daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #821
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

Cathay signs up for Iridium network
28 November 2006
Flight International

Cathay Pacific Airways has become the first airline customer to sign for Arinc's Iridium global satellite communications network services, writes Leithen Francis. Arinc says the Hong Kong-based carrier will install the Iridium satellite telephone system on seven Boeing 747-200 freighters."When our freighters are out of VHF range, flightcrews will be able to pick up [an Iridium] phone and make a call to our integrated operations centre or vice-versa," according to Cathay flight operations general manager Russell Davie.The Iridium voice solution uses a compact avionics package and antenna from the International Communications Group. The Newport News, Virginia company already had a supplemental type certificate for installation of the equipment on 747s and one of the Cathay 747-200Fs has already has the equipment installed.Iridium is a constellation of 66 orbiting satellites.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #822
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific and Air China jointly named CAPA Airline of the Year
10 November 2006
Corporate Press Release

Cathay Pacific Airways has announced it has received further significant achievement awards from industry peers.

The Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA), at its Aviation Outlook Summit conference on 9 November, named Cathay Pacific, jointly with Air China, as the CAPA Airline of the Year. CAPA is Asia-Pacific's only major independent aviation "think tank" based in Sydney.

In presenting the award to Cathay Pacific Chief Executive Philip Chen and Li Jia Xiang, Chairman of Air China, at a presentation dinner in Singapore, CAPA Executive Chairman Peter Harbison said "the Air China-Cathay Pacific partnership promises to unlock significant gains in efficiency, productivity and network strength. The breakthrough agreement has significant competitive ramifications throughout Asia and beyond, as well as potentially influencing policy settings that could unleash further growth in the industry."

Said Mr Chen: "I am delighted to receive this award on behalf of Cathay Pacific and honoured to share it with our partner Air China. The synergies between Cathay Pacific, Dragonair and Air China are there, and all those involved are committed to making a success of the far-sighted deal that has brought the three carriers together."

The CAPA Airline of the Year is awarded annually to the airline that has had the greatest impact on the development of the airline industry in the region, established itself as a leader and created a benchmark for others to follow.

Cargo was also hauled into the spot light at the same event as CX was named CAPA Cargo Airline of the Year - awarded to the cargo airline that has had the greatest impact on the development of the region's air cargo industry.

The Aviation Outlook Summit is an annual platform for senior executives from the region's major airlines, airports and government agencies.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:42 AM   #823
hkskyline
Hong Kong

It takes top management skills to ensure that every interaction between Cathay Pacific staff and its customers goes without a hitch
2 December 2006
South China Morning Post

IF YOU HAVE a ninth-floor office in the "Cathay City" complex at Chek Lap Kok, you can legitimately claim to have made it in the airline business.

This is where you will find Quince Chong Wai-yan, the director of service delivery for Cathay Pacific Airways, and it is her centre of operations for running what amounts to a small army of about 10,000 staff.

Ms Chong is responsible for ensuring that every interaction between the airline and members of the public, whether on the ground or in the air, runs without a hitch. As a result, not only do all the airline's frontline staff ultimately report to her, but also everyone who works behind the scenes in the kitchen and laundry departments.

It is a huge task, but just the sort of challenge Ms Chong is used to tackling. She developed the necessary skills when working as senior manager of public relations for the Hong Kong Tourism Board leading up to the handover in 1997. At that time, her role involved addressing the perceptions of overseas visitors after the handover, as well as projecting the correct image of Hong Kong to people on the mainland.

"It was a very tough but exciting time," she said. "I had very long working hours, finishing my day at around two in the morning and starting again at eight, but I felt I played a role in witnessing an historical moment for Hong Kong. I felt like an ambassador."

The year after the handover, the new international airport opened and Ms Chong joined Cathay Pacific Airways as head of corporate communications. The timing was unfortunate because the airline became embroiled in a protracted industrial dispute with pilots, which culminated in a strike in 1999.

Though only six months into the job, Ms Chong had to step forward. It was up to her to manage the company's communications strategy, with no previous knowledge of the issues at stake.

"I had no operational experience and no airline background, but I had to face the press every day for six weeks," she said. "As you can imagine, it was a very stressful period."

Nevertheless, she came through the ordeal with flying colours, and two years later was offered the position of general manager of in-flight services. There, she was in charge of more than 5,500 cabin crew and had to develop in-flight food, safety and service "products".

Confirmation of success came with her appointment as a director of the group's catering services division, and subsequently to the chair of associated companies handling laundry and airport services.

Inevitably there is a lot of pressure, but Ms Chong still finds the job fascinating and enjoys every moment.

"The airline is just so dynamic," she said. "It's not just about selling seats, it is actually about the experience [of flying], and you can be very creative with the many products and services that you offer."

In day-to-day terms, the hardest thing is to find the right balance between managing costs and improving service quality. This constant search for ways to enhance the "customer experience" can lead to both highs and lows.

"People are where my happiness and my sorrow lie," Ms Chong said. "I have some very passionate customers who always give me a lot of feedback and positive comments. At the same time, I also have some very frustrating passengers who keep complaining."

She makes every effort to ensure that staff interact positively with customers, and reminds them that they may only have one chance to get things right.

"I believe that every [person] encountering a customer has one moment of truth. It can be a positive moment or it can be a lousy experience for the passenger," she said.

One key to her effectiveness as a manager has been her ability to remember names.

"By calling my cabin crew by their names they are impressed and feel that I do recognise and respect them. That is a great motivation," she said.

Although outnumbered by male colleagues on the executive floor, Ms Chong has never considered herself a woman in a man's world. This, she said, may be because she has some qualities regarded as typically male.

"I walk very fast and I talk very fast," she said. "I consider myself physically strong and I have a very strong character. I'm also not too worried about failure."

But there are times when being a woman executive is tough.

"We have many hats to wear, many roles to play. At home you need to be a wife, a mother and you have to be good to your parents and your mother-in-law. At work you are the supervisor of your staff. You have to strike a good balance," she said.

In days gone by, it was not always possible to find the necessary balance. When her two boys were babies (they are now 11 and 14), she worked long hours at the Hong Kong Tourism Board and hardly had any family time.

"That is the only regret I have," she said. "When I look back I really have very little memory of the time I spent with my youngest boy before he was three years old."

When she joined Cathay Pacific, Ms Chong and her husband agreed that he would work from home to help look after the boys. This has been a blessing and, now that the boys are older, she and her husband have more time for themselves.

It has allowed Ms Chong the freedom to start singing lessons and take part in some voluntary work. She serves on the Council of The Open University, and an ad hoc government committee that considers curriculum development for gifted children. She is also chairman of the Hong Kong Association for Customer Service Excellence.

"As the chairman, I will be able to learn a lot to help Cathay, to drive our service standards to new heights," she said.

"At the same time, we can share our experience with other organisations {hellip} and contribute to the success of Hong Kong's economy."

Old December 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #824
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific honoured twice for community commitment at 2006 volunteer awards
4 December 2006
Corporate Press Release

Cathay Pacific Airways has once again been recognised for its commitment to community service and youth development, winning two awards at the Volunteer Awards 2006 organised by the Hong Kong SAR Government’s Social Welfare Department.

The annual awards acknowledge contributions made by Hong Kong companies to the local community and are part of the Department’s wider Volunteer Movement, which promotes corporate social responsibility and care in the community. This year’s awards were presented on Saturday, 2 December by Mrs. Selina Tsang, wife of the Chief Executive and Volunteer-in-Chief, and Mr. Paul Tang, JP, Director of Social Welfare.

For the third consecutive year, Cathay Pacific was named Champion in the “Highest Service Hour Award (2005) (Private Organisation - Best Customer Participation)” category. This award recognises Cathay Pacific’s various community initiatives that include the “I Can Fly” programme, in which 1,000 young people aged 13-18 years take part in aviation education and community service activities.

The airline also won a Merit honour in the “Highest Service Hour Award (2005) (Private Organisation – Category One)” award, recognising the efforts of its staff in volunteering for “I Can Fly” and other community activities such as the Sunnyside Club, which cares for handicapped youngsters. At the same time, Dorothy Mak, one of the student volunteers from “I Can Fly”, received the Hong Kong Outstanding Youth Volunteering Award.

Cathay Pacific Director Personnel William Chau stressed the airline’s ongoing commitment to support the local community and help young people reach for their dreams. “As Hong Kong’s airline it is a great honour to receive these awards, which are a tribute to the hard work of all those who make our various community programmes possible,” said Mr. Chau.

Joining the ceremony were a number of Cathay Pacific staff who have made a significant contribution to the airline’s community activities. “I Can Fly” volunteer Karen Yung said that joining the programme gave her a chance to gain valuable experience herself through helping young people achieve their dreams. Johnny Ng, who has been a Sunnyside Club volunteer for many years, said volunteering helped him demonstrate his care and give something back to society. “When you see the smiles on the faces of the young people we help, you can truly understand that it is better to serve than be served,” he said.

Old December 6th, 2006, 04:13 AM   #825
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific Toronto-Hong Kong Freighter Service Takes Flight
4 December 2006
Canadian Sailings

Cathay Pacific Airways recently celebrated the return of its dedicated cargo freighter service between Toronto and Hong Kong. The service, which resumed on Sept. 20, operates three times weekly to Hong Kong, the world's busiest international air cargo hub.

Old December 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #826
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay seeks amiable on-board ambassadors
9 December 2006
South China Morning Post

Learn about the world by travelling to cities in 35 countries and territories - and get paid for it.

With new destinations, additional services and an expanding fleet that already numbers 101 aircraft, Cathay Pacific is recruiting flight attendants to serve as on-board ambassadors, safety experts and caregivers.

Enthusiastic hopefuls should ask themselves three questions before applying, according to Cathay Pacific's manager cabin crew, Shirley Au Yeung.

Can I keep smiling and appear professional at 3am? Can I remain calm when encountering difficult situations and demanding passengers? Am I prepared to work on public holidays, during weekends and on special occasions?

Those who answer positively and are selected will join the 7,000 flight attendants from more than 10 nationalities who all work as one Cathay Pacific team.

"We need individuals with confidence, pleasant personalities and proactive service mindsets. They must be people-orientated and possess good interpersonal and communication skills," Mrs Au Yeung said.

To cope with the variety of challenges on every flight, candidates must also have excellent problem-solving skills and be tactful.

"We are hiring the right people with the right service attitude and personality, so educational qualifications and years of work experience are not our number one priority," Mrs Au Yeung said, noting that the minimum academic requirement was an HKCEE standard and a pass in English (syllabus B) or equivalent.

New recruits are provided with training on aspects such as technical and safety matters and interpersonal skills.

The first assignment is to economy class and then business class.

The promotion path is clear and continues to flight purser, then senior purser and finally, in-flight service manager.

Old December 11th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #827
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay offers high-flying careers for aspiring pilots
10 December 2006
South China Morning Post

Embark on a career that will take you to new heights. For those willing to put in a little groundwork, the sky's the limit.

Cathay Pacific is recruiting confident and disciplined young people for their Cadet Pilot Programme and eventually join their ranks as a commercial airline pilot.

"Cadets who perform to the required standard throughout the Cadet Pilot Programme will be offered employment with the company," said Ms Claire Delaney, flight crew recruitment manager, adding that the training is provided at Cathay's expense.

On completion of the course, cadets will have logged around 220 flying hours, obtained a Hong Kong Commercial Pilots Licence and a frozen Hong Kong Airline Transport Pilots Licence.

"To succeed in the Cadet Pilot Programme, you must have a genuine interest in flying, sharp judgment, excellent leadership and strong teamwork skills," said Ms. Delaney.

Not for the faint-hearted, the course is demanding, as the requisite standard is high. Approximately 85 per cent of the cadets actually complete the course.

Although it is an intense programme, there are high points to look forward to, according to the recruitment manager. "The first solo flight is a moment each cadet remembers, along with completing his or her final examination and of course, graduation," she said.

The workload is constant and time management is often the biggest challenge cadets face.

Suitable candidates should be interested not only in flying, but also in the technicalities of flying safely.

Applicants must be at least 18 years old, a Hong Kong permanent resident with an excellent command over spoken and written English. Additionally, five passes on HKCEE, including Physics and Mathematics plus two passes in HKALE or a degree in any discipline are required.

Full board is provided at Flight Training Adelaide, Parafield Airport, Adelaide, South Australia.

Old December 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #828
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

Old December 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #829
wiki

Likes (Received): 18

pretty modern planes
wiki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #830
hkskyline
Hong Kong

國泰加薪 2.5至3.5%
13 December 2006

【明報專訊】國泰航空周一拍板,明年1月1日起,普遍加薪2.5%至3.5%,各部門員工將於聖誕前收到加薪通知,有少部分表現優秀員工升幅達6%。時薪100元,入職3年內的空姐,將有3%升幅,即每小時加3元,發言人指整體升幅符合市場趨勢。

優秀員工升幅達6%

國泰聘逾萬名本地員工,約2200名甲級地面員工,將按表現加2%至3.5%,其餘一般員工加2.5%至3.5%。至於超過6000名空中服務員中,一半是時薪制空姐(1996年後入職全是時薪制),入職不足3年者,將加薪3%,超過3年者,因今年4月已加了一次,故要待明年4月才再作調整。

至於1996年前入職,仍是月薪制的空姐,將按合約規定的增薪點調整人工。國泰發言人表示,是次加薪幅度與僱主聯會及市場上的水平相若。

Old December 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #831
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific releases November 2006 traffic figures
12 December 2006
Press Release

Cathay Pacific Airways today released traffic figures for November 2006 that show a continued growth in both passenger and cargo traffic, the latter helped by the introduction of a new freighter service to Beijing.

Last month the airline carried a total of 1,374,726 passengers, up 7.1% on the same month in 2005. The passenger load factor was 78.7%, up 2.4 percentage points year on year, while capacity, measured in available seat kilometres (ASKs), rose by 4.4%. Figures for the year to date show the number of passengers carried up 8.6% over last year, ahead of an 8.1% rise in ASKs.

The airline carried 109,413 tonnes of cargo in November, a 9.3% rise on the same month last year. Capacity, measured in available cargo/mail tonne kilometres, rose by 7.8% in the same period. The month's cargo load factor was also up, by 1.8 percentage points, to 70.5%. The load factor for the year to date is 66.8%

Cathay Pacific General Manager Revenue Management, Sales & Distribution Ian Shiu said: “There is usually something of a passenger-traffic lull in November, but this year we were pleased by the high load factor and continued solid demand for travel. Business in the front-end continues to surpass expectations, and the situation overall is looking healthy as we move into the holiday peak.”

Cathay Pacific Director & General Manager Cargo Ron Mathison said: "Demand out of Hong Kong and the Mainland held up well and our loads on key long-haul routes to Europe and the United States remained very high. The introduction of our new twice-weekly freighter service to Beijing is helping us tap into the growing market in Northern China, while five extra freighter flights a week to Shanghai from 1 December will give our Mainland business a further boost.”

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0011d21c39____

Old December 16th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #832
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific to introduce three additional flights
14 December 2006
The Press Trust of India Limited

New Delhi, Dec 14 (PTI) Hongkong-based Cathay Pacific Airways today said it would augment its services by adding three more flights in the Delhi-Hong Kong, Mumbai-Hong Kong routes.

The three extra flights will operate from December 15 to January 31 period, the company said in a release.

Currently, the airline operates four flights each on these sectors, it said.

"With this development, we will be operating flights on these route on every day of the week, offering flyers variety and flexibility," Cathay Pacific Country Manager India Rupert Bray said.

Old December 26th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #833
hala

Likes (Received): 4

Lastest Commercials

Gimme a Break 2006

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UN6GxeHUFHo

The Boss from Hell 2006

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CslOIjwpPno
hala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #834
hala

Cathay Pacific landing at Kai Tak

Cathay Pacific 747 landing at Hong Kong Kai Tak BEST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YGnokcAu0c4

Cathay Pacific 747 at Hong Kong Kai Tak BEST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w2-5GEExT8o

Cathay Pacific 747-400 landing at Hong Kong Kai Tak BEST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YLmCv8IwZbM

Cathay Pacific 747-400 landing at kai tak(BBC report) BEST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GOU3MYl38XU

Last edited by hala; December 26th, 2006 at 09:41 AM.
hala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #835
advani_fan

Likes (Received): 1

nice videos. cathay has always been one of my favourite airlines

arrivederci Goodbye adeus 再见 안녕 さようなら مع السلامه Auf Wiedersehen
advani_fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #836
Frog
SSC addict

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hala View Post
Cathay Pacific landing at Kai Tak

Cathay Pacific 747 landing at Hong Kong Kai Tak BEST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YGnokcAu0c4

Cathay Pacific 747 at Hong Kong Kai Tak BEST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w2-5GEExT8o

Cathay Pacific 747-400 landing at Hong Kong Kai Tak BEST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YLmCv8IwZbM

Cathay Pacific 747-400 landing at kai tak(BBC report) BEST

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GOU3MYl38XU
I wish I had been around for Kai Tak
Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #837
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Air China, Cathay Pacific to set up cargo JV in H1 at earliest - report
9 January 2007

SHANGHAI (XFN-ASIA) - Air China Ltd (SHA 601111; HK 0753) and Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd will establish a 50-50 cargo joint venture in Shanghai in the first half of 2007 at the earliest, the China Securities Journal reported, citing an unidentified Air China official.

'The two parties are preparing details of the cargo joint venture, and substantial progress will be made by the first half or slightly after that,' the source was quoted as saying.

Air China's net profit in 2006 is expected to come in at record levels due to lower fuel costs and the rising yuan, the Shanghai Securities News reported, citing Zheng Baoan, Air China's board secretary, discussing the recent strong performance of Air China.

Air China's A-shares rose over 36 pct in the last five trading days.

'Exchange gains are expected to reach 800 mln yuan for 2006,' Zheng added.

(1 usd = 7.80 yuan)

Old January 12th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #838
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific releases December 2006 traffic figures
10 January 2007
Press Release
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0010d21c39____

Cathay Pacific Airways today released traffic figures for December 2006 that show continued growth in the number of passengers and amount of cargo carried. Figures for 2006 as a whole show both passenger growth and cargo growth keeping above the airline's rise in capacity.

Last month the airline carried a total of 1,495,023 passengers, up 5.9% on the same month in 2005. The passenger load factor was 81.2%, up one percentage point year on year, while capacity, measured in available seat kilometres (ASKs), rose by 3.3%. The number of passengers carried in the whole of 2006 was 16,727,757 - up 8.4% on the previous year and ahead of a cumulative passenger capacity increase for the year of 7.7%. The load factor for the year was 79.9%

In December Cathay Pacific carried 108,842 tonnes of cargo, a rise of 3.7% on the same month in 2005 and above a 3.6% gain in capacity, measured in available cargo/mail tonne kilometres. There was no growth in the cargo load factor during the month. For 2006 as a whole the load factor was up 1.3 points to 68.3%, while the amount of freight carried rose by 7.2% to 1,198,703 tonnes. Capacity growth lagged behind at 5.2%.

Cathay Pacific General Manager Revenue Management, Sales & Distribution Ian Shiu said: "December was a good month and business was particularly strong over the Christmas holiday peak. The load factor was high at 81.2% and we were pleased to see demand in the front end holding up. For the year as a whole saw the increase in passenger numbers staying ahead of capacity growth, with strong corporate demand helping to buoy yields"

Cathay Pacific Director & General Manager Cargo Ron Mathison said: "Our performance in December was helped by the recent launch of a twice-weekly Beijing freighter service and five extra flights a week to and from Shanghai, where demand remains strong. Our long-haul services to North America and Europe continue to do well but yields are under pressure in the face of more competition from neighbouring hubs in the region. We are also seeing an increasing shift of air cargo to marine, particularly out of Japan and Korea, as a result of high fuel prices"

Old January 12th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #839
sharpie20
Wlis

Cathay Pacific Airways to spend US$1.2 billion a year until 2009 for fleet expansion

The Associated Press
Published: January 12, 2007

HONG KONG: Hong Kong's dominant airline Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. said it is planning an annual capital expenditure of HK$9.5 billion (US$1.2 billion; €920 million) to HK$10 billion (US$1.28 billion; €1 billion) between now and 2009, mainly for fleet expansion.

Cathay Pacific plans to spend at least HK$9.5 billion each year in 2007 and 2008, and a minimum of HK$10 billion in 2009, Chief Operating Officer Tony Tyler told an analyst conference late Thursday.

Of the planned expenditure, the total to be spent on fleet expansion will be HK$7 billion this year, HK$6 billion in 2008 and HK$8 billion in 2009.

Cathay Pacific will add a total of 43 planes in the coming three years, Tyler said.

The company, which is 40 percent held by conglomerate Swire Pacific Ltd., said it expects its capacity growth to be 10 percent this year, 15 percent in 2008 and 10 percent in 2009.

While capacity growth is mainly driven by cargo expansion, Tyler said the company sees "no sign of softening passenger demand" this year.

The capital expenditure is earmarked for both Cathay Pacific and Hong Kong Dragon Airlines Ltd.

Cathay became the sole owner of unlisted Hong Kong Dragon Airlines Ltd. on completion of a complex shareholding restructuring in September.

As part of that deal, Swire Pacific's stake in Cathay Pacific fell to 40 percent from 46.3 percent, while another shareholder CITIC Pacific Ltd.'s interest in Cathay Pacific was reduced to 17.5 percent from 25.4 percent.

At the analyst conference, Swire Pacific reiterated it has no intention to further reduce its stake in Cathay Pacific.

To cut the risk caused by volatile oil prices, Cathay Pacific plans to hedge 40 percent of its fuel requirements through measures including financial derivatives to cushion any adverse impact should oil prices hit US$80-US$90 this year, Swire Pacific finance director Martin Cubbon said.

Benchmark crude oil prices have tumbled in recent months and on Thursday fell as low as $51.80 a barrel, a level not seen since May 2005.
sharpie20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #840
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific adds 11 more freighter flights a week to Europe
24 January 2007
Press Release

Cathay Pacific Airways today announced that, effective 1 February 2007, it will add a total of 11 extra freighter flights each week to three major cities in Europe: Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Manchester.

With the extra services, the number of freighter flights operated to Europe every week by the airline will rise from 25 to 36 – an increase of almost 50 per cent. The addition of the 11 flights, which are still subject to Government approval, will further strengthen Hong Kong’s position as one of the world’s leading airfreight hubs.

A total of five flights a week are being added to Frankfurt, Germany’s main cargo hub, operating every Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The extra flights, all routed through Dubai, will take to 11 the number of flights Cathay Pacific operates between Hong Kong and Frankfurt each week.

The other six new flights all follow a Hong Kong-Dubai-Manchester-Amsterdam-Dubai-Hong Kong pattern, departing Hong Kong every day of the week except Friday. Cathay Pacific already operates a freighter service to Manchester, with eight flights a week, while Amsterdam will be a new freighter destination for the airline.

Cathay Pacific Director & General Manager Cargo Ron Mathison said: “Europe is an important cargo market for Hong Kong and we are very pleased to be able to further strengthen our presence in the continent through these additional flights. The Cathay Pacific name has a good reputation in Europe and we believe the enhanced services will help us to better meet demand out of Hong Kong and the Mainland, at the same time giving a further boost to the Hong Kong hub.”

Cathay Pacific currently operates a fleet of 17 freighter aircraft, including seven Boeing 747-200s, six 747-400s and four 747-400 “Boeing Converted Freighters”. Amsterdam will become the airline’s 32nd freighter destination. The airline is committed to building Hong Kong as an airfreight hub by adding new destinations, increasing frequencies and strengthening its freighter fleet. Two more “Boeing Converted Freighters” will be delivered in 2007 and six long-range Boeing 747-400ERFs are on firm order, with deliveries starting in May 2008.

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld