daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #961
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18220

Cathay Pacific wins three major regional awards
26 October 2007
Corporate Press Release

Cathay Pacific Airways announced today that it has collected a trio of major regional awards in the past week, winning twice at the 18th TTG Travel Awards and taking a top honour from a leading industry publication in recognition of the airline's engineering excellence.

At the 2007 TTG Awards, held in Bangkok on Thursday night, Cathay Pacific lifted the prestigious Airline of the Year honour as well as being named Best North Asian Airline. General Manager Southeast Asia Anna Thompson picked up the awards on the airline's behalf.

The awards are voted for by readers of TTG Asia and its various offshoots and are given to "excellent organisations of the travel trade within the Asia Pacific region that have shown strong commitment towards service excellence".

Meanwhile, Cathay Pacific picked up one of the industry's top maintenance honours on Tuesday, 16 October when it received the 2007 Best Asia Pacific Airline MRO Operation award at a ceremony in Shanghai.

Cathay Pacific was selected by the editors at Overhaul & Maintenance magazine based on the airline's success in "delivering state-of-the-art passenger services while maintaining its commitment to safety and high-quality maintenance and engineering".

The honour was bestowed at the MRO Asia 2007 Conference & Exhibition, organised by Aviation Week, which drew 2,000 top airline executives, government officials and maintenance and safety experts from around the globe to explore the future of maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) in aviation.

Cathay Pacific Chief Operating Officer John Slosar said: It's a great honour to receive these three awards within the space of a few days. The fact that the honours come from very different sources - two from the travel trade and one from a maintenance publication - shows that we are doing things well right across the board. These awards really belong to our staff and I'd like to thank everyone at Cathay Pacific for a continued great effort."
http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/c...1026TTG_tb.jpg

Cathay Pacific's General Manager Southeast Asia Anna Thompson receives the TTG Airline of the Year award from Michael Chow, Group Publisher of TTG Asia and Supatra Chirathivat, Senior Vice President - Development of Centara Hotel Group. The award ceremony was held in Bangkok.
http://downloads.cathaypacific.com/c...1026MRO_tb.jpg

In Shanghai, Cathay Pacific's General Manager Engineering Commercial Elvis Ho receives the 2007 Best Asia/Pacific Airline MRO Operation award from Frank Jackman, Editorial Director of Overhaul and Maintenance magazine.
Media Contacts

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #962
Skyprince
Asian boi

CX is very value-for money. The service is good ( but not excellent ) but it offers very cheap fares. That's why I always use CX to Japan and Korea.
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #963
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By Kitkat from HKADB :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 29th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #964
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay in search of 1,200 new cabin crew
27 October 2007
South China Morning Post

Airlines across Asia are enjoying remarkable growth after recovering from the Sars crisis in 2003 when passenger numbers plunged. Many have expanded their routes and invested in state-of-the-art aircraft technology. Add to this the proliferation of start-up budget airlines, and these developments have resulted in a highly competitive environment throughout Asia.

Consequently, Cathay Pacific is eager to boost its workforce, which stands at 7,100 - a 17 per cent rise over the past three years.

"It is still our people who make the difference. After all, any airline can implement the latest hardware in their aircraft, but our unique service style and philosophy of service from the heart is what really distinguishes us," said Shirley Au-yeung, manager cabin crew, in-flight services department, Cathay Pacific Airways.

Cathay Pacific, like other regional airlines, has in recent years increased its flight routes. The airline flies to more than 104 destinations in 35 countries and territories.

New routes and more frequent flights will be added as the airline has already committed to expanding its fleet to at least 137 aircraft by 2011. It now operates 108.

Passenger load is also increasing. Last year the carrier moved 18 million passengers compared with 17 million for the first nine months of this year, and cabin crew are increasingly finding their customer profile to be more sophisticated and diverse.

Though recruitment of flight attendants is on a rolling basis all year round, the airline will have a walk-in day on November 4 in the hopes of meeting its goal of 1,200 fresh hires for next year.

"We are looking for people who are flexible, dynamic and, most important, have a service mindset. Their personality will be crucial. They must be warm, caring, pleasant, have an empathy in dealing with people from different cultures and ages and should also be patient, positive, proactive and decisive."

Initial training will run for five weeks, concentrating on emergency, safety and service.

"Aside from safety knowledge and hands-on safety practice, we will also teach them the service of language, service procedures, how to communicate with different cultures and grooming."

The emphasis on training will remain a dominant theme throughout their career, particularly with aircraft technology evolving rapidly. The airline has just started to retrofit all of its cabins.

"This is just one example of why our staff must be ready to learn new things all the time," she said.

Each flight attendant will be given one familiarisation flight and are then put on a monthly roster covering a variety of routes. They will be assessed by supervisors after each flight. Cabin crew will also give feedback to their managers.

The career of a flight attendant is not confined to flying. The airline encourages its staff to take on project assignments that expose them to different types of work, including ground duty, so that they can garner a more complete picture of the industry. Job transfers are also possible.

"Cabin crew fly in different teams and at different times, so the work is very dynamic and fun, but is also quite high pressured," Ms Au-yeung said. "A lot of flight attendants may find adjusting to office life quite difficult because it is so very different."

One of the biggest challenges for the management is to keep morale high and maintain a good communication system with the portion of its workforce that spends so much time away. "The management has worked very hard to keep the cabin crew close through extending support to them even when they have personal problems," Ms Au-yeung said.

"We maintain close contact with them to ensure they know what is going on in the company and try to meet them as often as possible face to face."

Part of the solution to nurturing that sense of belonging hinges on the implementation of an effective recognition system that goes beyond monetary rewards.

"We need to provide the right recognition to the crew so they know that we know they are doing a good job. That doesn't necessarily have to be in monetary form or a promotion. It can also be recognising them in one of our star performer events or sharing their success stories with the community."

Old October 29th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #965
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

More images courtesy of Airliners...

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:55 AM   #966
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemo View Post
Oh my god!!!

I love this airline!

And I don't know, why...

Since I've watched a Discovery Channel's program about the construction of the new Hong Kong Airport including a wonderful bridge, when I saw Cathay Pacific I said:

Nice name to a nice city!

I like Cathay Pacific, i like its logo...

Greetings from Mexico..
Cathay Pacific is my most favourite also, I think one of the main reasons is that my dad had been working for CX for 23 years.

Anyway, don't hesitate to go on a trip to HK.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:35 AM   #967
hkskyline
Hong Kong

INTERVIEW-Cathay Pacific to wait on next-generation planes

NEW YORK, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Cathay Pacific Airways will wait at least another two years before ordering any of the new wide-body planes offered by Boeing Co and Airbus, its chief executive said on Tuesday, despite the promise of cutting fuel costs and predictions of a surge in Asian air travel.

Hong Kong's flagship airline, which is the third-biggest in Asia, is in no hurry to make a decision and is happy to avoid the hassles experienced by rival Asian carriers of being the first to fly such revolutionary aircraft.

"If you are one of the early customers, you can be almost certain that it's going to go wrong," Tony Tyler, Cathay's chief executive, said in an interview with Reuters.

Airbus' A380 superjumbo, the largest commercial plane in the skies, entered service only last week after two years' delay, while Boeing just announced a six-month delay in producing its lightweight 787 Dreamliner.

Given the inevitable teething problems, Cathay is shying away from billion-dollar commitments for new planes that won't be delivered for five years or more.

"I don't think we are comfortable ordering that far ahead on a new aircraft type," said Tyler, who took over as Cathay CEO in July. "I don't think we'll be making a decision on any of these aircraft for at least two years."

A380 NOT AN OPTION

Cathay has a mix of large Airbus and Boeing jets in its 110-strong wide-body fleet, and is taking delivery of another 23 Boeing 777 minijumbos over the next four years or so to cope with expected growth in traffic to Hong Kong and China.

Airbus' A380, which made its maiden commercial flight for Singapore Airlines last week, is not an option for Cathay right now.

"In our current fleet and network, it doesn't make as much sense as getting more 777-300ERs," said Tyler, referring to Boeing's extended range minijumbo, which seats about 385 people, fewer than the 500 or more that the double-decker A380 can accommodate.

"All our financial modeling shows that we are better off offering more frequency with a very efficient aircraft like the 777 than simply adding more capacity to an existing frequency, which is what we would be doing if we introduced the A380," he said.

Cathay is also wary of being an early customer on an unproven commercial plane. "We want to see that aircraft (the A380) in operation for a bit first," said Tyler. "It's no fun being an early customer."

Singapore Airlines, which is Asia's largest carrier, had to wait much longer than expected for its first A380 after wiring problems repeatedly pushed the schedule back.

In the last month, Boeing has been telling its first 787 customers -- led by Japan's All Nippon Airways -- that they will have to wait at least six months more than planned as it wrestles with out-of-sequence work and a shortage of bolts.

Despite his caution over the A380, Tyler said that if Airbus stretched the plane to fit more passengers, or increased its take-off weight to extend its range, Cathay might buy.

"Either of those options would make it more economic and more competitive from our point of view," said Tyler, who wants a bigger plane which can carry more cargo and is more suited to very long trans-Pacific routes.

Airbus, a unit of European aerospace group EADS , has mentioned a stretched version of the A380, but there are no plans to build it yet.

NO DECISION ON 787 VERSUS A350

Tyler said Cathay was also interested in Boeing's 787 and Airbus' rival A350 XWB -- the new generation of mid-sized, long range, carbon-composite planes -- but gave no estimate of when a decision would be reached.

"That promises to be quite an interesting bit of work, to look at both those aircraft," he said. Cathay would be interested in the stretched 787-10 version of the Boeing plane, Tyler said, which Boeing has been considering but has not yet committed to build.

Cathay is keeping its eye on the market for new planes as air travel through its Hong Kong hub -- from which it serves mainland China destinations -- is set to grow dramatically over the next few years, spurred by the Beijing Olympics next summer.

Although Cathay's capacity -- a measure of the number of seat miles an airline offers -- is set to grow only about 3 percent this year, new planes in its fleet will help produce a year-on-year increase of about 12 percent next year, said Tyler.

"All carriers from around the world are increasing their frequency into the mainland (of China)," said Tyler. "Even in the face of increased direct competition, I'm still very confident of our ability to carry our fair share -- or more than our fair share -- of traffic."

Old October 31st, 2007, 09:38 AM   #968
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

If Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, Hong Kong Express and Hong Kong airlines were to land their entire fleets at HKG, would there be enough room to park all their planes? I've always wondered that since that is their home base.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:56 AM   #969
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong Express and Hong Kong Airlines park away from the terminal and passengers have to take the bus out to board. Looks like there are enough parking spots for planes. Having flown into HKG early in the morning before, I noticed plenty of parking spots available for aircraft.

Old October 31st, 2007, 10:11 AM   #970
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I see. I probably have to look at a picture of HKG because it's hard for me to imagine Cathay Pacific parking 100+ of their widebodies as well as Dragonair's widebodies if somehow they were all called home.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM   #971
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

I see. I probably have to look at a picture of HKG because it's hard for me to imagine Cathay Pacific parking 100+ of their widebodies as well as Dragonair's widebodies if somehow they were all called home.
A lot of the long-haul planes are likely abroad and spending the overnight overseas / making the trip home.

Old October 31st, 2007, 03:37 PM   #972
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
A lot of the long-haul planes are likely abroad and spending the overnight overseas / making the trip home.
It probably costs less to park the plane overseas than have them staying in HKIA; in fact HKIA parking fee is one of the most expensive in the world.
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:36 PM   #973
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific takes New Product Roadshow to New York
Additional daily service to be launched

30 October 2007
Airline Industry Information

Cathay Pacific Airways has said that from today (30 October) it is offering New Yorkers a first glimpse of its newly-designed aircraft cabins.

The airline's New Product Roadshow, which features a mobile presentation suite complete with the interior 'look and feel' of the airline's new in-flight products for First, Business and Economy classes, displays the cabin design.

The Cathay Pacific Roadshow will visit the following New York City locations: 30 October, Rockefeller Plaza 48th Street (Between 5th and 6th), New York City; 31 October, Chinatown Chatham Square at St James, New York City; 1 November, Bryant Park 40th Street (Near 6th Avenue), New York City; 2 November, Rockefeller Plaza 11 West at 51st Street, New York City.

The airline said The Cathay Pacific New Product Roadshow also visited San Francisco and Los Angeles. It will be following the roadshow and, in conjunction with the installation of the new product on New York flights, introducing a third daily service between John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Hong Kong beginning 15 November 2007.

Old October 31st, 2007, 08:11 PM   #974
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Cathay Pacific takes New Product Roadshow to New York
Additional daily service to be launched

30 October 2007
Airline Industry Information

Cathay Pacific Airways has said that from today (30 October) it is offering New Yorkers a first glimpse of its newly-designed aircraft cabins.

The airline's New Product Roadshow, which features a mobile presentation suite complete with the interior 'look and feel' of the airline's new in-flight products for First, Business and Economy classes, displays the cabin design.

The Cathay Pacific Roadshow will visit the following New York City locations: 30 October, Rockefeller Plaza 48th Street (Between 5th and 6th), New York City; 31 October, Chinatown Chatham Square at St James, New York City; 1 November, Bryant Park 40th Street (Near 6th Avenue), New York City; 2 November, Rockefeller Plaza 11 West at 51st Street, New York City.

The airline said The Cathay Pacific New Product Roadshow also visited San Francisco and Los Angeles. It will be following the roadshow and, in conjunction with the installation of the new product on New York flights, introducing a third daily service between John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Hong Kong beginning 15 November 2007.
I would have gone if it were over the weekend; but too bad it's on weekday~~

Here is the official website:
http://www.cathayroadshow.com/sitedefault.asp
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM   #975
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cathay Pacific celebrates upcoming launch of third daily flight to New York
1 November 2007
Corporate Press Release

Cathay Pacific Airways yesterday celebrated the impending launch of its third daily flight to New York at a gala event in the US city. The airline begins the new CX840/841 service – its second daily non-stop flight between Hong Kong and New York - on 15 November using brand-new Boeing 777-300ER ultra-long-haul aircraft.

The New York addition is the latest in a series of service enhancements as part of Cathay Pacific’s ongoing commitment to build Hong Kong’s position as a leading international aviation hub. In the summer the airline added additional flights to Vancouver, and in October mounted additional scheduled services to Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Tokyo and San Francisco.

Cathay Pacific has also just announced that it will operate an extra flight each week to Surabaya from 1 February 2008. The new flight will depart every Wednesday from Hong Kong, making a total of five flights every week between Hong Kong and Indonesia’s second-largest city.

The airline’s Chief Executive, Tony Tyler, flew to the US to welcome guests at the launch event for the latest network enhancement. “We are delighted to be able to further serve the North America market with this additional New York flight – and are very excited about being able to operate it with our new 777-300ER aircraft fitted with our ground-breaking new three-class long-haul product,” Mr Tyler said.

“We are fully committed to strengthening our fleet and expanding our services as we move forward, helping to further cement Hong Kong’s position as one of the world’s premier aviation hubs,” Mr Tyler added.

Cathay Pacific will take delivery of 23 Boeing 777-300ERs by 2011 and three have already been delivered to the airline. Five of the aircraft will be in service by the end of the year and as more arrive they will be used to enhance Cathay Pacific’s services on its important North American trunk routes.

All the new deliveries will come fitted with the airline’s new long-haul seats and cabins which feature luxurious suites in First Class, full-flat beds with enhanced privacy in Business Class and revolutionary new seats in Economy Class that recline within a fixed shell to improve passenger comfort. All aircraft also feature a brand-new inflight entertainment system that features audio and video on demand in all classes.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM   #976
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

I would celebrate if Cathay Pacific announces a flight to Mexico City....

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM   #977
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

HK Gov't Gazatte:
Licence Granted from HK to cities on Hainan Island
Old November 3rd, 2007, 04:54 PM   #978
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemo View Post
I would celebrate if Cathay Pacific announces a flight to Mexico City....
Well, Cathay is not flying to Mexico City at the moment, but interesting article from the archives :

Direct flights to Mexico on the cards next year
1 June 2005
South China Morning Post

Direct passenger flights between Hong Kong and Mexico City could take off this time next year, although business travellers are expected to continue flying via the US.

According to Mexico's consul-general in Hong Kong, Mario Leal, Cathay Pacific Airways said code-sharing between Hong Kong and Mexican carriers could start by next year, with direct flights available in a year's time.

Passengers flying from Hong Kong to Mexico have to transit in the US, usually in Los Angeles.

An air services agreement hammered out between Hong Kong and Mexico during talks about six weeks ago will pave the way for their respective carriers to fly directly and bypass the US.

The Hong Kong government said the agreement was still being finalised and that it would be up to the airlines how the flights were structured. "We are aiming to have the air services agreement signed with the Hong Kong government by August or September. Then, we will work with Cathay Pacific on direct flights," Mr Leal said.

Cathay welcomed the prospect of serving a new market but reserved further comment until an agreement was signed.

Direct passenger flights are expected to provide a much-needed boost to tourist numbers as only about 7,500 mainland visitors made it to Mexico each year, the consul-general said.

The number of Hong Kong holidaymakers is slightly better, at about 10,000 a year.

Mexico started granting visa-free entry to Hong Kong passport holders last September.

The country's tourism push is marked by next week's International Tourism Expo, in which Mexico is taking part for the first time. Depending on the response, the operations of Mexico's sole promotion agency in the region might be expanded.

Old November 4th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #979
hkskyline
Hong Kong

國泰港龍聘1400空姐
04/11/2007

【本報訊】內地航空市場開放,為港人帶來更多就業良機。國泰及港龍航空明年將合共招聘近一千四百名機艙服務員,來配合公司進軍內地市場的需要,故要求應徵者必須能操流利普通話,而新入職空姐的月薪連津貼則約一萬一千至一萬二千元。國泰發言人指,未來四年多該公司將有三十一架新飛機陸續投入服務,故明年需要進行大規模招聘。

Old November 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #980
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By Star Alliance from HKADB :

Tags
cathay pacific, east asian airlines, hong kong, oneworld