daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #501
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

UPDATED: 08:12, October 24, 2005
Cathay Pacific strengthens cooperation with Air China

Cathay Pacific said Sunday it will strengthen cooperation with Air China, in order to satisfy the need of Chinese mainland's tourists.

From October 28, frequent flyers of Cathay Pacific and Air China are able to accumulate mileage when they fly with each others' airline. This is another important step for Cathay Pacificafter it held 9.99 percent of Air China's shares last year, said Lionel Kwok, chief representative of Cathay in Beijing.

He said Cathay can provide quality service for mainland travelers with its huge network. Transferring via Hong Kong, the major hub in Asia Pacific area, residents of Chinese mainland can fly to north America, Europe and Oceania.

Cathay Pacific now operates 14 weekly flights from Beijing to Hong Kong and three weekly flights from Xiamen to Hong Kong. It also operates 12 weekly cargo flights from Shanghai to Hong Kong. Cathay now flies to 92 destinations of 35 nations and regions.

Source: Xinhua

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #502
Subangite

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
You're right on that Having a flag there doesn't mean that it is a flag-carrier. However almost all (if not all) flag carriers have their respective country flags there
Exactly, Philippine Airlines PAL has US, French and Irish registered planes. It is still however a Philippine Flag carrier.
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #503
Subangite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The UK has several international carriers, notably British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, hence the 'official' status may be questionable, although BA has traditionally been the representative icon of the UK worldwide.
You still haven't said what this official status is? who gives it?

Quote:
Since Hong Kong has only one truly international carrier, it makes sense Cathay is the representative airline of Hong Kong.
Just because it makes sense doesn't make it "official". It might be representative of HK SAR, but it is far from official. It has a defacto status. So if HK hypothetically had 2 or 3 international Airlines as you say its "'official' status may be questionable"? Gee that easy to loose an "official" status ehh? This is such a farce!

Quote:
Time Magazine refers Cathay as Hong Kong's flag carrier in one of its articles a few years back :

But perhaps the most definitive proof of Hong Kong's rebound is the disappearance of deep discounts on airline fares. The best deal still available is from flag carrier Cathay Pacific, aimed at travelers from the U.S.: a round-trip ticket from San Francisco, Los Angeles or New York costs $999, and includes a further stop in one of 17 other Asian cities. Lufthansa offers one of the best fares from Europe, from London for $795.

Source : "Hong Kong's Back!", Oct. 06, 2003 issue of TIME Asia Magazine
Just because Time Magazine quotes Cathay Pacific as a flag carrier doesn't make it so? The media has always gotten things wrong without checking on the facts, It is a very common misunderstanding that Cathay is HK's flag carrier. Plus under what authority can a magazine give this designation. Like I've said a flag carrier is a contradiction of terms, HK is not an independent state, its only a Special Administrative Region of the Peoples Republic, if anything it'll be the a PRC flag carrier not Hong Kong because HK is not a state! With this same logic, Ryan Air is Stansted flag carrier! Alaska Airlines is Seattle's Flag carrier!

Quote:
Sometimes flag carriers and official carriers coincide.
Where do get this, sometimes flag carriers and official carriers coincide?? Can you justify your statement? You can have official carriers for sports promotions, football clubs, international events, i.e. the world cup, Man utd tour of Asia, an official carrier for the All Blacks team. Swiss Int' Air Lines is the official carrier for the European International Particle Accelerator Conference and so forth. You don't find however is an official carrier for city!!! You don't also find flag carriers for a city, because a flag carrier is a term associated with countries!!!!

Quote:
In many countries, one single international carrier is marketed with the country as a tourism ploy. It is in this context that Cathay is Hong Kong's official carrier,
With our simplistic understanding and logic of the term, this would mean Singapore Airlines is Australia's "official" carrier!! Singapore Airlines has signed a 12 Million AUD MOU with Tourism Australia to promote Australian Tourism. If this is what it takes to become an "official" carrier by what you say, then ladies and gents, Singapore Airlines is Australia's "official" carrier!

Quote:
just as Swiss is the represetative symbol of Switzerland and Air Canada being Canada's international airline.
Like I've said, and you just said it, "many countries", Plus you quoted "Switzerland, Canada," they are all countries!! HK is not a country!

Quote:
Without getting too technical, there may be multiple carriers with the same country flag, but not necessarily multiple 'official carriers' for worldwide tourism marketing purposes. I highly doubt the British will use bmi for its worldwide tourism campaign, for example.
Countries don't just use their own home Airlines to market a global tourism campaign!! If by your definition an official carrier is one for worldwide tourism marketing pruposes then with Tourism Australia is using Singapore Airlines, your definition would be SIA the "official" Airline of Australia!

Come on, like I've said "official" airline term is never used for cities or countries, it is used for worldwide events, the world cup and so on, as I've said earlier. Thus Cathay is not an "official" airline! Nor is it a Flag carrier!
Old October 24th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #504
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite
You still haven't said what this official status is? who gives it?
Governments rarely give an 'official airline' trophy. Rather this is determined through evidence displayed from business and government relationships. For example, Cathay planes are the only planes in Hong Kong that have a full Asia's World City logo, which was created by the government for international branding purposes. Even Dragonair doesn't have that logo on its planes.

For larger countries with multiple international carriers, government and businesses have a choice in using one or many carriers for their international marketing campaigns. Hence the notion of an 'official' carrier may be questionable. This is such the case in the United States. In Hong Kong, the tourism authority is not going to use Dragonair to market to European and North American tourists.

Quote:
Just because Time Magazine quotes Cathay Pacific as a flag carrier doesn't make it so? The media has always gotten things wrong without checking on the facts, It is a very common misunderstanding that Cathay is HK's flag carrier. Plus under what authority can a magazine give this designation. Like I've said a flag carrier is a contradiction of terms, HK is not an independent state, its only a Special Administrative Region of the Peoples Republic, if anything it'll be the a PRC flag carrier not Hong Kong because HK is not a state! With this same logic, Ryan Air is Stansted flag carrier! Alaska Airlines is Seattle's Flag carrier!
TIME's labelling of Cathay as the flag carrier actually confirms Cathay's special status as a representative international symbol of Hong Kong, in line with my hypothesis that Cathay is Hong Kong's official international carrier. Once again, it goes back to my point that a truly official carrier should have international connectivity and the support of both the local government and businesses.

Quote:
Where do get this, sometimes flag carriers and official carriers coincide?? Can you justify your statement? You can have official carriers for sports promotions, football clubs, international events, i.e. the world cup, Man utd tour of Asia, an official carrier for the All Blacks team. Swiss Int' Air Lines is the official carrier for the European International Particle Accelerator Conference and so forth. You don't find however is an official carrier for city!!! You don't also find flag carriers for a city, because a flag carrier is a term associated with countries!!!!
Take a look at Canada as an example. Flag carriers include Air Canada and Westjet. However, the official international carrier is much more likely Air Canada and Westjet, since Westjet is very much a North American airline and not an international one like AC.

I'm not talking about carriers for events, organizations, and clubs. I'm talking about the big picture - when you see a tourism ad for a place, what airline would you associate with that place? When people think of the UK, their traditional image will be a British Airways plane, just as people think of France with an Air France plane and Germany with a Lufthansa jet. As the skies get more crowded, these images may change. Hong Kong's airlines are rapidly diversifying regionally and internationally. Perhaps in another decade, Cathay might have a truly international home-based rival.

Does a one-off ploy by a carrier in a tourism marketing campaign make it an official airline? Of course not. That's a very simplistic interpretation of 'working relationship'. Cathay has been a major partner with the Hong Kong Tourism Association for decades. Has Qantas relinquished its working relationship to Singapore Airlines for the Australian government decades ago?

Just because Hong Kong is not a country doesn't mean it can't have an official airline for tourism marketing purposes. This is clearly false as evidenced by an actual working relationship between local businesses, government, and Cathay.

I believe you are confused with official airlines for events and organizations and my view of it as an international marketing ploy for a city/country/region.

Is Cathay not representative of Hong Kong? This is hardly true.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #505
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

So now we are talking about 'representitive', 'official' or 'Flag Carrier' ?

I am now confused!

All I know is that a government would usually step in to help a flag carrier. Just like how Helen Clarke (NZ PM) had to go to Aussie over NZ Air's Ansett fiasco
Old October 24th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #506
Subangite

Quote:
Governments rarely give an 'official airline' trophy. Rather this is determined through evidence displayed from business and government relationships. For example, Cathay planes are the only planes in Hong Kong that have a full Asia's World City logo, which was created by the government for international branding purposes. Even Dragonair doesn't have that logo on its planes.
Government NEVER gives the "official" airline trophy! There is no such thing as an official airline of a city!! World city logo is a marketing ploy and does not make it HK's official airline!

Quote:
I'm not talking about carriers for events, organizations, and clubs. I'm talking about the big picture - when you see a tourism ad for a place, what airline would you associate with that place? When people think of the UK, their traditional image will be a British Airways plane, just as people think of France with an Air France plane and Germany with a Lufthansa jet. As the skies get more crowded, these images may change. Hong Kong's airlines are rapidly diversifying regionally and internationally. Perhaps in another decade, Cathay might have a truly international home-based rival.
It still doesn't make them the official airline does it? I think Germany, I think Lufthansa, I think Italy, I think Alitalia, but the German and Italian governments do not give them the "official" status! It has nothing to do with association! Who cares if I associate these airlines with these countries, it irrelavent and doesn't make them OFFICIAL!!

Quote:
Does a one-off ploy by a carrier in a tourism marketing campaign make it an official airline? Of course not. That's a very simplistic interpretation of 'working relationship'. Cathay has been a major partner with the Hong Kong Tourism Association for decades. Has Qantas relinquished its working relationship to Singapore Airlines for the Australian government decades ago?
Its not a 1 off marketing campaign, SIA has been promoting Australia for a very long time working with tourism Australia! Anyways You claim that an official airline is one that works with the authorities to promote the tourism of a place, like I said, this is unrealistic and too narrow of a scope, governments have never just only use their national airlines. So my point is that your usage of the term official airlines is already flawed!

Quote:
Just because Hong Kong is not a country doesn't mean it can't have an official airline for tourism marketing purposes. This is clearly false as evidenced by an actual working relationship between local businesses, government, and Cathay.
Just because they have a marketing arrangement does not make them an official status.

Quote:
I believe you are confused with official airlines for events and organizations and my view of it as an international marketing ploy for a city/country/region.
I believe you're under the impression that marketing a city constitutes an official status, it does not!

What has Swiss Int' Air Lines the official carrier for the European International Particle Accelerator Conference, got to do with Switzerland? The airline partnership is coordinated not by the city of country but by the marketing officials of the event and airline.

An official airline for an event, team, has more to do with advertising of an airline for that particular event than a marketing ploy for the city.

Quote:
Is Cathay not representative of Hong Kong? This is hardly true.
I did not say cathay is not representative of HK. But being representative of HK doesn't make it "official".

Ibearia is representative of Spain, but its not an "official" airline of Spain.

Royal Brunei Airlines(RBA) is a flag carrier, a state owned carrier, representative of Brunei, Royal Brunei also markets and has does joint promotion of Brunei with Tourism Brunei, this still however does not make them an "official" airline of the sultanate.

Nowhere does RBA they state or have ever stated that they are the "official" airline of Brunei, just like nowhere does Cathay state they are the "official" airline of HK!

Last edited by Subangite; October 25th, 2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #507
hkskyline
Hong Kong

國泰貨機一引擎故障關閉
消防戒備 安全降落

2005年10月24日
明報

【明報專訊】一架國泰航空公司波音747型號貨機,昨午由日本飛往香港途中,機長發現其中一個引擎故障,將之關掉,在臨降落前14分鐘,機長通知赤角機場控制塔戒備,貨機最終安全陸,無人受傷。

據了解,波音747共有4組噴射引擎,若其中1個出現故障關掉,對飛行不會構成嚴重危險,機師受訓時亦會接受有關情的應變訓練。

機管局發言人說,該架航班編號為CX2025的國泰波音747貨機,於昨午由日本起飛,但至傍晚6時43分,機長通知香港機場控制塔,指貨機其中一個引擎故障,已經關掉,要求機場戒備。控制塔馬上通知消防派出多輛消防車候命,14分鐘後,貨機安全降落,有關方面正調查引擎故障起因。資料指出,國泰現擁有10 多架波音747貨機,每月平均載貨量超過8萬公噸。

Old October 25th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #508
hkskyline
Hong Kong

25 October 2005
Corporate Press Release
Cathay Pacific to add fifth daily service to Seoul

Cathay Pacific Airways today announced the addition of a fifth daily flight to Seoul, South Korea, offering passengers even greater coverage of services throughout the day and further strengthening connections across its Hong Kong hub.

The new non-stop service, starting 27 January 2006, will depart Hong Kong shortly after midnight, arriving early morning in the South Korean capital. The return flight from Seoul will be the first departure for Hong Kong from the city and will arrive before noon.

The new service will complement the airline’s existing schedule. The late-night Hong Kong departure will enable business travellers to make the most of the workday and connect with inbound services from Bangkok, Australia and New Zealand.

The return leg will principally make onward connections to Denpasar and points in Australia. Of the airline’s four other daily Seoul services, three are non-stop. The new service, for which final details remain subject to government approval, will also operate non-stop.

Cathay Pacific Director Corporate Development Augustus Tang said: “A fifth daily Cathay Pacific flight to and from Seoul capitalises on the growing enthusiasm for business and in particular leisure for travel to and from South Korea. Its schedule offers customers a new product and the prospect of easier access to more points across Cathay Pacific’s network, strengthening Hong Kong as a global hub.”

Old October 27th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #509
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Savills hired to handle Cathay staff housing
26 October 2005
South China Morning Post

Cathay Pacific has outsourced its housing service for 3,000 Hong Kong-based staff in what is probably the largest exercise of its kind in the city.

After mulling over the matter for about five years, the Hong Kong-headquartered airline has assigned all housing tasks to Savills.

Cathay's housing team used to handle tasks ranging from housing policy administration, tenancy management and orientation services for expatriates to property searches and general property advice.

Chris Marriott, Savills' deputy managing director and head of leasing, said the Cathay account was 20 to 30 times bigger than any of its other outsourcing accounts. Savills handled about 10 to 15 outsourcing accounts representing about 700 tenancies, he said.

A Cathay Pacific spokeswoman said the outsourcing was prompted more by a need for in-depth staff housing services than by cost-cutting concerns.

"We have a huge number of staff, and we had to seek professional advice on our service anyway, so we thought it would be a good idea to outsource to a one-stop service provider," she said.

One of the great benefits of the outsourcing would be the orientation service for expatriates newly arrived in Hong Kong. Previously, this was handled chiefly by the company's human resources department, the spokeswoman said.

According to Savills, Cathay used to have a team of 10 to 12 people to handle services for staff eligible for housing benefits.

"It certainly helps to free up some of our manpower in a non-core area," the spokeswoman said.

Savills has employed most of the Cathay housing service team to handle the airline's needs. Neither Savills nor Cathay Pacific would confirm how many members of the original team would be retained.

Because of the diverse nature of Cathay's housing allowance budget for its 3,000 staff, Savills, which focuses mainly on luxury residential transactions, would subcontract some of the work to local agencies with a greater exposure to the mass market, such as Midland Realty and Centaline, Mr Marriott said.

The greatest challenge would be to maintain quality control over third-party agencies, he said. Agencies would be screened for their due diligence practices to ensure service standards were maintained.

Old October 28th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #510
hkskyline
Hong Kong

27 October 2005
Corporate Press Release
Cathay Pacific to commence Beijing codeshare flights

Cathay Pacific Airways’ new code share services to Beijing with Air China will take off 30 October, offering wider customer choice and strengthening Hong Kong’s gateway position to the Chinese Mainland.

Air China will place its code on 10 weekly Cathay Pacific flights to the capital and Cathay Pacific will do the same on three daily return flights operated by the national carrier.

At the same time, a partnership between each airline’s frequent flier programme will come into effect. Full membership benefits, including miles accumulation and redemption, will be granted to passengers ticketed on both carriers, as will lounge access to qualifying passengers.

The combined membership of the Air China Companion and Asia Miles rewards programmes totals almost 6 million customers. Cathay Pacific acquired a 10 percent strategic shareholding in Air China at its initial public offering last year in Hong Kong.

Cathay Pacific General Manager Sales Hong Kong & China Clement Lam said: “Cathay Pacific’s codeshare with Air China to Beijing will provide much greater choice, particularly for passengers connecting through Hong Kong. This latest advance in our partnership will offer an even more attractive proposition to customers of both carriers and strengthen the hub status of their respective home bases.”

Old October 29th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #511
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By Bowen Chau from HKADB :

Old October 31st, 2005, 01:42 AM   #512
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Government NEVER gives the "official" airline trophy! There is no such thing as an official airline of a city!! World city logo is a marketing ploy and does not make it HK's official airline!
The World City logo is only available on Cathay's airplanes. No other airline is authorized to put that logo on its planes because Cathay has an agreement with the Hong Kong government for marketing and tourism purposes. Why would the Hong Kong government allow Cathay to use its logo for their own marketing purposes? Logically, it goes back to Cathay's worldwide network, superior service, and association in the international community that it is a symbol of Hong Kong. Whenever the Hong Kong Tourism Association promotes Hong Kong abroad, especially for long-haul destinations, Cathay Pacific will come to mind.

In fact, this 'official' status is more a marketing tool rather than some award or designation explicitly given by the government. But in the minds of foreigners, the association is there, just as foreigners will look at British Airways as the representative symbol of the UK. The associations are so strong at times that they may seem official as well. For example, BA may be the British's official airline because the only way to get to the UK from the far corners of the world is through BA. In countries where there are multiple international carriers, this image will be blurred, such as in the US.

Would other subordinate carriers be allowed to carry official government symbols on their planes? I hardly think so. Government symbols are a well-guarded proprietary item. They won't just fly off the shelves and go anywhere and everywhere. Cathay has won the right to advertise Hong Kong on its planes, oftentimes co-operating with the government to bring special liveries to promote Hong Kong to the world. This close working relationship is rivalled by no other airline, hence reinforcing Cathay's image as Hong Kong's official airline.

Obviously there is no press release that explicitly says so, but from all the circumstantial evidence, it's very obvious that Cathay is a lot more than just a Hong Kong-based airline.

Quote:
Its not a 1 off marketing campaign, SIA has been promoting Australia for a very long time working with tourism Australia! Anyways You claim that an official airline is one that works with the authorities to promote the tourism of a place, like I said, this is unrealistic and too narrow of a scope, governments have never just only use their national airlines. So my point is that your usage of the term official airlines is already flawed!
This is a matter of consistency. Cathay is consistently being used by the Hong Kong government for tourism purposes, as evidenced by their international marketing campaigns and the Hong Kong brand logo on its planes. Would you see an Australian tourism advertisement in the US promoting SIA? Of course not. While some foreign carriers may be used for specific tourism markets, is SIA's relationship with the Australian tourism authorities consistently all-encompassing? No. Would Qantas be ditched from advertising Australia in exchange for SIA? No. Which airline would get the bulk of Australia's promotion business worldwide? I'd think it would be a home-grown carrier.

Old October 31st, 2005, 07:53 AM   #513
Subangite

Quote:
The World City logo is only available on Cathay's airplanes. No other airline is authorized to put that logo on its planes because Cathay has an agreement with the Hong Kong government for marketing and tourism purposes. Why would the Hong Kong government allow Cathay to use its logo for their own marketing purposes? Logically, it goes back to Cathay's worldwide network, superior service, and association in the international community that it is a symbol of Hong Kong. Whenever the Hong Kong Tourism Association promotes Hong Kong abroad, especially for long-haul destinations, Cathay Pacific will come to mind.

In fact, this 'official' status is more a marketing tool rather than some award or designation explicitly given by the government. But in the minds of foreigners, the association is there, just as foreigners will look at British Airways as the representative symbol of the UK. The associations are so strong at times that they may seem official as well. For example, BA may be the British's official airline because the only way to get to the UK from the far corners of the world is through BA. In countries where there are multiple international carriers, this image will be blurred, such as in the US.

Would other subordinate carriers be allowed to carry official government symbols on their planes? I hardly think so. Government symbols are a well-guarded proprietary item. They won't just fly off the shelves and go anywhere and everywhere. Cathay has won the right to advertise Hong Kong on its planes, oftentimes co-operating with the government to bring special liveries to promote Hong Kong to the world. This close working relationship is rivalled by no other airline, hence reinforcing Cathay's image as Hong Kong's official airline.

Obviously there is no press release that explicitly says so, but from all the circumstantial evidence, it's very obvious that Cathay is a lot more than just a Hong Kong-based airline.

This is a matter of consistency. Cathay is consistently being used by the Hong Kong government for tourism purposes, as evidenced by their international marketing campaigns and the Hong Kong brand logo on its planes. Would you see an Australian tourism advertisement in the US promoting SIA? Of course not. While some foreign carriers may be used for specific tourism markets, is SIA's relationship with the Australian tourism authorities consistently all-encompassing? No. Would Qantas be ditched from advertising Australia in exchange for SIA? No. Which airline would get the bulk of Australia's promotion business worldwide? I'd think it would be a home-grown carrier.

Can you just show to me where cathay has ever stated that they are the official airline of HK? Or the HK local government stating that Cathay is HK's official airline? I can't find it on Cathays website nor the HKSAR government site. Is this "official" airline of HK something that you have coined up to describe the government airline relationship that is present? In that case it is official only to you.

If YOU can show me otherwise, show to all that Cathay does state somewhere publicly, in a press statement or other public forms that they are the "official" airline of HK, or this same recognition by the HKSAR authorities, and that they use the word "official", I'll agree with you that they are the official airline. If YOU can not, then it is a term only YOU have used to describe Cathay Pacific, it is not recognised by the both parties nor is it officially sanctioned.
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:07 PM   #514
hkskyline
Hong Kong

31 October 2005
Corporate Press Release
Cathay Pacific celebrates Seniors’ Day with 50 percent discount

Cathay Pacific today announced a special offer to celebrate this year’s Senior Citizens' Day on the 20 November 2005. The offer is open to senior citizens in Hong Kong and, for the first time, Macau.

Cathay Pacific is offering a 50 percent discount to people aged 65 or over on Economy Class fares to selected destinations. For seniors who wish to travel with an adult companion aged below 65, their companion will enjoy a 20 percent discount.

Special discount destinations include: Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Manila Cebu, Jakarta, Denpasar, Surabaya, Colombo, Karachi, Ho Chi Minh City, Taipei, Sydney, London and Los Angeles.

Tickets must be purchased from 1-10 November and travel must be completed between 1 November 2005 and 18 January 2006. The offer is valid for Cathay Pacific-operated flights originating from Hong Kong. Asia Miles accrual is subject to individual fare type eligibility.

Cathay Pacific General Manager Sales Hong Kong & China Clement Lam said: “As the airline of Hong Kong, we encourage Hong Kong citizens to explore the world and share with their loved ones. Cathay Pacific’s half-price offer for seniors on tickets from Sydney to Bangkok and Los Angeles to London is a great opportunity to reunite with family and friends or simply to take that trip they always promised themselves.”

Terms and conditions apply. For reservations please contact your travel agent, call Cathay Pacific on 2747-1577 or visit www.cathaypacific.com.hk

Old November 1st, 2005, 06:11 AM   #515
HSBC
HSBC

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
31 October 2005
Corporate Press Release
Cathay Pacific celebrates Seniors’ Day with 50 percent discount

Cathay Pacific today announced a special offer to celebrate this year’s Senior Citizens' Day on the 20 November 2005. The offer is open to senior citizens in Hong Kong and, for the first time, Macau.

Cathay Pacific is offering a 50 percent discount to people aged 65 or over on Economy Class fares to selected destinations. For seniors who wish to travel with an adult companion aged below 65, their companion will enjoy a 20 percent discount.

Special discount destinations include: Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Manila Cebu, Jakarta, Denpasar, Surabaya, Colombo, Karachi, Ho Chi Minh City, Taipei, Sydney, London and Los Angeles.

Tickets must be purchased from 1-10 November and travel must be completed between 1 November 2005 and 18 January 2006. The offer is valid for Cathay Pacific-operated flights originating from Hong Kong. Asia Miles accrual is subject to individual fare type eligibility.

Cathay Pacific General Manager Sales Hong Kong & China Clement Lam said: “As the airline of Hong Kong, we encourage Hong Kong citizens to explore the world and share with their loved ones. Cathay Pacific’s half-price offer for seniors on tickets from Sydney to Bangkok and Los Angeles to London is a great opportunity to reunite with family and friends or simply to take that trip they always promised themselves.”

Terms and conditions apply. For reservations please contact your travel agent, call Cathay Pacific on 2747-1577 or visit www.cathaypacific.com.hk

If we look at the underlined sentence, which is said by the manager of Cathay Pacific, it clearly states that cathay Pacific is the airline of Hong Kong!
No one can argue that Cathay pacific is a HK airline.
HSBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:34 AM   #516
Subangite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSBC
If we look at the underlined sentence, which is said by the manager of Cathay Pacific, it clearly states that cathay Pacific is the airline of Hong Kong!
No one can argue that Cathay pacific is a HK airline.
I am not arguing that Cathay is a HK airline or not. Infact I agree it is a HK airline. Thats not the point of debate, what has been in question is stating it is HK's "official" airline, using the term "official" is a misnomer! Nowhere has Cathay have ever stated that they are the "official" airline!

Like I've posted before it is also not a "flag" carrier, since it is not a sovereign nation.

It is merely an HK carrier, the largets international HK airline, the HK airline.

Declaring Cathay a flag carrier, an official carrier is a misnomer, an erroneous and inaccurate use of these terms.
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:14 AM   #517
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
I am not arguing that Cathay is a HK airline or not. Infact I agree it is a HK airline. Thats not the point of debate, what has been in question is stating it is HK's "official" airline, using the term "official" is a misnomer! Nowhere has Cathay have ever stated that they are the "official" airline!

Like I've posted before it is also not a "flag" carrier, since it is not a sovereign nation.

It is merely an HK carrier, the largets international HK airline, the HK airline.

Declaring Cathay a flag carrier, an official carrier is a misnomer, an erroneous and inaccurate use of these terms.
Seriously, whether HK is an "official" is not even an important point. I don't care whether they are "official".
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM   #518
hkskyline
Hong Kong

01 November 2005
Corporate Press Release
Cathay Pacific teams up with Sony Computer Entertainment Hong Kong limited on lounge GameZone

Cathay Pacific Airways today launched a unique collaboration with Sony Computer Entertainment Hong Kong Limited (SCEH) to create a “GameZone” in its flagship Hong Kong departure lounge, The Wing.

This is the first time that SCEH has teamed up with an airline on such a project in Hong Kong.

Equipped with some of the latest games, the GameZone will offer passengers – both children and adults – a total mood contrast to the tranquillity of the rest of the lounge environment, which will still be preserved with the help of noise-reduction headphones on game consoles.

Working with SCEH, There will be 11 popular game software titles such as the world’s best selling real driving simulator “GRAN TURISMO®4”, motion sensitive game to bring users new experience “EyeToy: Play2”, the newest product of the series with the most mischievous monkeys “Ape Escape 3”, “Gundam vs Z Gundam” and “Taiko No Ta Tsuujin Super Animeith”, in which passengers can try out as a rock band drummer.

Cathay Pacific Director Service Delivery Quince Chong said: “As part of our ongoing commitment in search for service excellence, we are proud to introduce a new element in our award-winning lounge, The Wing. Cathay Pacific’s GameZone provides a unique diversion for our young passengers – along with their young-at-heart parents and no doubt business travellers keen to let off a bit of steam before relaxing in-flight. It’s just another difference to our service that makes Cathay Pacific the airline of the year*.”

Sony Computer Entertainment Asia’s Corporate Executive Managing Director & Senior Vice President of Asia Business & Control Division Mr Tetsuhiko Yasuda said: “We are very happy and excited to have a chance to bring PlayStation®2 to ‘Cathay Pacific Game Zone’. PlayStation®2 is a most favourite computer entertainment platform in homes around the world. In order to offer more pleasure we came up to prepare a world wide known real driving simulator game including many classic and modern cars, GRAN TURISMO®4 with the latest and already released titles at start. With these joyful titles we hope to share a wonderful ‘PlayStation®2’ game experience to all VIP passengers before on board.”

Cathay Pacific’s two premium lounges, The Wing and The Pier, at the Hong Kong International airport provide abundant space for passengers to relax and plenty of choice for those looking to eat before their flight.

Both The Wing and The Pier were named “The World’s Best Airline Lounges”, “Best First Class Lounge” and “Best Business Class Lounge” in the Skytrax Research for 2004 and 2005.

Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:08 AM   #519
HSBC
HSBC

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:

yeah...I don't understand why you make a fuss drilling on these "official" or "flag" carrier terms. anyway, I don't really care and I'm quite proud that Cathay Pacific, a HK airline, is the world's no. 1 international Airline!

Even for those so called flag or official airlines, and if they are crappy in terms of anything, are these kind of terms/name important in anyway???
HSBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:51 AM   #520
Subangite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSBC
yeah...I don't understand why you make a fuss drilling on these "official" or "flag" carrier terms. anyway, I don't really care and I'm quite proud that Cathay Pacific, a HK airline, is the world's no. 1 international Airline!

Even for those so called flag or official airlines, and if they are crappy in terms of anything, are these kind of terms/name important in anyway???
Its like calling an apple, a orange. Lets not miss use words shall we.

Its not important but don't just declare this and that, grabbing terms thoughtlessly straight from the air because it simply sounds nice. Don't talk of terms without a clue of what they mean. That is called ignorance!

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld