sacked pilots to be "up there in the 40s". Another 49er who wants to accept the deal and go back to work for the airline says he believes the result would be "at best 50-50".

One senior association member, who asked not to be named, said pilots viewed the offer as "derisory and insulting". It was quite possible the offer would be accepted, he admitted, but he added: "If it doesn't go through they'll have a heap of legal trouble on their plate.

"If they'd doubled the amount of money they were putting on the table from $45 million to $90 million it probably would have been more attractive and it might have been accepted. It's not a lot when you take into account the lawsuits and the negative PR they would avoid. For the sake of $45 million, Cathay might have blown it."

Whatever the outcome, there appears to be very little room for manoeuvre. Director of flight operations Nick Rhodes insists it is "definitely a final offer" and says: "If it is not taken, the only option is to complete the legal process."

All of which means that by the end of February, if the offer to the 49ers is rejected, Cathay Pacific -one of Hong Kong's outstanding modern-day economic success stories- will find itself fighting a two-fronted legal battle against unions representing the majority of its pilots and cabin crew.

It is a prospect that both Captain A and Mr Biaspal must be relishing.

Old January 30th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #253
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Court case will strain relations, says airline
30 January 2005
South China Morning Post

Cathay Pacific has dismissed suggestions it is insensitive to its staff but indicated flight attendants must bear in mind economic realities when it comes to pay and conditions.

A spokesman for the airline said: "We value all our staff and greatly appreciate the contributions they have made over the years. We regret that we are unable to reach an agreement at this stage, despite a series of meetings in recent months. However, our offers remain open."

Cathay's offer includes one-off "goodwill lump sum" payments ranging from $6,000 to $11,000 and salary increases for monthly paid staff of 3 per cent this year, 2.5 per cent next year and 2 per cent in 2007.

"There are also improvements in holiday and incentive benefits. All cabin crew have been enjoying year-end bonus and profit-sharing schemes,'' the spokesman said.

Referring to the court case, he said: "In any litigation, there is a degree of uncertainty involved for both parties and, besides, going to court would inevitably place an unwelcome strain on industrial and employee relations.

"Cathay Pacific has presented to the Flight Attendants Union a multi-year arrangement for future adjustments to salary and other benefits that the airline believes will help foster a better working relationship with the union, provide longer-term stability for the cabin crew and support the airline's long-term growth plans which would benefit all concerned.

"The company is very aware of the need to maintain its competitiveness and viability, as well as investment needs for sustained future growth. We believe the terms of our recent offer made to the FAU are fair and reasonable as they reflect the company's performance and ability to pay competitive market levels, and Hong Kong's economic situation and competitive environment."

Simon Parry

Old February 1st, 2005, 07:10 AM   #254
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Tuesday February 1, 12:20 PM
Cathay Pacific freight plane with burst tires aborts trip

AP - Pilots on a Cathay Pacific freight plane to Dubai noticed they had two burst tires shortly after take-off Tuesday and were forced to return to Hong Kong where they landed safely, the airline said.

The pilots of flight CX2049 requested priority landing in Hong Kong after noticing the problems, and brought the Boeing 747-200 safely to the ground about an hour later, Cathay spokeswoman Carolyn Leung said. No one was injured.

Leung said the airline was investigating how the two tires were damaged. She said the aircraft was leased, and not maintained by Cathay.

Old February 1st, 2005, 03:44 PM   #255
hkskyline
Hong Kong

01 February 2005
Corporate Press Release
Cathay Pacific presents HK$7m tsunami cheque to Red Cross

Cathay Pacific Chief Executive Philip Chen today presented the Hong Kong Red Cross Assistant Director (International & Relief Service) Lady Wu with a cheque for HK$7 million raised from staff and company donations to help the victims of the Indian Ocean tsunami rebuild their lives.

The company kicked off the fundraising effort for the Cathay Pacific Southeast Asia Disaster Relief Fund with HK$1 million on 29th December 04, then matched dollar-for-dollar every donation made by staff until the initiative ended on 28 January. The relief fund has raised more than HK$7 million at the moment.

Staff contributed in Hong Kong and at ports throughout the Cathay Pacific system. The airline and sister carrier Air Hong Kong also mounted special cargo flights to Sri Lanka and Indonesia. In all, Cathay Pacific and Air Hong Kong flew more than 200 tonnes of relief supplies. The airline also carried more than 40 strong search and rescue team, sniffer dogs from Paris to Colombo.

Inflight, all donations through March for the UNICEF “Change for Good” programme will go to help disaster victims. Donations in January totalled about HK$1.7 million, double that normally collected.

More than 8,000 Asia Miles members made donations to Asia Miles charity partners UNICEF, Oxfam Hong Kong, ORBIS and C.A.R.E. Housing Society to help fly relief workers to affected areas. Every donation made between 28 December and 7January was matched mile-for-mile by Asia Miles and more than 275 million miles were raised.

Cathay Pacific also helped to spearhead the Tourism Coalition of Hong Kong’s "We care for South Asia" campaign, which from 14 to 23 January rallied to help rebuild the tourism industry in affected areas with offers to revive interest in travel there.

Cathay Pacific Chief Executive Philip Chen said: “On behalf of Cathay Pacific, I would like to thank all staff, our customers, suppliers and the Hong Kong travel industry for their commitment and contributions to relief efforts in support of our friends in South Asia. Hong Kong’s community spirit shone through once again, and as the Hong Kong airline, we were proud to be a part of it.”

Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:53 PM   #256
hkskyline
Hong Kong

02 February 2005
Corporate Press Release
Cathay Pacific sets new standard on lounge style in Vancouver

7-metre Long Table, an iconic feature of Cathay Pacific's premium lounges Lounge entrance and specially trained Cathay Pacific staff available to assist passengers.

Illuminated rice paper-lined glass "landscaped" walls provide a hint of natural Asian elegance.

Cathay Pacific Airways today raised the bar on standards of airport lounge style and comfort in North America, opening a new double-sized First and Business Class lounge in Vancouver with panoramic runway views.

Vancouver is the first city in North America to experience the airline’s award-winning redesign. It is one of the biggest passenger lounges at the airport, and at 500 square metres is twice the size of the airline’s previous lounge. Cathay Pacific operates twice daily from Hong Kong to Vancouver and daily from Vancouver to New York.

The design echoes themes from Cathay Pacific’s The Wing and The Pier lounges at its Hong Kong International Airport hub, with fine marble and wood finishes, a touch of Asian elegance and the signature “Long Table”. A wide variety of Western and Asian dishes including dim sum and sushi are also on offer from a constantly updated menu.

A unique feature of the new Vancouver lounge is the spectacular view from a 3-metre-high window running the entire length of the lounge that looks out directly onto the Cathay Pacific aircraft readying for departure and the airport runway beyond.

The lounge features seven “Personal Living Spaces,” private and comfortable areas with full broadband access for passengers to work or check email. The lounge is also equipped with ample laptop connections for broadband, modem and wireless Internet access. There are areas to read, relax, drink, dine and enjoy a great range of cable and digital channels on 42” plasma screens.

Cathay Pacific General Manager Airports Anna Thompson said: “Vancouver is one of our most valued markets in North America and this is definitely our flagship lounge in the region. Once again, we have raised the standard for airport lounges and I think our passengers will be delighted to experience another example of the kind of product that sets Cathay Pacific apart.”

With the addition of Vancouver, Cathay Pacific now has nine lounges in Bahrain, Bangkok, London, Paris, Seoul, and Taipei that follow The Wing and The Pier designs in Hong Kong.

Lounge entrance and specially trained Cathay Pacific staff available to assist passengers.

Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:06 PM   #257
hkskyline
Hong Kong

03 February 2005
Corporate Press Release
Cathay Pacific celebrates New Year with traditional treats

Cathay Pacific Airways today announced it will celebrate the Chinese New Year with passengers in traditional style, serving festive treats on board flights.

The Lunar New Year is the most important festival in the Chinese calendar. As Hong Kong’s home carrier, Cathay Pacific takes delight in celebrating this joyful season with passengers from all around the world.

Traditional Coconut Pudding and Turnip Pudding will appear on First and Business Class menus as an additional snack option, which in Business will be served between main meals, and in First Class, where all dining is a la carte, whenever the passenger wishes.

These two dishes, created by The Hong Kong Jockey Club’s Clubhouse Restaurant, will be served on all long-haul flights departing Hong Kong from Chinese New Year’s Eve until the fourth day of the New Year, or 8 – 12 February.

Cathay Pacific and The Hong Kong Jockey Club are currently running a joint food promotion, offering passengers dishes from the Club's acclaimed Happy Valley Clubhouse restaurants. This special menu will continue to be served on virtually all Cathay Pacific flights departing Hong Kong until 30 April.

Also, during the first three days of the Chinese New Year, from 9 – 11 February, all Cathay Pacific passengers departing Hong Kong and on selected inbound flights will receive gift boxes containing sweets to bring good fortune this coming year.

First and Business Class passengers will receive Deep Fried Dumplings, Deep Fried Sesame Balls and Honey Coated Walnuts. Economy Class passengers will receive a box also containing Deep Fried Dumplings, also known as Sweet Golden Pockets.

A Treasure Box containing a selection of traditional Chinese New Year snacks, including Sweetened Dried Lotus and Sweetened Dried Winter Melon will be offered in First Class during the first 15 days of the New Year.

Everyone at Cathay Pacific wishes you a very happy and prosperous Year of the Rooster!

Old February 4th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #258
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
February 4, 2005 Friday Home Edition
Airport to initiate cargo flights to Hong Kong starting in August
KIRSTEN TAGAMI

The Atlanta airport is adding cargo flights to Hong Kong, and airport officials hope they could lead to passenger flights as well.

Starting in August, Hong Kong-based Cathay Pacific Airways will fly Boeing 747 freighters out of Hartsfield-Jackson International three times a week, with plans to add more flights, said Doug Wahl, Cathay Pacific's Midwest cargo manager.

He described the service as a "direct link between the world's two fastest-growing regions."

Outbound flights will carry such things as carpets and computer parts, while inbound flights will bring clothing, electronics and other goods, he said.

Cathay Pacific's cargo business is the first step toward passenger flights by the highly rated airline, said Mario Diaz, Hartsfield-Jackson's deputy general manager. Travel and Leisure magazine ranked Cathay Pacific the second-best international airline last year, after Singapore Airlines.

Atlanta has no direct passenger flights to China, although Delta Air Lines is competing for approval of a daily nonstop to Beijing.

Hartsfield-Jackson handles more passengers than any other airport --- about 83 million last year --- but it was 10th in the nation for cargo shipments in 2003. The No. 1 cargo airport is Memphis International, hub for FedEx.

The airport and the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce hope to make Atlanta a top five U.S. cargo airport. Hartsfield-Jackson is working on a cargo master plan, to be completed in June.

Old February 5th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #259
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Leaky fridge forces Cathay Pacific jet to return to Hong Kong

HONG KONG (AP) - A Tokyo-bound Cathay Pacific Airways jet returned to Hong Kong less than an hour after takeoff after a malfunctioning refrigerator caused a fire scare, the airline said Saturday.

No injuries were reported.

Flight CX500, carrying 383 passengers, returned to Hong Kong at 0803 GMT Friday after some passengers reported seeing smoke coming from the flight attendants' galley 45 minutes into the trip, said Cathay spokeswoman Carolyn Leung.

Leung said that passengers mistook the leaking refrigerant, which gave off a strange smell, as smoke.

"They thought they saw smoke but it was a false alarm. There was no fire,'' Leung said.

The passengers were diverted to another Cathay flight in Hong Kong and arrived in Tokyo almost two hours behind schedule, Leung said. - SAP

Old February 6th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #260
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Union fights rest break ruling
The Standard
Jonathan Li
4 February 2005

A decision allowing Cathay Pacific to reduce rest breaks for flight attendants on long-haul flights contravenes a Civil Aviation Department (CAD) requirementand compromises the safety of passengers and crew, a union claims.

The Cathay Pacific Airways Flight Attendants Union is seeking permission from the High Court for a judicial reviewof the Civil Aviation director-general's approval in December of Cathay Pacific's new Approved Flight Time Limitations Scheme.

The scheme, which came into effect on January 1, significantly reduces minimum rest times for cabin crew on long-haul flights, the writ claims.

It contends the director-general's decision violates a CAD provision that aims to prevent fatigue among air crews.

It further argues that the department failed to give due consideration to the provision in arriving at its decision.

According to the writ, the director-general insists his decision is legal and that he is not in breach of statutory duty.

The union stresses the importance of adequate rest for flight attendants on long-haul flights, noting the imperative "to promptly and adequately react and take the necessary safety measures in the event of an emergency or in exceptionalcircumstances requiring their instantand coordinated response."

The union could not be reached for comment.

Cathay Pacific corporate communicationmanager for public affairs Carolyn Leung said: "It would not be appropriate to make any comment at this stage." But she added: "Cathay Pacificstrictly follows the guidelines and regulations of the Civil Aviation Department."

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld