daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #3261
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

CX 725 HKG-KUL

The SMS woke me up with a delay notification of 1 hour. While I appreciate the notice so I won't need to waste time at the airport waiting, it would likely mean I'll miss the sunset photos in a KL rooftop bar later that day.

Check-in was smooth and the wait was short at the Marco Polo / Business Class line. It always is less crowded in these elite rows. The security line stretched a bit but moved along. I was more surprised by the quiet Plaza Premium Lounge near Gate 4, which usually is bursting with people lined up outside like at the Prada store.

The airport signs have changed. I had never seen a hot water sign before. Perhaps it is because so many mainland Chinese fill up their water and tea bottles after security.

In addition to the time change, the gate also changed to 70 - the furthest in the terminal. I took the opportunity to walk along the length of it to look for interesting birds.

Some of the gate signs have been decorated for the Christmas season. Subtle, and not overdone with an army of cartoon characters.

A surprise was Jinair's widebody plane. I have never seen it before and thought they only flew narrowbodies.

With Cathay's rebranding, the livery will change gradually so I need to take more photos of their planes from now on. I still wonder why such a beautiful and classic design needs to be changed.

The paperwork noted boarding time would begin at 1:15pm. That didn't happen. A long line snaked from the gate by the time I arrived at 1:25pm. A non-CX uniformed staff checked my ID and directed me to the priority line, which was nearly empty far ahead on the side. I liked this pro-activeness.

Next to our gate is an A340, a rare bird these days and likely on its way out of the fleet. Oh hey, there is a Mongolian plane passing, too!

The flight attendant directed me to the left of the door. Strange. It is still Economy Class, not Business Class.

We taxied towards the western edge of the runway, with Jin Air's widebody ahead of us.

We took off towards the east just as BA's A380 came for a landing.

There was a weird blue sky glow over the city amidst the clouds.

My coveted city aerial photo opportunities were dashed by clouds that covered us up just off Tsing Yi. I closed my blinds as the sun peeked through and enjoyed some TV shows while the meal was being prepared.

It took quite some time - over an hour - for the meal to come out. Nuts and a round of drinks were served shortly before the meal. It was tasty but with a delayed departure, seemed more afternoon tea than lunch. Lucky I had a fish ball noodle beforehand at the lounge.

Not enough vegetables.

Economy Class has a small cabin of a few rows ahead of the second door. I used to book the smaller back cabin when flying Business Class, but I didn't realize cattle class had something similar. The area is a bit cozy and didn't seem as crowded as out back and there was very good legroom. The A330 is configured 2-4-2 so being at the window, I didn't feel claustrophobic when I need to venture out to the bathroom.

After the meal, we skirted the southern Vietnamese coast. I'm on the wrong side to see Ho Chi Minh City today.

The Discovery magazine has been rebranded. I glanced through the long article about Vienna, which was strange because Cathay doesn't fly there, or anywhere nearby. Perhaps it is a potential new destination?

There was a long article explaining their frustrations with delays, especially to China, and that much of it is out of the airline's control. I take sympathy at them, and point the blame squarely at the Chinese military who controls most of the country's airspace.

The European network has greatly expanded with several new destinations - Manchester, Zurich, and Dusseldorf, for example.

Cathay also operates several "other" flights, such as 5th freedoms out of Taipei. I have flown Osaka - Taipei and Vancouver - New York.

The entertainment selection seemed to have stagnated compared to my last flight with CX in early October. Family Guy still had the same 3 episodes and I dozed off after watching Sex in the City once again.

We descended into a cloudy Kuala Lumpur. There were lots of tall clouds so the descent was at times bumpy.

There isn't much development around KLIA except for palm tree forests that were neatly laid out.

In the distance are a bunch of red AirAsia planes. That must be the controversial new KLIA2, the replacement for the Third World budget terminal.

Time to spot MH's A380s. These won't be around for too long.

Yikes, that's an angry sky.

We touched down an hour late and taxied a long time to the terminal. There weren't too many interesting birds here and the main terminal seemed not too busy at all. But I caught this interesting Saudi bird parked next to us on the way out.

Immigration took forever, with many international flights and only a few counters open. The line snaked around until the ropes could not hold everyone anymore, and it took a long time before officials realized they needed to open another section. I can't expect the same proactiveness and efficiency as in Hong Kong here.

The full report : http://www.globalphotos.org/cx725.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Seljuk, patel2897, Usman ali liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2015, 06:37 PM   #3262
hkskyline
Hong Kong

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

patel2897 liked this post
Old January 9th, 2016, 06:08 AM   #3263
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The world's safest - and least safe - airlines revealed
7 January 2016
The Telegraph Excerpt

The website's star ratings take mutliple factors into account, including whether an airline has been certified by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), if it is on the EU's airline blacklist, its crash record and whether the fleet has been grounded over safety concerns. A star is removed if the airline operates only Russian-made aircraft.

The world's 20 safest airlines (in alphabetical order, bar Qantas)

* Qantas

* Air New Zealand

* Alaska Airlines

* All Nippon Airlines (ANA)

* American Airlines

* Cathay Pacific Airways

* Emirates

* Etihad Airways

* EVA Air

* Finnair

* Hawaiian Airlines

* Japan Airlines

* KLM

* Lufthansa

* Scandinavian Airline System (SAS)

* Singapore Airlines

* Swiss

* United Airlines

* Virgin Atlantic

* Virgin Australia

Old January 9th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #3264
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/627/6278419.html

mrsmartman, patel2897, venom6 liked this post
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #3265
Manazir

Likes (Received): 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The world's safest - and least safe - airlines revealed
7 January 2016
The Telegraph Excerpt

The website's star ratings take mutliple factors into account, including whether an airline has been certified by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), if it is on the EU's airline blacklist, its crash record and whether the fleet has been grounded over safety concerns. A star is removed if the airline operates only Russian-made aircraft.

The world's 20 safest airlines (in alphabetical order, bar Qantas)

* Qantas

* Air New Zealand

* Alaska Airlines

* All Nippon Airlines (ANA)

* American Airlines

* Cathay Pacific Airways

* Emirates

* Etihad Airways

* EVA Air

* Finnair

* Hawaiian Airlines

* Japan Airlines

* KLM

* Lufthansa

* Scandinavian Airline System (SAS)

* Singapore Airlines

* Swiss

* United Airlines

* Virgin Atlantic

* Virgin Australia
No Qatar Airways, Oman Air?? I call BS!

BTW, I've always wondered what makes Qantas the "safest"??

My recently started Travel Blog
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:22 AM   #3266
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
No Qatar Airways, Oman Air?? I call BS! BTW, I've always wondered what makes Qantas the "safest"??
I wouldn't call QR one of the safest after the MIA incident.

QF top priority has always been safety & take it seriously to start.
Old January 10th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #3267
Manazir

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
I wouldn't call QR one of the safest after the MIA incident.

QF top priority has always been safety & take it seriously to start.
Yes but that's just one incident. As if the other Airlines on the list didn't have any accidents before! Some of these airlines actually had some serious accidents in the past! And what about Oman Air?

But safety as top priority goes for many other Airlines, does it not? Most airlines on this list do take it seriously as far as i know so why QF is on the top? They don't exactly have a completely clean record either

Old January 11th, 2016, 03:42 AM   #3268
hkskyline
Hong Kong

You can check out individual airline scores on their website.

Qatar : http://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/17/qatar-airways
Oman : http://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/32/oman-air

More on the ratings : http://www.airlineratings.com/faq.php?cat=1
Old January 19th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #3269
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Airlines flying high
19 January 2016
The Standard Excerpt

Cathay Pacific (0293) and sister airline Dragonair achieved gains in both passenger and cargo numbers last month, beating expectations.

The two airlines carried a combined 2.93 million passengers in December, up 5.8 percent from a year back.

The passenger load factor, or seats occupied per journey, grew 1.5 percentage points to 85 percent while capacity, measured in available seat kilometers, rose 6 percent.

While Cathay operated in fewer routes last Christmas season from a year earlier, 31 against 35, this was balanced by more scheduled capacity on each flight, said Patricia Hwang, general manager for revenue management.

For the whole year, passenger traffic was up 7.9 percent while capacity rose 5.9 percent.

Old January 20th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #3270
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/627/6276879.html

Old January 21st, 2016, 03:48 PM   #3271
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Airline fuel surcharges suspended from Feb. 1
21 January 2016
Hong Kong Economic Journal Excerpt

Starting Feb. 1, airline passengers will no longer pay fuel surcharges for flights originating from Hong Kong, the Civil Aviation Department said.

The CAD said the surcharges are no longer warranted because aviation fuel prices have fallen considerably and stabilized to a reasonable level in recent months, Apple Daily reported.

The fuel surcharges will remain suspended until further notice, the department said.

Legislator Wayne Yiu Si-wing, who represents the tourism functional constituency, said international oil prices have slumped to under US$30 a barrel, which is lower than the prices in 2003, making fuel surcharges unreasonable.

Worldwide Package Travel Service director Yuen Chun-ning said the surcharges have been greatly reduced in recent years, with passengers being asked to pay a fee of only HK$48 for short-haul flights.

Yuen said the small savings are unlikely to spur outbound travel, adding that passengers may need some time to adjust if surcharges are reinstated in the future.

mrsmartman liked this post
Old January 27th, 2016, 02:49 PM   #3272
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Exit the Dragonair as Cathay rebrands
27 January 2016
South China Morning Post Excerpt

Cathay Pacific group is likely to announce a rebranding of its Dragonair subsidiary as "Cathay Dragon" as the company seeks to strengthen its corporate identity.

The idea to strengthen the sister airline's association with the premium airline Cathay Pacific Airways has been under discussion for a few months, sources familiar with the matter told the South China Morning Post.

Cathay's manager of corporate communications, Carolyn Leung, declined to comment on whether the company had any rebranding plans for Dragonair.

"Following the successful launch of Cathay Pacific's new brand ethos and refreshed corporate identity, we have been reviewing Dragonair's overall brand proposition. We will provide more information as appropriate."

The move would put an end to the Dragonair name which was founded by textile magnate Chow Kuang Piu in 1985. The airline was acquired by Cathay in 2006 following a major shareholding realignment involving Cathay's parent Swire Pacific and the Air China Group. Dragonair, which has continued to operate as a separate airline within the group with its own visual identity featuring a red dragon, mainly flies to mainland China and elsewhere in Asia. Its fares are cheaper than Cathay. Sixty per cent of its passengers hold Hong Kong or mainland Chinese passports according to the company.

Will Horton, senior analyst with the Centre for Aviation, said renaming Dragonair "Cathay Dragon" would be a good move at the right time, as the Dragonair brand has weak passenger recognition beyond Greater China and lacked brand association with the larger Cathay group.

"What is critical is that it is not a full-on merger. Maintaining a separate regional unit will allow the group to leverage the stronger and global Cathay brand, while at the same time maintaining Dragonair's traffic rights and lower operating cost."

The rebranding is expected to affect the airline's visual identity across the board - most notably the aircraft livery. But it is not expected to affect Dragonair's holding of a separate air operator's certificate, which allows the group to maximise traffic rights usage.

Old January 28th, 2016, 03:28 AM   #3273
Kreicherisch

Likes (Received): 33

I agree with CX management

mrsmartman liked this post
Kreicherisch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #3274
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

And Cathay Dragon it is.

All images from Cathay Pacific press release or their website.

Intro Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLy1MW1QlAo

Last edited by aznichiro115; January 28th, 2016 at 11:07 AM.
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #3275
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Reborn Dragon ready to soar
29 January 2016
The Standard Excerpt

Cathay Pacific's (0293) sister airline Dragonair has been renamed Cathay Dragon as it seeks better brand recognition outside Asia.

Cathay Pacific chief executive Ivan Chu Kwok- leung stressed the rebranding is not a merger as the two airlines will keep operating under their own licenses.

Cathay Dragon will have a new livery, which shares Cathay Pacific's brushwing logo, but in red instead of green. Dragonair's original dragon emblem is also kept on the nose of the plane. The new design is set to appear for the first time on its Airbus A330-300 aircraft in April.

The group will spend about HK$100 million on promotions, Chu said.

Cathay Dragon covers 53 routes across the Asia-Pacific, including 23 in the mainland, and complements the services of Cathay Pacific, which has more long-haul routes.

Cathay Dragon chief executive Algernon Yau Ying-wah said there will be more upgrades both in software and hardware, including the aircraft interior design. Flight bookings for the Lunar New Year are similar to earlier years with high demand, he noted.

Old January 30th, 2016, 02:17 AM   #3276
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3604

Cathay Dragon Livery
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #3277
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manazir View Post
BTW, I've always wondered what makes Qantas the "safest"??
None of their airplane have had fatal crash in the past decades. That's what probably makes them "safest".
But admittedly, there has been some incidents or even fatalities onboard Qantas flights in recent years.
Old January 30th, 2016, 01:50 PM   #3278
Manazir

Cathay Dragon new livery

Is it just me or the new KA livery actually looks better than the new CX livery??

BTW, for those who know better about Dragonair, I have a question. I got a model aircraft of Dragonair's A330-300 reg. B-HYD, but looking up online, the "real" B-HYD doesn't seem to exist anymore?! So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what happened to that aircraft? Thanks!

Old January 31st, 2016, 12:05 PM   #3279
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old February 16th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #3280
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay pilots slam claim work-to-rule hit airline's growth
31 January 2016
South China Morning Post Excerpt

Dispute escalates as union says postponement of new routes was down to 'gross mismanagement'

The union representing Cathay Pacific pilots has hit back angrily at claims their work-to-rule action has hampered the airline's growth, saying "gross mismanagement" was instead to blame.

Hong Kong Aircrew Officers Association (HKAOA) general secretary Chris Beebe challenged management's assertion that the work-to-rule was to blame for the postponement of new routes and an increase in flight frequency.

In a letter to union members which demonstrates the depth of bad feeling generated by the year-long pilot action, Beebe accused management of trying to pass on blame for its own "poor choices and strategies".

The real cause of the poor performance when business should be flourishing, he argued, was "gross mismanagement of costs with respect to fuel hedging and inciting employee discontent".

Cathay Pacific last night said the letter contained "inaccurate assertions" and insisted it was trying its best to resolve outstanding issues with its pilots.

The union, which represents 2,100 of Cathay's 2,900 pilots, began a work-to-rule in December 2014 over pay and rosters. While the pay issue has been resolved, the dispute over rosters and other issues is continuing.

The letter from Beebe signed on behalf of the union's general committee and sent out on Friday - the day after the rebranding of Dragonair was announced - said: "Do not allow the pomp and ceremony of the rebrand of Cathay Pacific to avert your attention from the reality that the current problems will continue at the airline until it makes a sea change in the manner it chooses to work with its employees." It said the response from Cathay management to increases in cases of pilot fatigue and safety concerns was "nothing short of bromidic".

He accused management of cutting pilot numbers on certain flights to London, reducing training and making "callous attempts to question fatigued pilots who are quite rightly reporting unfit for duty".

Beebe said the company was putting its reputation in jeopardy and said: "The highest levels of [Cathay Pacific and Swire] need to intervene if they desire the impasse broken.

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld